Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flaky
Feb 14, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Dead Money is a buggy pile of poo-poo. I wouldn't touch it until someone bothers to spend some serious time ironing it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead
For anyone who wanted The Armory in fomod version rather than RAR for easy installation or uninstallation, I uploaded the fomod here.

To install using the FOMOD version, click on Package Manager in FOMM and then click on the Add FOMOD drop down. Navigate to where you downloaded it and choose it. Once it shows up in your list, you can select it and activate or deactivate it to install or uninstall as you like.

The testing builds will remain in rar format though.

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

(and can't post for 2 years!)

Flaky posted:

Dead Money is a buggy pile of poo-poo. I wouldn't touch it until someone bothers to spend some serious time ironing it out.

Just a heads up: you can say poo poo here.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Flaky posted:

I haven't hit any real bugs in it. The balance feels a little off, like it's aimed endgame level characters even though by the endgame you've given up caring about poo poo like all the gold in the vault or money in general.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

:dukedog:

DemonNick posted:

I haven't hit any real bugs in it. The balance feels a little off, like it's aimed endgame level characters even though by the endgame you've given up caring about poo poo like all the gold in the vault or money in general.

The fact that the weapons don’t work with established perks is a pretty big bug by itself.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Terpfen posted:

The fact that the weapons don’t work with established perks is a pretty big bug by itself.

there are mods that fix that already

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Mod wise I found that weather mods make it crash pretty hard. Turn them off. With Nevada Skies URWLified at least tell it to stop doing stuff (disable all special moods and general settings) and it should be fine. Project Nevada works perfectly well with it. It's buggy as hell otherwise though. I couldn't get any but a single ending to work properly, the weapons don't get perks applied, the new mechanics it adds bug out at times, etc.

quote:

I decided to be classy and take a single bar.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

That's not really a bug, it's more of an oversight. And there was a mod out to fix it like an hour after Dead Money came out.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

Gyshall posted:

DemonNick posted:

That's not really a bug, it's more of an oversight. And there was a mod out to fix it like an hour after Dead Money came out.

Yeah, guys, I realize there’s a mod out to fix it. The point is, it shouldn’t be necessary in the first place.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Gyshall posted:

This one?. It's not complete yet (doesn't do Commando for the holorifle, for example). Or is there another one?

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Terpfen posted:

Yeah, guys, I realize there’s a mod out to fix it. The point is, it shouldn’t be necessary in the first place.

It's not really a huge deal though? Sure it shouldn't have happened, and if Obs is professional at all it'll be fixed in the upcoming patch.

I was mostly responding to Flaky, who makes it sound like it's a huge buggy mess, which it really isn't. Compared to the FO3 DLC it's really clean and tight.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

DemonNick posted:

It's not really a huge deal though? Sure it shouldn't have happened, and if Obs is professional at all it'll be fixed in the upcoming patch.

There’s a patch in the works with a lot of fixes included, but having weapons work with the correct perks is sort of a basic thing that should make it in to begin with, IMO.

Flaky
Feb 14, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

DemonNick posted:

I was mostly responding to Flaky, who makes it sound like it's a huge buggy mess, which it really isn't. Compared to the FO3 DLC it's really clean and tight.

No, It is exactly as terrible as I expected the DLC phenomenon would be and is, only much much worse.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Flaky posted:

No, It is exactly as terrible as I expected the DLC phenomenon would be and is, only much much worse.

OK cool care to say why or are you just going to keep going NO THIS IS BAD GUYS DON'T YOU GET IT IT'S AWFUL until you get bored?

Flaky
Feb 14, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Dickeye posted:

OK cool care to say why or are you just going to keep going NO THIS IS BAD GUYS DON'T YOU GET IT IT'S AWFUL until you get bored?

I will let you discover it for yourself. There is no teacher better than experience after all.

Cryptozoology
Jul 12, 2010
Soooo I don't know what exactly I'm doing wrong here with regards to NVSE buuut here's what's going on.

