Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oben
Aug 7, 2004

Oh, the lights changed

Sudoku posted:

I'd like to request a little program to take a black-and-white image (as in, only those two colors), of any format you please, and output a .txt file of an ascii version of the image. White pixels are ., black pixels being a #.

Ideally I'd like it to be able to work with any dimension image. I've tried using web-based "image to ascii" things, but they tend to produce junk instead of a clean picture of just # and .

Doesn't need to be anything fancy, but doing this by hand sucks. Thanks.
This is mine:
http://ascgendotnet.jmsoftware.co.uk/download

Uncheck "Auto" and put #. in the ramp box.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dignity Van Houten
Jul 28, 2006

abcdefghijk
ELLAMENNO-P

I don't know if my request is easy, ambitious or even feasible.

I have a program that detects motion through a webcam. When it detects motion, it can send an e-mail, play a sound, or run an executable.

I want to set up a sting operation and catch a thief. Is it possible to code a program that, when run, sends a text message or places a phone call? Or even sends a tweet (that I would set up to receive as a text message)?

edit/ I just read this comment, "I use YAWCAM at my office and have the file output set to my Dropbox folder, so I can see any captured events on my home PC." Is there an option in Dropbox to notify a phone when any new images were added? Or a Dropbox option in the iPhone app that pops up with a message when new files are added?

I suppose I could set up push notifications with e-mail, but I've never had success in the past. If receiving an e-mail is the best option, someone tell me and I'll find a way to make it work.

edit2/ I found a way to make this work. With these directions I can hack and hobble something together to accomplish what I'm asking.

edit3/ I should have just researched this harder. I can have an e-mail sent to [number]@txt.att.net and I receive it as an SMS instantly. If anyone wants to use their webcam as a security camera, now you know how!

Dignity Van Houten fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Jan 5, 2011

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

if it sends email already almost all carriers support email-to-SMS. First google link http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/email-to-sms/

DLCinferno
Feb 22, 2003

Happy
Yawcam is old and crappy. You should be using iSpy, which is opensource, awesome, and frequently updated.

http://ispy.developerinabox.com/

Spoke Lee
Dec 31, 2004

chairizard lol
I have been having trouble lately using the arrow keys/wasd in some games to move around. I have a physical disability that makes it difficult and sometimes I just want a really simple way to move my character in RPG's. Probably my favorite way has been in BioWare's Aurora engine RPG's like NeverWinter nights, or The Witcher. You can control movement in the games by clicking and holding the left mouse button and then dragging the arrow in the direction you would like to go. Kind of like a virtual joystick that appears and sets sets its dead zone wherever you click and hold. There are some Nintendo DS games that control like this, like Dragon Quest IX.

To get to the point: I was wondering if it would be possible to make an auto hotkey script that would do the same thing? For instance when ever I left click and hold it activates, and from that point where ever I drag the mouse in relation to that point it will press the arrow key in that direction. Click and hold then drag up to the northern position, it will hold the arrow key up, diagonally down and to the right Southeast, it will press the down and right arrow.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

neurotech
Apr 22, 2004

Deep in my dreams and I still hear her callin'
If you're alone, I'll come home.

DLCinferno posted:

Yawcam is old and crappy. You should be using iSpy, which is opensource, awesome, and frequently updated.

http://ispy.developerinabox.com/

Does anyone know of something like this for OSX?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. Bertrand Russell

The Weird posted:

Does anyone know of something like this for OSX?

I'm not sure if it works with OS X, but look into zoneminder.

Pivotal Lever
Sep 9, 2003

Fermunky posted:

Cross posting this from another thread I made.

Need a smart folder organizer script/app specifically for my music

I'll spare you how I've gotten to this point, but here are some tid bits of what I have prior to asking my question... All my music files are named "Artist - Song.mp3" format. ALL ID3 info was wiped, and then updated with only the Artist and Song titles. Then iTunes was used (intentionally) to try and organize the files into folders (all songs were in a single folder). I was not aware iTunes would use a \Artist\Album\ folder structure, so now I have a zillion \Artist\Unknown Album\ folders...

