Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smekerman
Feb 3, 2001

Falco posted:

Very nice. I'm actually debating between Kearsage pass and Cottonwood Pass for a Whitney trip this summer.

Haven't been on Cottonwood Pass, but Kearsarge is absolutely gorgeous. Once you get through the pass and reach that plateau with the Kearsarge Lakes, it's pretty much heavenly scenery.

Speaking of the Sierras, here's another shot I reprocessed from that trip. I originally had processed it in color, but I was never really satisfied with the clouds. Yesterday I finally realized why: because they weren't black and white and I hadn't dodged and burned the poo poo out of them.

Stormy Morning on Mono Lake by Smekermann, on Flickr

Color shot for comparison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
One more from the weekend.

octane2
Jun 4, 2007
Interstellar Overdrive
Haven't posted in a while. Hope you enjoy.

Click image(s) to view on black background, avoid burning your retinas, and appreciate shadow detail.

This Coastline
The Belt of Venus beckons nightfall off the coast of a location north of Sydney.

Canon EOS 5D Mark II, Canon EF 17-40mm f/4L USM
1.3s f/16.0 at 17.0mm iso400

Conceiving You
A sneak peak of the three tiers of Purakanaui Falls at dusk.

Canon EOS 5D Mark II, Canon EF 17-40mm f/4L USM
5s f/11.0 at 40.0mm iso200

Aerial - I
Gentle morning light radiates throughout the Mackenzie Basin on the South Island of New Zealand. The sun was at an altitude of just 11.3 degrees at the time this image was made, which provides for the softness in the quality of light prevalent in the image.

In the distance is the beautiful turquoise Lake Tekapo. Lake Tekapo has a surface area of roughly 83 square kilometres and sits approximately 700 metres above sea level.

The lake is being fed by the pristine glacial Godley River, seen in the image proper, as a network of braided twists and knots. The water in the lake has flowed 30 kilometres south from the Mount Cook region in the Southern Alps.

Canon EOS 5D Mark II, Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM
1/100s f/10.0 at 105.0mm iso320

H

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?
Love those, especially the last one.

Auditore
Nov 4, 2010
SO I'm looking to get an ultra-wide (possibly prime) for my Canon 550d for landscapes. Someone point out the pros and cons of a not-too expensive Sigma or Canon lens for me. Thanks.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Hotwax Residue
Mar 26, 2010
I think maybe I should crop out the rocks at the bottom

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Hotwax Residue posted:

Yeah, and try a square crop. Framing it with fingers, looks nice. Maybe see if you can pull back some detail from that cloud in the center too?

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Hotwax Residue posted:

THe thing that bothers me is the rock that is cut off on the right hand side. I think it would look better without that, so I would probably crop some off the bottom.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
I'm pretty much a scrub at landscape photography, any tips?

Click here for the full 599x900 image.

Click here for the full 600x900 image.

Click here for the full 1500x1000 image.

Click here for the full 1200x800 image.

Click here for the full 1200x800 image.

I also have a massive stitched photo, where can I upload that to? Waffleimages won't take it.

Hotwax Residue
Mar 26, 2010

Interrupting Moss posted:

Yeah, and try a square crop. Framing it with fingers, looks nice. Maybe see if you can pull back some detail from that cloud in the center too?
Ok I went for the square crop

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That looks a whole bunch cooler to me.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Hotwax Residue posted:

Ok I went for the square crop

Awesome.

Hotwax Residue
Mar 26, 2010
Thanks guys. Looks more like the idea I had in my head at the time. I was just being a bit lazy with the framing, one major drawback of using a 10 stop ND.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I always find it hard to throw away pixels. I got a 15.1 MP sensor, I want to use every last one of those photons! :argh:

Hotwax Residue
Mar 26, 2010
I don't mind square crop because the corners are generally the weakest optically, but yeah I totally feel the same even though I know its irrational :)

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

xzzy posted:

I always find it hard to throw away pixels. I got a 15.1 MP sensor, I want to use every last one of those photons! :argh:

I use film, so every time I crop I'm losing money.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
Buy a Hasselblad, shoot square, gently caress bitches.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

8th-samurai posted:

Buy a Hasselblad, shoot square, gently caress bitches.
I'm quoting this as hard as I can.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

So I bought a Hasselbad last night on the advice of this thread, and no bitches will gently caress me. :(

Apparently you need money to lure them in, and after buying the camera, I have none.