On a fresh install of New Vegas, I copy nvse_loader.exe, nvse_1_1.dll, nvse_editor_1_1.dll and nvse_steam_loader.dll to valve/steamapps/common/fallout new vegas as instructed by the readme. Then, make sure "enable steam community in game" is ticked, and then try to launch the game. I get to the launcher, click play, and then I get literally nothing afterwards.

If I untick "enable steam community in-game", the game launches fine, and "getNVSEVersion" returns '1', so apparently it's working, but when I install a mod that requires NVSE, like this one, the NVSE features don't seem to work. Ie: I can't assign hotkeys to turn nightvision on and off, etc. So I'm confused.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Dickeye posted:

The only complaint I can really see holding up is that the speaker/radio deathtraps are punishingly hard Otherwise it really holds up to how Avellone described it: a short story set in the fallout universe rather than a full game in of itself. Which is good, because the story and gameplay it used would have gotten stale in a full game.

Thematically it's really consistent. It's fairly self-aware and well connected to hooks in the core game and (presumably) further DLC, and thematically it's coherent and clever. The encumbrance effect in the final level would have felt better if it were balanced for lower levels where treasure actually matters.

The new art assets are gorgeous too and I'm hoping that modders will use them because otherwise it's just a huge waste. At the very least I'm hoping for some kind of armor that use the ghost-people models.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
I know this isn't the thread for it, but to counter Flaky...

Having played Dead Money through now two times, I'm baffled as to how one, who presumably enjoys New Vegas itself, could not like it, as it's what was right about that game distilled into a fantastic 5-6 hour romp. Bugs (and a bit of tedium in some of the objectives) aside, this is way more than I expected, and I highly recommend it.

Plus you get to walk away with a BAR, and that thing's just maximum :c00l:

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

DemonNick posted:

The only complaint I can really see holding up is that the speaker/radio deathtraps are punishingly hard

I really don't get this by the way, they were annoying at times when I just couldn't figure out where the hell the speaker/radio was (I had to use tcl off just to check around twice but I'm lazy too) and it's irritating that you can't shoot some of them...

... but punishingly hard? They didn't bother me much and I spent most of the time playing it on mute with the TV running in the background meaning I was just relying on the little messages in the corner not the gradually increasing in frequency beeping noise.I only comment because this isn't the first time I've heard that and now that I've played it all the way through it really makes me wonder where people had such issues with it. The only part that I actually died from radios/speakers (besides just seeing what would happen when I purposefully set the collar off) was near the end vault-maze thing where I couldn't get to the computer fast enough to turn the speakers off .

Also to counter Flaky, it was a lot of fun and felt pretty intense at parts and gave a feeling of a spooky-horror-movie ambiance. It was definitely not just a shooter gallery and I felt like the story and characters were fleshed out and well written. I never found the BAR though or the advanced calibration for the holorifle so I'ma getting me this mod:
http://newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=40567

Lets you go back to the Sierra Madre. I really should have looked around the police station a little harder as it turns out.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Feb 26, 2011

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Moridin920 posted:

I really don't get this by the way, they were annoying at times when I just couldn't figure out where the hell the speaker/radio was (I had to use tcl off just to check around twice but I'm lazy too) and it's irritating that you can't shoot some of them...

... but punishingly hard? They didn't bother me much and I spent most of the time playing it on mute with the TV running in the background meaning I was just relying on the little messages in the corner not the gradually increasing in frequency beeping noise.I only comment because this isn't the first time I've heard that and now that I've played it all the way through it really makes me wonder where people had such issues with it. The only part that I actually died (besides just seeing what would happen when I purposefully set the collar off) was near the end vault-maze thing where I couldn't get to the computer fast enough to turn the speakers off .

Well like you said, you used TCL to find some of them. :P

There are a couple points, once you get to the Sierra Madre proper, where they're put in places that are awkward to even gauge. Maybe it's because I was going off of the sound instead of the messages, so I tried to use the frequency to figure out location. To be entirely honest, while I died more than a couple times, I only ever found it really nasty in the suites, because there are a couple radios that are put in places that are hard to find.

