Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

hootimus posted:

What's going on here?
Glibc is probably resolving .local via a method other than dns lookup.

What does your /etc/host.conf, /etc/nsswitch.conf, and /etc/resolv.conf contain? Are you running avahi?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I've set up a VirtualHost on Apache but I get 403 every time I try to connect to http://test
Is there something wrong with these config entries? I can get to the default host fine.
I've chmodded everything in projects to 777

code:
<Directory /home/rt4/projects>
	AllowOverride All
	Order Allow,Deny
	Allow from All
</Directory>

<VirtualHost *:80>
	DocumentRoot "/home/rt4/projects/test"
	ServerName test
</VirtualHost>

Comatoast
Aug 1, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Doesn't <Directory> need to be inside the <VirtualHost> ?

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I don't think so. Putting it inside VirtualHost didn't change anything. Maybe my vhost is fine and I've done something else wrong?

edit: eh, I'm gonna give nginx a shot

spiritual bypass fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Feb 27, 2011

pram
Jun 10, 2001
Are you using selinux, what does your apache error_log say?

Just tail -f your error_log and refresh the page.

jromano
Sep 24, 2007
I have an old P2 Compaq with 64mb that I've been trying to install Linux on, since XP runs extremely slow. However, I can't get any of the Live CDs to boot. They never make it past the text loader. So far I've tried:

Linux Mint LXDE (wishful thinking)
Crunchbang (goes to a black screen)
Puppy (actually boots, and even got wireless working, but locks up at the installer)
Slatiz (it hangs at kernel_thread_helper)

Any ideas of how I can get this thing up and running? I'd prefer Linux over an old version of Windows.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Pram posted:

Are you using selinux, what does your apache error_log say?

Just tail -f your error_log and refresh the page.

No SELinux here. The log says:

[error] [client 127.0.0.1] (13)Permission denied: access to / denied

edit: Dammit! I had the directory permissions set right for my project directory, but not my home directory. :sweatdrop:

spiritual bypass fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Feb 27, 2011

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

jromano posted:

I have an old P2 Compaq with 64mb

You're going to need more RAM. Depending on what speed that machine is, you'll need either 66MHz or 100MHz SDRAM (350+ MHz will have the 100MHz bus). PC100 is generally backwards compatible, though. Not sure about PC133.

That said, you'll be best off with something like Slackware. Give OpenBSD or FreeBSD a try as well. OpenBSD is very light-weight. Load up FluxBox and you can even run Firefox.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Glibc is probably resolving .local via a method other than dns lookup.

What does your /etc/host.conf, /etc/nsswitch.conf, and /etc/resolv.conf contain? Are you running avahi?
You get a gold star! My nsswitch.conf was hosed up. It used to contain this:

code:
hosts: files mdns4_minimal [NOTFOUND=return] dns
And I changed it to this:
code:
hosts: files dns mdns4_minimal
Works great now, thanks!

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Is there a way to prevent a directory from being stupidly deleted, while having it act like a normal directory in every other regard? rm -rf important/ should fail, while mkdir important/stuff/ and touch important/file should both succeed. Unfortunately, I think this is impossible with standard UNIX permissions, but I feel like there must be some common workaround. Any ideas?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

hootimus posted:

My nsswitch.conf was hosed up.
I wouldn't say that's "hosed up" so much as "someone else decided that .local should only exist in the mdns universe," which is an arguably reasonable if not short-sighted policy.

Which distribution is this? It's worth knowing which are going to cause this kind of trouble in the future.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Which distribution is this? It's worth knowing which are going to cause this kind of trouble in the future.
Suse 11.2 and I've also checked on the 11.4RC2 and it has it as well

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

ColdPie posted:

Is there a way to prevent a directory from being stupidly deleted, while having it act like a normal directory in every other regard? rm -rf important/ should fail, while mkdir important/stuff/ and touch important/file should both succeed. Unfortunately, I think this is impossible with standard UNIX permissions, but I feel like there must be some common workaround. Any ideas?
I think you want the chattr command for that

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

ColdPie posted:

I do this on our company's FTP server. Read up on "chattr", that's what I used.

