Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

From what I see from these HTPC builds people keep posting, they don't include cooling fans: is that because they don't need them or because the fans already come in the case, or what?

Edit: also, are there any Micro-ATX compatible capture cards that do HD?

Edit 2: One more question, assuming I'm not afraid of assembling computers by myself, is there any particular reason to buy an Acer Revo over just building my own? Both price-wise and spec-wise, I realy don't see any.

My case came with one, not all will, but even then, they are all of 8 bucks (for a really nice one.)

As for the Acer Revo, it's smaller, takes less power, (especially if you're thinking micro-atx,) looks pretty, and is supported with a warranty and tech support. Probably much quieter as well (but can't confirm from personal experience.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

I picked up a mce remote to use with my htpc. I have a harmony remote and I use XBMC. The media center remote works fine in XBMC but I'm having a hell of a time getting the harmony setup correctly and I know I've done this before but can't remember how I programmer the remote. Any help?

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

mattfl posted:

I picked up a mce remote to use with my htpc. I have a harmony remote and I use XBMC. The media center remote works fine in XBMC but I'm having a hell of a time getting the harmony setup correctly and I know I've done this before but can't remember how I programmer the remote. Any help?

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?t=77519

I bought a revo 3610 because I also wanted internet access and Windows since it's more user (wife) friendly.

The loudest noise it makes is the "beep" when it Posts after power on. I can't hear the fan at all unless I put my ear right up to it.

The only thing I don't like about it is that it can't use a 5Ghz wirelss channel so I have to run a wire (cat 6) to my router in order to stream HD. Later Revos may have this but I don\t know for sure.

Quarantini
Aug 9, 2010
So I need some input, my old htpc that was cobbled together from old parts finally died. I am very interested in a boxee, but am not sure if it will give me the flexibility that a true geek needs. I can build a very capable HTPC for about $250 (gonna reuse old hard drive, optical, etc). My question is a boxee hack-friendly? I can't imagine having my "media machine" not being able to run sabnzbd or a torrent client.

Realthing02
Nov 1, 2005
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
I've been reading up on these forums as well as avsforums for most pointers, and I think this build is a solid one, but I'm just looking for any gotchya's or input from you guys before I go ahead and order it. I don't have any spare parts as this if my first build, so i have to get everything, unfortuantely:

* hec Black 0.7mm Thickness SECC Steel 7K09BBA30FNRX Micro ATX Media Center 300W Power
* GIGABYTE GA-H55M-USB3 LGA 1156 Intel H55 HDMI USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
* Intel Core i3-550 Clarkdale 3.2GHz LGA 1156 73W Dual-Core Desktop Processor BX80616I3550
* G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Dual Channel Kit Desktop
* Western Digital Caviar Green WD10EARS 1TB 5400 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -
* LG Black Blu-ray Disc Combo SATA Model UH10LS20 LightScribe Support - OEM

I'm looking to use this as mostly a movie/music platform and plan to throw XBMC on it. I don't have a separate server (hence the 1TB drive) and will only do small rom type gaming if at all. No recording of TV, but i'll be ripping a fair amound of DVD and bluray to disk.

Any thoughts/advice are appreciated.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Quarantini posted:

So I need some input, my old htpc that was cobbled together from old parts finally died. I am very interested in a boxee, but am not sure if it will give me the flexibility that a true geek needs. I can build a very capable HTPC for about $250 (gonna reuse old hard drive, optical, etc). My question is a boxee hack-friendly? I can't imagine having my "media machine" not being able to run sabnzbd or a torrent client.

XMBC is what you may want. Boxee is based on it and as far as I know, there are more people developing custom add ones for XBMC since it's open source.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Bonzo posted:

XMBC is what you may want. Boxee is based on it and as far as I know, there are more people developing custom add ones for XBMC since it's open source.

He's talking about the funny shaped Boxee appliance built by D-Link. I think that thing was too little, too late. $100 more towards a low-power HTPC is a pretty smart decision, especially with the way content providers want to limit internet content to dedicated set-tops. As long as Hulu is computer-accessible, I can get it on my HTPC.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

eddiewalker posted:

He's talking about the funny shaped Boxee appliance built by D-Link. I think that thing was too little, too late. $100 more towards a low-power HTPC is a pretty smart decision, especially with the way content providers want to limit internet content to dedicated set-tops. As long as Hulu is computer-accessible, I can get it on my HTPC.

