Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

Anani Masu posted:

Some time ago, someone linked me to this

http://history.cookiethievery.com/053104/

and I've kept it in my favorites ever since. I can't look at it without my mood improving at least a little. However, every time I've tried to find the song that perfect loop is cut from I've come up empty handed. The lyrics (ha!) don't lend themselves well to internet search and there are apparently dozens of songs with various permutations of "Aww poo poo" as the title. Anyone recognize it?

awwwwww poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Erebus posted:

awwwwww poo poo

Yesssssssss. Thank you.

Steve Holt!
Aug 28, 2006

STEVE HOLT!

College Slice
Oops new page.

FortCastle
Apr 24, 2009
I will be greatly indebted to whoever can identify this song for me, I've been searching for about half an hour with no luck, it's from a scene in The Wire, Season 5 (major spoilers in this scene so don't watch it if you're planning on watching the series) and it starts at 1:50, it's clearly playing in one of the cars and it has a really good bass but with other sound effects I couldn't make out the words, the only words I could hear was "drunk on the high life" or at least it sounds like that, I've been googling madly though and I can't find anything

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rWuJ3eD6Qc

xThrasheRx
Jul 12, 2005

Surrealistic
ok this is probably the right place to ask, can someone please help me out and identify this jpop/jrock song? it starts 1 minute into this vod, please please!

http://mrbitter.blip.tv/file/4716426/

a pwn cocktail
May 12, 2008
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gatBwNxzsQ

Any idea what the song is?

SouvlakiPlaystation
Jan 7, 2006

Ave Lucifer, baby
I'm in dire need for help with identifying this Egyptian/Nubian song. So far I've asked the guy who posted the video, 2 other message boards and a friend who studied the middle east and I've still got nothing.

Anyone?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJXrSLi9Dt8

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

a pwn cocktail posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gatBwNxzsQ

Any idea what the song is?

Hexstatic - A Different Place

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

I saw this song's absolutely bizarre music video this morning, and it's got me incredibly curious as to who the artist is. I watched this in a cafeteria where the acoustics aren't great, so I couldn't hear much of the song but I remember the video.

The video features predominantly a woman in a red dress, or robe, singing in what appears to be a ballroom. In the background, there are 4 men in tutus with Swan Lake styled makeup. I'm assuming it's Swan Lake because it's incredibly similar to Natalie Portman's makeup in Black Swan. These men were dancing in typical ballerina style and it featured their dancing by showing them off in various ways. The men, as far as I can tell, were simply making "ta" noises in falsetto in a musical fashion, they might have been emulating instruments a la acapella but I can't say for sure. I couldn't hear if there was any form of background music, because like I said the acoustics were quite bad, so all I could hear was the men singing and occasionally the woman. The woman came down on a crescent moon, I believe, I'm not entirely sure because I didn't start paying attention until that point.

It's not that it's a particularly amazing song or anything, the video just caught my attention and I would like to know what it is. If more info is needed, I can try to scan my memory for more stuff.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Cowman posted:

I saw this song's absolutely bizarre music video this morning, and it's got me incredibly curious as to who the artist is. I watched this in a cafeteria where the acoustics aren't great, so I couldn't hear much of the song but I remember the video.

The video features predominantly a woman in a red dress, or robe, singing in what appears to be a ballroom. In the background, there are 4 men in tutus with Swan Lake styled makeup. I'm assuming it's Swan Lake because it's incredibly similar to Natalie Portman's makeup in Black Swan. These men were dancing in typical ballerina style and it featured their dancing by showing them off in various ways. The men, as far as I can tell, were simply making "ta" noises in falsetto in a musical fashion, they might have been emulating instruments a la acapella but I can't say for sure. I couldn't hear if there was any form of background music, because like I said the acoustics were quite bad, so all I could hear was the men singing and occasionally the woman. The woman came down on a crescent moon, I believe, I'm not entirely sure because I didn't start paying attention until that point.