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

wank wank you're a pro vaper I'm not wooptiedoo...
I'm in the process of attempting to reflash a Wyse terminal and make it into a little linux box. I'm following this guide:

http://web.archive.org/web/20080407133601/http://thunderlord.net.pl/evo/

using this script:

http://web.archive.org/web/20080420192133/www.mowson.org/karl/articles/linux-netxfer/

and having problems with tftpd.

this is the error I'm getting:

"Feb 27 13:49:12 htpc tftpd[578]: unknown option -?"

I have modified the script only a little, just changed "eth0" to "eth1" but I haven't changed it in any other way.

I have made sure that tftpd and dhcpd are installed on my machine. <edit> and as you can see there is no "tftpd -?" in the script... so maybe the question mark refers to a command my version of tftpd can't do?

drukqs fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Feb 28, 2011

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

blink 182 posted:

lsof?

The command returns very very quickly and only happens once a minute. It would take a near-miracle for lsof's repeat mode to catch it in the act, though I can give it a shot.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

crazyfish posted:

The command returns very very quickly and only happens once a minute. It would take a near-miracle for lsof's repeat mode to catch it in the act, though I can give it a shot.

How about writing up a little script to output lsof to a file on access using inotifywait

That would be easier than doing it manually anyway.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

crazyfish posted:

Short of printk()s in the kernel, is there a way for me to be able to tell which process is issuing a particular obscure SCSI command to a particular device?
Processes shouldn't be issuing SCSI commands. That's the kernel's job, and if that's going wrong, it probably indicates an issue with the kernel/drivers or hardware rather than a user-mode program. Your first step is to trace down the syscall making that command, which can be done by stracing all running processes or by making good use of SystemTap.

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Feb 28, 2011

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Misogynist posted:

Processes shouldn't be issuing SCSI commands. That's the kernel's job, and if that's going wrong, it probably indicates an issue with the kernel/drivers or hardware rather than a user-mode program. Your first step is to trace down the syscall making that command, which can be done by stracing all running processes or by making good use of SystemTap.

Well aware of the distinction, though it's quite possible for a userland application to initiate the process (think smartd). In any case, I haven't heard of SystemTap before - I'll be sure to look into that. Thanks.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Misogynist posted:

Processes shouldn't be issuing SCSI commands.
Jörg Schilling and libscg disagrees with this.

He wrote cdrecord & libscg (which cdrecord uses) for Solaris/Linux/whatever. The idea is kind of cool, libscg is a generic SCSI transport layer so that the SCSI bus/commands may be observed/issued by userspace programs directly. This allowed cdrecord to be ported to a bunch of Unix variants that implemented their kernel-level SCSI stacks differently. While this made his CD burning tools widely available, they were for a long time a giant pain the rear end for Linux users to use. Especially when it was insisting on making SCSI calls directly to drives that weren't even SCSI devices (ATAPI, a SCSI-speaking ATA hybrid) and so required a bunch of hackery in the kernel to actually work.

He's been mad at Debian (and Linux in general) ever since Debian folks patched cdrecord to make it a bit easier to use (be able to run as a non-root user, allow users to specify drives uses a device name instead of SCSI bus:device:lun notation, etc.) He flipped his poo poo during a license controversy a few years later, and I don't think has been heard of much since.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Feb 28, 2011

hackedaccount
Sep 28, 2009
Perhaps a tool like dtrace or SystemTap would help.

EDIT: Oops, Message-o-nist beat me to it.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

ExcessBLarg! posted:

He flipped his poo poo during a license controversy a few years later, and I don't think has been heard of much since.

Thankfully, OpenSolaris came along and took one for the team.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Jörg Schilling
I never had any idea about this, the drama is kind of hilarious:

code:
Note: The author of cdrecord should not be bothered with problems in this version.

TheOtherContraGuy
Jul 4, 2007

brave skeleton sacrifice
Is there a good Ubuntu equivalent of EndNote?

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

TheOtherContraGuy posted:

Is there a good Ubuntu equivalent of EndNote?

