Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1of7
Jan 30, 2011
Vilerat have you been through a shutdown before? What exactly happens?

Someone on Livelines posted that the ambassador's still expect you to work, but getting paid for it can be a problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
Doesn't bother me, HR said it won't affect my A-100 class.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

Vilerat posted:

So who else is psyched for a shutdown? Hell yes I am! :mad:

We'll see if I'm essential staff. I'm guessing I will be, especially as my boss won't be at work. I'm already making contingency plans to have enough cash on hand etc.

SWATJester posted:

Hope HR is right!

Slingshot Smith
Jul 1, 2010
Yup ... the next couple of weeks and beyond should prove to be very interesting.

May end up with some free time.

Talking to a vet that went through the 1995 shutdown ... he ended up with some unscheduled days off, but was paid for the days after the new budget got passed. With the deficit and political client in DC these days not so sure we would get paid for unworked days this time around.

Going to be challenging for awhile

Vilerat posted:

So who else is psyched for a shutdown? Hell yes I am! :mad:

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.

Tortilla Maker posted:

I see that labor is listed under the Political track. Can anyone with experience in this capacity expand on their experiences? What does the training entail, what are typical assignments, when on a consular rotation do they push the visa interviews on you due to the labor background, etc.

Would appreciate any background on this aspect of the State Department.

I was Labor Officer at my previous post. I didn't receive the labor officers training course before I did my job, though it might have been useful. The course itself gives an overview of labor issues of interest to the USG, including efforts to combat child and forced labor. It also covers the role of labor unions, etc.

Though post's labor officer usually comes under the political section, the economic section is a possibility, too. Overseas, there are basically three possibilities that will give someone the opportunity to work labor issues. First, there are positions for full-time labor officers, including regional labor officers in places like the Caribbean. Then there are jobs formally designated as Pol-Labor or Econ-Labor, where labor is a formal part of the position. Finally, in most places labor simply makes up part of the portfolio of a political or economic officer, but is not part of the formal job title. All these jobs are bid in the usual fashion.

A labor background probably isn't going to have any effect on one's consular tour, and moreover is likely to take place after the initial entry-level assignments.

Homie S
Aug 6, 2001

This is what it means

SWATJester posted:

bwahahahaha

edit for substance: don't believe everything HR tells you. You will soon (hopefully) find out how it's a crap shoot.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
I figured it sounded legit along the lines of "FSI is a vital governmental function that cannot actually shutdown unless of a major emergency".

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

SWATJester posted:

I figured it sounded legit along the lines of "FSI is a vital governmental function that cannot actually shutdown unless of a major emergency".

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHA!

FSI closed for a week when it snowed.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
So did metrorail though too. Everything shutdown.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

SWATJester posted:

So did metrorail though too. Everything shutdown.

Not everything...

;)

Somehow, I don't think this current Congress would be amused that training new federal employees is considered a critical government function.

JohnnyHildo
Jul 23, 2002

SWATJester posted:

Don't count on anything. I know some 1811s who were out of work during the last shutdown.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Eh, I don't trust anything in DC anymore.

:paranoid:

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
I think that if you have any courses scheduled at FSI they're already funded and there's no need for a new budget to keep them running. Stuff like the cafeteria may not be open though, which is sort of a blessing in disguise.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

AKA Pseudonym posted:

I think that if you have any courses scheduled at FSI they're already funded and there's no need for a new budget to keep them running. Stuff like the cafeteria may not be open though, which is sort of a blessing in disguise.

haha.

In the Fed jobs, they mentioned some guy's amendment to freeze steps and promotions...

That would suck for us.

Homie S
Aug 6, 2001

This is what it means

JohnnyHildo posted:

Don't count on anything. I know some 1811s who were out of work during the last shutdown.

1811s aren't considered first responders, so this isn't surprising.

Also, :(

Vilerat
May 11, 2002
Last shutdown was for a very short period of time. People got sent home unless they were essential staff, and it turns out because of the brief nature of it that it would cost more to figure out the mechanics of not paying everybody for those days than it was really worth it so nobody lost money.