It's not that it's a particularly amazing song or anything, the video just caught my attention and I would like to know what it is. If more info is needed, I can try to scan my memory for more stuff.

Annie Lennox - No More I Love Yous??

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

FitFortDanga posted:

Annie Lennox - No More I Love Yous??

How in the hell did you get that? That's exactly it, and my god was I way off on my description of it. Like I said, poor acoustics and an even worse viewing angle. Thanks a ton.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Cowman posted:

How in the hell did you get that?

It was the part about the falsetto voices imitating instruments. I had a boss in 95 or 96 who would sit in her office playing that loving song over and over and over again. It was a nightmare.

a pwn cocktail
May 12, 2008

Thanks.

And now I've got another one!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00n4wb3/Never_Mind_the_Buzzcocks_Series_23_Episode_1/

2:00 - 2:14

Any ideas? (Not sure but I think you can only view that vid if you're in the UK :()

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:

a pwn cocktail posted:

Thanks.

And now I've got another one!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00n4wb3/Never_Mind_the_Buzzcocks_Series_23_Episode_1/

2:00 - 2:14

Any ideas? (Not sure but I think you can only view that vid if you're in the UK :()

Röyksopp - Happy Up Here

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

So, I just heard a song where there was male voice (maybe vocoded) saying "how about the girls" and "how about the boys" with electronic-esque music.

WierdFishes posted:

I heard this electro-clash song at a friend's house, it featured a robotic male voice and a very horny girl, and pong-style bleepbloops for the beat. She says things like "Oh baby give it to me" and "oh tiger, lay it on me", and at the end of the song he says he has a call on the other line and cuts her off.

Anyone know this one?
I do not know what it is but I want it, that sounds right up my alley.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

EvilMoFo posted:

So, I just heard a song where there was male voice (maybe vocoded) saying "how about the girls" and "how about the boys" with electronic-esque music.

Arling and Cameron - How About the Boys?

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

danke

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang
A few days ago I was sitting in a cafe and a song I vaguely knew came on. It's really hard for me to describe as it was difficult to hear. If I were to make guesses, I'd say it could possibly be French, it's quite a catchy little light jangly song maybe with some guitars and some trumpets. Couldn't tell you if it's a man or a woman singing.

If that were all, I'd be stuck. However, I did remember a bit of the melody and (badly) whistled it into my phone in the hope that it might help. I have uploaded it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eox3Fyw01xs

The first 10 seconds are the singing and the last few notes are a wee trumpet bit that comes in at the end of a line or verse. It's driving me crazy.

Hdlsa
Jul 28, 2007
Important-looking pirate
This is a longshot, but there is a little riff from the Wes Montgomery track Mr. Walker that is driving me crazy. I have this unmistakable feeling that it was sampled in some hip-hop song but I can't remember which one. It may not be a direct sample from this track, but I know I have heard this chord progression played on guitar appear in some song. Can anyone help me out, it's the riff that plays almost right away in this video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ijEbM6uzEQ&t=2m40s

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.

Hdlsa posted:

This is a longshot, but there is a little riff from the Wes Montgomery track Mr. Walker that is driving me crazy. I have this unmistakable feeling that it was sampled in some hip-hop song but I can't remember which one. It may not be a direct sample from this track, but I know I have heard this chord progression played on guitar appear in some song. Can anyone help me out, it's the riff that plays almost right away in this video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ijEbM6uzEQ&t=2m40s

It reminds me of De La Soul and Arrested Development but I couldn't tell you which song.

Hdlsa
Jul 28, 2007
Important-looking pirate

Cavenagh posted:

It reminds me of De La Soul and Arrested Development but I couldn't tell you which song.

Ah, that's it! It's Eye Know by De La Soul. Thanks so much.

ejstheman
Feb 11, 2004
There's this one oldies song that has either no words, or a super-long instrumental section before any words start. It's played on what sounds like a synth organ for a while, then what sounds like a bass guitar, and both do repetitions of/variations on a theme, something like G, A, A#, A, G, F, E, D, G, A#, G, C2, D2. All the notes have the same value, and by the number 2 I'm denoting an octave above the other notes. Might be from the 70s? I heard part of it on the radio the other day and I can't remember the name or the group to save my life, although it's a song that you hear on oldies stations fairly regularly, and I feel like I ought to know it.

