Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fougera
Apr 5, 2009
For those who are working at a six-figure-salary firm job, do you really enjoy it? Is the money worth it? Honest question. Even though I'm pretty set on something not law I can't help but think of "what ifs." Also I'm jealous of my classmates who will be making more than me out of the gate...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheSqueeze
Jun 27, 2005

Lowden Swain posted:

I thought TYLA's regional problem this year was the robbery of and double murder at Everything's A Dollar (and a piece of poo poo that required stipulations to be bolted on so that the robbery charge couldn't be flushed at directed verdict)?

/assistant coach of a trial team

It was, but during the round in which I portrayed the defendant, both teams made a big deal out of my motive, or lack thereof. I only saw the problem play out in the one trial, but some evidence suggested that the defendant robbed Everything's a Dollar because he was desperate for money. Somewhere within the transcript of the previous proceeding in the case materials, the defendant says something along the lines of "I had tons of money, my friend 'Bob' just paid good on a $2000 loan!." The reciprocal cross point is that he doesn't know the guys last name, and thinks 'Bob' probably just suddenly "left town for Jamaica". I just tired to spin the cross point in a way that was minimally damaging.

TheSqueeze fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Feb 25, 2011

Copernic
Sep 16, 2006

...A Champion, who by mettle of his glowing personal charm alone, saved the universe...

HiddenReplaced posted:

Ok...so when I start working at a firm I need to figure out some way to drag the work out for the right amount of time, BUT not too long...great...

Honestly, it's a skill that you learn.

srsly
Aug 1, 2003

fougera posted:

For those who are working at a six-figure-salary firm job, do you really enjoy it? Is the money worth it? Honest question. Even though I'm pretty set on something not law I can't help but think of "what ifs." Also I'm jealous of my classmates who will be making more than me out of the gate...

I enjoy it so far. The great health benefits and flexible work schedule (both time and location-wise) are not something I've ever had before. The salary is not something I've ever had before, and the fact that I can max out my 401k, pay off debts, save, and still buy random poo poo that looks really cool/join a $180/month kickass gym/eat sushi whenever I want... yeah. It makes the pressure and hours totally worth it to me.

I however, am (kind of) single. I don't know how well this would work if you were in a serious relationship where this sort of time commitment was not the status quo. It's a good thing that my marriage fell apart last year, cuz it certainly wouldn't have survived this.

Not that I'm in this lifestyle though, anybody I manage to meet/have a relationship with will be accustomed to it. No bait and switch.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
How is the legal services industry like Apple computer?

No Jobs

http://instantrimshot.com/

mongeese
Mar 30, 2003

If you think in fractals...

fougera posted:

I enjoy it, but my office is very laid back and a patent attorney's job tends to be much easier than the average attorney's job as far as time goes. I earn well into six figures, but I'm not even in the office 40 hours a week and will probably be able to take 30+ vacation days this year if I want to take time off instead of just bill.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

rsvandy posted:

I enjoy it, but my office is very laid back and a patent attorney's job tends to be much easier than the average attorney's job as far as time goes.
This isn't true at all firms.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

fougera posted:

I love my job (sixth year associate, patent lit, vault 50 firm), though it is not something I want to do indefinitely.

Though I loved it a little more before I realized my co-worker is completely loving batshit insane.

e: I am married and have a puppy, but no kids.

gvibes fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Feb 25, 2011

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

rsvandy posted:

a patent attorney's job tends to be much easier than the average attorney's job as far as time goes.
:lol:

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.
From the med student thread:

Ratatozsk posted:

Even when a school is fully accredited, that needs to be renewed every 8 years. Let's add this to the ever-longer list of reasons why med school is better than law school.

movax posted:

This a million times. I have referred many a friend to the law school thread in A/T, and I'd like to think that's saved their souls. It just takes one look at that hilariously huge demotivator and they run far, far away.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

It's odd how the "Grad School Megathread" is in a D&D subforum, the "MBA Megathread" is in an Ask/Tell subforum, the "Law School Megathread" is in Ask/Tell proper, and the "Med School Megathread" is in a Watch & Woot subforum (wtf)

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

Here's an oddly relevant new cartoon.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
:ssh: Rumor mill: Texas is now T14.

atlas of bugs
Aug 19, 2003

BOOTSTRAPPING
MILLIONAIRE
ONE-PERCENTER
The Lawgoons Summer House is happening.

WHO ELSE IS DOWN

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Red Bean Juice posted:

Here's an oddly relevant new cartoon.

What's the "zzz" in the right panel?

Kase Im Licht
Jan 26, 2001
Today I congratulated a friend on getting a job as a paralegal, close to a year and a half after graduating law school.

Also, cop interview at the end of the month. I think I've been rejected by all the cool federal agent jobs at this point, so hopefully I'll at least get to use that law degree to make sure I'm writing speeding tickets constitutionally.

Damn Phantom
Nov 20, 2005
ZERG LERKER
http://abovethelaw.com/2011/02/drunk-and-disorderly-conduct-at-uc-davis-law-prom/

Hahahaha, although I hear certain parts of this account are embellished the accounts regarding property damage seem to be accurate. I'm saving my liver for my working years, so I didn't go.

