Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boywunda
Jun 25, 2003

For my Friday 5 (gateway theme), if I were to introduce someone to DnB, personally, I would start of with a couple remix tracks.

The Prodigy - Voodoo People (Pendulum Remix) - While Pendulum can be frowned upon, I find this is a pretty decent starter track for someone to get a feel for DnB.
The Fugees - Ready or Not (DJ Hype Remix) - This is one of the first ones I heard and at the time I had considered "The Fugees - The Score" as one of my all time favorite albums. To see Ready or Not Jungle remix, I fell in love some more.

Edit: Found one more remix that I fell in love with in 1999...
Swoosh and DJ Magic - Public Enemy Remix or this one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7ZSd2MEAz4&feature=related

Then I'd throw some catchy goodies at them.

Sub Focus - Airplane - This one actually did get a buddy of mine into DnB more.
High Contrast - Racing Green - Just plain awesome
Aphrodite - Man of Steel - Another early track that caught my attention when I was first getting into DnB.

As for albums, I'd suggest - Roni Size - Touching Down High Contrast - Tough Guys Don't Dance Andy C - Nightlife DJ Dara - Further Subfocus - Sub Focus

Boywunda fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Feb 25, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anae
Apr 23, 2008

Boywunda posted:

The Fugees - Ready or Not (DJ Hype Remix) - This is one of the first ones I heard and at the time I had considered "The Fugees - The Score" as one of my all time favorite albums. To see Ready or Not Jungle remix, I fell in love some more.

Actually this remix was by Zinc. Great tune!

SUBFRIES
Apr 10, 2008

Boywunda posted:

Aphrodite - Man of Steel - Another early track that caught my attention when I was first getting into DnB.

This was actually by the Vinyl Syndicate guys up in Toronto. One of the few jump-up tunes I still have on vinyl (I think I still have it?). I used to have that Fugees remix, the original pressing, although even that may have been a bootleg (stolen DAT?), but I foolishly sold it for $15 to someone in Germany years ago.

Great picks so far everyone, lets get a few more for the day.

Also, I almost posted the Commix LP and the Sub Focus LP. "Timewarp" is so sick, and I have friends that bug out about "Air Plane", will run around the dance floor with their arms out to the side trying to get me to play it. I honestly thought it was a Concord Dawn tune the first few times I heard it though.

Boywunda
Jun 25, 2003

SUBFRIES posted:

This was actually by the Vinyl Syndicate guys up in Toronto. One of the few jump-up tunes I still have on vinyl (I think I still have it?). I used to have that Fugees remix, the original pressing, although even that may have been a bootleg (stolen DAT?), but I foolishly sold it for $15 to someone in Germany years ago.

Up here in Winnipeg, MB, Canada, I first heard the Man of Steel track in a bar in 1999 (called U4ia), that typically focused a lot on Hard House/Hard Dance (during the Lock n Load, DJ Jean, Lisa Lashes, Hypertrophy, The Shrink, Darude, etc...) and they threw this it in the mix and I literally stopped mid sentence during a conversation with a buddy of mine to actually listen to it. Man...I miss that bar and those times.

SUBFRIES posted:

Also, I almost posted the Commix LP and the Sub Focus LP. "Timewarp" is so sick, and I have friends that bug out about "Air Plane", will run around the dance floor with their arms out to the side trying to get me to play it. I honestly thought it was a Concord Dawn tune the first few times I heard it though.

When I picked Airplane, I actually was gonna post X-Ray, cause I like it better, but then thought that since friends of mine liked it and it actually helped him get into the genre more, i decided to go with it.

chrix
Jan 3, 2004

Football man, the guy with the football plan

drat, I was hoping to have more time to dedicate to this today, but work got crazy and I'm half asleep from closing my residency last night, but here goes my Friday Five (gateway drug edition):

Mathematics - Funhouse
This one's got all the elements I'd want to showcase in terms of dnb. Extra bonus for the clever sampling.

S.P.Y. - By Your Side
Quite a moving track and brings out some of that "emotion" that I love about deep dnb.

Evol Intent - Flipside
This entire tune is a rush. If you've heard it live, you know why. This is about as dark as I'd want to get for a dnb introduction. Nice amen choppage, sub bass, eerie layered female vocals.

Shimon & Andy C - Night Flight
If I'm going to introduce someone to a genre that I feel so strongly about, it would be a crime not to introduce some classic "must-know" tracks. This is one. It summarizes how a dnb bassline should be along with a nice simple jungle beat. Classic, yet always appropriate. (it was either this or Adam F's Circles)

Roni Size Reprazent - Brown Paper Bag
Another classic, but in a different way. This track I feel contasts (in a good way) with Night Flight because you can hear the live bass. You can pretty much substitute this track for anything from New Forms

metalhead
Sep 13, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPoQsOBzlgQ

aww yeaaahhh

Dubplate Fire
Aug 1, 2010

:hfive: bruvs be4 luvs
Is Philly still the hypest city in the US for drum and bass? Is there even a scene on the east coast anymore?

zeldadude
Nov 24, 2004

OH SNAP!

chrix posted:

Evol Intent - Flipside
This entire tune is a rush. If you've heard it live, you know why. This is about as dark as I'd want to get for a dnb introduction. Nice amen choppage, sub bass, eerie layered female vocals.