Ahh ok. It seems that there is some info on hacking the box itself.

http://boxeeboxwiki.org/wiki/Main_Page

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

Realthing02 posted:

No recording of TV, but i'll be ripping a fair amound of DVD and bluray to disk.

If you're ripping Blu-Rays, try to do a rudimentary calculation how much disk space you need with the settings you're using. They take a surprising amount of disk space.

Realthing02
Nov 1, 2005
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Hob_Gadling posted:

If you're ripping Blu-Rays, try to do a rudimentary calculation how much disk space you need with the settings you're using. They take a surprising amount of disk space.

Thanks, I actually started doing that just after I posted, but had planned on building a home server to stream the movies a some point in the future. The 1TB might be upgraded to something bigger now, because I'm not sure when that project will be done.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
So I'm pretty much about to pull the trigger on a Revo 3700 and I just wanted to ask first if there's any talk about it getting a refresh in the next month or so. I'm not asking for some magic future prediction, just if there's any news about it that I wouldn't have picked up since I don't follow these kinds of things.

Kruzen
Sep 3, 2003

I need to engage in homicidal behaviour on a massive scale. It can not be corrected but I have no other way to fulfill my needs.
I'm trying to put something together that will do:

-linux support (for sickbeard and sabnzb)
-xbmc support
-1080p playback
-true dolby digital 7.1 (or whatever the current awesomness is)
-QAM tuner recording
-ir remote support
-Bluray ISO or mkv playing
-widespread codec support
-passive cooling

I seem to keep seeing a lot of issues with linux and 1080p support, etc.. So where is the happy medium?

Basically I need something that will do everything I can currently do with my cable box, plus HTPC duties, and simple enough for my wife to understand it.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Kruzen posted:

I'm trying to put something together that will do:

-linux support (for sickbeard and sabnzb)
-xbmc support
-1080p playback
-true dolby digital 7.1 (or whatever the current awesomness is)
-QAM tuner recording
-ir remote support
-Bluray ISO or mkv playing
-widespread codec support
-passive cooling

I seem to keep seeing a lot of issues with linux and 1080p support, etc.. So where is the happy medium?

Basically I need something that will do everything I can currently do with my cable box, plus HTPC duties, and simple enough for my wife to understand it.

Do you want linux just for sabnzb and sickbeard? Windows is perfectly capable of doing those, and is much better than linux at doing blu-ray stuff.

Lilleput
Jul 22, 2006

I was going to build a HTPC but saw a story on the Xtreamer Ultra on engadget, i have never heard of this company before but the Ultra seems like a really good deal (It should retail for around $300) I can't see myself building something similar for less.

Do anyone have any experience with this company, and does the Ultra seem like a good XBMC / Windows 7 box?

http://www.xtreamer.net/Ultra/

Edit: Does anyone make a dual tuner DVB-C USB dongle?

Lilleput fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Mar 2, 2011

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

So I'm pretty much about to pull the trigger on a Revo 3700 and I just wanted to ask first if there's any talk about it getting a refresh in the next month or so. I'm not asking for some magic future prediction, just if there's any news about it that I wouldn't have picked up since I don't follow these kinds of things.

Even if a newer model comes out you'll still have all you would ever need (unless you plan on using it for gaming).

I have a 3610 and have zero issues streaming HD from my network drives or over the web.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

eddiewalker posted:

As someone who doesn't use Hulu, only wanted to play local content off my storage server with the occasional online streaming, didn't want to gently caress with hardware, codecs, software setup, remote setup, application customization and scripting, talking the wife through troubleshooting when i'm away, and wanted it to just loving work, the Boxee Box was a far superior choice than any sort of HTPC. It's definitely not too little, too late, as everywhere that I've seen them sold, they're sold out. Every firmware revision has gotten better and better, and with Netflix and Vudu along with local content, is likely a better choice for people who are tired of dealing with stupid computer bullshit just to watch a movie.

