Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

Cinderella posted:

I'm really starting to get into movies from the 70's or early 80's right now, especially British films. I really enjoy stuff like Tommy and Clockwork Orange- weird stuff is welcome. I also really like things like Bladerunner and the like as well - I'm not really into CG-saturated SF movies at the moment. Anything I should look into? .
Well if you liked Tommy, definitely check out Quadrophenia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT
I love Big Trouble in Little China a LOT. I love the irreverence, and also the concept of a secret underground network of bad guys doing bad poo poo.

Rubies
Dec 30, 2005

Live Forever
Die Every Day

:h: :s: :d: :c:

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I'm not sure, but you might like Lost in Translation, Garden State, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Adaptation, or Wristcutters: A Love Story.

Thanks for the recommendations. Lost in Translation is a good one, the other ones are kinda over the top emotional. I guess I was looking for more listless than sad. The Man who Wasn't there is another one I thought of. I'm not really looking to watch them myself, I'm just wondering if these sorts of characters are classified in any way.

ps thanks cody I'll check those out.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Cinderella posted:

I'm really starting to get into movies from the 70's or early 80's right now, especially British films. I really enjoy stuff like Tommy and Clockwork Orange- weird stuff is welcome.
You should watch 1973's O Lucky Man as soon as possible.
Stardust (1974)
Withnail and I (1986)
And for weird stuff check out Lair Of The White Worm.

trashcanman
May 17, 2006
honkey

John Q Russia posted:

Thanks for the recommendations. Lost in Translation is a good one, the other ones are kinda over the top emotional. I guess I was looking for more listless than sad. The Man who Wasn't there is another one I thought of. I'm not really looking to watch them myself, I'm just wondering if these sorts of characters are classified in any way.

ps thanks cody I'll check those out.

Check out "Mr. Nobody" with Jared Leto pretty sure it fits the bill. "The American" with George Clooney might be another one if you like that "weary of life" type of character.

trashcanman fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Feb 27, 2011

Mouser..
Apr 1, 2010

codyclarke posted:

My request:

I love cheesy american martial-arts action movies starring people that aren't big names, but have pretty good fights in them. Two of my favorites in this regard are Excessive Force w/ Thomas Ian Griffith and Bloodsport 2 w/ Daniel Bernhardt. Any recommendations along these lines would be much appreciated.

No Retreat, No Surrender fits the bill of cheesy American martial arts movie with surprisingly good fights. (Jean-Claude Van Damme is the top billed person in the movie now but he was still an unknown when this movie was made and he is the Ivan Drago knockoff villain. So it still fills your requests for non-big name people as the main stars.)

Cinderella
Feb 7, 2007

Schweinhund posted:

Well if you liked Tommy, definitely check out Quadrophenia.

I haven't seen that one in years. I really need to check it out again. :)

Binary Logic posted:

You should watch 1973's O Lucky Man as soon as possible.
Stardust (1974)
Withnail and I (1986)
And for weird stuff check out Lair Of The White Worm.

I really want to see O Lucky Man but it isn't out on DVD here, but my mom said she'll send it to me.

I really haven't heard of the last 2 movies, so I'll be sure to look into that. Thanks.

Starscream
Aug 17, 2000

the Bunt posted:

I love Big Trouble in Little China a LOT. I love the irreverence, and also the concept of a secret underground network of bad guys doing bad poo poo.

The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension will be right up your alley.

Strontosaurus
Sep 11, 2001

What are some good movies about deep space/water and the madness that afflicts people there? Stuff like Sphere, Abyss, Pandorum, and Event Horizon. Obviously more horror-type stuff. I just watched Outland with Sean Connery and it started off with some space madness but then kind of devolved to a detective story in space.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Strontosaurus posted:

What are some good movies about deep space/water and the madness that afflicts people there? Stuff like Sphere, Abyss, Pandorum, and Event Horizon. Obviously more horror-type stuff. I just watched Outland with Sean Connery and it started off with some space madness but then kind of devolved to a detective story in space.
Silent Running
Moon

and it's terrible but for the sake of watching more in this sub-genre you could check out Kirk Douglas, Harvey Keitel and Farah Fawcett Major in Saturn 3.

Cinderella posted:

I really want to see O Lucky Man but it isn't out on DVD here...
That is a crime against moviedom.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Feb 28, 2011

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

b0nes posted:

OK, I wasn't sure if I needed my own thread, but basically i want the poo poo scared out of me. I can't tell you why, but basically scary movies do next to nothing for me. it's always been like that. I thought Nightmare on Elm Street was a comedy when I was young. Chucky did nothing for me. Honestly in my lifetime I haven't seen anything that really " disturbed" me except The Human Centipede, which really got to me. My best friends girlfriend recommended I watch Midnight meat Train, which is on it's way via netflix.