In theory if a shutdown happens we get sent home and told to stay without pay. If you are deemed essential you get paid and show up for work. If they say you need to show up for work but you are not essential and thus don't get paid, you call DC immediately because that's not legal.

-edit-

I'm pretty sure that working at a consulate means I'm hosed though.

Vilerat fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Feb 22, 2011

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

This is amazing. And one of the most riveting OIG reports I've read. . . .

http://oig.state.gov/documents/organization/156129.pdf

Jimb
Feb 14, 2005
Wow that is bad, even a negative inspector general report comes off as dry, dull, and professional. That was just searing with contempt. (it was awesome)

Jimb fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Feb 24, 2011

1of7
Jan 30, 2011
Just read today that they are trying to get rid of the Overseas Comparability Pay:
http://www.federaltimes.com/article/20110222/DEPARTMENTS08/102220301/

I haven't even started yet and I already have to worry about a pay cut. :-(

Tortilla Maker
Dec 13, 2005
Un Desmadre A Toda Madre

Business of Ferrets posted:

Lovely.

And I'm pleased to see that there is a widespread hatred of E2.

Slingshot Smith
Jul 1, 2010

Read the report a couple of weeks ago ...

It would be scary to be assigned to that post ... it seems things got a bit out of control.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

1of7 posted:

Just read today that they are trying to get rid of the Overseas Comparability Pay:
http://www.federaltimes.com/article/20110222/DEPARTMENTS08/102220301/

I haven't even started yet and I already have to worry about a pay cut. :-(

Yeah, pretty fantastic.

Vilerat
May 11, 2002
Sorry I couldn't find a real news site to link.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/02/23/diplomats-union-pushes-proposal-cut-foreign-service-locality-pay/

quote:

The organization representing America's diplomats is pushing back after the House voted to strip pay bonuses for Foreign Service officers working overseas.

The House voted Saturday for the Foreign Service pay provision as part of the broader Republican-authored budget bill to fund the government at reduced levels through the end of the fiscal year. Rep. Tom Reed, R-N.Y., who sponsored the amendment, said it would save taxpayers millions.

"At a time when other federal employees have had their salaries frozen or reduced, we cannot and should not be giving massive, automatic pay raises to any federal employees," Reed said in a statement.

But Susan Johnson, president of the American Foreign Service Association, said it's wrong to call it a pay raise.

The policy targeted by Reed involves what's known as "locality pay," which provides federal workers with extra money on top of their base salaries which varies depending on what city they're in. Employees living in costly areas like New York get a bigger bump than those in less expensive areas like central North Carolina. For years, Foreign Service workers abroad did not receive locality pay, though their counterparts in Washington, D.C., did -- that is, until Congress in 2009 approved a short-term fix, phasing in the Washington, D.C., rate of 24 percent for those serving abroad.

Reed's proposal would do away with that increase, but Johnson said the change would effectively "penalize" any Foreign Service worker who wants to serve overseas. The lower pay doesn't just affect their annual salary, she said, but also their pension benefits, which are based on pay. Plus she said Foreign Service workers sometimes lose the benefit of a second salary, if their spouse moves with them and can't find a job. Take out locality pay and the problem deepens, Johnson said.

"It's a recruitment issue. It's a retention issue. It's a morale issue. It's an equity issue," she told FoxNews.com.

But leaders of the bipartisan deficit commission suggested last year that the locality pay be stripped for overseas workers. Their report cited Congressional Budget Office estimates that claimed permanently repealing locality pay for State Department workers overseas could save $427 million in fiscal 2013. Reed said his proposal would save $140 million this year.

The commission report also noted Department of Defense employees do not receive locality pay, "but there are currently no proposals to give them this benefit" -- though Johnson noted they receive other benefits.

Johnson said her group is lobbying senators to oppose Reed's proposal.

Diplomats union? Really?

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK YOUR HAND IN THE TV DO IT DO IT DO IT

Vilerat posted:

Sorry I couldn't find a real news site to link.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/02/23/diplomats-union-pushes-proposal-cut-foreign-service-locality-pay/

Diplomats union? Really?