A full-on HTPC has its place for those people that want the extra power and flexibility that a full-on PC gives you, as does the Boxee Box or any other media playing set top box. Enjoy Hulu on your tv, i'll enjoy my ease of use. :)

devmd01 fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Mar 2, 2011

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
I think the perpetual fuss over "but does it play Hulu?" that gets thrown at every media box to come out is ridiculous. Considering its genesis as a joint venture between rival media conglomerates, Comcast's purchase of NBCUniversal, the app-driven nature of streaming devices (both set-top and portable), and the "gently caress this" attitude people rightfully have toward its pay service, I don't think Hulu is long for this world. The networks are going to go back to running their own portals and putting out Android/GoogleTV and iOS/AppleTV apps (and Roku apps and plugins for bluray players and TVs).

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

TheScott2K posted:

I think the perpetual fuss over "but does it play Hulu?" that gets thrown at every media box to come out is ridiculous. Considering its genesis as a joint venture between rival media conglomerates, Comcast's purchase of NBCUniversal, the app-driven nature of streaming devices (both set-top and portable), and the "gently caress this" attitude people rightfully have toward its pay service, I don't think Hulu is long for this world. The networks are going to go back to running their own portals and putting out Android/GoogleTV and iOS/AppleTV apps (and Roku apps and plugins for bluray players and TVs).

The point is that content providers have set a precedent for restricting devices marketed for couch use, and even changing the rules later.

Youtube even blocks a lot of videos from playing in licensed, but non-computer clients. For example, try playing any of the good VEVO concert videos from a Boxee box, WDTV, Wii, etc.

eddiewalker fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Mar 2, 2011

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

I agree. I'm an XBMC user and with the add ons, there is so much content I can access that I can barely keep up. I've been without cable for almost a year and I don't miss it at all. I don't even use OTA for anything other than local news/background noise.

If you hunt around you'll see that you can basically get any show on demand and it's very user friendly.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Bonzo posted:

I agree. I'm an XBMC user and with the add ons, there is so much content I can access that I can barely keep up. I've been without cable for almost a year and I don't miss it at all. I don't even use OTA for anything other than local news/background noise.

If you hunt around you'll see that you can basically get any show on demand and it's very user friendly.

The point here is whether dedicated appliance devices are worth compared to paying a little more to use a real PC.

A lot of those XBMC jump through hoops to circumvent access restrictions. Again with Hulu, but the Hulu XBMC plugin devs have been playing cat-and-mouse to keep it working for a while.

A mainstream appliance device maker needs permission to have a Hulu or whatever plugin, especially since they want content logos to put on the packaging. That means D-Link, WD, etc could be subject to more rules and restrictions.

GigaFool
Oct 22, 2001

I think Media Extenders (Boxee Box, WDLivePlus, etc.) and HTPCs both have a place, often in the same house.

My HTPC is powerful enough to be a server, so it is. It also runs MediaPortal and HuluDesktop. But I also want to be able to access my media from the bedroom. Would it make sense to build another HTPC? Not IMO. I would rather go with a WDLivePlus or Boxee Box, because it doesn't need to be on all the time or physically store any media, and the price point makes a lot more sense.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

This stupid poo poo with Hulu is one of the main things that drove me into setting up SickBeard+Usenet.

Automatically downloads TV shows in much higher quality than you could possibly get on Hulu and seamlessly integrates into XBMC.

I would love to loving pay someone legit for high quality access to all television content, but no one will take my loving money for this.

Just irritating...

Kruzen
Sep 3, 2003

I need to engage in homicidal behaviour on a massive scale. It can not be corrected but I have no other way to fulfill my needs.

spidoman posted:

Do you want linux just for sabnzb and sickbeard? Windows is perfectly capable of doing those, and is much better than linux at doing blu-ray stuff.

That, and for reliability.

I guess windows 7 is stable enough. Just trying to make it wife proof.

There's so many chipset options and such lately. So trying to find everything that will stuff into a small box and do all of these things has been frustrating.

My wife is cool with me killing cable (and we need to @ $85 a month. gently caress you comcast). She just wants to be able to do most of the things she already does.

I'd like to have the option of DVR'ing stuff off of the QAM tuner but the most important part is XMBC and being able to play 1080p/720p content and handle a bluray drive or iso

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Kruzen posted:

That, and for reliability.

I guess windows 7 is stable enough. Just trying to make it wife proof.

