Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fire place
Oct 27, 2005
how are you

Ferrosol posted:

So a question is there anyone anywhere in the EU who was NOT involved in stealing the Death Star plans? Christ those things seem to show up everywhere in peoples back stories.

No. Even the two suns on Tattoine had their hand in securing the plans. And they're force sensitive. And they only produce heat and light because they're covered in lightsabers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.

Joe Don Baker posted:

What's the current chain of custody for those drat things?

1. Dead Bothans
2. ??? <- Anyone trying to get laid after the Battle of Yavin
3. Leia Organa
4. R2D2
5. Obiwan Kenobi
6. Profit

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

TheBigBad posted:

1. Dead Bothans
2. ??? <- Anyone trying to get laid after the Battle of Yavin
3. Leia Organa
4. R2D2
5. Obiwan Kenobi
6. Profit

What about Kyle Katarn? It's been a while since I played Dark Forces, but didn't he jack them right from an imperial base and deliver them to the Tantive IV?

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.

Joe Don Baker posted:

What about Kyle Katarn? It's been a while since I played Dark Forces, but didn't he jack them right from an imperial base and deliver them to the Tantive IV?

GAMES ARE NOT CANON. Also... see #2.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

TheBigBad posted:

GAMES ARE NOT CANON. Also... see #2.

Sorry dude, I didn't know if they somehow tried to meld all the different things together.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Joe Don Baker posted:

Sorry dude, I didn't know if they somehow tried to meld all the different things together.

I'm just kidding around.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Joe Don Baker posted:

Kyle Katarn beamed princess Leia the plans, and any attempt to further change the story should be met with a hail of gunfire.

Bothans weren't in the rebellion until after Yavin, because they're scummy goatpeople.

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

From Long Snoot I found this-
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Davin_Felth

the "Look sir, Droid!" guy happens to be the best AT-AT pilot ever and saves our heroes at Docking bay 94 by killing his captain.

Came here to post this. Not only did he save our heros and let them get away. He was the one that discovered the "weak" point in At-ATs that they could possibly triped by a towing cable. So theres a good chance he was the one that let the rebels know thus insuring their escape from hoth!

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

I'm curious if the stormtrooper that hit his head on the door has gotten an in-depth origin story yet.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

From Long Snoot I found this-
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Davin_Felth

the "Look sir, Droid!" guy happens to be the best AT-AT pilot ever and saves our heroes at Docking bay 94 by killing his captain.

Jesus Christ

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I'm curious if the stormtrooper that hit his head on the door has gotten an in-depth origin story yet.

Nope, you bet your rear end he has his own Wookiepedia page though

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Unidentified_head-bumping_stormtrooper

RedTeam
Feb 5, 2011

SHAZAM!

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Nope, you bet your rear end he has his own Wookiepedia page though

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Unidentified_head-bumping_stormtrooper

Wookiepedia posted:

Although Lucas implies this stormtrooper was a clone of Jango Fett,[1] the stormtrooper did not share Fett's voice or accent when speaking
Accents do not work that way, goodnight.

Actually.. be right back, I must find the Wookiepedia page on cloning and see what spergtastic explanation they've coooked up.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Holy crap http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Docking_Bay_327, an in-depth wiki article on a docking bay, and that is not the only one http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Hangar. How pathetic do you have to be to make these entries?

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Darth Freddy posted:

Came here to post this. Not only did he save our heros and let them get away. He was the one that discovered the "weak" point in At-ATs that they could possibly triped by a towing cable. So theres a good chance he was the one that let the rebels know thus insuring their escape from hoth!

He tipped them off to basic principles of physics! Truly an unsung hero...

deadguy
Apr 23, 2007

Hello Bob

Angry Midwesterner posted:

He tipped them off to basic principles of physics! Truly an unsung hero...

Yeah it's like this big "oh poo poo" moment in the story. I can pull a better explanation out right now that doesn't make Star Wars sound so dumb: At-Ats were pretty expendable really, and the legs gave them a pretty high platform to shoot from. It was worth the trade off, and in situations like Hoth the At-At performed pretty well.

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

deadguy posted:

Yeah it's like this big "oh poo poo" moment in the story. I can pull a better explanation out right now that doesn't make Star Wars sound so dumb: At-Ats were pretty expendable really, and the legs gave them a pretty high platform to shoot from. It was worth the trade off, and in situations like Hoth the At-At performed pretty well.

Plus, really, how often do you have to fight the very specific threat of Airspeeders outfitted with towing cables?

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

So, I took a quick look at Heir to the Future Empire recently, and I was taken with how underwhelming Pellaeon is as a character. He's just there as this random Imperial douche to naysay all of Thrawn's genius masterstrokes by spouting conventional tactics. So it's a little weird that he's such a big deal in subsequent books, but I guess that's mostly a function of Star Wars fans glomming onto anything and everything from a book they really liked and demanding its elevation.

e: Got my Zahn title wires crossed.

yronic heroism fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Feb 26, 2011

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

So, I took a quick look at Heir to the Future recently, and I was taken with how underwhelming Pellaeon is as a character. He's just there as this random Imperial douche to naysay all of Thrawn's genius masterstrokes by spouting conventional tactics. So it's a little weird that he's such a big deal in subsequent books, but I guess that's mostly a function of Star Wars fans glomming onto anything and everything from a book they really liked and demanding its elevation.

It's really the fault of KJA who elevated him from ship captain to admiral and from there the head of the Empire.

Although I liked the Pellaeon/Thrawn dynamic, it always reminded me of Admiral Piett and Vader. Actually since Zahn's said that he had to revise parts of his original outline when Lucasfilm told him he couldn't bring anyone back from the dead from the movies I have a theory that Pellaeon was originally supposed to be Piett. It would make a lot of sense - they basically have the same role, it would make sense for Piett to be the officer to order the retreat from Endor, and it would contrast how different Thrawn is from the usual Imperial officer by having someone who worked directly under Vader to compare them.