I would like to use some sort of folder organizing script or app that will basically run through all my folders and anything under \Artist\Unknown Album\* moved to \Artist\*

I really do not care about having my album info in the ID3 tag, or being able to organize it by the album info. I know this may go against popular MP3 organizational methods, but I do not really share my stuff with anyone else, and do not use any MP3 player features like making playlists based on genre etc.

Thanks in advance for any info.
I needed some practice with the python os module, so here ya go.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/91352/movemp3s.py

Instructions:

1. get python 2.7
2. install python 2.7
3. save movemp3s.py in your root music dir. if c:\path\to\music\artist\unknown album is your directory structure, put it in music.
4. run the script by opening cmd and cd'ing to your music folder and then type 'python movemp3s.py'
5. done

I highly suggest creating a fake music directory with the same structure you described to test it out on before running it on your music collection. I tested it this way on my machine and it worked. PLEASE TEST IT OUT ON SOMETHING OTHER THAN YOUR MAIN MUSIC COLLECTION!!

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
I'd like to make a request for a simple app. I've attached a lovely picture to help explain it. On the left there'd be a collection of text boxes that I can type whatever I want in. On the right would be a submit button that would post it into whatever I currently have targeted. There would be a drop down to choose how many boxes to display(10 max is fine). I Would like it to have the possibility to be always on top. The more compact the better. If someone could do this I'd greatly appreciate it.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
BITCH!

huhu posted:

I'd like to make a request for a simple app. I've attached a lovely picture to help explain it. On the left there'd be a collection of text boxes that I can type whatever I want in. On the right would be a submit button that would post it into whatever I currently have targeted. There would be a drop down to choose how many boxes to display(10 max is fine). I Would like it to have the possibility to be always on top. The more compact the better. If someone could do this I'd greatly appreciate it.

um, what? is there just one submit button(like your description) or multiple(like your picture)? You want to post the contents of the text boxes? Like an HTTP POST? Or something else? Where do you want to post it to? Are you sure you've thought this through?

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

peepsalot posted:

um, what? is there just one submit button(like your description) or multiple(like your picture)? You want to post the contents of the text boxes? Like an HTTP POST? Or something else? Where do you want to post it to? Are you sure you've thought this through?

I think what he's describing is basically just a modifiable clipboard. Something to hold a bunch of text snippets, and when the associated button gets pressed, it pastes that snippet into whatever's active. That's how I read it, anyway.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006

Manky posted:

I think what he's describing is basically just a modifiable clipboard. Something to hold a bunch of text snippets, and when the associated button gets pressed, it pastes that snippet into whatever's active. That's how I read it, anyway.

Yeah that's what I'm looking for. I do video transcribing and a lot of the time they do the same shot over and over again and instead of having to retype the same thing over I'd just like to press a button and have it paste a sentence to Microsoft word.

Hoborg
Oct 19, 2006

by T. Mascis

huhu posted:

Yeah that's what I'm looking for. I do video transcribing and a lot of the time they do the same shot over and over again and instead of having to retype the same thing over I'd just like to press a button and have it paste a sentence to Microsoft word.

What you're looking for is a "clipboard ring" and there exist many such utilities, like this one: http://www.codeproject.com/KB/cs/ClipBoardRing.aspx

There's a download for the binary on there, so you don't have to built it from source.

mastermenthe
Jun 11, 2009
I have a request for a semi-automatic image file sorter. The basic premise is that you are able to go through a whole folder and tagging images for automatic transferal into different folders just with a tap of one key per image, and when all images have been tagged, you will be able to command to program to begin transfer of the images. The images below should give a good idea of what I'm aiming for with this program. Ideally I would love for this program to be able to preview and sort text, PDF, music and video files, but the rest is completely unnecessary.
The inspiration for this program would be the gigabytes of unsorted and non-renamed images sitting in only three or four different folders on my netbook.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. Bertrand Russell

mastermenthe posted:

I have a request for a semi-automatic image file sorter. The basic premise is that you are able to go through a whole folder and tagging images for automatic transferal into different folders just with a tap of one key per image, and when all images have been tagged, you will be able to command to program to begin transfer of the images. The images below should give a good idea of what I'm aiming for with this program. Ideally I would love for this program to be able to preview and sort text, PDF, music and video files, but the rest is completely unnecessary.
The inspiration for this program would be the gigabytes of unsorted and non-renamed images sitting in only three or four different folders on my netbook.