There's so many chipset options and such lately. So trying to find everything that will stuff into a small box and do all of these things has been frustrating.

My wife is cool with me killing cable (and we need to @ $85 a month. gently caress you comcast). She just wants to be able to do most of the things she already does.

I'd like to have the option of DVR'ing stuff off of the QAM tuner but the most important part is XMBC and being able to play 1080p/720p content and handle a bluray drive or iso

You want Windows 7. It will be more wife-proof, more able to DVR, and better at bluray.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Thermopyle posted:

This stupid poo poo with Hulu is one of the main things that drove me into setting up SickBeard+Usenet.

Automatically downloads TV shows in much higher quality than you could possibly get on Hulu and seamlessly integrates into XBMC.

I would love to loving pay someone legit for high quality access to all television content, but no one will take my loving money for this.

Just irritating...

What are you trying to watch that isn't on iTunes? You know they make a $100 box that plays all their content a la carte and streams Netflix, right?

Or would you still just rather keep pirating?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

TheScott2K posted:

What are you trying to watch that isn't on iTunes? You know they make a $100 box that plays all their content a la carte and streams Netflix, right?

Or would you still just rather keep pirating?
A large portion of my shows aren't on iTunes last I checked, and even if that wasn't an issue I'd still have to break the DRM to play on all my devices. Given that downloading Tv shows hasnt been shown to be illegal, especially since if I really wanted I could rip everything from my Dish Network feed, I think I've chosen the moral high ground here.

But I think you could figure most of that out, right? (see, I can do passive aggression too)

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Thermopyle posted:

Given that downloading Tv shows hasnt been shown to be illegal

Do you live on Sealand or something?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Thermopyle posted:

A large portion of my shows aren't on iTunes last I checked, and even if that wasn't an issue I'd still have to break the DRM to play on all my devices. Given that downloading Tv shows hasnt been shown to be illegal, especially since if I really wanted I could rip everything from my Dish Network feed, I think I've chosen the moral high ground here.

But I think you could figure most of that out, right? (see, I can do passive aggression too)

Oh yeah, those copyright things don't do anything and you never hear anything about copyright owners trying to protect it or anything. Nope.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
What do goons like for combo keyboards/mice? I keep trying to find one where the THIS IS GREAT OMG reviews don't have so many "no reception past two feet" reviews to push them out.

Bluetooth would be great so I could use it for other devices but I don't mind RF or proprietary connections.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

IUG posted:

Oh yeah, those copyright things don't do anything and you never hear anything about copyright owners trying to protect it or anything. Nope.
That doesn't prove its illegal. I know of no court cases trying the legality of downloading TV shows, which is a completely different beast than movies.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Thermopyle posted:

That doesn't prove its illegal. I know of no court cases trying the legality of downloading TV shows, which is a completely different beast than movies.

I'm just quoting this because it's so loving stupid. "I didn't know it was illegal to murder someone in North Dakota because I haven't heard of any of these court cases".

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

IUG posted:

I'm just quoting this because it's so loving stupid. "I didn't know it was illegal to murder someone in North Dakota because I haven't heard of any of these court cases".

No, that's not what I'm saying at all.

I'm saying there isn't any court cases, and in fact lots of legal opinions saying that there is a huge difference between downloading a movie and downloading a tv show.

Quit being obtuse.

edit: There is also a huge difference between criminal law and civil law. You example is the stupid one.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

nm

Bonzo fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Mar 3, 2011

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

MJP posted:

What do goons like for combo keyboards/mice? I keep trying to find one where the THIS IS GREAT OMG reviews don't have so many "no reception past two feet" reviews to push them out.

Bluetooth would be great so I could use it for other devices but I don't mind RF or proprietary connections.

I got this HP Keyboard/Trackball mouse when it was on sale for $40 a few months back. I like it, it's nice and small, just needs a good line of sight to the dongle if there's too much interference though.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Thermopyle posted:

No, that's not what I'm saying at all.

I'm saying there isn't any court cases, and in fact lots of legal opinions saying that there is a huge difference between downloading a movie and downloading a tv show.

Quit being obtuse.

edit: There is also a huge difference between criminal law and civil law. You example is the stupid one.

Please produce one of these legal opinions.

