Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Holland Oats
Oct 20, 2003

Only the dead have seen the end of war
Does anyone have recommendations on hornbooks for Criminal Law and Property?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/26/nyregion/26jury.html

NYTIMES posted:

Jury Nullification Advocate Is Indicted

This is going to be an awkward case to bring before the jury.

MaximumBob
Jan 15, 2006

You're moving who to the bullpen?

Torpor posted:

Although according to that article he's not entitled to a jury trial.

It's unfortunate that these prosecutors brought what I think is not a really defensible charge against a guy who's obviously kind of a nut and who apparently doesn't want counsel, because they're getting away with one here.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

quote:

In court on Friday, Judge Wood cited a written request by Mr. Heicklen that Muslims be “excluded from the jury” because he was Jewish and “Islam preaches death to Jews.” Because he was charged with a misdemeanor, she said, he was not entitled to a jury trial; and in any case, she said, jurors may not be excluded because of religion.
Aw man, this poo poo outta nowhere. I want to like you, crazy jury nullification guy :(

cendien
Sep 14, 2008

Holland Oats posted:

Does anyone have recommendations on hornbooks for Criminal Law and Property?

I'm using Dressler's crim hornbook and its pretty good. Especially if you use the Dressler casebook, but it would probably work for you anyway.

jake1357
Jul 10, 2001

Torpor posted:

Does anyone know precisely what he's being accused of violating or how I would find that out? The articles I've found just describe it as "jury tampering" but I'm not sure what that means... Maybe 1503?

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

cendien posted:

I'm using Dressler's crim hornbook and its pretty good. Especially if you use the Dressler casebook, but it would probably work for you anyway.

why does dressler cite himself so loving much

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNLJ.jsp?id=1202483173162&LAW_SCHOOLS_REPORT&slreturn=1&hbxlogin=1

NLJ Top 250 placement percentages for class of 2010

edit- now the data shows up as "Access Denied" for some reason. bigger list is posted here: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=148674

Chicago 58.97%
Cornell 58.33%
Columbia 55.20%
Penn 53.31%
Harvard 49.74%
Virginia 46.79%
Berkeley 45.61%
Northwestern 44.37%
NYU 43.27%
Michigan 42.47%
Stanford 41.62%
Duke 38.03%
Georgetown 37.58%
UCLA 35.14%
Yale 33.84%
BC 33.58%
BU 30.00%
Vanderbilt 29.81%
USC 28.72%

Tetrix fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Feb 26, 2011

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Tetrix posted:

http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNLJ.jsp?id=1202483173162&LAW_SCHOOLS_REPORT&slreturn=1&hbxlogin=1

NLJ Top 250 placement percentages for class of 2010

edit- now the data shows up as "Access Denied" for some reason. bigger list is posted here: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=148674

Chicago 58.97%
Cornell 58.33%
Columbia 55.20%
Penn 53.31%
Harvard 49.74%
Virginia 46.79%
Berkeley 45.61%
Northwestern 44.37%
NYU 43.27%
Michigan 42.47%
Stanford 41.62%
Duke 38.03%
Georgetown 37.58%
UCLA 35.14%
Yale 33.84%
BC 33.58%
BU 30.00%
Vanderbilt 29.81%
USC 28.72%

I had a choice between GULC, Duke and Cornell. Clearly I should have gone to Cornell.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

entris posted:

I had a choice between GULC, Duke and Cornell. Clearly I should have gone to Cornell.

duke and stanford are especially shameful given that duke's class was ~200 and stanford's was ~170. cornell's 2010 was, what, 180?

gulc's 37.58% of 600 sounds pretty great. at least we have bball, low CoL, and nice weather.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

MORE NUMBERS FOR THE NUMBER GOD

also lol at the general idea that "NYU is basically the same as Columbia for all relevant purposes"

Linguica fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Feb 26, 2011

Holland Oats
Oct 20, 2003

Only the dead have seen the end of war

cendien posted:

I'm using a casebook written by Bonnie, Coughlin, Jeffries and Low but I'll look into Dressler.

IrritationX
May 5, 2004

Bitch, what you don't know about me I can just about squeeze in the Grand fucking Canyon.
Good news: I'm doing legal work.

Bad news: It's for myself.

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon
I have to say that I'm shocked the placement for this year was as bad at Columbia as it was last year. The difference in the attitudes of the two classes I have found is night and day to make a generalization.

Bathing Jesus
Aug 26, 2003
The *actual* difference between Chicago last year and this year is pretty astonishing. I had friends near the median last year who couldn't pull anything out and there were actually some really solid (albeit loving weird) people with above median grades that got nothing. And now I know of several people this year at median splitting with three firms.

