Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Just about any band would be happy with photos like that. If I have any beefs, it's that I would like to see a tad more light on the shadow areas of the subjects faces and the lead singer needs more back and rim light since she's disappearing into the background a little. I like the simple background. It matches well with the band's attire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oprah Haza
Jan 25, 2008
That's my purse! I don't know you!

Cyberbob posted:

Ended up doing a shoot for my friends band.

I did it for free,

Super simple set up.

I think that it was worth it to add the first pic to your port. I would suggest that next time you take the time to move the lights for their shots, the last two it really shows that you kind of just stood them there. If you're gonna do it, have some fun with it!

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Cyberbob posted:

Band pictures.

I really like the lighting and the colors a lot, but this is impression I get from each photo:

1 - Yeah, I know I'm working it. (good)
2 - My parents dragged me to get family photos, but this is all they're getting out of me.
3 - Don't look awkward don't look awkward don't look awkward am I looking awkward?
4 - If I stare blankly it makes me look intense, right?

The fourth could maybe work if the middle two didn't feel so off, but it could also greatly benefit from a smirk or something to show an iota of personality. You could adjust the lighting as has been suggested, but I don't think it's a huge issue and the other technical stuff looks really solid to me.

I know how hard it is to try to get people to loosen up if they're not comfortable with photos, but that's part of doing portraits (the sucky part).

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum

jsmith114 posted:

Thanks for your thoughts. I was using the good old nifty fifty, next time I will try something longer. Do you find the light too hard in all of the shots? In the first two I was using an unmodified flash to camera right with a make shift reflector on the left but in the third I was using a small shoot-through umbrella. Perhaps it was not close enough to the subject to make enough of a difference.

The "rule" for girls is very soft light and to make it soft it must be large, since you have a small umbrella you almost want to smash it in her face. Learn with one strobe and then once you know how one strobe acts you can start moving on to multiple strobes.
Hopefully later down the road you'll start bending the rules of using only soft light for chicks and trying some hard lights after you start experimenting and knowing how things work. I haven't dared tried yet, but I've seen it done with success.

Miike
Nov 7, 2003
Free Mandela
This is only my 5th photoshoot working with people and my second time working with this friend. I was happy with the images, she is sensitive about her nose. Any advice how to go about shooting a girl and minimizing her nose? Her hair was messy but it was a quick shoot just to feel things out.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)
She's beautiful, but just telling her that isn't going to get rid of her nose issues.

You can photoshop it smaller:

Or for comedic affect, just get rid of it completely.

Oprah Haza
Jan 25, 2008
Shooting up into nostrils is unflattering for anyone, but especially so with those who have... bigger ones.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

I'd hesitate to do any major photoshop work on a nose or something that drastically alters the look of a person. I think the pictures are fine and flattering. Except maybe the last one because of the shooting into the nostrils thing that Oprah Haze pointed out.

I had a client with horrifying body issues (she was fine she just thought she wasn't) - and was asking for ridiculous amounts of retouching that made her look virtually inhuman by the end of it. She probably needed a therapist more than a photographer.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

poopinmymouth posted:

She's beautiful, but just telling her that isn't going to get rid of her nose issues.

You can photoshop it smaller:

Or for comedic affect, just get rid of it completely.

You are SUCH a size queen.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Oprah Haza posted:

Shooting up into nostrils is unflattering for anyone, but especially so with those who have... bigger ones.
I could hardly notice anything unusual about her nose in the first one...

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

Yeah those are all pretty much the most nose flattering angle. Not much you can do without photoshop fuckery or carefully explaining that it's not a big deal.

Miike
Nov 7, 2003
Free Mandela
Thanks for all the advice guys. I was quite happy with the pictures and I think the pictures look fine. I guess its just something she has to deal with herself.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

quick portrait I took of a friend with some glasses my roommate owned

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)
Playing around with 35mm portraits in preparation for the x100 I lie awake thinking about.

IMG_6456.jpg by mr-chompers, on Flickr

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Happy Happy Breakdance Challenge 4

poopinmymouth posted:

Playing around with 35mm portraits in preparation for the x100 I lie awake thinking about.

IMG_6456.jpg by mr-chompers, on Flickr

Really digging this style of portrait at the moment. It has elements of composition I'm hoping to make use of in a series of portraits I'm starting soon.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Did my first engagement shoot. They're close friends of mine and I did it for free for them. Overall I'm happy with how some turned out, learned a lot in the process and feel like I could do better next time. Anyways, a few from it:

358of365 by PictoriousPhoto, on Flickr

Linsley and Justin 04 by PictoriousPhoto, on Flickr

Linsley and Justin 02 by PictoriousPhoto, on Flickr

Linsley and Justin 07 by PictoriousPhoto, on Flickr

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
Alright, didn't know if this should go in the snapshot thread or this thread, but I think its more of a portrait so I'll leave it here.

I want to start shooting portraits and fashion kind of stuff. Nothing real serious right now (or maybe even ever), its just me and my wife, she likes putting together funky fashion poo poo and I've just gotten(last 2 months) real into photography as an art (not that I never considered it as art before, but not a medium I wanted to work in, all I've ever done was take Product Images at work that I'd use in my graphic design work, which is my real job).