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead
I decided I wanted a bit of a challenge tonight and so I decided to tackle the P90's lack of magazine animation. The good news is that I pretty much fixed it and with some minor clipping issues, the magazine animates more or less perfectly. The real problem is that I don't have a choice in the matter - it HAS to be two handed. So now the question is, do I make the P90 in the pack tactilol in order to have a more or less perfectly animated gun, or do I just leave it as it is?

Hotwire
Mar 11, 2006

hehehe

Naky posted:

I decided I wanted a bit of a challenge tonight and so I decided to tackle the P90's lack of magazine animation. The good news is that I pretty much fixed it and with some minor clipping issues, the magazine animates more or less perfectly. The real problem is that I don't have a choice in the matter - it HAS to be two handed. So now the question is, do I make the P90 in the pack tactilol in order to have a more or less perfectly animated gun, or do I just leave it as it is?

Why is holding a P90 with two hands 'tactilol'?

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

The supporting hand in the 2HR stance is very far forward. You can see the potential problem:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

Hotwire posted:

Why is holding a P90 with two hands 'tactilol'?

Yeah. Basically, I have to fabricate an extended barrel and foregrip that makes sense and looks visually appealing. But a P90 with a greatly extended barrel and no grip or anything to fill the void looks silly, so I've been experimenting with various 'attachments' to go below my barrel. A GL looked nice, but the hand clipped through it. I have several foregrip options, but since the animations don't grip them, it looks stupid. That being said, I'd rather not go with a gay looking gun in the end, so if I can't do something I'm happy with then the one I have right now will just have to do.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

white quilt posted:

Soooo I don't know what exactly I'm doing wrong here with regards to NVSE buuut here's what's going on.

On a fresh install of New Vegas, I copy nvse_loader.exe, nvse_1_1.dll, nvse_editor_1_1.dll and nvse_steam_loader.dll to valve/steamapps/common/fallout new vegas as instructed by the readme. Then, make sure "enable steam community in game" is ticked, and then try to launch the game. I get to the launcher, click play, and then I get literally nothing afterwards.

If I untick "enable steam community in-game", the game launches fine, and "getNVSEVersion" returns '1', so apparently it's working, but when I install a mod that requires NVSE, like this one, the NVSE features don't seem to work. Ie: I can't assign hotkeys to turn nightvision on and off, etc. So I'm confused.

Get FOMM. Set it to launch NVSE. Done.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Check this motherfucker out:

http://newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=40525

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Naky posted:

Yeah. Basically, I have to fabricate an extended barrel and foregrip that makes sense and looks visually appealing. But a P90 with a greatly extended barrel and no grip or anything to fill the void looks silly, so I've been experimenting with various 'attachments' to go below my barrel. A GL looked nice, but the hand clipped through it. I have several foregrip options, but since the animations don't grip them, it looks stupid. That being said, I'd rather not go with a gay looking gun in the end, so if I can't do something I'm happy with then the one I have right now will just have to do.

Maybe give it a PS90-style long barrel/fake can with some kind of home-made looking cloth or leather wrap around it to grip?

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

Internet Friend posted:

Maybe give it a PS90-style long barrel/fake can with some kind of home-made looking cloth or leather wrap around it to grip?

Well, this is what I came up with so far. I ditched the plan for under attachments as the barrel's too short for that and the hand always clips through everything I try. For the mods, I can attach an ANPEQ to the top or sides. I used the rails to try to make it look decent and hide the fact that the extended barrel is just a rather long silencer, heh. It actually looks pretty good, and the gun otherwise animates perfectly. The mesh doesn't actually have a charging handle so that's the only thing that looks 'off' in the animation, otherwise... as far as I know, this is the first fully working animated P90 I've seen for Fallout 3/NV.