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

So, I took a quick look at Heir to the Future recently, and I was taken with how underwhelming Pellaeon is as a character. He's just there as this random Imperial douche to naysay all of Thrawn's genius masterstrokes by spouting conventional tactics.
I agree completely. It's not really a fault in the writing, however. His intended purpose is to be the douche to naysay and not understand all of Thawn's plans because otherwise the reader has no loving idea what the gently caress Thrawn is doing.

He really only comes into his own as a character in the Hand of Thrawn duology, where he's basically the closest we ever get to having Thrawn as a viewpoint character.

HoT Pellaeon is awesome.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Pellaeon is Watson to Thrawn's Sherlock Holmes.

KaosFactor
Dec 10, 2000

Rommel Rommel
Didn't Piette crash in to the Death Star?

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

KaosFactor posted:

No, an A-Wing crashed into him

NGL
Jan 15, 2003
AssKing

Directorman posted:

No, an A-Wing crashed into him

Causing his ship to crash into the Death Star. So, yes, in a roundabout kind of way.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

KaosFactor posted:

No, he survived and crash landed on Endor, where he fought man-eating Ewoks and fell in love with Mon Mothma.

It's in Knightfall by KJA

Nckdictator fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Feb 27, 2011

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

Nckdictator posted:

No, he survived and crash landed on Endor, where he fought man-eating Ewoks and fell in love with Mon Mothma.

It's in Knightfall by KJA

It really shows the state of the EU when I can't be completly sure that you are joking.

Azzmo
Jul 2, 2007
STUPID MINORITIES ALWAYS MAKING ME FEEL UNCOMFORTABLE TO BE A WHITE MALE

A Typical Goon posted:

It really shows the state of the EU when I can't be completly sure that you are joking.

This made me laugh.

Twice as hard as it should have because I didn't even realize his post was a joke until I read your post (his post WAS a joke, right?)

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Only about the KJA and canon part.

https://www.piett.org/fiction/story-piettmothma.html

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

arioch posted:

Oh Christ, I forgot about the site.

That amazing amazing site.

fire place
Oct 27, 2005
how are you

arioch posted:

http://www.piett.org/fiction/poetry.html

:stare:

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

There really is no depth to the Star Wars rabbit hole

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

arioch posted:

I was refrencing this but that's pretty hilarious too

http://home.mnet-online.de/swlg/pagea/p1.html

stawk Archer
Jun 19, 2004

by angerbot

Nckdictator posted:

I was refrencing this but that's pretty hilarious too

http://home.mnet-online.de/swlg/pagea/p1.html

It probably has to do with whatever the reason Darth Vader spared him. I'm sure he was a good man at heart and reminded Darth of someone he knew before he turned evil, and as it happened he was the son of one of the guys on the Jedi council who was willing to give him a chance from the get go.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

stawk Archer posted:

It probably has to do with whatever the reason Darth Vader spared him. I'm sure he was a good man at heart and reminded Darth of someone he knew before he turned evil, and as it happened he was the son of one of the guys on the Jedi council who was willing to give him a chance from the get go.

I was willing to let this go until the very end. Everyone knowing/being related to somebody they knew is getting loving silly and should be stopped.

Maybe thats why they had several galaxy wide conflicts one after each other.

that awful man
Feb 18, 2007

YOSPOS, bitch

SeanBeansShako posted:

I was willing to let this go until the very end. Everyone knowing/being related to somebody they knew is getting loving silly and should be stopped.

Maybe thats why they had several galaxy wide conflicts one after each other.

It's like poetry,
So said the fat plaid beard man.
Lucas, eat a dick.

stawk Archer
Jun 19, 2004

by angerbot
I wonder how much of the 'it's a small galaxy' thing is really Jorge's fault though. He had some dumbass ideas in TPM. Kid Greedo (is he?), immaculate conception thing which makes no sense, Darth Vader inventing C3p0, and so on. That just seems like a marketing ploy to tie the originals in with the prequels for the most part.

The fans making Boba Fett into space's Saint Paul (to complement Darth's space Jesus role) was around way before the prequels. Because he had balls in Empire and regardless of the fact that he was basically a chump who got his rear end kicked by everyone in Jedi, there were comics, backstories, and other stuff about him. It's like writers know that they have to use someone from the movies to have appeal but the way they went about it just sucked the life out of the characters made them kind of silly. The thing is, the characters had so much character just because of their design and setting. The clothes someone was wearing told a story of their own and made the world interesting. Going into the details always just sucks! It's basically only good for humor and facepalms when that happens.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Joe Don Baker posted:

What's the current chain of custody for those drat things?
I like to think that there were a lot of copies and several of them manage to get "stolen" and turned over to the rebels simultaneously. I mean they were floating around for over 20 years, tens of thousands of people had to have seen them.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
I'm genuinely surprised no one on Dooku's council was a Bothan.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Mister Roboto posted:

I'm genuinely surprised no one on Dooku's council was a Bothan.

This would require a level of coordination with both the original films and the EU that the prequels lack.

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"
Bland British Imperial Officer #3 has his own website? I just...don't understand. Why pick that particular one? Piett is the one who had the conversation with Vader when he came out of the ship in the beginning of ROTJ, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

bbf2 posted:

Bland British Imperial Officer #3 has his own website? I just...don't understand. Why pick that particular one? Piett is the one who had the conversation with Vader when he came out of the ship in the beginning of ROTJ, right?

Piett's the only one Vader didn't choke out in Empire. The fact that he survived to the end of Jedi makes him noteworthy.

Also, he commanded the Imperial flagship, which leads me to assume he commanded the fleet.