SebAndSeb
Apr 23, 2007

hello

ejstheman posted:

There's this one oldies song that has either no words, or a super-long instrumental section before any words start. It's played on what sounds like a synth organ for a while, then what sounds like a bass guitar, and both do repetitions of/variations on a theme, something like G, A, A#, A, G, F, E, D, G, A#, G, C2, D2. All the notes have the same value, and by the number 2 I'm denoting an octave above the other notes. Might be from the 70s? I heard part of it on the radio the other day and I can't remember the name or the group to save my life, although it's a song that you hear on oldies stations fairly regularly, and I feel like I ought to know it.

Boston - Foreplay/Long Time ?

SlumPrincess
Jan 1, 2006

Soon....soon I'm gonna make you a star

ejstheman posted:

If I'm getting your notes right, it sounds a lot like Foreplay/Long Time by Boston.

ejstheman
Feb 11, 2004
YES

Thank you both so much. Brought it up on youtube and that's exactly it.

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.

These Loving Eyes posted:

Not searching for a song per se but for a thread in either NMD or Musician's Lounge: the title was something like "Songs with Odd/Misleading Time Signatures" or something and the main gist was that the songs started off with a melody or a riff whose "one" was difficult to grasp. Anyone remember this? It had Television's Marquee Moon in it.

I assume you mean this one:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3317891

Requires archives. I was actually just about to go look for it myself when I saw your post.

These Loving Eyes
Jun 6, 2009

Admiral Goodenough posted:

I assume you mean this one:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3317891

Requires archives. I was actually just about to go look for it myself when I saw your post.

Ah drat, I thought it was so recent that it hadn't sunken into the depths of archives. Oh well, thanks anyway. :)

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Tenterhooks posted:

A few days ago I was sitting in a cafe and a song I vaguely knew came on. It's really hard for me to describe as it was difficult to hear. If I were to make guesses, I'd say it could possibly be French, it's quite a catchy little light jangly song maybe with some guitars and some trumpets. Couldn't tell you if it's a man or a woman singing.

If that were all, I'd be stuck. However, I did remember a bit of the melody and (badly) whistled it into my phone in the hope that it might help. I have uploaded it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eox3Fyw01xs

The first 10 seconds are the singing and the last few notes are a wee trumpet bit that comes in at the end of a line or verse. It's driving me crazy.

Sounds like "Running Away" by Sly & the Family Stone.

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang

FitFortDanga posted:

Sounds like "Running Away" by Sly & the Family Stone.

gently caress yeah! I don't know where I got 'French' or 'jangly' from - must've been the noisy cafe. Thanks.

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

The song I'm thinking of is a Canadian rapper I could've sworn his name was Elan but he uses the crossfader a lot. The song I'm looking for has the lyrics "The cross faderer the darth vaderer" but it doesn't show up on google. Also a black dude raps with him. I foundit about 8 months ago but I can't find it for poo poo now.

Sad Mammal
Feb 5, 2008

You see me laughin
Edan - Making Planets

devamon
Jan 13, 2006
okay, couple of terribly vague ones that I hope somebody might be able to help with. I'm pretty sure both of these are from 2008, and if memory serves, they are both rap songs or in the hip-hop genre.

The first one had some lyrics that had to do with tornados or twisters...it was a repeating theme in the song.

The second one was about growing up living a hard life, and contained some lyrics about girls having to act older than they were, not being allowed to have a childhood and such.

If anybody can offer any help at all, that would be simply amazing.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
There's this song I've been dying to hear again for a while, i cant remember the lyrics but I can remember the following:

- It begins with a soft acoustic guitar music, and there's some dude singing softly, about halfway into the song, a mind blowingly incredible crescendo occurs, with a mix of a single synthesizer sound and backup strings.

