Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

keyframe posted:

Is it accurate to say this is the most violent tv show ever made?

It's up there, probably the most violent when it comes to modern/realistic. Rome and Spartacus are rather graphic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Right after I posted that I watched the season 3 episode where Vic pushes a bong halfway into the throat of some guy and then that guy rapes Asaveda

I was having lunch too :cry:

canadianclassic
Nov 3, 2004

Just started season 6 and Kavanaugh is still pissing me off... He's not doing anything worse than Vic has ever done (framing a murderer for a crime he didn't comit, just to get him off the street), but for some reason it makes me so much angrier... Probably just the connection that's been built with Vic for the last 5 seasons. But yeah if Kavanaugh, Shane and Vic all killed each other similtaneously I'd be okay with it.

when worlds collide
Mar 7, 2007

my feet firmly planted
on what, I do not know
It could also be the fact that Kavanaugh is a creepy fucker. There's something about him, his mannerisms maybe, that is repulsive without him needing to do much to back it up. At least for me. :)

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

when worlds collide posted:

It could also be the fact that Kavanaugh is a creepy fucker. There's something about him, his mannerisms maybe, that is repulsive without him needing to do much to back it up. At least for me. :)

Watch him in Last King of Scotland. He is amazing in that and he is full on crazy. Would you like some gum?

when worlds collide
Mar 7, 2007

my feet firmly planted
on what, I do not know

bobkatt013 posted:

Watch him in Last King of Scotland. He is amazing in that and he is full on crazy. Would you like some gum?

I haven't seen that, but it's been on my 'to watch' list. He almost makes my skin crawl, and that's talent. I've seen Ghost Dog but I don't remember it having any sort of effect on me other than 'well this moves kind of slow'.

I gotta wonder what the dude's like in real life.

canadianclassic
Nov 3, 2004

when worlds collide posted:

Yes, definitely. He seems so untrustworthy that it's almost a charicature. Just watched s6e2 and was very pleased with the turn of events. I wonder how long until Shane cracks one way or another...

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
ARE YOU HAPPY NOW? DETECTIVE MACKEY?

KillRoy
Dec 28, 2004
I many not go down in history but I'll go down on you sister.
I have to say, the ending of Season 5 should go down as one of the most pivotal scenes in TV history. I couldn't breathe through that entire sequence. Once you realize what is going to happen your just transfixed. The only thing that really comes close is the last scene of Breaking Bad season 3.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

keyframe posted:

Right after I posted that I watched the season 3 episode where Vic pushes a bong halfway into the throat of some guy and then that guy rapes Asaveda

Enjoy seeing this in every "Previously on The Shield" from that episode until... well you'll see.

HE MADE YOU..SUCK??? :suicide:

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
while the last scene in season 5 deserve gets a lot of praise here, i gotta say i think i may prefer a scene in the later half of season 7, specifically the scene where the guy shane hired to kill ronnie cracks during the interrogation. youve seen them barely get away with that kind of stuff so often before which makes the scene where one of them doesnt all the more exciting and intense.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

It never occurred to me how dumb this was when I originally watched it but in season 6 Julian goes from training officer to detective in 1 episode.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Just wondering, how does this show end? IE like with a whimper or with a bang?

I'm still in season 5, I'm just wondering.

The Rooster
Jul 25, 2004

If you've got white people problems I feel bad for you son
I've got 99 problems but being socially privileged ain't one

IRQ posted:

Bang

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

IRQ posted:

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY

IRQ posted:

The final season is one last huge hurrah to the series. Really, one of the best finale seasons I've ever seen.

Drewsky
Dec 29, 2010

keyframe posted:

Just now finished watching that episode. Holy poo poo.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005

IRQ posted:

The final 5 episodes you have developments in the characters & series status quo that a lesser show would have saved for a 2 hour series finale.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

IRQ posted:

It goes out with a KABOOM. It's seriously at the top of best series finales ever. There's no Sopranos debate about whether it was great or not, no BSG WTF moment, no Lost out of left-field weirdness, and it's more than just a closing montage (great as it might be) like SFU or The Wire. The writers knew well in advance how they were going to end things and how much time they had to do so, and it shows.

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD

Ratatozsk posted:

The writers knew well in advance how they were going to end things and how much time they had to do so, and it shows.
Yes and no. If you watch the DVD extras or interviews with the writers, they quite often weren't sure how things were going to end up until they were actually writing it for filming later in the week.

I mean, they knew some of the broadstrokes, but even those weren't planned out very far. I think Shawn Ryan said in an interview going into the final season that he was reasonably sure how a few characters and plots would ultimately end up, but by and large they didn't know what was going to happen much more than 4 episodes ahead of where they were writing. I think it gave them enough flexibility to see how their stories are playing out on screen before they were even finished coming up with the arc.

I think there are two great side-effects of this style: 1) their ability to weave A-plots (arcing over a season) with B and C plots (plots that last 1-3 episodes or are intermittent), and 2) it's hard to accurately predict what will happen next, since things can always play out in a variety of ways, which really ratchets up the tension.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Season 6 is soooo loving good. Ep 3 "Back to One" is some kind of amazing.

It has
The end of Kavanaugh
Dutch, Billings and Ronnie teaming up
Ronnie being a badass without even trying
Billings being a badass
motherfucking CHANG from Community shows up for like 5 seconds
Vic beating Guardo with a goddamn heavy link chain

This season is so emotional too, after this episode Vic runs into that crew of one niners trying to jump out and are getting killed on the street so he tries to save the last few. One niners offer a truce if Vic and his guys give up the defactors' ringleader, Vic tries to save him, fails, has a break down while sobbing Lem's name, then goes absolutely berserk in the hospital waiting room.

