Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

Anjow posted:

I cut myself at work today. I was told they had no plasters because it's against health & safety rules, something to do with someone perhaps being allergic to them?

My questions are:

1. Has anyone heard of or experienced this as being true?

2. If it is true, what are you meant to do if you cut yourself?

Does a plaster = a Band-aid ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

Anjow posted:

I cut myself at work today. I was told they had no plasters because it's against health & safety rules, something to do with someone perhaps being allergic to them?

My questions are:

1. No, everywhere I've ever worked had a full first aid locker filled up by a truck that comes by every week. I'm in the US though and I assume you're not due to the whole "plasters" thing. But a retarded legal-phobia rule like that sounds like yall are trying to be like us.

We did however go through about 6 years of no snow plowing at all in our lot because a lady slipped, fell and sued. Basis of the lawsuit being something like they didn't plow good enough. After that they just left snow and ice because cloud giant put it there or something and you can't sue him.

2. Notify HR, schedule a post-accident drug test and then call an ambulance.

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Feb 28, 2011

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist
I'm allergic to latex, so we have latex free band-aids in my house. Every place I've ever worked has had them too. As far as I know, that's the most common allergy people could have regarding band-aids.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Given that the replies suggest that it's not a common thing and the fact that it's a very small company, I'm going to assume that I was just told that because the guy I asked (a director) didn't know of any and didn't know why we didn't have any. It's way more likely that it's just an oversight and a duff answer than a calculated and bureaucratic legal dodge.

On the subject of first aid, what are opinions of spray-on plasters?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

tendrilsfor20 posted:

What is the musical term for when two singers are singing at different tempos at the same time?

Not the "Row, Row, Row your boat" thing where they start at different times, but more like this.
No music nerds ever answered this for me...

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

kapalama posted:

things worth noting:

1. Copyright is not a given, and can be lost if not claimed in proper legal fashion (see George Romero and 'Night of the Living Dead'), or protected.

The first part hasn't been true for the last 30 years or so. The current law is copyright is a given. All creative works in any medium are automatically under copyright by the creator unless the creator specifically waives that right - putting it into public domain, releasing it under some sort of license, doing it under a work-for-hire contract, anything of those natures, but it has to be an explicit waiver. Filing for copyright these days is essentially purely to prove you were the original creator.

The second part's never been true, copyright does not need to be protected to be enforced. Trademark does, but a copyright holder can choose not to enforce their copyright for decades before turning around and doing so, and it won't affect the legal validity of their claim in the slightest.

Idran fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Feb 28, 2011

Melicious
Nov 18, 2005
Ugh, stop licking my hand, you horse's ass!

tendrilsfor20 posted:

As far as I know, there's not really a name for it, unless you lump it in with counterpoint. At any rate, they aren't singing at different tempi- it's the same tempo, just different note values. Same underlying pulse.

HUMAN FISH
Jul 6, 2003

I Am A Mom With A
"BLACK BELT"
In AUTISM
I Have Strengths You Can't Imagine
edit: I can't read.

HUMAN FISH fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Feb 28, 2011

Rhizoid
May 8, 2003

Takifugu!

Anjow posted:

My questions are:

My work hides the band-aids within health and safety dept., so you can't get them without obviously reporting your injury to them. Health and Safety rules at my work state that all injuries MUST be reported. We just bought our own out of petty cash.

ass is hometown
Jan 11, 2006

I gotta take a leak. When I get back, we're doing body shots.

tendrilsfor20 posted:

Melicious posted:

As far as I know, there's not really a name for it, unless you lump it in with counterpoint. At any rate, they aren't singing at different tempi- it's the same tempo, just different note values. Same underlying pulse.

I think you mean Round

ass is hometown
Jan 11, 2006

Fire In The Disco posted:

I'm allergic to latex, so we have latex free band-aids in my house. Every place I've ever worked has had them too. As far as I know, that's the most common allergy people could have regarding band-aids.

