Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

A5H posted:

I don't like it at all. Why is that better than some cellphone pic some bro snapped of his gently caress buddy?

Intimate/Candid/Loose aesthetic = no effort, no technicality?

It depends on how it's used - like with the olivia munn thing it works because it wants to convey that Munn is your gently caress buddy.

It's about making it accessible, making you believe that girl/lifestyle is obtainable. Rather than how maxim and fhm shoots used to be - portraying an inaccessible woman in an inaccessible location.

It's sort of a reversal against the technically perfect but bland editorials magazines are filled with.

I'm not the biggest fan of the bare bulb direct flash style. I'd rather them use a big window or something as a light source for a candid intimate story

Paragon8 fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Feb 27, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Yeah but literally anyone could do that?
I guess I just don't understand it :saddowns:

brad industry
May 22, 2004

Paragon8 posted:

It's only a matter of time before we get a mainstream editorial shot on an iPhone. I'm actually a little surprised we haven't had one already

Who was that journalist who did the Iraq story with Hipstamatic?

Or Jorge Columbo's iPhone drawings that have been multiple New Yorker covers.

quote:

I don't like it at all. Why is that better than some cellphone pic some bro snapped of his gently caress buddy?

Who gives a poo poo how technical it is? They're selling a product, and AA's advertising is not exactly what I would call unsuccessful. They made selling basic t-shirts hip, it's genius and it works whether people think it's a "good" photograph or not.

Weren't we just talking in this thread about retouching in advertising and how consumers don't like seeing these imperfect people that have been airbrushed and Liquified into aliens? This kind of photography in a commercial context is a direct reaction against that which is why it gets people's attention even if the images are "poo poo" from nerd photographer perspective.

I HATE CARS
May 10, 2009

by Ozmaugh

A5H posted:

Oh do not start this poo poo again.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

A5H posted:

well anyone could technically speaking do it - so by using the most common and basic medium they're putting the ultimate faith in their skills at composition, posing and interacting with the model. It's being ballsy and basically saying that they don't need a fancy camera to show they're a great photographer.

It's like doing an awesome sketch on the back of a napkin in a restaurant.

It's worth remembering that most of these guys do know their poo poo and they've probably had to spend years setting up precise lights and all sorts of technical poo poo as assistants and now they've proven themselves doing that they're having a bit of fun and flexing their creativity.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

brad industry posted:

Who gives a poo poo how technical it is? They're selling a product, and AA's advertising is not exactly what I would call unsuccessful. They made selling basic t-shirts hip, it's genius and it works whether people think it's a "good" photograph or not.

Weren't we just talking in this thread about retouching in advertising and how consumers don't like seeing these imperfect people that have been airbrushed and Liquified into aliens? This kind of photography in a commercial context is a direct reaction against that which is why it gets people's attention even if the images are "poo poo" from nerd photographer perspective.

I meant the photographer guy whose 'thing' it is. I guess it makes sense as an advertisement if it's cool and grabs attention or whatever. I just don't see the appeal in a photographic sense.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

A5H posted:

Technical aspects should solely serve the intended end product, there is absolutely no reason to value something on production.

brad industry
May 22, 2004

A5H posted:

This is my least favorite phrase ever :doh:

brad industry fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Feb 28, 2011

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

brad industry posted:

that should be the title of the thread about what is art in photography.

I HATE CARS
May 10, 2009

by Ozmaugh

Paragon8 posted:

that should be the title of the thread about what is art in photography.

Actually, it should be bannable.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

brad industry posted:

Worse than 'nice photographs, you must have a good camera' ?

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

A5H posted:

So why aren't you a photographer for Maxim?

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Arguments about whether or not anyone could have made photograph 'X' aside, the point is, they did it and you didn't. If it's that easy, shut up and go make these supposedly simple photos and make a great living/become well known.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

The AA ad guy shoots for maxim? In the same style?

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
In response to the thing about film vs digital P&S, the good film P&S cameras had lenses as good as any SLR. The only difference was that it was a fixed lens. If you took two photos, one from a P&S and one from an SLR with all conditions being equal, they would largely be indistinguishable. It's not like with digital where there's a huge gap in sensor quality. With film, any camera could use the same sensor.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.
This is why reddit's photography subreddit is retarded

I found a link on there to some photographs supposedly taken by a photographer when he was 7. http://www.hebert-photo.com/IWS00.html (you click the image to move forward. Dumb navigation, I know.)