Highlights from the article include:

quote:

1L stole a bottle of Patrón from the bar and started lining up shots.

2L punched out a security guard, got ejected.

Vomiting in in the library stacks, on the books.

1L girl vomited in the bathroom, slipped in her own vomit, split her head on the
floor, and bled all over the bathroom. Girls started lining up in the guys’ bathroom soon after.

Fornicating in the stairwells, in the library stacks, on the bus ride home.

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep
If any London lawgoons want to meet up for a drink or something over the next eight or so days, send me a pm or email me at jesus green at gmail.com. Doesn't matter if we've never spoken or if you're generally a lurker.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

CaptainScraps posted:

GeorgeTTTown?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

MoFauxHawk posted:

If any London lawgoons want to meet up for a drink or something over the next eight or so days, send me a pm or email me at jesus green at gmail.com. Doesn't matter if we've never spoken or if you're generally a lurker.
I can be a London lawgoon.
Send me a plane ticket.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

MoFauxHawk posted:

Have you experienced Infernos in Clapham yet?

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

entris posted:

What's the "zzz" in the right panel?

Associate sleeping on the floor, it's a bit harder to see with the guy in the way

William Munny
Aug 16, 2005
He should have armed himself if he was goin' to decorate his establishment with my friend.

CaptainScraps posted:

I don't feel very elite.

edit: also, where did you hear this?

William Munny fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Feb 26, 2011

Former Everything
Nov 28, 2007

Is this right?

TheSqueeze posted:

Can I ask where your regional was? I can't try out for my school's team until the end of 1L year, but I was the defendant in a Saturday round. When the State crossed me on the obviously fabricated motive-eliminating man who gave me $2000 and then left for Jamaica, I mentioned that the Jamaican embassy was right next to DA's office, and they could probably contact him through the consulate. Got some lols.

I'm in Region 7, held this year in Louisville. For the assistant trial coach guy, this year's problem definitely had a few problems. My partner and I only moved on because we developed a pretty drat good prosecution theory that threw several teams off balance.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Adar posted:

GeorgeTTTown?

GeorgeTTTiedtown

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

HiddenReplaced posted:

From the med student thread:

this thread is...working?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Der Meister posted:

this thread is...working?

Hey dude what're you doing in here? Sup with you?

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

Residency Evil posted:

Hey dude what're you doing in here? Sup with you?

:blush:

atlas of bugs
Aug 19, 2003

BOOTSTRAPPING
MILLIONAIRE
ONE-PERCENTER

MoFauxHawk posted:

Sup lurker, you may recognize me as Famous Lawgoon MoFoHawk.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

CaptainScraps posted:

The "rumor mill" also said Michigan was going to be ranked #6 a year or two ago. The rumor mill is dumb.

atlas of bugs
Aug 19, 2003

BOOTSTRAPPING
MILLIONAIRE
ONE-PERCENTER

Linguica posted:

The "rumor mill" also said Michigan was going to be ranked #6 a year or two ago. The rumor mill is dumb.

just like mich grads :smug:

atlas of bugs
Aug 19, 2003

BOOTSTRAPPING
MILLIONAIRE
ONE-PERCENTER
*is not in law school*

*was never in a T14*

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

CaptainScraps posted:

GeorgeTTTiedtown

GeorgeTTTexas

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

atlas of bugs posted:

The Lawgoons Summer House is happening.

WHO ELSE IS DOWN

join us

we will be drinking

atlas of bugs
Aug 19, 2003

BOOTSTRAPPING
MILLIONAIRE
ONE-PERCENTER
if you are a lawgoon and unemployed there is no reason not to join the LAWGOON SUMMER HOUSE Starring SULECRIST Ft. ATLAS OF PUGS

quick FAQ:

Q: will there be drinks
A: will there be a lawyer

Q: will I get a tan???
A: you would never really ask that question because T1 law students are all pale and gangly

Q: whodat
A: say they gon' beat dem saints

Q: where at
A: the American Southwest

Q: will I get murdered
A: Lawgoons are murderers, not vice versa

Q: when?
A: May-July

Q: but why??
A: cheap rent and a good time for the unemployed

Q: what happens when lawgoons stop playing nice, and start getting real??
A: Lawgoon House 2k11

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

What's the address?

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
drat, if I didn't have a job I would make that happen.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I do have a job but it has ~~vacation tiiiiime~~~~~~ but I'm honestly not sure what you're talking about with this lawgoon summer house thing

atlas of bugs
Aug 19, 2003

BOOTSTRAPPING
MILLIONAIRE
ONE-PERCENTER

Ainsley McTree posted:

I do have a job but it has ~~vacation tiiiiime~~~~~~ but I'm honestly not sure what you're talking about with this lawgoon summer house thing

Sule and I are renting a house in New Mexico for the summer, open to all lawgoons for parties and intentional torts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atlas of bugs
Aug 19, 2003

BOOTSTRAPPING
MILLIONAIRE
ONE-PERCENTER
Lawgoon House is a cool place to hang out. You can find most of the cool people there. At the Lawgoon House you can just chill and do whatever and totally relax. "Take it easy" is the Lawgoon motto, for example, that's how laid back it is there. Show up if you want to have a good time. Another good reason to show up is if you want to hang out with friends.