Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Playing DotA posted:

I am not trying to be morbid or e/n or anything like that. The idea just popped in my head this morning.
You want to live a long life because it's the only time you have, so you live and enjoy as much as possible since there are no do-overs or post-game parties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Playing DotA posted:

I have a philosophical question: If someone is an atheist, and they don't believe in a supreme being or an afterlife, or maybe they don't identify themselves as belonging in a certain group as believing in anything, then what is the point of living or trying to live a long life? Your memories will turn to dirt. If you live to see your great grandchildren, you get pleasure from it, and your grandchildren will get pleasure from it too, but after you die they will be sad for a little while but when they die that chapter ceases to exist. There is no difference in the life of a 15 year old who dues or a 115 year old who dies because death is a guarantee. The difference is in the lives your presence changes, either good or bad.

I am not trying to be morbid or e/n or anything like that. The idea just popped in my head this morning.

Let me answer that with another question: So do you think the only reason to believe in a religion is so that you'll gain eternal life after you die? That only religious people can live whole, fulfilled lives because they're working towards something? There's no intrinsic good or need for fulfillment in people but it's only because of religion that we act that way?

Daemus
Jun 20, 2008

Not entirely undoglike

Playing DotA posted:

I have a philosophical question: If someone is an atheist, and they don't believe in a supreme being or an afterlife, or maybe they don't identify themselves as belonging in a certain group as believing in anything, then what is the point of living or trying to live a long life? Your memories will turn to dirt. If you live to see your great grandchildren, you get pleasure from it, and your grandchildren will get pleasure from it too, but after you die they will be sad for a little while but when they die that chapter ceases to exist. There is no difference in the life of a 15 year old who dues or a 115 year old who dies because death is a guarantee. The difference is in the lives your presence changes, either good or bad.

I don't consider the best part of a roller coaster ride the moment I step out of it at the end. Maximizing the fun while I'm here makes much more sense to me than aiming for an afterlife I'm not even sure exists.

Playing DotA
Dec 8, 2005

change my name posted:

Let me answer that with another question: So do you think the only reason to believe in a religion is so that you'll gain eternal life after you die? That only religious people can live whole, fulfilled lives because they're working towards something? There's no intrinsic good or need for fulfillment in people but it's only because of religion that we act that way?

1. No
2. No. I hope I didn't come off as thinking that way.
3. I will have to think about that.

Basically my point was that your memories mean nothing after you die. Peoples memories of you mean something. That's loving depressing.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

Playing DotA posted:

Pascal's wager is fun reading for this line of thought.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pascal%27s_wager
Note: Ignoring the Christian viewpoint, the form of the argument has been largely dismissed by some, and expanded in interesting directions by others.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

john mayer posted:

My understanding is that if you get towed on private property, you can just go and retrieve your car because you didn't authorize the tow. (This doesn't count for city handicapped parking on private property.) And you can't get a ticket.

You won't get a parking ticket on private property because police do not enforce parking laws on private property (generally), but the idea that you do not have to pay for a tow when it is from private property is just silly.

It's called an impound yard for a reason. To put it in plain terms, you do not have to pay for the tow, but then the tow yard also does not have to release your car. Most people value their cars more than the cost of a tow fee.

If it was somehow not possible to tow cars from private property, no one would ever pay attention to 'resident parking only' signs in apartment buildings, and I would never have a parking space.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

kapalama posted:

If it was somehow not possible to tow cars from private property, no one would ever pay attention to 'resident parking only' signs in apartment buildings, and I would never have a parking space.

It works because the hassle of suing towing companies is more than the cost of paying for their exorbitant towing fees - which are often in violation of state law themselves, like the one company here that charges $75/day for storage.

Also, not every state has laws on the books for towing from private property, and they often vary between states.

corgski fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Feb 26, 2011

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Somebody explain this stupidity to me, please? I installed Microsoft Office PowerPoint Viewer 2007 to view powerpoint files--from Microsoft's official website--and now my docx and co. files have disassociated with the MS Word program.

When I try to change the default 'use program to open this type file' it refuses to select MS word.
I'll go to right click, 'open with...', hit browse and select 'WINWORD.EXE' and it'll go back to the 'open with...' dialog box with IE or sometimes notepad selected.

Why does my computer hate me? I would uninstall the powerpoint viewer but I kinda really need it.

I'm on Vista using Word 2007.

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

I spent $1,000 on my computer but I'm too "poor" to take my dog or any of my animals to the vet for vet care. My neglect caused 1 of my birds to die prematurely! My dog pisses everywhere! I don't care! I'm a piece of shit! Don't believe me? Check my post history in Pet Island!
I have this cheap lamp that asks for a <40watt type b bulb. I didn't know what b meant, ended up getting a 40watt bulb and its a type g.
Is it still usable safely or should I return it?