90% of the comments were "omg this website sucks lol" but then the rest were things like this

quote:

I don't understand the appeal of any of these photos or this particular style of photography. For the most part, his work panders to a sense of nostalgia more than adhering to the fundamental principles of good photography such as composition and subject matter.
This photograph,

for instance, has no merit. As someone has already said, the series looks like it was taken by a seven year old who's received his first camera. In my opinion, "liking" these photos reinforces the idea that "my kid could paint that" and cheapens the artistic value of our profession.
There's truly only one or two good photographs in the bunch, yet even those were taken by chance. What does this say about the "art" of photography? No doubt all good photographs involve a little luck, but when luck is the only merit I'm suspicious. Is it still art? What about it makes it art?
I can judge these images on several objective scales: is the composition sound? Does the range of tones complement the subject matter? Are the pictures straight, properly cropped? How compelling is the subject matter?
Sadly, aside from being monochromatic and "old," there's very little positive things to say about this set. When I see images that rely on their "old look" to be appealing, my first instinct is to disregard them. Sadly, sets such as these are praised in this subreddit, but I can never quite tell why.
What's the appeal of old photographs? Why are bad composition and uninteresting subject matter so highly praised as long as it's masked with a Polaroid or high contrast black-and-white filter?

how the gently caress does that photo have "no merit"? I responded with

quote:

The first one you linked is fantastic. Take a closer look at it. The highly prevalent geometry is really quite good. Those cars are framed perfectly, sitting along the diagonal line that pretty much every other shape in the photo lends to.
The set as a whole is pretty good, actually. Kid had a great eye for complimentary lines and the square format.

and got downvoted to -2, and he responded

quote:

No, he doesn't. There is no artistic intent in any of these photographs. What you're doing is imposing understanding on a random assortment of elements based on what you know. The photographer, on the other hand, had absolutely no clue about anything you just said.
You're praising randomness because you want these to be good.

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer
Just show those guys some REAL (bad) photography from this thread :v:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3303711

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

HPL posted:

In response to the thing about film vs digital P&S, the good film P&S cameras had lenses as good as any SLR. The only difference was that it was a fixed lens. If you took two photos, one from a P&S and one from an SLR with all conditions being equal, they would largely be indistinguishable. It's not like with digital where there's a huge gap in sensor quality. With film, any camera could use the same sensor.
Good point, I stupidly didn't think of that. This gives me hope I'll get some good shots out of my ancient folding 120 camera (5 rolls of Tri-X on their way).

In a somewhat related question, why are DSLRs so big, when the sensor is smaller than 135 film? Has anyone heard of / seen a trend towards smaller bodies in "full frame" DSLRs? I'm assuming the size is due to the additional electronics, and the fact a digital sensor is considerably thicker than a piece of film, even taking into account winding mechanisms and spools and so forth.

How big is the Pentax 645D compared to the 645N? Are digital sensors and their associated circuitry getting more compact for the same sensor area?

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

dakana posted:

stuff

What? You're just attributing stuff to that photo based on what you know as a photographer. There's no way the photographer who took that photo knew those things that you know.

:lol:

It's super easy to spot the people who can't get their work recognized at all.

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003

mr. mephistopheles posted:

There's no way the photographer who took that photo knew those things that you know.

Why would the photographer have to know those things for them to be true?

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

ExecuDork posted:

Good point, I stupidly didn't think of that. This gives me hope I'll get some good shots out of my ancient folding 120 camera (5 rolls of Tri-X on their way).

In a somewhat related question, why are DSLRs so big, when the sensor is smaller than 135 film? Has anyone heard of / seen a trend towards smaller bodies in "full frame" DSLRs? I'm assuming the size is due to the additional electronics, and the fact a digital sensor is considerably thicker than a piece of film, even taking into account winding mechanisms and spools and so forth.

How big is the Pentax 645D compared to the 645N? Are digital sensors and their associated circuitry getting more compact for the same sensor area?
DSLRS have a ton of electronics in them for focus and exposure as well as the image processing and other stuff. Go look up disassembly guides for a DSLR and it's insane how much crap they can cram in them. On the other hand, film cameras are light-tight boxes.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

Mannequin posted:

Why would the photographer have to know those things for them to be true?

So, um, I took a shot at making an Art thread. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3393131 and maybe we can answer some of these questions.

surgical scar
Nov 8, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
here's the secret to defining art: it is what you say it is

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

HPL posted:

DSLRS have a ton of electronics in them for focus and exposure as well as the image processing and other stuff.
Also, you can't shrink à mirror assembly :-)

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
I got an email about licening a photo! Unfortunately, I wasn't the photographer. It's some other rear end in a top hat name Paul Chin they wanted. At least I rank higher than him in Google.
This is the photo in question. http://articles.sfgate.com/2010-07-05/entertainment/21938429_1_aikido-chorus-energy He actually spells his name with 2 'n's which I've never seen before.

The internet makes for some interesting scenarios.

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

I've recently got an iphone, and the discovery of the free light meter app has made my life infinitely easier. It works really well, I'm impressed! Any other must-have photo apps?