Not quite the same thing, but I like Mendeley. It is a PDF manager, with a bunch of added bonuses. It can also work as a citation manager. Zortero (sp?) is a Firefox extension that some people really like.

uG
Apr 23, 2003

by Ralp
If I am already using nginx and want a reverse proxy, what should I use? It seems like most people use nginx as a reverse proxy in front of apache, and installing 2 versions of nginx sounds messy.

The reason I want to do this is to stop slow connections from taking up all my fast cgi sockets.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
Squid?

uG
Apr 23, 2003

by Ralp

Pram posted:

Squid?
That was the obvious choice, but it seems nginx is set to overtake squid in that category too. I guess I was really hoping for a way to do this with just nginx :(

pram
Jun 10, 2001
You could try Apache and mod_proxy but that might defeat the purpose. :mmmhmm:

covener
Jan 10, 2004

You know, for kids!

uG posted:

That was the obvious choice, but it seems nginx is set to overtake squid in that category too.

Does that matter?

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

uG posted:

If I am already using nginx and want a reverse proxy, what should I use? It seems like most people use nginx as a reverse proxy in front of apache, and installing 2 versions of nginx sounds messy.

The reason I want to do this is to stop slow connections from taking up all my fast cgi sockets.

Apache behind nginx works great if it suits your needs better.

Does this do what you want http://nginxlimitproxy.sourceforge.net ?

There are also some built in limiting functions if you search the nginx wiki.

Modern Pragmatist
Aug 20, 2008
I'm the only Linux user in a mostly Windows work environment. I have several services that are used around the lab including smb, ssh, and svn. The problem is that none of the computers are able to ping my computer using my hostname. When I ping my IP address instead, it works fine. I could technically go around and put an entry in everyone's hosts file since I have a static IP, but there has to be another way.

I believe that the computers are using UDP broadcast for their hostname lookup but I'm not sure what settings I haven't toggled just right to get them to recognize my computer via hostname.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I am running Fedora 14

Profane Obituary!
May 19, 2009

This Motherfucker is Dead

uG posted:

I never tried this, but what if you setup a server block in nginx to listen to 127.0.0.1:10000 or something, and have that pass to fcgi. Then have your normal server block for your website, proxy to 127.0.0.1:10000. I think that might work?

bort
Mar 13, 2003

Modern Pragmatist posted:

The problem is that none of the computers are able to ping my computer using my hostname. When I ping my IP address instead, it works fine. I could technically go around and put an entry in everyone's hosts file since I have a static IP, but there has to be another way.
Is your nmbd daemon running? chkconfig --list nmb or service nmb status

That will let clients resolve your hostname using NetBIOS.

e: extra d

bort fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Mar 1, 2011

Modern Pragmatist
Aug 20, 2008

bort posted:

Is your nmbd daemon running? chkconfig --list nmb or service nmb status

That will let clients resolve your hostname using NetBIOS.

e: extra d

Interesting. For some reason it wasn't running. When I toggle that it works. Now, to add it as a startup task I should be able to do:

code:
chkconfig --levels 3 nmb on
right? It doesn't seem to actually start it.

The other option is rc.local but that's kinda messy. Any ideas?

pram
Jun 10, 2001
Pretty sure smb starts nmb, at least in RHEL. Use chkconfig smb on

enotnert
Jun 10, 2005

Only women bleed
Well, netbios is normally dickish (I can never get it working right at home, something about masters fighting and blah blah blah).

Easiest way is to add manually to hosts, or find whoever controls your DNS and add it into your DNS resolution.

Modern Pragmatist
Aug 20, 2008
Looks like everything is working just dandy for now. Thanks for the help. I'll keep my fingers crossed that it continues to function as expected.

bort
Mar 13, 2003

Modern Pragmatist posted:

chkconfig --levels 3 nmb on

right? It doesn't seem to actually start it.
Yeah, chkconfig just sets the runlevel (I'd just use chkconfig nmb on, the defaults are usually right). That's why I put the service command there, too.

quote:

Well, netbios is normally dickish
Yes, it's a horrible protocol, but it was what he was looking for. Hosts isn't easier. :kiddo:

bort fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Mar 2, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

uG posted:

Just out of curiosity, how does this setup benefit you?