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.
Type seems to indicate the shape of the bulb - b's are long and skinny, kind of like a candle flame, whereas g's are globes. It'll work fine, as long as it'll physically fit in the lamp without brushing against something that'll get hot and catch on fire.

http://www.goodmart.com/info/incan_bulb_types.aspx

beef express
Sep 7, 2005

The highest technique is to have no technique.
This is maybe a long shot, but does anyone know of any thread or general resource where I could find good voice acting for a college project? It's pretty hit-and-miss getting strangers in from around campus :(

john mayer
Jan 18, 2011

kapalama posted:

You won't get a parking ticket on private property because police do not enforce parking laws on private property (generally), but the idea that you do not have to pay for a tow when it is from private property is just silly.

It's called an impound yard for a reason. To put it in plain terms, you do not have to pay for the tow, but then the tow yard also does not have to release your car. Most people value their cars more than the cost of a tow fee.

You can still get a ticket if it's a city handicapped parking space in a private lot, but that's really the only instance I can think of. Your city 'enforces' those handicapped parking spaces most places, though I doubt they have anyone check any of them anywhere at all.

As for the tow company, it does depend on the state, but they do have to release your car in many states if it wasn't a ticketing offense. The thing is, most people don't know this and therefore just pay the amount to get their car back. If they don't release your car, you can technically sue them, though usually it's worth more to them to just release the car. They're still making money off the other cars they towed that day.

I've gotten people's cars out of the tow yard before, but I still don't park in resident parking because I'm not an rear end in a top hat.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage
Does anyone know of any secular food banks in the UK? I don't mind that food banks are run by churches or set in them, but I watched a film by The Trussell Trust who run food banks, and it kept going on and on about doing God's work and spreading the gospel and giving out scripture to vulnerable people and it made me uncomfortable.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Playing DotA posted:

Basically my point was that your memories mean nothing after you die. People's memories of you mean something. That's loving depressing.

Why is it depressing? Your mind can have experiences --

quote:

There is no difference in the life of a 15 year old who dues or a 115 year old who dies because death is a guarantee.
I think this assertion is faulty, since the sum of experience for the old man could be really vast and cool and enjoyable. His life is also qualitatively different from everyone else's, despite all of our lives being terminated in death.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
No one is right or wrong about value of a person's life.
It's all personal belief. You are each right to your own self.

Playing Dota, if it depresses you, then you are right it is depressing.

Kimbo305, human value and morals are not scientific values and can only be measured per an individual's beliefs.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

cosmicjim posted:

Kimbo305, human value and morals are not scientific values and can only be measured per an individual's beliefs.

Uh, duh. I wager that most individuals would think a 15 year-old having a good life (again, based on their subjective measurement of his life) was missing out on more good life ahead if he died young.

The only inarguable difference between an old man dying and a young one dying is that the elder has lived many more days. If that isn't fundamental difference enough to Playing Dota, then yeah, all lives are the same.

OMG JC a Bomb!
Jul 13, 2004

We are the Invisible Spatula. We are the Grilluminati. We eat before and after dinner. We eat forever. And eventually... eventually we will lead them into the dining room.
I live pretty far away from civilization, and because of that the only ISPs available are the major telecoms--which all have a 5gb a month limit. Unfortunately, the internet isn't made to be friendly with monthly data limits. I've almost exhausted my options as far as local, small-business ISPs go. However, one of my friends recently showed me his Droid X, and part of his (madatory) service package was an unlimited data plan for twenty bucks a month, which is about forty dollars less than what I'm paying for the nonsense I have now with the same provider that he has. So I'm wondering:

-Is it worth it to buy a decent smart phone just to have unlimited data usage, but only on a small-ish cell phone? I'm not sure how compatible most websites would be with a phone's screen, though it seems like a lot of sites have versions specifically for phones.

-Is there any way to use the phone's data plan on my desktop? I know that it's possible to turn the phone into a wi-fi hotspot, but it's limited to 2GB a month and costs about $20 extra, which is retarded.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.
Navigation, reading most sites, the whole experience is much worse on a cell phone. Also, I'd read the cell phone service contract real carefully before you sign it; "unlimited" tends to mean "unlimited, within reason (which is about 5gb/month before we throttle you)".

I can't tell you if it'd be worth it in your case.

Jeffrey Colon
Dec 13, 2007

Let's get down to brass tacks. How much for the ape?

OMG JC a Bomb! posted:

I live pretty far away from civilization, and because of that the only ISPs available are the major telecoms--which all have a 5gb a month limit. Unfortunately, the internet isn't made to be friendly with monthly data limits. I've almost exhausted my options as far as local, small-business ISPs go. However, one of my friends recently showed me his Droid X, and part of his (madatory) service package was an unlimited data plan for twenty bucks a month, which is about forty dollars less than what I'm paying for the nonsense I have now with the same provider that he has. So I'm wondering:

-Is it worth it to buy a decent smart phone just to have unlimited data usage, but only on a small-ish cell phone? I'm not sure how compatible most websites would be with a phone's screen, though it seems like a lot of sites have versions specifically for phones.