Anyway, she doesn't let me shoot her a lot, but I snapped this one when she was getting ready to go out that night, and I like it a lot, and I think its growing on her, she gets self conscious about having her photo taken. She might even get mad that I'm posting this...but whatever!

Here's the original;

And here's an edited shot that I like, but I'm sure would get torn the gently caress up by the pro's on this forum. But we're kind of into the old, semi-washed out, weird...I dont know, I guess hipster film look. But only on certain images.

Ericka by zachary.spradlin, on Flickr

Anyway, I guess I'm looking for comments and criticism, but I'm not good enough, and not serious enough for PAD, as if this image would fly in that thread anyway. I'd just like to see what you guys think, and what I should work on, I guess, some casual 'you should focus on getting X dialed in, or keep an eye on this/that' kind of thing. Also thoughts on the image would be cool too.

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!
I'm not much for the hipster stuff so my opinion is quite bias, but why process it like that? Especially since there wasn't anything wrong with original color. The yellow makes her look sickly and the lack of any other color lowers the contrast and makes it boring. The only things bugging me in the original are her arm (which actually looks like someone else's arm) and that line on the left (which should be cropped out.

Oprah Haza
Jan 25, 2008
Dude, don't do that to your photos. If you want to achieve that "hipster film look" then look into split-toning, not just obliterating the overall temp. Subtlety works best.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
Yea you guys are right, I guess I should've been shooting at a higher F-Stop to avoid the blurry arm thing. Are you saying crop it out at that line that is coming straight up from her wrist, or the bigger black blur to the far left?

As far as loving up my colors with processing, I suck at editing photo's in post, and I'm currently experimenting around to see what different poo poo does and probably taking things too far. With Photography I can't decide on anything, I'm really indecisive— like should I leave the contrast at 0 or +3 or +15 or -5 or is there even that big of a difference between those and does it matter at all? Now add all the different loving sliders and techniques and I can't decide on a goddamn thing.

Guess its something I'll have to work out over time...

Oprah Haza
Jan 25, 2008

RizieN posted:

Yea you guys are right, I guess I should've been shooting at a higher F-Stop to avoid the blurry arm thing. Are you saying crop it out at that line that is coming straight up from her wrist, or the bigger black blur to the far left?

As far as loving up my colors with processing, I suck at editing photo's in post, and I'm currently experimenting around to see what different poo poo does and probably taking things too far. With Photography I can't decide on anything, I'm really indecisive— like should I leave the contrast at 0 or +3 or +15 or -5 or is there even that big of a difference between those and does it matter at all? Now add all the different loving sliders and techniques and I can't decide on a goddamn thing.

Guess its something I'll have to work out over time...

What do you process with? Perhaps making a few virtual copies and then doing a bit of something to each... give it a day or even a few hours and revisit.

It just takes time to develop your style.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
Adobe Camera Raw and Photoshop. Yea thats a good idea, I normally sit on anything I design for a client for at least a day or two before showing them, with the exception of SA mart for obvious reasons.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.
I have no problem with seeing her blurred arm, but you should definitely add some more DOF to get both of her eyes in focus.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

RizieN posted:

Alright, didn't know if this should go in the snapshot thread or this thread, but I think its more of a portrait so I'll leave it here.
Pictures

Look, don't let people tell you you 'hosed up' or ruined the picture. Ask for advice towards a goal - not total judgement. When taking a picture try to make it as perfect as possible in camera. There's a lot to be said for striving towards a good picture, and taking a mediocre one that you try to 'save' in post. Post processing isn't necessarily a bad thing, it's something that you should already have in mind when you take it the first time. That being said, there's nothing stopping you from being creative with photoshop/lightroom; just, in your own head, try to be inventive rather than attempting to ape styles with ordinary pictures, if you know what I mean.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
In that case I achieved the goal; let my wife take a picture I'm allowed to show someone else.

I do enjoy the aesthetic of the "vintage" / hipster washed out/split tone look, I just don't know the fundamentals of post-processing well enough to do it a subtle way and I guess create a style that's my own.

I need her to get more comfortable with letting me shoot her, and give me a day where we plan to actually shoot her, with some goals in mind and not just sneak photos in when she's getting ready to go out. Or else find someone else to shoot I guess.

While I enjoy the second washed out one, I do think I like the original better. I think she likes the second one cause she's self-conscious and it might hide any flaws? I don't know...either way I think you guys are helping steer me in a direction I can work with to come into my own as a photographer. Thanks, hopefully I'll have more stuff to show soon.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

RizieN posted:

I do enjoy the aesthetic of the "vintage" / hipster washed out/split tone look, I just don't know the fundamentals of post-processing well enough to do it a subtle way and I guess create a style that's my own.

Developing a post-processing style that is "your own" is going to be difficult if not impossible. Try to develop a style with the camera, not the PP.