- The music video for it is a CGI animation of a boy walking and exploring, underneath him is a big purple turnip, when the crescendo comes, the turnip pops out of the ground carrying the boy with him and the turnip has a mouth singing the lyrics while walking with it's long leaf legs.

it's a recent song that cant have been older than 3 years, any help would be awesome.

Cookie Kwan
Dec 10, 2007

Stay away from the west side!

Al-Saqr posted:

There's this song I've been dying to hear again for a while, i cant remember the lyrics but I can remember the following:

- It begins with a soft acoustic guitar music, and there's some dude singing softly, about halfway into the song, a mind blowingly incredible crescendo occurs, with a mix of a single synthesizer sound and backup strings.

- The music video for it is a CGI animation of a boy walking and exploring, underneath him is a big purple turnip, when the crescendo comes, the turnip pops out of the ground carrying the boy with him and the turnip has a mouth singing the lyrics while walking with it's long leaf legs.

it's a recent song that cant have been older than 3 years, any help would be awesome.
Pretty sure I came here to post this exact song. :aaaaa:

Does the tune go da da dum, da da dum, da da dum, dum dum, dum dum dum with the synth and then the strings bit starts?

xcdude24
Dec 23, 2008
Can someone help me out with the song that's playing in the background beginning around 1:40 on this mashup?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWZKF9MTOGA

One more edit: talking about the instrumental, not the Rihanna song.

xcdude24 fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Mar 6, 2011

Rubies
Dec 30, 2005

Live Forever
Die Every Day

:h: :s: :d: :c:
Ok, I can swear there's a Fiery Furnaces song that I love but I can't find it in iTunes. I don't remember how the whole song goes but at one point the guy says "two, three four!" and it plays this really melted trombone(?) while he speaks gibberish. It might not actually be gibberish but in my mind it's just backwards talking and the like, with a lot of "mushy" sounds like Portuguese being spoken.

I have Bitter Tea, Blueberry Boat, and EP but it doesn't seem to be on any of those. Then again my external lost a lost of stuff last year so I could be missing tracks. Does that sound like any Fiery Furnaces song anyone knows or am I looking in the wrong place?

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
Several years ago I went to some random bar and they had some live music there. One of the bands was just some guy with an electric bass and a drummer. They played some songs that were definitely longer than five minutes and maybe longer than eight minutes. The style of the music reminded me somewhat of the band Mono (as far as the feel or mood.. but it was definitely more jazzy whereas Mono is more 'classical' if that makes any sense).

I don't think it's possible to figure out the name of the band as they were local, but if anyone knows what I am taking about and you could tell me what genre of music this is or if you know any other bands that might sound like this, please let me know. I'm mainly interested in the fact that it was JUST a bass guitar and a drum and they really did interesting build up and the music sounded really layered etc.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

devamon posted:

The second one was about growing up living a hard life, and contained some lyrics about girls having to act older than they were, not being allowed to have a childhood and such.

"What I Wanna Be" by Nas?

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Comic Book Guy posted:

Pretty sure I came here to post this exact song. :aaaaa:

Does the tune go da da dum, da da dum, da da dum, dum dum, dum dum dum with the synth and then the strings bit starts?

YES it's exactly like that! I really want to hear that song again!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited
Hi all,

I heard this one on the radio just before getting sent overseas for work, so little tiny pieces of it are stuck in my head, I can't figure it out, and I can't even sit around listening to the radio in hopes that the DJ will announce it for me.

It's a current song, getting radio play in at least the past month. It feels very electronic, very processed, enough that it's hard to tell what the (female) singer is saying. I hear something that sounds like "falling through you" in what has to be the chorus.

It's very light, has a kind of echo-y feel to it, but it's surprisingly fast-paced.

Any guesses?

edit: crap I am mix-and-matching earworms now get this thing out of my head. . .

Cassius Belli fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Mar 7, 2011