Jacob's Ladder. I'll also recommend Audition, as it's the only movie that's ever kept me from sleeping, but it's efficacy was based on factors that may or may not apply to you. I'll also say not to look up or read anything about Audition beforehand as it is most effective going in not knowing anything about it.

These Loving Eyes
Jun 6, 2009
I'm currently reading Pirsig's Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance in which four people are traveling from Minnesota to California on motorcycles in the mid-70s. So I began wondering if there are any great (road) movies that use some small American towns, dusty motels, backroads and wide open prairies as their backdrops. I'm also interested in something like Into the Wild in which the protagonist travels across the country meeting random people. Guess I'm searching for some sort of drifter movies. V:shobon:V

Movies that have captured some of that feel (and of which almost every single one was recommended here, so thanks for that):
Easy Rider
No Country for Old Men
Five Easy Pieces
Vanishing Point (the original one)
Identity (bad movie, great setting)

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

These Loving Eyes posted:

I'm currently reading Pirsig's Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance in which four people are traveling from Minnesota to California on motorcycles in the mid-70s. So I began wondering if there are any great (road) movies that use some small American towns, dusty motels, backroads and wide open prairies as their backdrops. I'm also interested in something like Into the Wild in which the protagonist travels across the country meeting random people. Guess I'm searching for some sort of drifter movies. V:shobon:V

Movies that have captured some of that feel (and of which almost every single one was recommended here, so thanks for that):
Easy Rider
No Country for Old Men
Five Easy Pieces

It's been a few years since I've seen it, but I loved Wim Wenders' Alice In The Cities. Your description made me think of it. It's from the same era as Easy Rider and Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, and it has a guy drifting through small-town America and then European cities.

If someone else has seen this more recently and doesn't think it would be a good fit, feel free to say so. Wenders' Paris, Texas also has some great dusty rambling.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Easy Rider
No Country for Old Men
Five Easy Pieces

My Own Private Idaho is one of my favorite "traveling drifter" movies ever. If you enjoyed the existential aspects of Easy Rider, then you will love Two-Lane Blacktop, which takes that existentialism and commits to it a far greater degree.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Strontosaurus posted:

Sunshine. Makes a great triple-feature with Event Horizon and Pandorum.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Easy Rider
No Country for Old Men
Five Easy Pieces

These might work for you:

Badlands
Leningrad Cowboys Go America
They Live By Night
Two-Lane Blacktop

Aorist
Apr 25, 2006

Denham's does it!
That sounds like a exact description of Bonnie and Clyde.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT

regulargonzalez posted:

Jacob's Ladder. I'll also recommend Audition, as it's the only movie that's ever kept me from sleeping, but it's efficacy was based on factors that may or may not apply to you. I'll also say not to look up or read anything about Audition beforehand as it is most effective going in not knowing anything about it.

Good luck with that. The DVD cover and menu give way too much information away. It's nearly impossible to go into that film blind.

csidle
Jul 31, 2007

the Bunt posted:

Good luck with that. The DVD cover and menu give way too much information away. It's nearly impossible to go into that film blind.
Yeah, I just watched it about 3 hours ago, and 10 minutes in I looked at the DVD cover (I hadn't really checked it out before then) and the movie was pretty much spoilt. Not that there was a big twist or anything, but...

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

So, where should I start with:

Aki Kaurismaki: Haven't seen any of his films, leaning towards The Man Without a Past.

Susanne Bier: Haven't seen any of her films, leaning towards After the Wedding.

Hal Hartly: Haven't seen any of his films, leaning towards Trust.

John Sayles: Have seen Lone Star and Eight Men Out, but Lone Star was a long time ago and I feel I'm missing a lot with him. Leaning towards Matewan.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Voodoofly posted:

Aki Kaurismaki: Haven't seen any of his films, leaning towards The Man Without a Past.

Pretty much anywhere is fine. TMWaP will do. My intro was The Match Factory Girl, and I was hooked immediately.

Voodoofly posted:

John Sayles: Have seen Lone Star and Eight Men Out, but Lone Star was a long time ago and I feel I'm missing a lot with him. Leaning towards Matewan.

Go with Matewan.

Starscream
Aug 17, 2000

Voodoofly posted:

My first was Leningrad Cowboys Go America, which was an absolute blast. It's a lot more upbeat than most of his other works but that weird Finnish humor is there all the way through.