After that there is a decent number of people allergic to adhesive, or certain types of adhesives and since they don't list the derivatives of adhesives on the box some people wont use them.

Although most latex and adhesive allergies are just rash allergies and not systemic anaphylaxis. And si really nothing more than an inconvenience.

Wyatt
Jul 7, 2009

NOOOOOOOOOO.

Ridonkulous posted:

I think you mean Round

Nope:

tendrilsfor20 posted:

Not the "Row, Row, Row your boat" thing where they start at different times...

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Why do some stores like Canadian Tire make you push through a turnstile to enter? Is it a way of counting how many people come in?

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
My dad is really into sci-fi shows with multiple dimensions and I heard about a show called Charlie Jade that seems to fit the bill.

But it doesnt seem to have ever been released in the US, so I'm wondering what is the best legal way to get a DVD or legal digital version of this show to my dad here in the USA given that it's not availible through netflix and there are regional blocks. :[

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Drimble Wedge posted:

Why do some stores like Canadian Tire make you push through a turnstile to enter? Is it a way of counting how many people come in?

I'm not sure if that's why Canadian Tire does it, but that is the reason some other stores do it.

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

tendrilsfor20 posted:

A medley. It can have two or more songs playing concurrently to the same beat. The La Resistance Medley in SP:BLU is an excellent example of that.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

BlueBayou posted:

My dad is really into sci-fi shows with multiple dimensions and I heard about a show called Charlie Jade that seems to fit the bill.

But it doesnt seem to have ever been released in the US, so I'm wondering what is the best legal way to get a DVD or legal digital version of this show to my dad here in the USA given that it's not availible through netflix and there are regional blocks. :[

Region Free DVD player

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

tendrilsfor20 posted:

Yeah, gonna agree with Melicious: as far as I know, this doesn't have a specific term (although it might; I've only had undergrad theory). It's just some kind of counterpoint.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

WillieWestwood posted:

A medley. It can have two or more songs playing concurrently to the same beat. The La Resistance Medley in SP:BLU is an excellent example of that.
Thank you! Awesome, that is exactly the term I want.

Melicious
Nov 18, 2005

Ridonkulous posted:

I think you mean Round

No.

WillieWestwood posted:

But a medley has nothing to do with two singers singing at the same time on independent themes, which happens pretty often in music. I'm not familiar enough with The Producers to know whether or not the clip posted contains melodies previously highlighted in the musical, but a medley is really a stringing together of multiple themes/melodies that already existed. Those melodies can run concurrently or progressively, but just because there's two motives going on at the same doesn't make it a medley.

SlightButSteady
Sep 13, 2007

Soiled Meat
It's counterpoint. Vocal Counterpoint. Ockeghem was the master.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzBhYMvnMKQ

edit: Vocal Polyphony is another term.

SlightButSteady fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Mar 1, 2011

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Drimble Wedge posted:

I think it's for the same reason that they use turnstiles in subways: to allow people to enter in that area but not leave.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Why are you allowed to drink openly in a traincar but not outside of one? Is it not considered a wholly public place?

WHEEZY KISS A DUDE
Dec 28, 2000

ASK ME HOW TO GET FREE BEER!
(THE ANSWER IS "CHEATING GOONS OUT OF IT")

change my name posted:

Why are you allowed to drink openly in a traincar but not outside of one? Is it not considered a wholly public place?

If you're talking about something like Amtrak, then no, it's not a wholly public place. It's a privately owned entity. They may even have ABC-on permits for the entire train fleet.

The Amtrak stations are trickier, though. In some you can drink anywhere in the station while in others you can only drink in the restaurants that sell liquor.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

What does Monk fish taste like and what kind of restaurant would serve it?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

NESguerilla posted:

Asian restaurants will use it. It's pretty delicate as far as fish goes.

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

you're just thinking too much
I had it once. It might have been bad monkfish, I don't know, but it was mushy as hell and had no real taste. Not recommended, especially not for how expensive it seems to be (at least where I am, might be cheaper elsewhere).

nimh
Sep 18, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Images - Are they being blocked or a major host is down?