Cryptozoology
Jul 12, 2010

Terpfen posted:

Get FOMM. Set it to launch NVSE. Done.

I've got FOMM, and it seems to launch NVSE by default, because the button says "Launch NVSE" on it. And that leads to the same situation, where nothing happens after the launcher pops up and I click play.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

OK, those rails are amazingly tacticlol so if you're going that direction you may as well go whole hog and put some FDE rail covers on it to thicken up the grip.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

white quilt posted:

I've got FOMM, and it seems to launch NVSE by default, because the button says "Launch NVSE" on it. And that leads to the same situation, where nothing happens after the launcher pops up and I click play.

Does your game launch fine without enabling NVSE? Because it sounds like a mod conflict.

Welcome to Gamebryo.

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

Internet Friend posted:

OK, those rails are amazingly tacticlol so if you're going that direction you may as well go whole hog and put some FDE rail covers on it to thicken up the grip.

Yeah, the rails are tactilol indeed, haha, that's why I posed the original question. The rails also fatten up the barrel enough so that the hand actually 'grips it without clipping right now.

Cryptozoology
Jul 12, 2010

Terpfen posted:

Does your game launch fine without enabling NVSE? Because it sounds like a mod conflict.

Welcome to Gamebryo.

Yeah, it launches perfectly without NVSE. I don't think it's a mod conflict because it happens with literally no mods installed.

The only times that the game refuses to launch is when I have NVSE installed and "enable steam community in-game" ticked, which according to the instructions is absolutely essential for NVSE working. If that box isn't ticked, the game launches, "getNVSEVersion" doesn't give me an error, but things that require NVSE just straight up don't work.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

This is what I was suggesting at first:

It's basically just another cylinder with a cloth or leather texture on it, so not the greatest modeling effort needed. Pretty sure you could just UV it to steal the texture off something existing, even.

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

Internet Friend posted:

This is what I was suggesting at first:

It's basically just another cylinder with a cloth or leather texture on it, so not the greatest modeling effort needed.

Yeah, the problem with that is that I'd need to model something like that as I have no pre-made resources like that and that goes a bit beyond what I'm willing to do at this point, what with my hands full just getting everything else in, functioning, balanced, etc. The best I have is some tan ghillie-type burlap, but that'd look super gay on this gun so...

edit: did someone say tactilol?

Fully modded and varianted up, so I'm gonna roll with this for now. In any case, far better than what I had.

Naky fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Feb 26, 2011

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

I'm not a gun nut, but a P90 was my go-to gun during my last Fallout 3 run. It's disappointing to see that done to the little guy :(

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

white quilt posted:

Yeah, it launches perfectly without NVSE. I don't think it's a mod conflict because it happens with literally no mods installed.

The only times that the game refuses to launch is when I have NVSE installed and "enable steam community in-game" ticked, which according to the instructions is absolutely essential for NVSE working. If that box isn't ticked, the game launches, "getNVSEVersion" doesn't give me an error, but things that require NVSE just straight up don't work.

I would double-check and make sure you correctly installed every NVSE file, and you’re using the latest version.

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

Chronojam posted:

I'm not a gun nut, but a P90 was my go-to gun during my last Fallout 3 run. It's disappointing to see that done to the little guy :(

Until an alternative 2 handed animation is made for short barreled guns like the P90, extending the barrel is the best option you have for an animated top loaded gun like it sadly.

The choice is yours, ultimately. I'm considering leaving leaving the old regular P90 in the pack for those that wish to use it and don't care about the lack of animations or holding it two handed.

Naky fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Feb 26, 2011

Cryptozoology
Jul 12, 2010

Terpfen posted:

I would double-check and make sure you correctly installed every NVSE file, and you’re using the latest version.

Yeah, everything's the latest version and I installed the files in the right directory. You think this is something I should bug the NVSE people about?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

white quilt posted:

Yeah, everything's the latest version and I installed the files in the right directory. You think this is something I should bug the NVSE people about?

It’s worth bringing up, yes.