I can see this being useful, but it will be awhile before I have time to write it. If someone else wants to do it go ahead.

Any reason you would want it to wait till you've tagged all the images before transfer starts? On first thought, if I was writing this, I'd just have it start transferring images as soon as you clicked them. Maybe even set it up where you could set different keys/mouse buttons to target different destination folders...

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
I'd imagine it makes it easier to go back and change your mind, if one feels that's important.

Hoborg
Oct 19, 2006

by T. Mascis

mastermenthe posted:

Almost done.

Screenshot proof:

mastermenthe
Jun 11, 2009

Thermopyle posted:

I can see this being useful, but it will be awhile before I have time to write it. If someone else wants to do it go ahead.

Any reason you would want it to wait till you've tagged all the images before transfer starts? On first thought, if I was writing this, I'd just have it start transferring images as soon as you clicked them. Maybe even set it up where you could set different keys/mouse buttons to target different destination folders...

The idea is that you would be able to set hotkeys for each folder you would transfer too, so that rather than clicking and clicking and dragging and dragging, you need ony use the keyboard, forgoing the mouse entirely.

Hoborg
Oct 19, 2006

by T. Mascis

mastermenthe posted:

The idea is that you would be able to set hotkeys for each folder you would transfer too, so that rather than clicking and clicking and dragging and dragging, you need ony use the keyboard, forgoing the mouse entirely.

mmhmmm.

Here y'go.

Get the instructions by clicking "Help"

Download link:

Binaries: http://bit.ly/fb5rz2
C# Source: http://bit.ly/hlifTh

Errata:

Seeming as I finished this in 2 hours, 53 minutes I didn't put much effort into data validation and whatnot. If you enter an invalid path into a textbox and select it as the destination then it probably will crash. I did test it under normal conditions so as long as you play nice it will serve you well.

Hoborg fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Feb 28, 2011

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
I'm looking for a Windows app that will pick up on a "plugged in headphones" event from my sound codec's drivers (Realtek, for the record) and automatically change the system volume and (optionally) left-right balance. Since this involves cutting the volume by 4/5ths so I don't blow out my eardrums, it must be very reliable. Something like a soft warning tone which is at a comfortable hearing volume if the volume is too high would be nice, played for ~5 seconds.

Is this possible? Have I overlooked something that does this already?

Factory Factory fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Feb 28, 2011

HauntedRobot
Jun 22, 2002

an excellent mod
a simple map to my heart
now give me tilt shift
This is the Intel HEX format: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_hex

It's a simple ASCII file for specifying a block of memory, essentially.

Look at the colour coded "example" half way down that page. What I'm after is a simple app that will take in a file containing the blue "payload" section and spit out a properly formatted Intel HEX file. To run on a Windows command line. I'm basically too lazy to write this.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Something like this? (source)

Takes arbitrary data as input, emits I32HEX without byte swapping, and properly uses ELAR records when handling stuff larger than 64k. As far as I can tell it gets everything right, although I haven't tested it exhaustively.

Usage: hexify [from] [to]. If to is omitted, writes to stdout; if both are omitted, reads from stdin and writes to stdout.

To make it easy to use on windows, it's wrapped in a simple C program (source) that is statically linked against the lua interpreter. I may expand that into a proper packaging tool at some point.

E: also, something I thought of only after I wrote it - is the intended input meant to be binary data, or is it meant to be an existing hex dump that you just want to add the I32HEX decorations to? Because this program does the former. If you wanted the latter that's easy enough to do as well, though.

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Feb 28, 2011

HauntedRobot
Jun 22, 2002

an excellent mod
a simple map to my heart
now give me tilt shift
Just to take a hex dump, in lines of 32 characters, and add the decorations to it either side. I frequently have to dick about with eeprom dumps and recalculating the checksum by hand every time is a huge drag. Thanks for this. The best tool I have currently is one that says "hey your checksum is wrong on line 59" but doesn't tell you what it should be :bang:

vvv

Thanks again :)

HauntedRobot fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Mar 2, 2011

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Ok, this one should actually do the thing.

windows binary
lua source
wrapper source (now upgraded into a full-featured program)

Same command line signature as the last one.

