Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

Zaodai posted:

Well, if nothing else we took out one Space Mexican and a few women and children.

Rock on, Death Commandos. You may live up to your reputation yet. :china:

I still have faith. The tides of battle may have turned against them, but I believe in the Commando's ability to make the foe pay. That SRM Carrier shall carry the day!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

KnoxZone posted:

I still have faith. The tides of battle may have turned against them, but I believe in the Commando's ability to make the foe pay. That SRM Carrier shall carry the day!

Bunnyofdoom's ever increasing justice kick list:
Slaan
Zaodai
KnoxZone

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

KnoxZone posted:

It probably would have, before someone pointed out what it could do to buildings and the like. :( I believe in the Commandos ability to make the enemy pay too, but it is an LP at heart, so I doubt PTN has anything too dickish planned to screw over the players.

(But I'm still rooting for that to happen. Muwahahahaha.)

[EDIT]

bunnyofdoom posted:

Slaan
Zaodai
KnoxZone

By all means, kick away BoD. I'll be easy to find, just look for the hostage building that has your womenfolk screaming my name coming from it. =P I'm a master of interfaction relations.

Zaodai fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Feb 28, 2011

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

bunnyofdoom posted:

Then I'll provide cover by punting the APC. Also, will laser it too.
Pick your position carefully. Combat is simultaneous, so make sure you're not turning your back on the Zhukov. Your Lancelot is speedy enough that it can move adjacent to the APC while still facing the tank, and all those trees should keep the 'mechs off our backs for the time being.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Remember that my rear end armour is stronger than my front or side armour atm.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

bunnyofdoom posted:

Slaan
Zaodai
KnoxZone

Who is the true coward? Those who kill non-combatants (though La Dama's mouth should count as a WMD), or those who left them to die in the first place? :china:

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Slaan posted:

Who is the true coward? Those who kill non-combatants (though La Dama's mouth should count as a WMD), or those who left them to die in the first place? :china:

Why don't you put your big talk in a Mech seat, huh? :clint:

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Slaan posted:

Aesop's Fables posted:

A trumpeter, bravely leading on the soldiers, was captured by the enemy. He cried out to his captors, "Pray spare me, and do not take my life without cause or without inquiry. I have not slain a single man of your troop. I have no arms, and carry nothing but this one brass trumpet." "That is the very reason for which you should be put to death," they said; "for, while you do not fight yourself, your trumpet stirs all the others to battle."
Don't sell yourself short. :colbert:

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Aesop had clearly never seen the damage a man could do with a brass trumpet.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

I would have rooted for the Space Chinese before this round, but now my heart just isn't in it. Normally, I would be all on top of Space Chinese kicking the crap out of Space Mexicans, but after all that happened this round, I just can't.

Maybe if the next scenario is more Space Mexicans versus Space Chinese, I'll unfurl my :china:, depending on the mission, but not right now.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Dolash posted:

Aesop had clearly never seen the damage a man could do with a brass trumpet.

Or a microphone.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

Polaron posted:

Why don't you put your big talk in a Mech seat, huh? :clint:

I am in full agreement with him, and this is coming from someone who already piloted a mech. As someone who stood my ground for three turns trading fire with a mech bigger than me, I find y'all to be a bunch of spineless cowards! You still have some armor left! Charge the enemy in a most glorious fashion and save the hostages!

GhostStalker posted:

I would have rooted for the Space Chinese before this round, but now my heart just isn't in it. Normally, I would be all on top of Space Chinese kicking the crap out of Space Mexicans, but after all that happened this round, I just can't.

Maybe if the next scenario is more Space Mexicans versus Space Chinese, I'll unfurl my :china:, depending on the mission, but not right now.

Next scenario is against the clans. I will accept no debate in this.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
^^^^ I agree. You going to dick about with tactics, or are you going to stop them from murdering your children?

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

Tempest_56 posted:

Also, you would be standing still on top of a hill range 7 from the Vindicator and Blackjack AND range 1 from the Zhukov that still has two functional AC10s. They will shoot you full of many many holes.

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Pick your position carefully. Combat is simultaneous, so make sure you're not turning your back on the Zhukov. Your Lancelot is speedy enough that it can move adjacent to the APC while still facing the tank, and all those trees should keep the 'mechs off our backs for the time being.

While this is good tactical advice, the Zhukov has suffered an Engine Hit critical, which locks the turret facing. It last fired at Engine Joe, and as such the turret faces 'SE'. Unless PTN has instituted a house rule about mechanical turret backups, that is, which is reasonable.