-Is there any way to use the phone's data plan on my desktop? I know that it's possible to turn the phone into a wi-fi hotspot, but it's limited to 2GB a month and costs about $20 extra, which is retarded.

I have a Droid and use an app to tether my phone to my computer (use its 3G) and it works great. It's free, but limited to 10 https sites. You can also pay somewhere around $15 (one time) for unlimited everything though. I use it a ton for work and the internet it provides is surprisingly quick. It also intercepts text messages so you can type them on your computer instead of your phone. The app is called PDANet.

Another option is Mobile Broadband. I can't comment on its reliability first hand, but most cell providers offer it at a decent rate.

Oh, and what Gravity Pike said. Tons of sites look like crap on a smart phone and I'd never use it as a main source for internet under any circumstances.

OMG JC a Bomb!
Jul 13, 2004

We are the Invisible Spatula. We are the Grilluminati. We eat before and after dinner. We eat forever. And eventually... eventually we will lead them into the dining room.

Jeffrey Colon posted:

I have a Droid and use an app to tether my phone to my computer (use its 3G) and it works great. It's free, but limited to 10 https sites. You can also pay somewhere around $15 (one time) for unlimited everything though. I use it a ton for work and the internet it provides is surprisingly quick. It also intercepts text messages so you can type them on your computer instead of your phone. The app is called PDANet.

Awesome. That's pretty much exactly what I was looking for. Although with your data plan, is it throttled after you reach a monthly data limit?

charlesmartel11235
May 10, 2008

by Ozmaugh
How do I bag a MILF?

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

charlesmartel11235 posted:

How do I bag a MILF?

Since they're in the same family as cougars, just use a tranquilizer gun and a cage

Jeffrey Colon
Dec 13, 2007

Let's get down to brass tacks. How much for the ape?

OMG JC a Bomb! posted:

Awesome. That's pretty much exactly what I was looking for. Although with your data plan, is it throttled after you reach a monthly data limit?

I'm on a family plan with 3 other people who use a moderate amount of data and I use a very large amount (not sure how often/how much I go over per month though) and I've personally never noticed a slow down. So that's anecdotal, but I did some quick research online and besides some minor policy changes, it doesn't look like Verizon does any sort of throttling. Not sure about other providers though.

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

The power adapter for my Dell laptop died and the replacement is going to take a few days to arrive. In the meantime I bought one of those universal laptop power adapters from a local electronics store.

The wattage the universal adapter puts out is correct, but it doesn't do the exact voltage my laptop wants - laptop wants 19.5 but the closest I can get from the adapter is 19 volts (it can do 20 as well but I figured going down would be better).

The laptop is successfully running off the adapter at 19 volts, but I got a message when I plugged it in saying that it was an unrecognised type and that my system would run slowly (it is) and not charge the battery.

I'm fine with that since this is just a temporary stopgap until the proper adapter shows up, but I'm just wondering if I'm going to be doing any damage to my laptop by running it on a slightly incorrect voltage for a few days?

Torka fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Feb 27, 2011

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
How come every time I've gone to Wikipedia in the last day or so I'm prompted to put in a username and password for http://geoiplookup.wikimedia.org with the message "The site says: 'xampp user'"? Nothing happens if I just cancel it.

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

hooah posted:

How come every time I've gone to Wikipedia in the last day or so I'm prompted to put in a username and password for http://geoiplookup.wikimedia.org with the message "The site says: 'xampp user'"? Nothing happens if I just cancel it.

That link just returns my location. Wikipedia itself seems to work fine.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Knightmare posted:

In Germany you can definitely get a ticket for calling a police officer "a loving nazi" and such. I think tickets go up to a couple thousand dollars too if I remember right.

That's Germany. In the US, it's 100% legal to give the finger to a cop or tell them "gently caress you" or whatever.

Some police departments have even gone as far to train their officers about this because they were tired of writing settlement checks to people who got cited for "disorderly conduct" or something when they mouthed off like that.

Elijya
May 11, 2005

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.

How do I bag a MILF?

Craigslist

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

hooah posted:

The same thing happened to me when I went to an article on NY Times, with the requesting URL being up.nytimes.com. Why do these sites think I'm a xampp user?

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

So, a piece of ash (yes, from weed) burnt a small hole (maybe a cm across) in my roommate's couch cushion, and now I'm in deep poo poo. Is it common for local furniture stores or fabric shops to match the fabric and fix it? Or do I pretty much have to buy a new couch cushion (provided they're sold seperately). Never had much interest in furniture so I dunno what to expect. Any ideas?