About 80% of posted images aren't coming through. No placeholder and page is done.
Took more that a second to realize what all the blank posts were.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

NESguerilla posted:

I've had them in American diners before, it's sometimes called Goosefish here in New England. I've seen it on the menu in a Thai place -but that was also in NE; the preparation sounded like it was the same way they did their haddock, pan-seared with a bunch of herbs and sauce. It really doesn't taste like much, other than what you put on it. Some people think it tastes like lobster, but I think that's just because they ate it like lobster – plainly cooked and served with drawn butter.

I had a friend that fished for them and he claimed that they went to Northern Europe and Japan where they were turned into imitation crab meat.

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:
Could anyone recommend a good data structures textbook that goes over basic things like stacks, queues, linked lists, etc? I'm not incredibly well-versed in the topic (currently in a data structures class, and not doing well, but understand what is being taught) so I'm looking for something that is easy to understand and maybe has some examples of implementation.

A friend recommended this to me as well as one of the O'Reily cookbooks that I have bookmarked somewhere. I saw a bunch of other highly rated books on amazon but are there any must-haves out there?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Mr.Hotkeys posted:

I had it once. It might have been bad monkfish, I don't know, but it was mushy as hell and had no real taste. Not recommended, especially not for how expensive it seems to be (at least where I am, might be cheaper elsewhere).

Gelatinous is one of those taste dimensions that is sought after in Chinese cooking. Examples:
wood ear, jellyfish, egg flan, thousand year old egg, pig ear, tripe, etc.

That monkfish is gelatinous or mushy isn't necessarily bad preparation. It should pick up flavor from the sauce, though.

Melicious
Nov 18, 2005

Very Strange Things posted:

I had a friend that fished for them and he claimed that they went to Northern Europe and Japan where they were turned into imitation crab meat.

I really doubt his claims considering monkfish is just as expensive as lobster in many markets, and the cheapest of the cheap whitefish is used for artificial crab.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surimi

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer
Is there a current snack exchange thread or something similar? I'd like to get a glass of Albertson's Crunchy Peanut Butter (if there is such a thing) sent over to Germany, but the last snack exchange thread is long gone I think.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

nimh posted:

Images - Are they being blocked or a major host is down?

About 80% of posted images aren't coming through. No placeholder and page is done.
Took more that a second to realize what all the blank posts were.

Which image host are you talking about? Waffleimages? Photobucket? Imgur? Attachments?

They all see to me working for me, make sure if you're not blocking them with Adblock or something, and if it's Waffleimages then, well, that's normal it seems.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

FLX posted:

Is there a current snack exchange thread or something similar? I'd like to get a glass of Albertson's Crunchy Peanut Butter (if there is such a thing) sent over to Germany, but the last snack exchange thread is long gone I think.

I am interested in this. I would kill for a bottle of Goober. Seriously that stuff was like crack for me as a child and it's been like 15 years since I've had it but they don't sell it in Canada anymore :(

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Melicious posted:

I really doubt his claims considering monkfish is just as expensive as lobster in many markets, and the cheapest of the cheap whitefish is used for artificial crab.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surimi

Don't loving question me.

Naw, you're right of course; I probably wasn't listening very closely and because he also used to fish in Alaska and caught pollock there.

ass is hometown
Jan 11, 2006

Is it common for states to have holds on purchases of new shotguns or rifles?
I know it is customary for hand guns.

Wyatt
Jul 7, 2009

NOOOOOOOOOO.

Ridonkulous posted:

Is it common for states to have holds on purchases of new shotguns or rifles?
I know it is customary for hand guns.

The majority of states do not impose a waiting period for any firearm purchase, even handguns.

ass is hometown
Jan 11, 2006

Wyatt posted:

The majority of states do not impose a waiting period for any firearm purchase, even handguns.

awesome.
thank you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

FLX posted:

An exchange thread was just opened up in GWS, coincidentally.