Both TV shows and movies are copyrighted video content that you didn't pay for. You don't have some inherent right to all the TV you want, you either pay for it directly (iTunes, DVDs) or indirectly (sit through ads), neither of which happens when you get it from Usenet. Unless you're British and it's the BBC in which case get the loving iPlayer already.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Lilleput posted:

I was going to build a HTPC but saw a story on the Xtreamer Ultra on engadget, i have never heard of this company before but the Ultra seems like a really good deal (It should retail for around $300) I can't see myself building something similar for less.

Do anyone have any experience with this company, and does the Ultra seem like a good XBMC / Windows 7 box?

http://www.xtreamer.net/Ultra/

Edit: Does anyone make a dual tuner DVB-C USB dongle?

This actually looks really cool. Any idea when it's coming out?

Lilleput
Jul 22, 2006

This actually looks really cool. Any idea when it's coming out?

Early April.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

BorderPatrol posted:

I got this HP Keyboard/Trackball mouse when it was on sale for $40 a few months back. I like it, it's nice and small, just needs a good line of sight to the dongle if there's too much interference though.

Herm, I was hoping to store the box in a closet, but I'm guessing even BT would have trouble going through wood and then ten feet of air.

Then again, I could always just get a USB extension cable and run it under the door.

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Thermopyle posted:

Just irritating...

The problem I had with Hulu was technical. I couldn't get it to play content without stuttering. It wasn't a network issue, I think it was a problem with Flash or something. I never figured it out.

What annoys me about the TV market right now is that it is split all over the place. iTunes, Hulu, Netflix, channel websites, cable only, etc. I wish there was a TV service like Rhapsody's "To Go" music offering for TV. I really don't care that much about DRM on content that I'm probably only going to watch once anyways, as long as it works on a wide number of devices, is reasonably priced, has a comprehensive selection, and lets me download/stream as much of it as I want.

There is someone who will take your money for it, though, which is the cable or dish company. It is just incredibly overpriced, full of advertisements, and a limited selection of older content.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

TheScott2K posted:

Please produce one of these legal opinions.

Both TV shows and movies are copyrighted video content that you didn't pay for. You don't have some inherent right to all the TV you want, you either pay for it directly (iTunes, DVDs) or indirectly (sit through ads), neither of which happens when you get it from Usenet. Unless you're British and it's the BBC in which case get the loving iPlayer already.

You can Google just as well as I can (hint, look through Techdirt and Groklaw which is where I've been reading about this stuff for years), and I'm not going through the effort since the legality thing is tangential to my main point. To clarify, I'm not saying that it is legal, only that it's not necessarily illegal or an enforcable law, and that it's definitely a gray area ... especially for someone who already has access to all the same content like I do. I have an active subscription to Dish Network (which specifically lets me skip over commercials, BTW) and Netflix. I can watch all TV shows I download in a slightly more inconvenient manner. Hell, even if it WAS specifically illegal, I feel like I would still have the moral high ground...the law isn't the arbiter of morality.

cornface posted:

The problem I had with Hulu was technical. I couldn't get it to play content without stuttering. It wasn't a network issue, I think it was a problem with Flash or something. I never figured it out.

What annoys me about the TV market right now is that it is split all over the place. iTunes, Hulu, Netflix, channel websites, cable only, etc. I wish there was a TV service like Rhapsody's "To Go" music offering for TV. I really don't care that much about DRM on content that I'm probably only going to watch once anyways, as long as it works on a wide number of devices, is reasonably priced, has a comprehensive selection, and lets me download/stream as much of it as I want.

There is someone who will take your money for it, though, which is the cable or dish company. It is just incredibly overpriced, full of advertisements, and a limited selection of older content.

I don't specifically care about DRM as long as it doesn't restrict me from doing what a reasonable person would expect to be able to do with a downloaded file. Like, as you mention, play on several different devices.

My problem with Hulu is a technical one as well. Because of their chosen delivery system, it doesn't integrate with my chosen HTPC interface, nor is it available on any of my portable devices.

I would gladly give Hulu (or anyone) the $150+ a month I pay to Dish and Netflix, if they would expand their content selection and allow me access to high-quality files that I could play on all the devices I own.

Thermopyle fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Mar 3, 2011