You know, the more you guys post lately, the more happy I am that I didn't qualify for that IMS listing this year. :(

Vilerat
May 11, 2002

quote:

Dear AFSA Colleagues,

This is a follow up to my message of February 16th to share our take on how the budget process on Capitol Hill may impact the Foreign Service and your compensation and/or work. This process has moved quite rapidly and we wanted to be sure that we had a good feel for various issues before offering our assessment. My previous report focused on President Obama's FY12 Budget Request and the not yet resolved FY11 budget. I would like to focus this message on the FY11 budget process and how you might engage Congress as part of a broad based, grassroots AFSA effort.

HR 1: The House of Representatives did pass a budget proposal for the FY11 budget late last Friday. There was a contentious debate surrounding this legislation in determining where cuts would occur. The process surrounding this proposal was conducted outside the normal channels for appropriations and budget consideration, something that is highly unusual. The bill (HR1) went to the floor of the House with significant proposed cuts from the FY11 request for international affairs, including approximately $1.1b for State, $205m in Operating Expenses for USAID, $83m for the Foreign Agriculture Service, and $93m for the International Trade Administration (part of Commerce). As AFSA understands, nearly six hundred amendments were presented and debated.

The Reed Amendment: Of particular concern is an amendment offered by Rep. Tom Reed (R-NY 28th) designed to roll back the hard won progress we have made on overseas comparability pay. The Reed amendment was designed to restrict funds from being used to close the pay gap. Rep. Reed apparently misunderstood and mischaracterized the facts related to OCP. In the end, the Reed amendment was agreed to (without a recorded vote) and included in the final House bill.

AFSA has been reaching out to State management and our supporters in the Senate to determine the impact of this amendment on closing the pay gap. The media has been calling and we have done several interviews (Government Executive, Federal Times, Washington Post, Fox News, Florida radio). We are working to exclude this amendment in the final version of the FY11 budget and could use your help in pursuit of that goal.

Action with the Senate: Of course, the Senate still needs to develop a counter proposal to the House passed version. There still seem to be some question as to whether the amendment affects the 16% of OCP that has already been given or not. Reliable sources in the Senate say that the House Bill (including the Reed amendment) is dead on arrival and that it is highly unlikely that there will be any backtracking on the 16% we currently have. However, the budget climate on Capitol Hill does lead us to conclude that it will be extremely difficult to secure funding for the final 8%, although we will still try.

Talk of a Shutdown: The larger backdrop on the budget relates to a possible government shutdown. The government has been operating on a Continuing Resolution, which expires on March 4. The parties are quite far apart on the FY11 budget and a shutdown is not unrealistic. AFSA will keep you informed of any developments in this regard. AFSA will be sending AFSA Post Reps information on how the shutdown was handled in the 1990s but it will be up to federal agencies to handle specific procedures, etc. The Department is currently working on those details.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Jedi425 posted:

You know, the more you guys post lately, the more happy I am that I didn't qualify for that IMS listing this year. :(

Since I have been here I have:
Taken a 3 day cruise on the Nile and snorkeled off the coast of Egypt
I floated through a class 5 rapid on the Nile which will soon be flooded by a dam in Uganda - the raft went vertical and water swept me into the rapid
Spent Thanksgiving at an Eco lodge in Uganda and ran after chimps through a gorge while dodging hippos
Broke my leg during a drill
Learned to drive a motorcycle and have driven some amazing motorcycle roads
Observed a Presidential Election
Had a cheetah jump on our safari car which meant I was 2feet away from a hungry kitty. Later saw 5 cheetahs almost kill a reedbuck.
Saw the big 5
Camped in one of the oldest rain forests in the world.

Yeah so our budget is tight and cuts are on the table. I've still had a great time

TCD fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Dec 8, 2015

Vilerat
May 11, 2002
Since I've been in I've:

Cruised the nile dodging alligators,
Had an AK47 shoved in my chest in Kinshasa by an airport military guy trying to get me to bribe him.
Stayed at a castle in Shannon Ireland for the US-EU summit
Saw 'W' in his boxers at that summit because he forgot his curtains were open,
Rode on a camel to see the pyramids,
Had rockets fired at me in Baghdad,
Watched people have what they say is the best seafood in the world in a small seaside restaurant in Mozambique (I do not like seafood but they seemed to enjoy it...),
Played with baby lions and tigers in Johannesburg,
Learned that people born and raised in San Diego should never ever move to Montreal.

