Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice

Chaos Hippy posted:

Piett's the only one Vader didn't choke out in Empire. The fact that he survived to the end of Jedi makes him noteworthy.

Also, he commanded the Imperial flagship, which leads me to assume he commanded the fleet.

I don't know about that. Flagships often have their own commander even if the fleet commander is on board. One would think that a SSD is so big it probably has its own admiral for ship operations while Vader was the usual fleet commander. During the Battle of Endor Piett was likely in charge of the battle group, but one would think the most secure command position would be on the Death Star. All that is just a guess, though. I dare not delve into Wookiepedia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Keep in mind the Empire had like twelve Grand Admirals that logically Admirals must be in charge of small sector fleets or battle groups in actual fighting is an explanation I can live with easily.

Somebody should do a cartoon where Han shoots some random Stormtrooper and then gets notified by a terminal about a distant family members death dammit.

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos
Why was the Death Star really necessary? From sources I've read, a single ISD would have been able to sufficiently destroy a planet's infrastructure (absent a shield generator) to the point where most planets in the galaxy would have been unable to resist it.

The ability to completely annihilate a planet was a good fear tool, but it seems overly impractical when it came to really being useful considering that the object in warfare is usually to preserve the enemy assets wherever possible.

Starblind
Apr 4, 2007

Encomium in colour
Does anybody remember Food Wars?

You know how on TV shows and movies if they have to show a kids' school play, if it isn't Romeo & Juliet it's usually something to do with food where everybody dresses up as fruits and vegetables and tries to teach the audience about the food groups or whatever? Food Wars was like that, only it was also a Star Wars parody that mostly followed the A New Hope plot.

I was in it (I vaguely remember being a robot) so I know it exists. I can't seem to find any evidence of it online though. I guess it could have been written by someone at my school and only performed there, but I don't think so, I think it was a professionally written play that schools could buy and perform. There's a small chance I may be misremembering the title, I guess. Anybody know what I'm talking about?

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

SeanBeansShako posted:

Keep in mind the Empire had like twelve Grand Admirals that logically Admirals must be in charge of small sector fleets or battle groups in actual fighting is an explanation I can live with easily.

Somebody should do a cartoon where Han shoots some random Stormtrooper and then gets notified by a terminal about a distant family members death dammit.

Wow I wish a single word of this made sense.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

That DICK! posted:

Wow I wish a single word of this made sense.

I wish your mother made sense. But seriously TLDR that does make sense, Grand Admirals do the poo poo Admirals do on a bigger scale.

KaosFactor
Dec 10, 2000

Rommel Rommel
Rank's don't stop at Admiral or General, there are degrees.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

LLJKSiLk posted:

Why was the Death Star really necessary? From sources I've read, a single ISD would have been able to sufficiently destroy a planet's infrastructure (absent a shield generator) to the point where most planets in the galaxy would have been unable to resist it.

The ability to completely annihilate a planet was a good fear tool, but it seems overly impractical when it came to really being useful considering that the object in warfare is usually to preserve the enemy assets wherever possible.

Well the Geonosians designed it and they are stupid.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

bbf2 posted:

Bland British Imperial Officer #3 has his own website? I just...don't understand. Why pick that particular one? Piett is the one who had the conversation with Vader when he came out of the ship in the beginning of ROTJ, right?

No, that was Jerjerrod. Piett is the guy who got promoted to Admiral on the spot when Vader force-choked the previous Admiral right in front of him.

I'm mildly ashamed that I know this.

(But no, I have no idea what's the deal with that fanfic website.)

Starblind
Apr 4, 2007

Encomium in colour

LLJKSiLk posted:

That was kind of the point though. It wasn't a sound military decision or even a strategic fear-causing tool. It was an act of Caligula-esque hubris meant to suggest the Empire wasn't just mean but slightly crazy too. They weren't just unscrupulous and opportunistic politicians who happened to use the dark side to come into power, they were by that time instruments of the dark side themselves.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Powered Descent posted:

No, that was Jerjerrod. Piett is the guy who got promoted to Admiral on the spot when Vader force-choked the previous Admiral right in front of him.

I'm mildly ashamed that I know this.

(But no, I have no idea what's the deal with that fanfic website.)

Holy poo poo, from Jerjerrod's article:

quote:

Because his crews were behind schedule, Jerjerrod had no time to inspect the new computer core and contingent of stormtroopers that had arrived with it. Unbeknownst to him, the rogue assassin droid and bounty hunter IG-88A had uploaded his consciousness into a duplicate computer core and planned to use the second Death Star as part of a revolution of droids that he was executing.
As the stormtrooper droids unloaded the core, Jerjerrod noted that they moved with near-mechanical precision, and he silently wished that all his men would be like them.

:wtc:

e: gently caress I kept reading

quote:

Though the superlaser was under the control of IG-88A,[18] the Imperials still maintained some influence over the prime weapon.