Class of 2011.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Feces Starship posted:

I have to say that I'm shocked the placement for this year was as bad at Columbia as it was last year. The difference in the attitudes of the two classes I have found is night and day to make a generalization.

Aren't the numbers above for the Class of 2010, meaning the graduates from last year? I haven't seen any numbers about anybody currently in school.

Lilosh
Jul 13, 2001
I'm Lilosh with an OSHY

Linguica posted:

MORE NUMBERS FOR THE NUMBER GOD

This link is making the rounds at Cornell with a large sigh of relief. Of course, we're 1Ls so let's hope that relatively, things stay this good or better.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Yeah I find it interesting that the only top schools to see an increase from last year are Chicago, Penn, Cornell, Harvard, and Columbia (Yale probably did too, but that's another echelon entirely).

Moral of the story is that whatever small rebound in hiring there may have been has been basically filled up by employers deciding they might as well just hire Ivy Leaguers to the exclusion of anyone else. Rich get richer etc

Linguica fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Feb 27, 2011

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009
So what am I supposed to do with those numbers? Assume that these numbers are approximately the top % of the respective schools' class who get looked at as potential first-year associates by the NLJ 250 or what?

Because if that's the case I don't see how that's any different from what this thread/everyone on the internet has been telling me what I need to do to be successful in coming out of law school anyways.

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

Linguica posted:

Yeah I find it interesting that the only top schools to see an increase from last year are Chicago, Penn, Cornell, Harvard, and Columbia (Yale probably did too, but that's another echelon entirely).

Moral of the story is that whatever small rebound in hiring there may have been has been basically filled up by employers deciding they might as well just hire Ivy Leaguers to the exclusion of anyone else. Rich get richer etc

I thought the people who graduated in '10 were supposed to be the hardest hit though, or maybe both '09 and '10. Was that just '09 instead?

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

MoFauxHawk posted:

I thought the people who graduated in '10 were supposed to be the hardest hit though, or maybe both '09 and '10. Was that just '09 instead?

nothing finer than an oh niner

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

MoFauxHawk posted:

These latest numbers are for the class of 2010, and yes, almost all schools have lower employment numbers than any previous class. The class of 2009 had it pretty lovely, but the class of 2010 had it even worse.

The scuttlebutt is that the class of 2011 will have it even worse than that (although I guess we'll have to wait and see) and then 2012 onward will see a return to "normal" although who knows what that new normal will be.

For perspective, the class of 2009 had a 90% offer rate following their summer programs, whereas the class of 2010 had a 70% offer rate. I'm not sure what the class of 2011 offer rate was but I'm sure it's higher since the summer classes were even smaller to begin with. For some more perspective, the class of 2009 had 60% of their callback interviews result in an offer, the class of 2010 had 47%, and the class of 2011 had a mere 36%.

Linguica fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Feb 27, 2011

srsly
Aug 1, 2003

Linguica posted:

Summers at my office last year were almost exclusively T6 or so. Same this year. My office has lots of lawyers from UCLA, USC, etc... but that's not where we're getting our summers. We are able to be extraordinarily picky regarding our summers lately.

DoctorOfLawls
Mar 2, 2001

SA's Brazilian Diplomat
Not sure if this has been posted before, but I thought it could be useful to add to the horrible list of reasons to stay out of Law School:

It's a Terrible Time to Go To Law School

You have to be crazy to go to law school nowadays. Consider these statistics:

Number of law students who graduate annually: 45,000
Decrease in the size of the legal profession since 2007: 7.8%
Typical starting salary, if you can actually get a job at a law firm: $40,000+
Average law school debt: $100,000
Increase in the number of students taking the LSAT since 2007: 20.5%
Increase in the number of law schools in the last ten years: 9%

Top 10 occupations where there are job openings now:

Medical, dental, and public health
Management, administration, clerical, and office services
Engineering and architecture
Trades and labor
Accounting budget and finance
Biological sciences
Procurement and purchasing agent
Social science, psychology, and welfare
Information technology
Safety, health, and physical and resource protection

Typical jobs that law grads wind up in:

Legislative staffers
Regulatory policy-makers
Arbitrators
Mediators
Not-for-profit organizations
Consulting firms
Waiters and waitresses

http://blog.larrybodine.com/2011/02/articles/current-affairs/its-a-terrible-time-to-go-to-law-school/

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

DoctorOfLawls posted:

Legislative staffers
Regulatory policy-makers
Arbitrators
Mediators
Consulting firms
Waiters and waitresses
With the exception of waiters and waitresses, none of these are terrible and all traditional paths for law grads. They're all pretty sweet jobs.