Holy wicked. Siiiiick

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Dubplate Fire posted:

Is Philly still the hypest city in the US for drum and bass? Is there even a scene on the east coast anymore?

Konkrete Jungle in NYC is still weekly, but they're diversifying and it's on a monday.

Zahi
Jun 4, 2009

bent
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I10vFAf6WCA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUbryeS9Bwc

Also unrelated but I wish they'd put this guy into some tracks;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHCWr15q8tc&feature=related

Zahi fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Feb 27, 2011

beeps-a-palooza
Jan 2, 2009

by T. Finn

Dubplate Fire posted:

baltimore has some dnb events every month just about, but it's nowhere as big as it should be :smith:.

brostep is king

Auspex
Dec 21, 2005
Many Bothans died to bring us this information
The GRAM Agency Podcasts are always really good and a new one has just come out, this time mixed by Hybris. For me he's one of the most forward thinking producers in drum and bass at the moment, I highly recommend checking out his mix.

EMUpirate
Oct 30, 2002

Koo Koo Ka-Chaw Koo Koo Ka-Chaw
I missed that Friday thing or whatever but here are a few tracks that made me dig deeper in to the genre, got me hype overall, or just whatever.

Roni Size & Reprazent-Railing Part 2
I know some of you played Frequency back in the day on the PS2. How many of you remember almost breaking your controller because of this track? Fun tune, helped me in dnb production, and I still remember most of the words.

Makoto feat Cleveland Watkiss -Time
A great track overall! Great production, great vocals, I could pay this tune for hours. Check out the Kyoto Jazz Massive remix for another great take on this track. Guys into all this new Hospital stuff, take a listen.

Commix ft. Steve Spacek - How You Gonna Feel I absolutely love Steve Spacek's vocals, top it off with Commix and you've got a winning combination every time. As a bonus, we can assume this track directly influenced Africa Hitech - How Does It Make U Feel (Mark Pritchard and Steve Spacek)

Technical Itch - The Rukus
Essential dark dnb tune. Not much more to say about this tune other than it's required reading for anyone who treads into the darker side of dnb, or someone who got into it dark dnb through Limewax.

Concord Dawn-Say Your Words
Some of you might disagree with me on this one, that's fine. This was the last track on Chaos By Design, which was actually a pretty good album. Nice little calm ending track, then goes and does some Messiah poo poo into this nasty amen assault. Very unexpected, got me quite excited. Afterword: I went to my first dnb rave with John B because I knew he was going to play Morning Light. I think either later that year or the next year I went to my first REAL rave and met chrisx and a few other random goons.

Kemal & Dom - Moulin Rouge
Dark, atmospheric, gritty bassline, choppy amens. Just listen.

Just a few I could think of without getting too PYF'y. Making this list was fun as heck because I love these tunes. Lots of great lists, tried to not re-post anything.

Edit: Oops, Posted 6. Oh well.

SUBFRIES
Apr 10, 2008

EMUpirate posted:

Chaos By Design, which was actually a pretty good album.

My favorite Concord Dawn album, mainly for "Say Your Words", "Broken Eyes", "Fly Away Home" and "Man For All Seasons".

And that Commix track is one of my all time favorites. The remixes just did not grab the feeling & emotion like the original did.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
Nu:Tone's new album, Words And Pictures, is out. If you enjoy mediocre Hospital pop fodder combined with generic dnb sensibilities then it's the album for you. Just as an example here's System VIP (which happens to be one of the better tracks on the album).

EMUpirate
Oct 30, 2002

Koo Koo Ka-Chaw Koo Koo Ka-Chaw

HJB posted:

Nu:Tone's new album, Words And Pictures, is out. If you enjoy mediocre Hospital pop fodder combined with generic dnb sensibilities then it's the album for you. Just as an example here's System VIP (which happens to be one of the better tracks on the album).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDlPVnEG9fs The real System VIP. I heard a piece of one of the tracks that sounded alright, I'll have to check out some more youtube rips or something to see for myself.

Subfries, I like that How you Gonna Feel Pangea remix for late night driving, and the other one is a fairly playable Deep House track. Doesn't really work in the car or in the house, but played out early in the night it's a nice chill track. I wasn't really feeling the rest of the remix album though.

