Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

needknees posted:

Pilot Road 2 is what you want. Absolutely amazing tire, great cornering grip for a sport touring tire and with the harder center they last for freakin ever. It's going to be very very tough to beat those for a sportbike that will never see the track (take your goddamn bike to the track).

Pirelli Diablo Rossos are also a good choice. Any sport touring rubber is fine, and will even handle trackdays if you decide to go. Try and get tires from the most modern generation, though, because there usually isn't a huge difference in price but there has been a lot of advancement in rubber tech.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
I've put about 4000 miles on Pilot Road 2s on the F2, they still look like they're new, they've handled great and i've never had any issues with grip in wet or dry. Modern S-T tires sure are amazing.

My 636 came with normal pilot powers which were pretty much new, I was thinking of putting PR2s on it as well but I want kind of want to try other tires like the Pilot Power 2ct, Pirelli Sport Angels, or Bridgestone BT-23s when the times comes.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

infraboy posted:

I've put about 4000 miles on Pilot Road 2s on the F2, they still look like they're new, they've handled great and i've never had any issues with grip in wet or dry. Modern S-T tires sure are amazing.

My 636 came with normal pilot powers which were pretty much new, I was thinking of putting PR2s on it as well but I want kind of want to try other tires like the Pilot Power 2ct, Pirelli Sport Angels, or Bridgestone BT-23s when the times comes.

A friend of mine who puts on a retarded amount of miles has had a set on his 1125 for over 10k including two trackdays, and the rear still looks ok :psyduck:. The front is down to the ware bars but not terrible. They're seriously amazing tires.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Go for the Diablos, it's my understanding that the older R6/1 models don't like Pilots, the sharper profile makes them a bit flighty.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Go for the Diablos, it's my understanding that the older R6/1 models don't like Pilots, the sharper profile makes them a bit flighty.

What does "flighty" mean?

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

Crayvex posted:

What does "flighty" mean?

Darty, eager to change direction. You know, what a sportbike should feel like ;)

Really though different tire contours are going to feel different on different bikes... and each person might like a different feel than another. So your mileage may seriously vary. Michelin tires do tend to have a more triangulated profile and stiffer sidewalls than Pirellis though.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

needknees posted:

Darty, eager to change direction. You know, what a sportbike should feel like ;)

No, I'm mean unstable, not wanting to ever go in a straight line and causing slappers over bumps.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!
What about the Dablo Stradas? They actually will fit my bike.

http://www.us.pirelli.com/web/tyres-catalog/moto-street-sport_tou_radial/en_US/DIABLO%20STRADA/default.page

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
I'd probably go with the Diablo Rossos if you're going to be doing anything but commuting on it.

http://www.us.pirelli.com/web/tyres-catalog/moto-hypersport-none/en_US/DIABLO%20ROSSO/default.page

They're S/T tires but leaning more towards Sport over Touring. The Stradas are more touring than sport.

henne
May 9, 2009

by exmarx
It's started to rain here and my DRZ currently has Diablo Supercorsas on it. I'm looking for a bit more of a rain friendly supermoto tire than a sport tire. I have a used rear scorpion sync. Should I pick up a matching front for the winter or something else entirely? Was planing on putting contiforces on it in the spring so the tires don't have to last forever.

Primo Itch
Nov 4, 2006
I confessed a horrible secret for this account!

henne posted:

It's started to rain here and my DRZ currently has Diablo Supercorsas on it. I'm looking for a bit more of a rain friendly supermoto tire than a sport tire. I have a used rear scorpion sync. Should I pick up a matching front for the winter or something else entirely? Was planing on putting contiforces on it in the spring so the tires don't have to last forever.

You do any off roading ? The sync should be quite nice for light offroading, but the Pilot Road 2 is known to be really good on wet, has better pavement grip than the sync and most likely a similar/better mileage.

Or if you don't really care about wear just get some used rain racing tires and drive like a mad even with the skies pouring water...

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

infraboy posted:

I've been using the Angel ST (Sport Angel??) on my Hornet (it also comes with Powers, strangely enough). They're absolutely excellent in terms of performance (stable, yet grippy, need no appreciable warm-up time) however they do definitely "go off" before the tread is gone. I seem to recall reading similar things about other Pirelli products, although I used to use Diablos on my 954, and never had that problem.

So when you get down to the last 25% of the wear, they start to get sketchy. My front is nearly hitting the wear bars about 45 degrees around on each side (fine in the middle), and you can tell it's not happy (stable, but it's tucky).

They also don't seem to last a huge amount of time for something that describes itself as sport-touring. If I hold on and grit my teeth, I should get 5k out of the front one. Back ones probably 3-4. However, my commmute is basically unpoliced back roads with the operative principle being "go like gently caress", so who knows how long a "sports" tyre would last.

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!
Tire - Michelin Pilot Road 2 (PR2)
Sizes - 120/70ZR18, 170/60ZR17
Application - 2003 Honda ST1300
Miles - 8175
Riding - daily driver/commuter, weeknight two up local riding, weekend two up touring

Well, the PR2s I put on back in March are toast. This was the second set of PR2s on the bike, and I ran them at 42psi front/rear per Honda recommendations. I made sure to check the pressure about twice a week, but by 5500 miles I had heavy cupping around the edges on the rear and a noticeable wear pattern on the front. I upped the cold PSI to 45 after talking with a tire rep in an attempt to slow the wear on the rear.