Like the one you took - the first one is great. It's flattering for her features and its not a bad pose. When you do the PP it makes her look kind of sickly and the red part of her eye closest to the camera looks like a diseased blob.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

I took and posted this one a while ago. I liked it, and people seem to like it a lot so I've entered my first photography competition with it. Hopefully it'll lead to something.

Arinel
Aug 16, 2006
How does the water of the brain yield the wine of conscious experience? - Some one quoted it once.

psylent posted:

I took and posted this one a while ago. I liked it, and people seem to like it a lot so I've entered my first photography competition with it. Hopefully it'll lead to something.

What comp?

onezero
Nov 20, 2003

veritas vos liberabit

RizieN posted:

In that case I achieved the goal; let my wife take a picture I'm allowed to show someone else.

Start hanging around the post-process thread and Snap-A-Day, and initially just try to copy the effects that you like on other people's photos. You'll learn the in's and out's real quick and grow into your own style soon enough.

For what it's worth I think you're off to a good start.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

psylent posted:

I remember when you originally posted this, but I'm going to chime in again to say it's pretty awesome photo. It's like one of Whitezombi's black and white landscapes personified. Good luck!

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

Arinel posted:

What comp?
Head On - I don't think I'm really in with a chance, but it can't hurt to enter. Especially when the prizes are so awesome.

psylent fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Mar 2, 2011

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
I did a couple of corporate headshot dealies a while back for a company I used to work for but never got around to posting them here for some savage crit. These are all from separate sessions hence the inconsistency in head sizes. The last one was shot landscape as the lady was 8 months pregnant and didn't want her belly showing.

My lighting setup isn't spectacular. I've got a 580exII (good!) and a 420ex (bad!) as it fires at full power every time.

580ex firing through a shoot through umbrella to subject right as key. 420ex snooted, diffused and bouncing off a wall to the subject's left as fill.

They wanted a shot on white for this one, so I fired the 480ex at the wall behind her and did the usual umbrella on the subject's right deal. I can see the whiteness is overpowering around the edges of her hair.

For the next time I do this I can already tell that I'm going to need a hair light when I'm shooting on a black background.

Now rip me apart and make me a new man.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

psylent posted:

I did a couple of corporate headshot dealies a while back for a company I used to work for but never got around to posting them here for some savage crit. These are all from separate sessions hence the inconsistency in head sizes. The last one was shot landscape as the lady was 8 months pregnant and didn't want her belly showing.

My lighting setup isn't spectacular. I've got a 580exII (good!) and a 420ex (bad!) as it fires at full power every time.

580ex firing through a shoot through umbrella to subject right as key. 420ex snooted, diffused and bouncing off a wall to the subject's left as fill.

They wanted a shot on white for this one, so I fired the 480ex at the wall behind her and did the usual umbrella on the subject's right deal. I can see the whiteness is overpowering around the edges of her hair.

For the next time I do this I can already tell that I'm going to need a hair light when I'm shooting on a black background.

Basically

psylent posted:

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

psylent posted:

I think they're a little underexposed, personally, especially the one of the man. A hair light would be a good starting point. Also, corporate headshots are disgustingly boring.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.

onezero posted:

Start hanging around the post-process thread and Snap-A-Day, and initially just try to copy the effects that you like on other people's photos. You'll learn the in's and out's real quick and grow into your own style soon enough.

For what it's worth I think you're off to a good start.

Yea, I meant to go through the thread, then I posted a question and the 'new posts' thing took me to the end of the thread, I need to go back through it.

Thanks for the compliments and help, to you and everyone else.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Also, corporate headshots are disgustingly boring.
Corporate headshots are pretty boring, but they're about to pay for my new 5DMk II so I don't really mind. It feels like easy money :cool:

psylent fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Mar 3, 2011

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Happy Happy Breakdance Challenge 4

psylent posted:

...couple of corporate headshot dealies...

Do you do much post work at all? The chap is a bit oily / shiny, which is bound to happen with the kit you have to hand, but maybe a bit of post work to even out the skin tones could help here.

Otherwise they work just fine for me.

New portrait of my favourite subject - I'm sort of trying to do a Dutch Masters thing, because I absolutely love them. Only problem is, I'm not Dutch. Or a master.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

Gazmachine posted:

I like the lighting, but I think something is off with her shoulders. This crop and her angle makes her look abnormally wide. I personally would like it a little brighter, but that might ruin the softness you have going on.

This lady owns a bunch of local radio stations.

This guy runs the console and agreed to be my lighting test, he was not part of the assignment.

Really happy with these, I had 4 assignments this past week, and this was my favorite.

What do you think? They are still pretty boring, but at least there's some color, and I hope interesting light.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

I like the tests better. The lady looks very stiff.

The red wall in the last one is nice and the monitors and equipment lead the eyes really well. It's also the only one without blown highlights in the water.

burzum karaoke fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Mar 5, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

I think this one is pretty solid. It actually makes her look like a radio personality. The other ones make her look like a studio secretary. She's right next to a microphone, but she's just kind of in its presence. In this one she is actually engaging the viewer from what looks like HER command station and not just a random setting.