Zegnar
Mar 13, 2005

Kaiser Bill posted:

So, a piece of ash (yes, from weed) burnt a small hole (maybe a cm across) in my roommate's couch cushion, and now I'm in deep poo poo. Is it common for local furniture stores or fabric shops to match the fabric and fix it? Or do I pretty much have to buy a new couch cushion (provided they're sold seperately). Never had much interest in furniture so I dunno what to expect. Any ideas?

Maybe get a quote for invisible mending as you would for a suit?

Expensive poo poo, but maybe cheaper than having a new cushion made..

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Kaiser Bill posted:

Figure out the manufacturer of the couch. There's probably a tag either under the cushions or on the bottom of the couch somewhere. You can give them a call and see if they offer replacement cushions. Other than that you may be boned. I suggest finding a way to make it up to your roommate and being more careful with your weed in the future.

Fake edit: Check and see if the covers are removable, if they are your chances of an inexpensive fix are way better.

Kobalt
Mar 19, 2003

How do I bag a MILF?

Hang out with your local bikers.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Figure out the manufacturer of the couch. There's probably a tag either under the cushions or on the bottom of the couch somewhere. You can give them a call and see if they offer replacement cushions. Other than that you may be boned. I suggest finding a way to make it up to your roommate and being more careful with your weed in the future.

Fake edit: Check and see if the covers are removable, if they are your chances of an inexpensive fix are way better.

Yeah they're removable. I just don't see the need for a whole new cushion, the fabric doesn't wrap all the way around it and it's just beige polyester, not anything exotic. Couldn't find a tag listing the manufacturer, either. Either way, somethings gotta be done, she's loving pissed.

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

I'm looking for clarification on when copyrighted material enters the public domain. According to Wikipedia, works published before 1923 are all in the public domain (right?), but works published between 1923 and 1963 are all copyrighted for a term of 95 years. Does this mean essentially that there will be no new (originally copyrighted) works in the public domain until 2018? When did the pre-1923 copyrights expire?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Florida Betty posted:

I'm looking for clarification on when copyrighted material enters the public domain. According to Wikipedia, works published before 1923 are all in the public domain (right?), but works published between 1923 and 1963 are all copyrighted for a term of 95 years. Does this mean essentially that there will be no new (originally copyrighted) works in the public domain until 2018? When did the pre-1923 copyrights expire?

Mickey Mouse Protection Act.
Disney really doesn't want Mickey Mouse to enter the public domain.

Wikipedia posted:

Under this Act, additional works made in 1923 or afterwards that were still protected by copyright in 1998 will not enter the public domain until 2019 or afterward (depending on the date of the product) unless the owner of the copyright releases them into the public domain prior to that or if the copyright gets extended again.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

Florida Betty posted:

things worth noting:

1. Copyright is not a given, and can be lost if not claimed in proper legal fashion (see George Romero and 'Night of the Living Dead'), or protected.

2. The sponsorship of the US Congress by large corporations has pretty much guaranteed that unless something drastically changes, copyright might never expire on thing currently under copyright. (It has been extended time and again in recent times.)

3. Laws vary greatly from country to country, but the US economic, military and political power is forcing other countries to match US rules, so the differences are growing less with time.

4. Many things were not 95 years, but rather "life plus x number of years" where life is the lifespan of the original copyright holder plus some added length after death. This rule is why many things have fallen out of copyright.

5. Hilarious fact: Of the roughly 40 million books in US libraries, for example, an estimated 32 million are in copyright. Of these, some 27 million are out of print. So you cannot print them, and the rights holder is also not interested on printing them. (Also known as 'why copyright is the death of public discourse.")

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Florida Betty posted:

There's lots of stuff after 1923 that fell into the public domain because copyright terms were, until the early 60s, 56 years, and after the first 28 years you had to manually reapply to get the 28 year extension. Because of this, and people not bothering to get the extension or being unable, there is stuff up to about 1968 or so that fell into the public domain.

So for example, all of HP Lovecraft's writing are in the public domain despite the last ones being done in 1937 - there was noone ready to renew them properly in 1964 when the last ones ended their first term of protection.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I cut myself at work today. I was told they had no plasters because it's against health & safety rules, something to do with someone perhaps being allergic to them?

My questions are:

1. Has anyone heard of or experienced this as being true?

2. If it is true, what are you meant to do if you cut yourself?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Anjow posted:

I cut myself at work today. I was told they had no plasters because it's against health & safety rules, something to do with someone perhaps being allergic to them?

That's ridiculous. Adhesive bandages come in a variety of materials and are sealed in an air-tight sterile package. Even in the off chance that someone was too deathly allergic for them to be stored in your workplace in this way then there is sure to be a kind of bandage out there that is made of some sort of hypoallergenic material.

Your manager is a dick.