That seemed to slow things some, but the damage was already done. The ST1300 is a heavy bike, I'm a heavy guy, the majority of my miles were done running two up, and I'm not always all that easy on the throttle. When we pulled the tires after 8175 total miles, the rear was worn past the wear indicator on the left edge, had about two tenths on the center, and was even with the indicator on the right edge. The tires had been quite noisy for a while, generating a bit of a roaring noise when straight up that turned into a howl while turning.

The PR2s never once let me down though, and traction in rain and light snow was never an issue. I'd hoped to get 8k-10k out of them, and I got 8k, so I'm happy.

I'd recommend them to anyone and would probably run them again in the future. Having said that, and having run through two sets of PR2s, I've switched to a set of Bridgestone BT-023. I changed tires because the BT-023s have been getting good reviews from other ST1300 riders, have had the same reported mileage as the PR2s, and were about $50 cheaper.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Bumping this back up. Lot of information here that's relevant to the car tire discussion going on.

Ghostpilots
Sep 24, 2004

Vigilant Sidekick
I have a 1990 Suzuki D350S on which I currently have running a set of Kenda K257D's. I have noticed lately that I've been running a lot less single track (read: basically none) and muddy fields than I thought I would and would like to switch to a more street-oriented set of dual sport tires this season.

I'm thinking a 80/20, 70/30 or thereabouts would be fine- something that can run highways all day and handle gravel and backroads without making GBS threads the bed. Also nice would be some form of wet weather grip, of which my current tires have none.

Looking pretty carefully at Pirelli MT90 Scorpion A/T's; anyone have any experience? I am also very open to suggestion, though my one caveat is price. Though a set of Anakee 2's would be wonderful I cannot justify the price right now and would prefer something more on the cheap side.

Standard sets for my bike run 80/100-21 front and 110/100-18 rear, which makes finding non-knobby tires a bit of a chore. Any help here as far as what sizes I can run and which brands fit my criteria would be great. Thanks!

EDIT: I know a lot of DR350 owners seem to love the Michelin T63's, and the price for them is certainly right. They just seem a little too knobby for me though I really have no experience with them and have no idea what makes a good tire. Anyone whose run these and wants to chime in would be awesome too

Ghostpilots fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Feb 20, 2011

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Ghostpilots posted:

I'm thinking a 80/20, 70/30 or thereabouts would be fine- something that can run highways all day and handle gravel and backroads without making GBS threads the bed. Also nice would be some form of wet weather grip, of which my current tires have none.

Looking pretty carefully at Pirelli MT90 Scorpion A/T's; anyone have any experience? I am also very open to suggestion, though my one caveat is price. Though a set of Anakee 2's would be wonderful I cannot justify the price right now and would prefer something more on the cheap side.

Standard sets for my bike run 80/100-21 front and 110/100-18 rear, which makes finding non-knobby tires a bit of a chore. Any help here as far as what sizes I can run and which brands fit my criteria would be great. Thanks!

My KDX came with a set of distanzias - believe they're an option in those sizes. Better than trailwings, not that that's saying much.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Saga posted:

My KDX came with a set of distanzias - believe they're an option in those sizes. Better than trailwings, not that that's saying much.

I have a Distanzia (SM compound) on the back of my KTM which I am very pleased with but according to Avon they are intended for the larger (like GS) adventure bikes. Mind you, Avon don't think that my combo (PXR front, Distanzia rear) is kosher..

They do seem to do some sizes that would fit your bike, Ghostpilots.

Ghostpilots
Sep 24, 2004

Vigilant Sidekick
And they would be your vote for the best highway and gravel/fire roads option? Checking prices shows them at around the same price for a rear as the Pirelli Mt90's, about $130 at my local shop, which is around the upper limit I would like to pay.

I have heard great things about the Distanza's, I just never really thought they were an option.

EDIT: My tires also generally run tubed, not tubelesss, I don't know if this makes a difference or not :ssh:

Ghostpilots fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Feb 21, 2011

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
My KTM loving DESTROYS rear tyres and I ride almost exclusively on the road. The Distanzia has held up better than every other tyre I've put on, and it has great riding characteristics.

I run tubes myself.

def snow leppard
Sep 12, 2010

Are pilot road 3s as good or better than I hear about the 2s?
I ask because I found a pair on ebay in the exact size I need for cheap on ebay. (new not used)
http://cgi.ebay.ca/New-Michelin-Pilot-Road-3-Front-Rear-Tires-120-180-17-/360344535981?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item53e63543ad

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Pilot Road 3s are still really new so there aren't a lot of reviews or verdicts for it, I personally really want to try them out eventually, if they're anything as good as the 2s then i'd say go for it. They're only about 10-15$ more per tire over the 2s.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS
I saw the PR3's in person today at the Parts Unlimited dinner and talked to the Michelin rep for a while. The PR3 is basically everything the PR2 is, except better. The grip, longevity, consistency, etc is the same. Difference being is that it has the ciping on it, which according to him took >2 years of development from Mich to get a proper pattern. Also, the cipes do go all the way to the bottom of the tire so you don't have to worry about losing them after X miles. Buy the PR3's. Absolutely no reason not to.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Just replaced the nearly-shot and nailed Pilot Power 2CT rear on the SV1000 with a Dunlop Q2, am I going to regret this? Still running the front 2CT for now, as its got plenty of life left.