Anae
Apr 23, 2008

HJB posted:

Not a personal attack on you, but I'm tired of people labeling anything released on Hospital, or anything with a vocal for that matter, as 'sell-out', 'mainstream' etc. It's closed-minded in a very sad way. Nu:tone is an excellent producer, and as soon as it was announced that his album would have vocals on every track, I knew that people would label it as 'cheese' because that's the automatic reaction for a d&b head. And this is speaking as someone whose favourite producers are Rockwell, dBridge, Icicle etc.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

The thing is, mainstream dnb is cheesy to a degree, because if it wasn't then it wouldn't sell (gone are the days of Timeless and New Forms). Put another way, I can't stand the artists you mentioned simply because they make pure dnb for the "heads". It's not closed-mindedness as much as the fact that that's how it is.

Hospital are a business first, a dnb label second.

zeldadude
Nov 24, 2004

OH SNAP!

EMUpirate posted:

Makoto feat Cleveland Watkiss -Time
A great track overall! Great production, great vocals, I could pay this tune for hours. Check out the Kyoto Jazz Massive remix for another great take on this track. Guys into all this new Hospital stuff, take a listen.

This is a really nice tune, can't believe I hadn't heard this before. Thanks for this.

Regarding Nu:tone, he's definitely got some dank production skills. His masters are some of the most clean I've heard. I still like the Unicorn Kid remix he did :shobon:

Dubplate Fire
Aug 1, 2010

:hfive: bruvs be4 luvs

HJB posted:

The thing is, mainstream dnb is cheesy to a degree, because if it wasn't then it wouldn't sell (gone are the days of Timeless and New Forms). Put another way, I can't stand the artists you mentioned simply because they make pure dnb for the "heads". It's not closed-mindedness as much as the fact that that's how it is.

So you don't like the music for the "heads" and only like the cheese? not trying to make fun of you, just trying to understand.

Anae
Apr 23, 2008

HJB posted:

I'm confused. You don't like 'mediocore Hospital pop fodder', but you have the Hospital logo as your avatar, and you also don't like 'pure dnb for the "heads"'. I'm lost.

Dr. Goonstein
May 31, 2008

Anae posted:

Not a personal attack on you, but I'm tired of people labeling anything released on Hospital, or anything with a vocal for that matter, as 'sell-out', 'mainstream' etc. It's closed-minded in a very sad way. Nu:tone is an excellent producer, and as soon as it was announced that his album would have vocals on every track, I knew that people would label it as 'cheese' because that's the automatic reaction for a d&b head. And this is speaking as someone whose favourite producers are Rockwell, dBridge, Icicle etc.

Not to attack you either, but the same thoughts were running through my mind. I am not really into the "pure dnb" stuff. Perhaps in time, but I'm still young into dnb. God forbid a label try to put out music that people want to listen to that aren't into the pure stuff.

I don't know a whole lot about record sales and all that jazz - not claiming to. But I will say that I know very few drum and bass artists probably make a comfortable living. I also have no doubt that 90% of these artists are just fine with it - they do it for the music. But to say somebody "sold out" just to make a living doing what they love - producing music - is kind of a bunch of poo poo. The most wealthy dnb artist doesn't come close to the most poor pop/hip hop artist on the radio today.

As for the album itself, I picked it up today and am pretty impressed so far with my first listen through. I am unfamiliar with Nu:Tone, but i have heard a couple of his songs on UKF and whatnot. The Feeling in particular is a pretty great track. JB posted it earlier and mistakenly labeled it as "System VIP." Definitely worth a listen.

beeps-a-palooza
Jan 2, 2009

by T. Finn
is anyone here from los angeles? if so, what do you know about bell ringer records?

Anae
Apr 23, 2008

Dr. Goonstein posted:

Not to attack you either, but the same thoughts were running through my mind. I am not really into the "pure dnb" stuff. Perhaps in time, but I'm still young into dnb. God forbid a label try to put out music that people want to listen to that aren't into the pure stuff.

I don't know a whole lot about record sales and all that jazz - not claiming to. But I will say that I know very few drum and bass artists probably make a comfortable living. I also have no doubt that 90% of these artists are just fine with it - they do it for the music. But to say somebody "sold out" just to make a living doing what they love - producing music - is kind of a bunch of poo poo. The most wealthy dnb artist doesn't come close to the most poor pop/hip hop artist on the radio today.

As for the album itself, I picked it up today and am pretty impressed so far with my first listen through. I am unfamiliar with Nu:Tone, but i have heard a couple of his songs on UKF and whatnot. The Feeling in particular is a pretty great track. JB posted it earlier and mistakenly labeled it as "System VIP." Definitely worth a listen.