Known issues: doesn't do any sort of input validation, if you feed it a file containing something other than a hex dump you will see something like this:

code:
embed#hexify.lua:25: attempt to perform arithmetic on a nil value
But as long as you stick to feeding it plain hex dumps with no extraneous fluff (comments etc) it should work fine.

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Mar 1, 2011

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
I'm looking for a Windows application that will randomly reorder the lines in a specified text file and save the resulting text to optionally either the original file or a new file. It'd be a bonus if it was possible to have it randomize "more" or "less" on a slider, kind of like how Winamp's shuffle function has the ability to choose tracks more in the order they exist in a playlist or more completely random.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

fishmech posted:

I'm looking for a Windows application that will randomly reorder the lines in a specified text file and save the resulting text to optionally either the original file or a new file. It'd be a bonus if it was possible to have it randomize "more" or "less" on a slider, kind of like how Winamp's shuffle function has the ability to choose tracks more in the order they exist in a playlist or more completely random.

Can it be command line?

How large are these text files?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Thermopyle posted:

Can it be command line?

How large are these text files?

Command line is fine, and the biggest I want to do is about 20 kilobytes in like 5000 lines.

Hoborg
Oct 19, 2006

by T. Mascis

fishmech posted:

Here y'go:

Here's a chart showing how different values of of d result in a distribution that closer resembles the original file.

(the trendlines show the distribution of data points, the closer it is to a gradient of 1.0 then the closer it matches the original file).

Here's the program source and compiled binary:

Binary: http://bit.ly/fSzynh
Source: http://bit.ly/ihhLxy

To run:

Double-click and it'll give you a File Open Dialog to choose the source file. After that it'll give you a Save File Dialog to choose where to save the file, you can overwrite the source file if you want or save to a new file. After that you'll be prompted for a floating-point number between 0 and 1.0 to choose the randomness. Choose 0 for a file that matches the original, 1.0 for a completely random file. For 'semi-random' choose something around 0.25.

It also had optional command-line arguments. You can specify either two or three arguments:

Hob.RandomReorderFile <sourceFileName> <destinationFileName> [randomness]

(where randomness is a floating point number from 0 to 1.0)

Enjoy.

(I'd appreciate any and all feedback).

Hoborg fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Mar 5, 2011

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Hoborg posted:

Here y'go:

Here's a chart showing how different values of of d result in a distribution that closer resembles the original file.

(the trendlines show the distribution of data points, the closer it is to a gradient of 1.0 then the closer it matches the original file).

Here's the program source and compiled binary:

Binary: http://bit.ly/fSzynh
Source: http://bit.ly/ihhLxy

To run:

Double-click and it'll give you a File Open Dialog to choose the source file. After that it'll give you a Save File Dialog to choose where to save the file, you can overwrite the source file if you want or save to a new file. After that you'll be prompted for a floating-point number between 0 and 1.0 to choose the randomness. Choose 0 for a file that matches the original, 1.0 for a completely random file. For 'semi-random' choose something around 0.25.

It also had optional command-line arguments. You can specify either two or three arguments:

Hob.RandomReorderFile <sourceFileName> <destinationFileName> [randomness]

(where randomness is a floating point number from 0 to 1.0)

Enjoy.

(I'd appreciate any and all feedback).

Oh sweet that works awesome! Thanks for the work man.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Hoborg posted:

Luckily, I didn't spend much time on mine. :/

Source and executable included.

rndfile infile [optional outfile]

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
So my case is that I have speakers hooked up to my computer, but because of their placement I have the L/R volumes in Windows set to different levels to provide even volume based on where I'm sitting. (usually 55L/90R)

However when I go to play a video game that requires use of a headset, I have to go into the sound properties and change the volume balance to one fitting for my headphones (90L/90R)

A tinyapp that I could use to change the balance without having to open the sound control panel would be incrediby useful.