I still have yet to explore the Eclipse set I bought ages ago... :/

cthulusnewzulubbq
Jan 26, 2009

I saw something
NASTY
in the woodshed.

Cinderella posted:

I'm really starting to get into movies from the 70's or early 80's right now, especially British films. I really enjoy stuff like Tommy and Clockwork Orange- weird stuff is welcome. I also really like things like Bladerunner and the like as well - I'm not really into CG-saturated SF movies at the moment. Anything I should look into? .

If you want some science fiction you could try Westworld(1973) or Brazil(1985). Solaris might be worth a try, although I haven't seen it myself.

Also, The Lair of the White Worm(1988) is a funky British horror flick.

cthulusnewzulubbq fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Mar 3, 2011

Jadz
Jan 8, 2004

Stuck in the middle with you.
^^^^^^LOVE Westworld! Yule Brenner was CREEPY.

InfiniteZero posted:

Well, if you enjoyed Commando, you might also like Arnold's other 80s action films like Raw Deal, Red Heat, or Total Recall. Not Arnold, but in the same vein, I might also recommend Cobra (Stallone) and Bloodsport (Van Damme).

If you want to see just really "bad" action films from that period, there's always Andy Sidaris films too, like Hard Ticket to Hawaii and Malibu Express.

I know I'm a little late on this, but if you're taking on the task of catching up on bad (read: awesome) 80's/90's action movies, you need to watch:
Tango & Cash
Escape From New York
Big Trouble in Little China
(Seriously, Kurt Russell was THE MAN back in the day)
The original three Rambo movies (First Blood, First Blood: Part II and Rambo III)
Beverly Hills Cop (Just the original, Eddie Murphy used to be really funny)
Under Siege (Steven Segal takes over a battleship)
The first two Lethal Weapon movies if you haven't seen them. You can take or leave the latter two in the series as you want, but the first two were great.
The first three Die Hard movies if you haven't seen them. Again, the last in the series is hit or miss, depending on how much you love Bruce Willis, and whether you can turn your brain off.
Time Cop is one of my all-time favorite Jean-Claude Van Damme movies.
Demolition Man is one of my all-time favorite Stallone movies.

And finally, for a full hour-and-a-half of Arnie goodness, including stereotypical terrorists, ridiculous action and awesome one-liners, you need to watch True Lies if you havne't.

edit: For even more goofy Arnie awesomeness, watch Last Action Hero. It's a little more "family friendly" than the other stuff, but awesome nonetheless.

Jadz fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Mar 3, 2011

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

My class is working with groups of Chinese students for a class project, and somebody suggested that we should watch a Chinese movie that's part of the country's pop culture. Are there any movies like this on Netflix Instant?

Elijya
May 11, 2005

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.

Y-Hat posted:

My class is working with groups of Chinese students for a class project, and somebody suggested that we should watch a Chinese movie that's part of the country's pop culture. Are there any movies like this on Netflix Instant?

Heh, how about Hero?

I'm actually scanning Box Office mojo for the Chinese box office results for you, though I don't know how much will be on netflix instant. BOM has limited info and only gives the #1 films for each week, most of which are American films. But as far as domestic chinese films that took #1 that I'm familiar with, I'm seeing

Curse of the Golden Flower
Lust, Caution
Assembly
CJ7

CJ7 is a kids film by Stephen Chow, same guy who did Kung Fu Hustle and Shaolin Soccer, both also good, popular films. As far as other Chinese/Hong Kong stars, most anything starring Jet Li, Jackie Chan or Chow Yun Fat might be appropriate.

But almost none of those are on instant. Here's the Netflix category for Cantonese language films. You can go into sortable view and arrange them by rating if you want to avoid R-rated films
http://movies.netflix.com/Genre?vt=tg&sgid=2548&pn=1

e: oh, and here's mandarin language films
http://movies.netflix.com/SubGenre?sgid=2566&pgid=2620

Since so little is on instant, you'll have a much wider selection if you have a DVD sent to you.

Elijya fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Mar 3, 2011

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I would love for you to have those kids watch Come Drink With Me.

JR ANTI SEX LEAGUE
Jul 9, 2010

John Q Russia posted:

Like when poo poo sucks when you break up with someone and you go through the motions and it's not super dramatic or overly sad, but there's like that scared weight on you. Suppression of feelings is a part of it too, as well as being lost in thought.

Like I said, very hard to explain for me but I've seen it used many times. Is there a more accurate term for it for people that write movies? If anyone knows what I mean, can you recommend some movies with people like that? Thanks.