I do not remember the CF of the building the SRM Carrier is behind, but blowing it to rubble might not be crazy.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

The Merry Marauder posted:

I do not remember the CF of the building the SRM Carrier is behind, but blowing it to rubble might not be crazy.

Light building, so it could be as high as 15CF. If the bastard doesn't come out next turn, it's a very real possibility for us to try.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Tempest_56 posted:

Light building, so it could be as high as 15CF. If the bastard doesn't come out next turn, it's a very real possibility for us to try.

Or rush him with Skinwalker or Sir gently caress You and commence Operation Curbstomp. Good maneuvering means you can enter its hex and be safe from 60 SRM to the face. 12 armor all-around and no turret, so kicking is going to hurt this little bugger pretty darn fast.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Magni posted:

Or rush him with Skinwalker or Sir gently caress You and commence Operation Curbstomp. Good maneuvering means you can enter its hex and be safe from 60 SRM to the face. 12 armor all-around and no turret, so kicking is going to hurt this little bugger pretty darn fast.

The real trouble is what happens at middle to long range. The SRM carrier is undoubtedly going to fire at any target it can aim for, and with so many SRM's it basically can't miss. It's dead if we get a 'mech on top of it, but the real trouble is making sure the 'mech isn't dead first. I think me and Bunny will have to rush it from different directions simultaneously if we're going to have a chance.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

The real trouble is what happens at middle to long range. The SRM carrier is undoubtedly going to fire at any target it can aim for, and with so many SRM's it basically can't miss. It's dead if we get a 'mech on top of it, but the real trouble is making sure the 'mech isn't dead first. I think me and Bunny will have to rush it from different directions simultaneously if we're going to have a chance.

You could just shoot it from 10 hexes or more. Large lasers are good for this.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Fraction Jackson posted:

You could just shoot it from 10 hexes or more. Large lasers are good for this.

Of which we have five! And a PPC! And a pair of AC5s!

...Yeah, seriously, we have absolutely no reason at all to close with the SRM Carrier at this point. If it comes out from behind that building, we can pretty much obliterate it in a single turn of fire from beyond it's engagement range.

LeschNyhan
Sep 2, 2006

Tempest_56 posted:

Of which we have five! And a PPC! And a pair of AC5s!

...Yeah, seriously, we have absolutely no reason at all to close with the SRM Carrier at this point. If it comes out from behind that building, we can pretty much obliterate it in a single turn of fire from beyond it's engagement range.

PTN has actually got a decent setup there. It's not optimal now, with the loss of the Warhammer, but that SRM carrier is going to force the Caballeros pilots to keep honest and out of the minimal range for the Vindicator. This is especially problematic for the Hunchback, since it can't use the big gun at that range and risks a whole barrage of SRMs to the face if he closes to use it.

Knocking out the building would definitely help, but it still has buildings with hostages in them to hide behind.

So pretty much, yeah, it's going to be a snipe-fest unless someone feels ballsy. I think you guys have this under pretty good control though, you do now have the weight of long-range firepower.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

KnoxZone posted:

I am in full agreement with him, and this is coming from someone who already piloted a mech. As someone who stood my ground for three turns trading fire with a mech bigger than me, I find y'all to be a bunch of spineless cowards! You still have some armor left! Charge the enemy in a most glorious fashion and save the hostages!

Next scenario is against the clans. I will accept no debate in this.

Join me, then, in championing the cause of Caesar Steiner and the 2nd Donegal Guard. The Unwearied Second shall carry the Rightful Archon to deliver a message to the whole of the Sphere with a victory. With solidarity, we shall triumph, for it is together... TOGETHER, that we prevail!

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

Defiance Industries posted:

Join me, then, in championing the cause of Caesar Steiner and the 2nd Donegal Guard. The Unwearied Second shall carry the Rightful Archon to deliver a message to the whole of the Sphere with a victory. With solidarity, we shall triumph, for it is together... TOGETHER, that we prevail!

The 2nd Donegal sounds like a fine choice. You can probably count on my support in this matter. Assuming of course they haven't already driven the Clans back to Strana Mechty while we were playing around in this fight against the Commandos.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
BunnyOfDoom, your inbox is full.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

It's cleaned out now.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
How much pilot damage did Engine Joe actually take BTW? I know at least one for the head-hit that damaged the Life Support, and two more for the high heat that turn and then one again from the last salvo of SRM fire, but after that?