Next I move to the Netherlands.

If you're doing this for money/benefits then you're not doing this right.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Vilerat posted:

Saw 'W' in his boxers at that summit because he forgot his curtains were open,

Hey, that is a State Secret mister! The Secret Service has been dispatched. Assume the submission position, as they will be with you shortly.

Seriously, they were Pink, weren't they?

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Vilerat posted:

Learned that people born and raised in San Diego should never ever move to Montreal.

As a fellow San Diegan, I could have told you that. . . .

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK YOUR HAND IN THE TV DO IT DO IT DO IT

Slaan posted:

Hey, that is a State Secret mister! The Secret Service has been dispatched. Assume the submission position, as they will be with you shortly.

Seriously, they were Pink, weren't they?

OK, that might be worth the trouble, then.

I just wonder what you guys are going to do when Congress passes their Mandatory Government Employee Organ Donation plan to try and fix the budget. :v:

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Jedi425 posted:

OK, that might be worth the trouble, then.

I just wonder what you guys are going to do when Congress passes their Mandatory Government Employee Organ Donation plan to try and fix the budget. :v:

All of my organs probably have too much heavy metals in them for anyone to make use of them. And I probably don't have to say that you wouldn't ever want to be the recipient of a diplomat's liver. . . .

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Somehow I wonder whether the Senate, of all bodies the one that should be most concerned with protecting the Foreign Service, will get their act together and smack down the House republicans.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

And I probably don't have to say that you wouldn't ever want to be the recipient of a diplomat's liver. . . .

Party tonight, birthday party tomorrow night.

It's like freshmen year college.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

TCD posted:

Party tonight, birthday party tomorrow night.

It's like freshmen year college.

Okay, I was having some doubts, but this is the job for me. Thanks.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
This particular chain of conversation is getting OP'd. At the top of the OP. Yeah.

Vilerat
May 11, 2002
I'm pretty sure we had a party every day in Baghdad.

I'm pretty sure we weren't particularly responsible at those parties.

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Vilerat posted:

I'm pretty sure we had a party every day in Baghdad.

I'm pretty sure we weren't particularly responsible at those parties.

Still going strong here! (No more free beer, though.)

Grampa, tell us again the stories about the free beer. . . .

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
At my last post had too much fun and couldn't party at the Marine House anymore.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

AKA Pseudonym posted:

At my last post had too much fun and couldn't party at the Marine House anymore.

Hahaha we're getting there.

I missed a happy hour at the Marines where they had free beers. loving free beer.

Anyways, yeah, this is a culture of having a good time. My wife goes to a evening work related meeting once a week. I go over to a buddy's house (who's FSO's wife always works late) and more or less through a small guys house party. You know, the one where 5 guys get together, drink, smoke cigars, throw darts, listen to loud music like NIN, etc.

Even with this proposed budget cut, this is still an awesome gig. Would we be getting underpaid? Probably. But, I've made some really good friends and had an amazing year+ for my first tour. In fact, probably one of our closest friends is newly expecting (I was the first one told, and I knew about it anyways due to my job) and it looks like we'll be in DC together for training when she's 7 months along. The husband will be at Post, and more or less said take care of her until he can get leave. Would I do that? Hell yes, I'd carry her groceries up 10 flights of stairs every day because I know he'd do the same for me and my wife. We've only known each other for 17 months, but I'd do it no questions asked.

That's the great part of this job, and living in Africa. You really will meet some great people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kase Im Licht
Jan 26, 2001
Failed the DSS BEX this week. Boooo.

Went pretty well at least. And had a nice conversation with one my examiners afterward. I get the feeling I answered the diplomat questions better than the DSS questions or something, because he spent a lot of time talking to me about being an FSO and how great it is.