Just checking you didn't misunderstand me...I pretty much agree with everything you said. It just saddens me that most people who are as into d&b as I am tend to be very closed-minded about anything remotely accessible. As a dj, it's a fantastic feeling playing experimental/unusual stuff to a crowd of heads and having them COMPLETELY get it and love it, but it's also fantastic playing accessible stuff to a crowd of people who know nothing about the music but what they do know is that it's making them dance a lot.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

Dubplate Fire posted:

So you don't like the music for the "heads" and only like the cheese? not trying to make fun of you, just trying to understand.
Essentially, yes. Don't worry, I'm used to the hate.

Anae posted:

I'm confused. You don't like 'mediocore Hospital pop fodder', but you have the Hospital logo as your avatar, and you also don't like 'pure dnb for the "heads"'. I'm lost.

Correct, I like good Hospital pop fodder. :eng101:

Dr. Goonstein posted:

The Feeling in particular is a pretty great track. JB posted it earlier and mistakenly labeled it as "System VIP." Definitely worth a listen.
I was being facetious. You have to admit they do sound similar though.

Anae
Apr 23, 2008

HJB posted:

Correct, I like good Hospital pop fodder. :eng101:

What counts as good Hospital pop fodder in your opinion?

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

I think it might be wise for me to change the subject at this point. Here, have a free tune courtesy of The Burbs.

VVV No, I just thought it had gone on for too long, it's too subjective.

HJB fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Mar 1, 2011

Anae
Apr 23, 2008

HJB posted:

I think it might be wise for me to change the subject at this point. Here, have a free tune courtesy of The Burbs.

Ah. I hope I didn't come across as having a go at you. Was just interested.

chrix
Jan 3, 2004

Football man, the guy with the football plan

I don't normally post recordings of my radio show, but this one got a lot of great feedback, so I decided to go ahead and upload it.

This was recorded during my radio show on Boost.FM from 2-23-11. My radio show, "Introspection" broadcasts live from my home in Indianapolis, IN every Wednesday @ 9pm ET.

stream: http://i.mixcloud.com/CRreY
download: http://www.boost.fm/dj-mixes/drum-and-bass/introspection/2379.html (reg'd required to download)

tracklist:

Q Project - Jungle Is Dead
Wilkinson - Moonwalker
Commix - Talk to Frank (Break remix)
Spectrasoul - Absentis
Octane & DLR - Seven
Logistics - Juno Six
>>> radio chatter
Jubei - Outcast
Ill Skillz & Logistics - Gridline
Cyantific - Ghetto Blaster
Culture Shock - Cathedral
Concord Dawn - Morning Light
Logistics - Alive
Aphrodite - Listen to the Rhythm
Danny Byrd - Red Mist VIP (Part 2)
Sigma - Stronger
Tyke - The Music Makers VIP
S.P.Y. - Legacy
Zero T & Ulterior Motive - Breach
Noisia & Phace - Floating Zero
>>> shoutouts
Hybris - Loaded

Zahi
Jun 4, 2009

bent
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRDLQsCjOmY

Yo.

zeldadude
Nov 24, 2004

OH SNAP!
Oh my.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_4T7jLi3eo
Smote - Born To My Soul

Tune.

edit: soooo many good songs have dropped lately, it owns

zeldadude fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Mar 3, 2011

Riot.EXE
Oct 11, 2007
Let's do another theme for tomorrow. Pick a D&B producer and post what you think their 5 best tracks are.

I'm pickin' Evol Intent. (Remixes that your producer of choice has done are allowed.)

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I'll go with High Contrast. Y'all already know he's my favorite producer, so it's kind of the logical choice.

I already have an idea of which 5 I'm going to post, too.

zeldadude
Nov 24, 2004

OH SNAP!
Tough decision, I'm having a hard time deciding between Logistics and Grafix....

Dibs on both until I decide tomorrow, unless somebody else wants to do either, in which case feel free!

Also, everybody listen to the song I posted a few posts ago. Some of the best amazing chill dnb I've heard, with lush chords, amazing vocals and a warm bassline. Give it a listen and give a holla if you like it, more people need to hear this song!

zeldadude fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Mar 3, 2011

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

zeldadude posted:

Also, everybody listen to the song I posted a few posts ago. Some of the best amazing chill dnb I've heard, with lush chords, amazing vocals and a warm bassline. Give it a listen and give a holla if you like it, more people need to hear this song!

I always love hearing ambient-ish D&B like this. Thanks so much for posting it :)

Riot.EXE
Oct 11, 2007
Oh yeah, whether or not that list is ranked is entirely up to you. Mine won't be, I know that much.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

I'll do Mistabishi, partly because I love his tunes, partly because his new album is due to come out the following Monday.

Auspex
Dec 21, 2005
Many Bothans died to bring us this information
I'm gonna go with Break I think!

Anae
Apr 23, 2008
I'll take on Photek. I'm not gonna stick to just his d&b stuff though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SUBFRIES
Apr 10, 2008

I'll take on Decoder.

I would pick Culture Shock, I love his work, but he's only got about ten tracks out.