Something like this perhaps:

I have no idea how complex this would be. But if it was possible to make it sit in the system tray, and when you right click got a menu with Load Profile 1/Load Profile 2/Exit would be neat too.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Something like that would also work for my request, so it's a double-important one. :colbert:

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

less than three posted:

So my case is that I have speakers hooked up to my computer, but because of their placement I have the L/R volumes in Windows set to different levels to provide even volume based on where I'm sitting. (usually 55L/90R)

However when I go to play a video game that requires use of a headset, I have to go into the sound properties and change the volume balance to one fitting for my headphones (90L/90R)

A tinyapp that I could use to change the balance without having to open the sound control panel would be incrediby useful.

Something like this perhaps:

I have no idea how complex this would be. But if it was possible to make it sit in the system tray, and when you right click got a menu with Load Profile 1/Load Profile 2/Exit would be neat too.

This sounds like a good feature addition to Soundswitch. I shall add it, but it will be a month before I can get to it.

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006
The Caps Lock key on my win7 laptop is on the fritz and is set to ON on bootup. I can toggle it back to OFF with an external keyboard or the on screen keyboard, but not with the laptop keyboard.

Can someone please make me a program that toggles the Caps Lock for me so I don't need to run the on screen keyboard after ever bootup? Thanks!

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

i81icu812 posted:

The Caps Lock key on my win7 laptop is on the fritz and is set to ON on bootup. I can toggle it back to OFF with an external keyboard or the on screen keyboard, but not with the laptop keyboard.

Can someone please make me a program that toggles the Caps Lock for me so I don't need to run the on screen keyboard after ever bootup? Thanks!

You want it to toggle, or specifically set to off?

edit: Hell, I just made it toggle. http://bit.ly/dOTRTX

Thermopyle fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Mar 17, 2011

DankTamagachi
Jan 20, 2005
Tamagachi to your throat!
I'd really appreciate a small app where I can set an input and an output and it would automatically replace the input with the output in every text box I select. The text boxes are in firefox.

Part of my job includes replacing a string of numbers with a different string of numbers in multiple text boxes on a site. This may be as many as 50-60 replacements at a time. Usually I go through and double click the string to highlight it and hit control+v to paste the new string over it but this a) takes too long and b) hurts my hand from having to stretch from control to v for extended periods of time.

What do you say, programming awesome-ers? Help a fellow out?

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

Thermopyle posted:

You want it to toggle, or specifically set to off?

edit: Hell, I just made it toggle. http://bit.ly/dOTRTX

Fantastic, thanks! Just need a quick fix for while I'm on vacation so this will do just fine.

Seven Round Things
Mar 22, 2010

DankTamagachi posted:

I'd really appreciate a small app where I can set an input and an output and it would automatically replace the input with the output in every text box I select. The text boxes are in firefox.

Part of my job includes replacing a string of numbers with a different string of numbers in multiple text boxes on a site. This may be as many as 50-60 replacements at a time. Usually I go through and double click the string to highlight it and hit control+v to paste the new string over it but this a) takes too long and b) hurts my hand from having to stretch from control to v for extended periods of time.

What do you say, programming awesome-ers? Help a fellow out?
So prompt for x and y, and for each input and textarea, if its value is x, replace with y? Here's a bookmarklet that will work in any browser (probably): http://pastehtml.com/view/1doatjf.html
(SA messes up javascript links for security reasons or I would post it in a code tag)

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

I'd like to request userscript or Chrome extension that would automatically load the story source of Gawker posts. In other words, I click on a Kotaku post in my reader with a blurb that ends with "From Maximum PC" or "Via Valve's Development Blog", with both of those being links to the source, and the extension automatically loads the source.

It seems possible (search for string "Via" or "from" followed by an hyperlink, load hyperlink).

Ideally I'd be able to add urls to whatever list and toggle it on/off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

The Aphasian posted:

I'd like to request userscript or Chrome extension that would automatically load the story source of Gawker posts. In other words, I click on a Kotaku post in my reader with a blurb that ends with "From Maximum PC" or "Via Valve's Development Blog", with both of those being links to the source, and the extension automatically loads the source.

It seems possible (search for string "Via" or "from" followed by an hyperlink, load hyperlink).

Ideally I'd be able to add urls to whatever list and toggle it on/off.

Do you want this because their RSS feeds never include the link to the source? That irritates the poo poo outta me.

• Locked thread