(Don't go to law school though)

I had an opportunity in law school to get a JD/MPH. Why didn't I didn't do that?

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

DoctorOfLawls posted:

Legislative staffers
Regulatory policy-makers
Arbitrators
Mediators

Consulting firms
Waiters and waitresses

Careers in arbitration or mediation usually require years of legal experience - that's not something a recent law grad does, that's something a judge does. (Not that judges are particularly good at mediation or arbitration, but they are inclined to think they are.)

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon
Petey through no fault of your own the CBA thread in TFF is utter and complete crap and you should dump it or lock it or stop the madness in any way that you have power

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

mrtoodles posted:

Summers at my office last year were almost exclusively T6 or so. Same this year. My office has lots of lawyers from UCLA, USC, etc... but that's not where we're getting our summers. We are able to be extraordinarily picky regarding our summers lately.
Yeah, when I started, my old firm recruited from even T4 locals and lots of lower T1 schools. Now, it's Harvard, Michigan, Northwestern, and Chicago, and I think that's it.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

Feces Starship posted:

Petey through no fault of your own the CBA thread in TFF is utter and complete crap and you should dump it or lock it or stop the madness in any way that you have power

It's only been bad the last two pages really and I might lock it again until more news comes out.

Blakkout
Aug 24, 2006

No thought was put into this.

Holland Oats posted:

I'm using a casebook written by Bonnie, Coughlin, Jeffries and Low but I'll look into Dressler.

I'm going to echo the Dressler sentiment as well. That book was the only thing that saved me for the final.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord
MPRE question: I've passed two out of two barbri practice tests with a little room to spare (44, 38 correct). Do I need to keep studying?

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

Roger_Mudd posted:

Do I need to study?

Fixed, and no.

Lowden Swain
Jul 11, 2006
can't hold his mud

TheSqueeze posted:

It was, but during the round in which I portrayed the defendant, both teams made a big deal out of my motive, or lack thereof. I only saw the problem play out in the one trial, but some evidence suggested that the defendant robbed Everything's a Dollar because he was desperate for money. Somewhere within the transcript of the previous proceeding in the case materials, the defendant says something along the lines of "I had tons of money, my friend 'Bob' just paid good on a $2000 loan!." The reciprocal cross point is that he doesn't know the guys last name, and thinks 'Bob' probably just suddenly "left town for Jamaica". I just tired to spin the cross point in a way that was minimally damaging.

Ugh motive, when will TYLA start writing decent problems for criminal again

(Hint: The answer is never)

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Roger_Mudd posted:

MPRE question: I've passed two out of two barbri practice tests with a little room to spare (44, 38 correct). Do I need to keep studying?

God, keep studying. Why not.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

HiddenReplaced posted:

From the med student thread:

quote:

movax posted:
This a million times. I have referred many a friend to the law school thread in A/T, and I'd like to think that's saved their souls. It just takes one look at that hilariously huge demotivator and they run far, far away.
We are doing God's work here, friends

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Soothing Vapors posted:

We are doing God's work here, friends

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
5th day of jury duty down.

To my surprise, I have learned that I harbor deep anti-police sentiments.

Officer: "And then our lookout observed Suspect 1 handing US currency to Suspect 2, who then handed several small baggies to Suspect 1."

Me: "Officer, how far away was the lookout?"

Officer: "I don't know off-hand, but typically they are within blah blah blah"

Me: "How did the officer know they were exchanging US currency, rather than gold krugerrands?"

Officer: "Is that a serious question?"

Me: "gently caress you."

Seriously, all I can think about during officer testimony is that one thread about that old cop goon telling horrific stories about police corruption back in the '60s.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

entris posted:

5th day of jury duty down.

To my surprise, I have learned that I harbor deep anti-police sentiments.

Officer: "And then our lookout observed Suspect 1 handing US currency to Suspect 2, who then handed several small baggies to Suspect 1."

Me: "Officer, how far away was the lookout?"

Officer: "I don't know off-hand, but typically they are within blah blah blah"

Me: "How did the officer know they were exchanging US currency, rather than gold krugerrands?"

Officer: "Is that a serious question?"

Me: "gently caress you."

Seriously, all I can think about during officer testimony is that one thread about that old cop goon telling horrific stories about police corruption back in the '60s.

so that's a no bill, then?

Lilosh
Jul 13, 2001
I'm Lilosh with an OSHY

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

so that's a no bill, then?

Somewhere, there's a ham sandwich that won't be indicted, and a cliche is weeping silently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Lilosh posted:

Somewhere, there's a ham sandwich that won't be indicted, and a cliche is weeping silently.

I'll give it a good home