MJ12 posted:

But on a related note, IIRC the relative intel rankings went like...
You forgot the Wolf's Dragoons internal intel gathering services. They were pretty much ROM's bane for the 45 years before they came clean.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

For what it's worth, the Wolf's Dragoons don't exist in PTN's LP alternate Clan Invasion timeline.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
That's fair, but in the "real" timeline the 7th Kommando kicked ROM's rear end repeatedly, in ever-increasingly subtle ways.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Well they were protagonists even more then the FedSuns.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Wait, against? Why would you ever want to fight on any side but for the awesome Jade Falcon clan?

Why can't those guys be protagonists for once? (Aside from that making it too easy for most match-ups. Unless you heavily crippled their forces due to a botched drop or something) .

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

You wouldn't need to have a botched drop, you could just have a hot-headed commander issue an over-ambitious batchal. "A Comstar Hyperpulse Generator, huh? Yeah, a single Binary can capture that!" :v:

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Arquinsiel posted:

How much pilot damage did Engine Joe actually take BTW? I know at least one for the head-hit that damaged the Life Support, and two more for the high heat that turn and then one again from the last salvo of SRM fire, but after that?

One of the infantry SRMs hit the head and destroyed the last 2 points of internal structure. That's an automatic pilot kill (unless you're using ejection rules I guess, but the fluff updates indicate he didn't eject).

Usual Barb
Aug 27, 2005

pop it and lock it

WarLocke posted:

One of the infantry SRMs hit the head and destroyed the last 2 points of internal structure. That's an automatic pilot kill (unless you're using ejection rules I guess, but the fluff updates indicate he didn't eject).
I think head destruction is an automatic pilot kill, same with a cockpit TAC (which I'm pretty sure is the pilot himself getting hit by the weapon). Ejection only applies to CT destruction or weapon/ammo explosions.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

WarLocke posted:

This is one of the points I find an interesting disconnect between fluff and gameplay. Under the fluff, a single Battlemech is often a centuries-old treasure, passed down through the generations. Pilots are frequent casualties, often dying in brutal battle but people will go to extreme lengths to rebuild a downed mech. In gameplay, it's extremely unlikely to kill a pilot (headkill, cockpit TAC or 6 pilot damage being the only ways), but you can render a mech destroyed and unsalvagable really, really easily. Particularly in 3025 play, where destroying the CT is about the only reliable way to put a mech down.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Tempest_56 posted:

This is one of the points I find an interesting disconnect between fluff and gameplay. Under the fluff, a single Battlemech is often a centuries-old treasure, passed down through the generations. Pilots are frequent casualties, often dying in brutal battle but people will go to extreme lengths to rebuild a downed mech. In gameplay, it's extremely unlikely to kill a pilot (headkill, cockpit TAC or 6 pilot damage being the only ways), but you can render a mech destroyed and unsalvagable really, really easily. Particularly in 3025 play, where destroying the CT is about the only reliable way to put a mech down.

I think it's because the fluff kind of assumes that once your mech is all shot to poo poo you'll withdraw (or surrender if you lost a leg or whatever) but in practice people just keep fighting until their ride gets shot out from under them.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

evilmiera posted:

Wait, against? Why would you ever want to fight on any side but for the awesome Jade Falcon clan?

Why can't those guys be protagonists for once? (Aside from that making it too easy for most match-ups. Unless you heavily crippled their forces due to a botched drop or something) .

Well, the Clans are devoid of redeeming qualities, that's the main hurdle.

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

WarLocke posted:

I think it's because the fluff kind of assumes that once your mech is all shot to poo poo you'll withdraw (or surrender if you lost a leg or whatever) but in practice people just keep fighting until their ride gets shot out from under them.

When playing in a real campaign there are rules for when you should be retreating. Self preservation is also important if your future missions actually depend on what kind of losses you take or if you care about your pilots. None of this really applies in the current format since we're getting snapshots of the universe.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Well they've got genetic superiority as a redeeming quality. Nothing bad ever comes from claiming genetics as an advantage over your opposition.

Oh, right. :hitler:

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

That doesn't stop people from wanting to play as the Death Commandos! :china:

At any rate, depending on where PTN takes the thread it could be interesting to play as the invaders for a mission, if nothing else but to see how the thread would react to having to follow Clan rules of engagement, and (ER lasers? Targeting Computers).

Octatonic fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Feb 28, 2011

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Octatonic posted:

That doesn't stop people from wanting to play as the Death Commandos! :china:

At any rate, depending on where PTN takes the thread it could be interesting to play as the invaders for a mission, if nothing else but to see how the thread would react to having to follow Clan rules of engagement, and (ER lasers? Targeting Computers).

Yeah, but at least the Death Commandos know that they're villains.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

WarLocke posted:

I was more wondering how hot he was running and if the pilot was dead before the SRMs hit.

• Locked thread