Also, I'm having trouble getting comfortable in my new home in the alley.

Hotwax Residue
Mar 26, 2010
I'm not completely happy with the framing of this shot either. I think I could have made more use of the rock shadows. Lucky for me I can go back and re-shoot it if the weather plays the game.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Hotwax Residue posted:

I'm not completely happy with the framing of this shot either. I think I could have made more use of the rock shadows. Lucky for me I can go back and re-shoot it if the weather plays the game.

Crepuscular rays :3:

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

atomicthumbs posted:

Crepuscular rays :3:

Read this as 'craptacular rays' and thought it was a harsh comment.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Hotwax Residue posted:

I find the composition/framing awkward. All I want to do is see more to the right, maybe you are able to go further out into the lake or something?

EDIT: I still think the light is amazing and it is still a nice shot but it bothers me at the same time.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Dread Head posted:

EDIT: I still think the light is amazing and it is still a nice shot but it bothers me at the same time.

It seems like the image lacks a subject. The sun is just out of frame, the mountain really isn't much of a feature, and the foreground rocks are cut off just when they start to get interesting.

The lighting is pretty impressive though. The shadows are really neat.

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
I love seeing what you guys are shooting. I've been out messing with my kit lens (17-55) trying to capture random landscape shots. Is it reasonable to hope for a decent picture with that lens or do I need something wider?

I've been aiming for shots near sunset, setting the aperture in the range of 12-16 and reducing the shutter speed to make a decent exposure. I assume all i need after that is something interesting to shoot and good composition? Am I in the right ballpark?

Hotwax Residue
Mar 26, 2010

Dread Head posted:

I find the composition/framing awkward. All I want to do is see more to the right, maybe you are able to go further out into the lake or something?

xzzy posted:

It seems like the image lacks a subject. The sun is just out of frame, the mountain really isn't much of a feature, and the foreground rocks are cut off just when they start to get interesting.

The lighting is pretty impressive though. The shadows are really neat.
I think you guys just put into words what I was feeling. The original shot actually has the sun in the shot but the flare was pretty horrible. Next cloudless sunset I'm going back!

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Dread Head posted:

WB looks off on these, your water is waay blue. I like the eddy in the second one though.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

spf3million posted:

WB looks off on these, your water is waay blue. I like the eddy in the second one though.

Hmm, I was worried about that but was tired when I edited them.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
Re-edited.

u got mares in yr house
Feb 23, 2001

octane2 posted:

:psyduck: That is unbelievably beautiful.

Taken in Turkey from a moving bus.

z by foogray, on Flickr

Y by foogray, on Flickr

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

wide bay2 by torgeaux, on Flickr

wide bay by torgeaux, on Flickr

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
It snowed.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc
Here's some new stuff from a couple of weeks ago. Before that ^^^^^ happened to the PNW.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.

8th-samurai posted:

What's the FOV on this? I can never get this kind of look in the trees around here.

I went to the lake this morning. Tried a few crops.

2011-296 by Tom Rintjema, on Flickr

2011-297 by Tom Rintjema, on Flickr

2011-303 by Tom Rintjema, on Flickr

2011-299 by Tom Rintjema, on Flickr

2011-302 by Tom Rintjema, on Flickr

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
That's an 80mm on 6x6 so a normal FOV. That second one is pretty rad by the way.

Gambl0r
Dec 25, 2003

LOCAL MAN
RUINS
EVERYTHING
Snow landscapes are hard. I didn't get up early enough for sunrise so they are kinda meh:

Another one from a few weeks ago:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Gambl0r posted:

Snow landscapes are hard.

Yes :( the hardest thing for me is the roads are often in really bad shape so I am often limited to what is within walking distance.