I think "Solitary Man" might have the attitude you're describing. More the suppression of feelings (sometimes through being a complete rear end in a top hat) than any overt sadness, but I think it deals with the sort of feelings you're talking about.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Elijya posted:

Since so little is on instant, you'll have a much wider selection if you have a DVD sent to you.
We're planning on watching one this Sunday and I have something like 8 movies in my queue, so it kinda has to be instant. Of the ones you listed, Lust, Caution is available, so I'll pitch the idea to one of my classmates.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I would love for you to have those kids watch Come Drink With Me.
This is a grad school class and I'm a student in it :ssh:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Y-Hat posted:

This is a grad school class and I'm a student in it :ssh:

Even better.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP
I really liked Breathless but I wasn't into Pierrot le Fou or Band of Outsiders. Those are the only three Godard movies I've seen. Are there others I might enjoy?

csidle
Jul 31, 2007

I'm looking for some movies that focus on the media coverage aspect of the Vietnam war. I am pretty much stumped -- I don't remember what the second half of Full Metal Jacket is about at all, strangely -- does the lead become a war reporter? I seem to have that impression of it.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

csidle posted:

I'm looking for some movies that focus on the media coverage aspect of the Vietnam war. I am pretty much stumped -- I don't remember what the second half of Full Metal Jacket is about at all, strangely -- does the lead become a war reporter? I seem to have that impression of it.

Yes, he does.

You should check out The Killing Fields.

Drewsky
Dec 29, 2010

Jadz posted:

Cheesy action movie recommendations
I've seen most of these, and actually enjoy them. They're actually good action movies. But Commando was just insane, and I was looking for more stuff like that. Just stupid as all hell action movies.

I know Lethal Weapon and Die Hard are silly in their own right, but none of these have a dude frisbeeing a sawblade and slicing off the top of a guys head. Or claiming he can smell people downwind. Having said that though I'll definitely be checking out the ones I haven't seen.

Starscream
Aug 17, 2000

Drewsky posted:

I've seen most of these, and actually enjoy them. They're actually good action movies. But Commando was just insane, and I was looking for more stuff like that. Just stupid as all hell action movies.

There was something about 1985 that caused all the epic one-man-army action movies to be produced. Arnie's Commando is the most famous, but I'm also a big fan of Charlie Bronson's Death Wish 3, in which he takes on an entire L.A. gang! And If you like the idea of Chuck Norris in a denim tuxedo sporting Uzi's akimbo than you NEED to see Invasion U.S.A. Rambo 2 deserves a mention as well as a stupid as hell action movie.

Another good one, though hard to find, is Rutger Hauer in Salute of the Jugger (aka The Blood of Heroes) in which he and his team wander the post-apocalypse engaging locals in a violent and bloody sport resembling football, but with weapons!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

FitFortDanga posted:

Yes, he does.

You should check out The Killing Fields.

Although it should be noted that this film is about Cambodia and not Vietnam, it's still a good recommendation.

CyrusThe
Apr 21, 2004
Gimme suicide rock'n'roll

csidle posted:

Are there any movies that deal with the same subjects as The Truman Show? Something along the lines of the absurdity of modern-day reality-tv culture, or something along those lines. Furthermore, any movies that deal with the subject of surveillance, like Das Liebe der Anderen would be appreciated.

You might also enjoy the german movie Das Millionenspiel from 1970. The main character participates in a game show in which he's being chased by three killers and if he survives for seven days he gets one million Deutsche Mark. The whole thing is filmed like a reality show and a lot of people watching the movie thought that it was real and they called the tv station to complain about the shows contents. Others asked if they could be the next contestant.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I have always heard of that movie and have never even come close to finding a legit copy.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

codyclarke posted:

I really liked Breathless but I wasn't into Pierrot le Fou or Band of Outsiders. Those are the only three Godard movies I've seen. Are there others I might enjoy?

Band of Outsiders and Pierrot are pretty different, this might be easier if you said what you liked or disliked. If you didn't like Pierrot I'd say everything he made since then is out since they only get less and less coherent from there. I'd say Contempt, Vivre sa Vie and A Woman is a Woman are the safest bets, but if you didn't like Band of Outsiders I dunno.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gringo Heisenberg
May 30, 2009

:dukedog:

Drewsky posted:

I know Lethal Weapon and Die Hard are silly in their own right, but none of these have a dude frisbeeing a sawblade and slicing off the top of a guys head. Or claiming he can smell people downwind. Having said that though I'll definitely be checking out the ones I haven't seen.

If you want awesome over the top action, have you seen Shoot em Up?

• Locked thread