The Q2 got good reviews from what I could find.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

The Q2 and Pilot Power 2CT are very comparable, both are multi-compound sport tires that are good for street and track riding with decent wear patterns. I think the Pilot has a bit more of a sharp profile but turn-in shouldn't feel too vastly different. If anything the Q2 may perform better, being a much newer tire.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
The Q2 is a great tire, I have like 3k on mine and it's not flat spotted or anything. It'll slide a lot more in the cold than say a BT016 though.

that one guy chad
Jan 12, 2008

Welp, long term report on the Bt-023 is in.
I got 9500 miles on the rear on the Sv650 before having to replace it, with a wide variety of riding. Including tearing up the mountains every weekend, many 200+ mile days, riding through crazy sonoran monsoons, highway miling the crap out of them and anything else you could throw at them.

All in all, I was super impressed by this tire. Great mileage, and never had any problems with traction in the twisties at all. Toward the end of their life, it started to feel a lot slicker than it did at the beginning. I ran 33/35 and 34/36 on pressures, and never had any problems.

I've now replaced them with another set, this time running a 120/70 up front and not a 120/60. In the first 200 miles, I'm liking the difference. The taller tire feels infinitely better planted, and doesn't push as much when leaned over.

Overall, I'd definitely recommend these guys again. I probably could have gotten another 2000 miles on the rear and another 3-4000 on the front before replacing, but decided to err on the side of caution as I'd hit the wear bars. Great tires.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

What other tires have you run for comparison?

EvilCrayon
Dec 30, 2007
I am replacing the tires on my 1982 Honda CB750F. I was recommended Avon AM26s and Bridgestone BT-45. Does anybody have any experience?

If possible, I'd want to run a radial ply tire but I don't think there are any sizes for my bike.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
BT-45s are good all rounders, Pirelli Sport Demons should also come in similar sizes, what size tires are you looking for?

def snow leppard
Sep 12, 2010

Is there an easy way to get the old tires off so I can take the rims + new tires to get mounted?
I don't think I have any tire changing tools.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Clank posted:

Is there an easy way to get the old tires off so I can take the rims + new tires to get mounted?

If you had the tools to take the tyre off, you'd have the tools to fit the new one yourself.

EDIT: Tyre levers, rim protectors and something to break the bead is all you really need to do the whole thing.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

Clank posted:

part of the new tire installation is removal of the old tires... any shop you take it to is going to have a pneumatic/electric tire changer capable of removing the old tire in 10 seconds or so.

def snow leppard
Sep 12, 2010

needknees posted:

part of the new tire installation is removal of the old tires... any shop you take it to is going to have a pneumatic/electric tire changer capable of removing the old tire in 10 seconds or so.

Oh ok. Guess I should have thought of that.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Was spinning my tire for my chain and...it hurt

What tires should I look at replacing with? These have nearly 7000 miles, it is a kawasaki versys. I like how long the tires have lasted and might like a smidge more of grip. I've been reading a lot of people like the pilot road 2 series from michelin.

Christobevii3 fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Mar 14, 2011

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
haha what the hell, how did you manage that

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Christobevii3 posted:

Was spinning my tire for my chain and...it hurt

What tires should I look at replacing with? These have nearly 7000 miles, it is a kawasaki versys. I like how long the tires have lasted and might like a smidge more of grip. I've been reading a lot of people like the pilot road 2 series from michelin.

:psyduck: Holy hell.

What are you running now? The Road 2s are a fantastic tyre and I recommend them to pretty much everyone who asks.

BaKESAL3
Nov 7, 2010
I'll second Pilot Road 2's. Upgraded from the Battleax tires that Kawasaki put on my 650r and I liked them so much I threw a pair on the R1. They wear about the same as the Bridgestones but they grip a hell of a lot better it seems. Definitely worth the money and I'm definitely buying them again, for both bikes.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS
If you're going to buy Pilot Roads, buy the new Pilot Road 3's. Increased grip, durability, and substantially better rain performance. It's the only motorcycle tire with actual sipes so there is not a single tire that even compares with it. They're a couple dollars more but there's no reason not to buy them, especially since you won't be replacing them too often.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Somewhere i have a picture of a nail through a tire, at the track, that passed through the outermost edge of the tire and exited through the sidewall without causing loss of tire pressure. Crazy poo poo.

I haven't had a chance to ride a bike with PR3s yet, but I'm hoping to sometime soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
I am running the dunlop sportmax d221 tires, stock ones. The pilot sport 3 didn't list for my bike just the 2's. I dont know how this happened and I just have anger and confusion for the time being.

• Locked thread