That's right folks, IG-88A controlled the superlaser at the Battle of Endor.

Huitzil
May 25, 2010

by elpintogrande

movax posted:

He also kept closing doors on the DSII in the Emperor's face, just to be a dick.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Something that hit me a while ago was Vader's line - "The power to destroy a planet is insignificant compared to the power of the Force."

Uh..... not really. I'd say that that power remains pretty dang significant. I've never seen anyone use the Force to just straight up blow up a planet.

"The power to control the atom is insignificant when compared to the power of Jeet Kun Do :smug:"

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

That DICK! posted:

I've never seen anyone use the Force to just straight up blow up a planet.
There was a dude who ate planets with the Force. Just straight up gobbled them down like a Force-Hoagie.

Ninja_Orca
Nov 12, 2010

by hoodrow trillson

Slantedfloors posted:

There was a dude who ate planets with the Force. Just straight up gobbled them down like a Force-Hoagie.

Motherfucking Darth Nihilus. Though to be fair he didn't eat them so much as "Ripped the Force itself from everything about them, pretty much making them uninhabitable." That's what you get when you try to replace "Superweapon of the week" with a person.

NeonTurtle
Sep 24, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT SUPPORTING GENOCIDE

LLJKSiLk posted:

I take it you're talking about the Imperial Planetary Ore Extractor? The whole reason for its existence was to efficiently get at the molten iron core of planets so they could go in and mine all that sweet, sweet ore.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

That DICK! posted:

Something that hit me a while ago was Vader's line - "The power to destroy a planet is insignificant compared to the power of the Force."

Uh..... not really. I'd say that that power remains pretty dang significant. I've never seen anyone use the Force to just straight up blow up a planet.

"The power to control the atom is insignificant when compared to the power of Jeet Kun Do :smug:"

And yet the Force enabled Luke Skywalker to plant 2 missiles down a shaft and blow the Death Star the gently caress up.

Remember Obi-Wan? He didn't literally mean he'd come back from the dead to specifically whup Vader's rear end, either.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Ninja_Orca posted:

Motherfucking Darth Nihilus. Though to be fair he didn't eat them so much as "Ripped the Force itself from everything about them, pretty much making them uninhabitable." That's what you get when you try to replace "Superweapon of the week" with a person.

He was basically a walking void in the Force, kind of a perverse version of what the Exile could have become and born out of the destruction caused by the Exile. He was basically a monster that the Exile had to take responsibility for somehow, not just a crappy generic superweapon made-up just to get Luke, Leia, and Han out of the house.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

movax posted:

Holy poo poo, from Jerjerrod's article:

:wtc:

e: gently caress I kept reading

IG-88 in the Death Star is one thing in the EU where I draw the loving line. I refuse to consider it canon.

stawk Archer
Jun 19, 2004

by angerbot

arioch posted:

And yet the Force enabled Luke Skywalker to plant 2 missiles down a shaft and blow the Death Star the gently caress up.

Remember Obi-Wan? He didn't literally mean he'd come back from the dead to specifically whup Vader's rear end, either.

Pow! This guy gets it

About the Admirals and poo poo: Nothing was wrong with the way rank was done in the movie. Like a lot of little things, the starfleet and its structure was just mentioned in passing in order to keep it moving. That said, if some dickhead is going to go into detail about how the battles were then it would be nice if he tried to get it all to make sense and not just squeeze every bit of crypic dialogue from the movies to make it fit. BSG had the best space battles and all that and it focused on the minutiae of how the ship and crew would operate. Star Fleet Battles, a detailed game based off of Star Trek (a show that gave few details), made sense because they filled in the blanks with actual naval stuff instead of taking the same approach as telling a movie.
I think that's the main reason Star Wars spinoffs tend to be silly: they present everything as a narrative because that's the way the movies are, not realizing that you need to take another approach and not reuse the same formula.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

WhyteRyce posted:

He was basically a walking void in the Force, kind of a perverse version of what the Exile could have become and born out of the destruction caused by the Exile. He was basically a monster that the Exile had to take responsibility for somehow, not just a crappy generic superweapon made-up just to get Luke, Leia, and Han out of the house.
He was basically a preposterous plot device that would not have felt out of place in a Kevin J. Anderson book.

Suenteus Po
Sep 15, 2007
SOH-Dan

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

IG-88 in the Death Star is one thing in the EU where I draw the loving line. I refuse to consider it canon.

I will take IG-88 in the DSII over all three of the prequel movies. :colbert:

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Suenteus Po posted:

I will take IG-88 in the DSII over all three of the prequel movies. :colbert:

I just really hate IG-88_. I think it all stems from getting killed by him repeatedly in the SOE N64 game as a wee lad. :(

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

It's hilarious how big IG-88 got. It's been brought up how it is strange that Boba Fett became so famous when he had hardly any role in the movies. IG-88 had literally 15 seconds of screen time standing around. That's it.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008
When I first saw it in the movie, I didn't even know it was a bounty hunter. I thought it was just a convenient thing standing there for the other bounty hunters to hang their guns on, like a coat rack.