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

I got an email about licening a photo! Unfortunately, I wasn't the photographer. It's some other rear end in a top hat name Paul Chin they wanted. At least I rank higher than him in Google.
This is the photo in question. http://articles.sfgate.com/2010-07-05/entertainment/21938429_1_aikido-chorus-energy He actually spells his name with 2 'n's which I've never seen before.

The internet makes for some interesting scenarios.

Well are you going to license his photo? ;)

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

Paragon8 posted:

Well are you going to license his photo? ;)

I didn't realise you had a business degree?

nonanone posted:

I've recently got an iphone, and the discovery of the free light meter app has made my life infinitely easier. It works really well, I'm impressed! Any other must-have photo apps?

No way! When you say it works well, what kind of precision are we talking about? Because that sounds cool as hell.

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

I haven't tested it extensively or anything, but it matched the meter on my dslr for outdoor light, and then inside too. I mean, the camera on the phone itself has to be able to meter, so it makes sense that there must be some way to just grab that.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.
Can it do incident metering?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The math behind light metering is relatively simple, I would think it'd be just as useful on an iTouch as any other light meter.

The difference comes down to bells and whistles.. not sure how precisely an iTouch camera could do spot metering.

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

:trophystare:

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

I didn't realise you had a business degree?

No way! When you say it works well, what kind of precision are we talking about? Because that sounds cool as hell.

Doesn't matter how cool it is, you cannot have an iphone.

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

McMadCow posted:

Can it do incident metering?

Nope, although that would be awesome. It's not a complete replacement for a legit light meter, but it's perfect for if you're going on a film photo walk and you want to check your light conditions.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

Charmmi posted:

Doesn't matter how cool it is, you cannot have an iphone.

drat you meddling wife.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.
Whoa, poo poo just got real.

nonanone posted:

Nope, although that would be awesome. It's not a complete replacement for a legit light meter, but it's perfect for if you're going on a film photo walk and you want to check your light conditions.

A professor of mine once showed me a cool trick to turn the spot meter on an SLR into an incident meter. You take a styrofoam cup and put it over your lens. Point the cup at the light source (or however you like to meter with an incident) and you've got your incident reading. Turns out a styrofoam cup transmits 18% of the light that hits it! Wonder if that would work on an iPhone.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

McMadCow posted:

Whoa, poo poo just got real.

A professor of mine once showed me a cool trick to turn the spot meter on an SLR into an incident meter. You take a styrofoam cup and put it over your lens. Point the cup at the light source (or however you like to meter with an incident) and you've got your incident reading. Turns out a styrofoam cup transmits 18% of the light that hits it! Wonder if that would work on an iPhone.

Pringles lid also works.

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE
Dear Craigslists

Robert posted:

Canon EF 70-200mm F/2.8 L IS USM
Date: 2011-02-28, 11:11PM EST
Reply to: sale-bs2vx-2240334214@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

Hello Everyone.

My name Robert, I am a fashion photographer from Connecticut.

Well, I decided to post this tread because I realized that there is a good chance that here, I might find a fellow
photographer that might be interested on buying a brand new Canon EF 70-200mm F/2.8 L IS USM being sold for a great price.

I bought this lens not long ago, I mainly work in my studio and because this is a relatively long focal lens for studio use I decided to sell it because honestly I realized that I just I don't use it, it would be better then to sell it instead of having it here in storage.

If you are interested, send me a message here and I will be happy to give you more information about it.

For now I can say that I have the original Box and everything else that came with it, this lens it's in perfect condition I guarantee that you will not easily find another one like this.

I hope that someone that really want this lens come across this post, because I know that I can help somebody to get what they always wanted, and at the same time to be helped by that person in a matter to get some of my investment back.

God Bless you all.

Yours Truly,
Robert

onezero
Nov 20, 2003

veritas vos liberabit
ooo, the rare capitalized Box edition.

surgical scar
Nov 8, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
After spending a week with the s95, I'm strongly considering ditching my SLR gear in favor of a Fuji X100. I'm sort of in love with the idea of combining the X100 with Quadras for an ultraportable environmental portrait kit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
I lolled at the "...so we're going to use any Olympus DSLR!" fakeout towards the beginning of the iPhone photo shoot video.

nonanone posted:

Geotagging app (free or near free I think). I'd like to get an iPhone for that, the light meter app, and other apps I'm already using on my Touch. For now, beholden to Sprint :negative:

surgical scar posted:

After spending a week with the s95, I'm strongly considering ditching my SLR gear in favor of a Fuji X100. I'm sort of in love with the idea of combining the X100 with Quadras for an ultraportable environmental portrait kit

PIMM alt account found.