NGL
Jan 15, 2003
AssKing

Der Luftwaffle posted:

When I first saw it in the movie, I didn't even know it was a bounty hunter. I thought it was just a convenient thing standing there for the other bounty hunters to hang their guns on, like a coat rack.

Seriously, he's basically a prop made of spare parts from the cantina with some guns thrown on for good measure. It's almost like they couldn't afford to make a new droid suit, so they assembled a bunch of pipes into a vaguely humanoid shape, painted it black to look more menacing, and called it a day.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Better that than General Grievous. Or anything at all out of the droid army, with the possible exception of the droidekas because those actually appear competent/well-designed in terms of a war machine.

Ninja_Orca
Nov 12, 2010

by hoodrow trillson
I'm trying to decide if IG-88 taking over the DS II or HK-47 showing up in Galaxies was worse, and I'm not getting anywhere.

NGL
Jan 15, 2003
AssKing

arioch posted:

Better that than General Grievous. Or anything at all out of the droid army, with the possible exception of the droidekas because those actually appear competent/well-designed in terms of a war machine.

Yeah, I've always been fond of Droidekas. They're unconventional-looking, badass, and a bitch to kill in Battlefront.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Ninja_Orca posted:

I'm trying to decide if IG-88 taking over the DS II or HK-47 showing up in Galaxies was worse, and I'm not getting anywhere.

At least Galaxies was not canon in any way.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

arioch posted:

The droidekas were like the only competent droids they had. Really good at their job; lots of blasters, quick (rolling) and integrated shield generators.

I realize Lucas was making a movie FOR THE KIDS but there's no reason to make your war droids humanoid when other designs can suffice/be vastly more efficient at their jobs.

Then I remember those squat walker things with laser cannons and realize even the non-humanoid ones look pretty dumb. They needed some loving MechWarrior/BattleTech/whatever style mechs, that'd be :black101: as hell.

e: also some ED-209s

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Ninja_Orca posted:

Galaxies because people got paid to put it in the game and people paid to access the terrible content of that expansion pack.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

movax posted:

The droidekas were like the only competent droids they had. Really good at their job; lots of blasters, quick (rolling) and integrated shield generators.

I realize Lucas was making a movie FOR THE KIDS but there's no reason to make your war droids humanoid when other designs can suffice/be vastly more efficient at their jobs.

Then I remember those squat walker things with laser cannons and realize even the non-humanoid ones look pretty dumb. They needed some loving MechWarrior/BattleTech/whatever style mechs, that'd be :black101: as hell.

e: also some ED-209s

Those super battledroids remind me of one of the failed Robocop designs from Robocop 2. That's just one of the many reasons I could never take AOTC seriously.

NGL
Jan 15, 2003
AssKing

movax posted:

They also have the added advantage of looking decidedly inhuman, almost insectoid.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Der Luftwaffle posted:

I only knew because I had the IG-88 action figure as a kid.

KaosFactor
Dec 10, 2000

Rommel Rommel
Droid army is like the tie fighters: cheap and expendable. Not efficient in any way, but can be devastating in large numbers.

They did take out a number of Jedi on Genosis.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

KaosFactor posted:

Droid army is like the tie fighters: cheap and expendable. Not efficient in any way, but can be devastating in large numbers.

They did take out a number of Jedi on Genosis.

What exactly was Mace Windu's plan anyway? He didn't know about Yoda so basically he got 200 Jedi killed for nothing.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

What exactly was Mace Windu's plan anyway? He didn't know about Yoda so basically he got 200 Jedi killed for nothing.

He had to get there 5 minutes before Yoda could otherwise Anakin would have died!

Which reminds me, how did Yoda manage to discover and mobilize an entire army which he knew nothing about and arrive only minutes after Mace?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

WhyteRyce posted:

He had to get there 5 minutes before Yoda could otherwise Anakin would have died!

Which reminds me, how did Yoda manage to discover and mobilize an entire army which he knew nothing about and arrive only minutes after Mace?

How did the Separatists not discover that a massive armada of space craft had flown to the planet until they were at the arena?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Just about the only way to rationalize it is that his plan was that the bad guys would immediately surrender as soon as they saw all the Jedi.

When that didn't work out, he improvised a new "plan" -- all of the Jedi just stand there in the middle of the arena, accomplishing absolutely nothing, as they gradually get killed off one by one.

NOT try to fight their way to an exit, or get back up to the head bad guys' box seats, or even find better cover in the stands or the tunnels. Nope, just stand there in the middle of a gigantic open area, surrounded by endless waves of disposable bad guys with blaster rifles, and wait to get killed by statistically-inevitable lucky shots.