Before Kavanaugh showed up, the show was pretty much just trashy fun, but once Forest Whitaker hopped on, the show jumped up to this whole other level.

canadianclassic
Nov 3, 2004

:tviv: :siren: Season 7 Episode 12 done. That episode was amazing. I thought Vic was getting set up by the feds to confess so they could arrest him... I didn't think he'd really get full immunity.

I'm considering skipping this afternoon's class to see whats gonna happen... This is going to be a hell of a finale one way or another.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

HOLY poo poo! Just finished the show and I really can't believe what I just watched. The ending was so perfect, having Vic survive it all, having to live for the rest of his life knowing that he'd destroyed, betrayed, and ruined everyone who had ever trusted or loved him, was the best fate for him. My favorite bit was how Ronnie got dragged out. We had seven seasons of him being the rock of the team, never losing control and always having Vic's back no matter what, only to be betrayed and thrown to the dogs. Seeing those years of pent up anger and betrayal come out all at once was awesome.

Wartime Consigliere
Mar 27, 2010

by T. Fine
It's great to read reactions from people just starting or ending the series because it is an awesome ride. What a show.

canadianclassic
Nov 3, 2004

Gangringo posted:

HOLY poo poo! Just finished the show and I really can't believe what I just watched. The ending was so perfect, having Vic survive it all, having to live for the rest of his life knowing that he'd destroyed, betrayed, and ruined everyone who had ever trusted or loved him, was the best fate for him. My favorite bit was how Ronnie got dragged out. We had seven seasons of him being the rock of the team, never losing control and always having Vic's back no matter what, only to be betrayed and thrown to the dogs. Seeing those years of pent up anger and betrayal come out all at once was awesome.

I just finished the other day, too. It's hard to feel good about the ending but it was definitely a good ending, if that makes sense -- The entire strike team is either dead or in jail (vic would probably have more fun in jail), Corrine and the kids are gone, never to see vic again. Shane's family is dead. Claudette is dying, and Dutch's worst suspicions about the world turn out to be true...

Some discussion about earlier in the show: What'd you guys think Dutch was feeling when he killed the cat in his yard? Do you think he was just too curious about what it felt like to kill something, and felt he needed to do it to be a better detective; or, do you think he actually has a "killer instinct" himself?

Drewsky
Dec 29, 2010

Just started S4. The New captain situation and the Strike Team being split up are kind of hard to get used to. Dying to see where it's going though.

Wartime Consigliere
Mar 27, 2010

by T. Fine

Drewsky posted:

Just started S4. The New captain situation and the Strike Team being split up are kind of hard to get used to. Dying to see where it's going though.

I didn't like that, it felt wrong for the Strike Team to be split up.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Drewsky posted:

I felt that way too, but season 4 quickly became totally loving awesome to me.

I hope this show makes its way to Netflix Canada soon. Is it on in the US?

TUS
Feb 19, 2003

I'm going to stab you. Offline. With a real knife.

Drewsky posted:

It's going to be tough to watch Anthony Anderson in any comedy after you finish S4.

Drewsky
Dec 29, 2010

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I felt that way too, but season 4 quickly became totally loving awesome to me.

I hope this show makes its way to Netflix Canada soon. Is it on in the US?

Nope. Season 5 and 6 (I think) were on for a while, but then they were taken down and I haven't heard anything else. I wish the whole series would go up, it would make running through this series a lot easier.

SneakySneaks
Feb 11, 2006

canadianclassic posted:

Some discussion about earlier in the show: What'd you guys think Dutch was feeling when he killed the cat in his yard? Do you think he was just too curious about what it felt like to kill something, and felt he needed to do it to be a better detective; or, do you think he actually has a "killer instinct" himself?

I always thought he was too horrified with himself to even rationally digest it. It was the only real violent act we've seen or even suppose he committed. I think realized he's capable of murder but is too much of a good person to do anything about it. Also don't worry about Dutch's world view, there's a reason why the actors wife was cast as the attorney that gave him her number at the end.

SneakySneaks fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Mar 7, 2011

Drewsky
Dec 29, 2010

SneakySneaks posted:

I always thought he was too horrified with himself to even rationally digest it. It was the only real violent act we've seen or even suppose he committed. I think realized he's capable of murder but is too much of a good person to do anything about it. Also don't worry about Dutch's world view, there's a reason why the actors wife was cast as the attorney that gave him her number at the end.

I saw it as him desperately wanting to understand why a murderer does what he does. Dutch fancies himself the best detective in the barn in most ways, and he's the go to guy for profiling and the like, but he could just not get through to the serial killer. In fact the serial killer straight up told him, "You can't help me." in effect telling him he didn't understand him.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Wartime Consigliere posted:

I didn't like that, it felt wrong for the Strike Team to be split up.

I've always thought the Strike Team were the least interesting characters on the show, so I didn't mind that they were trying different things with them.

Julian's character arc in S4 is a complete bust, though, it seemed pretty obvious that the writers had no clue what to do with him at that point.

Wartime Consigliere
Mar 27, 2010

by T. Fine

Fag Boy Jim posted:

I've always thought the Strike Team were the least interesting characters on the show, so I didn't mind that they were trying different things with them.

Julian's character arc in S4 is a complete bust, though, it seemed pretty obvious that the writers had no clue what to do with him at that point.

I didn't mind the trying different things aspect, but they were like the Beatles, and Mara Yoko Ono'd them.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I didn't mind the trying different things aspect, but they were like the Beatles, and Mara Yoko Ono'd them.

I thought that, but I think that's what you're supposed to feel. Besides, without Mara (near-ending spoilers) that double homicide-suicide ending wouldn't have happened. That was perfect in an absolutely horrible and depressing way.

TUS
Feb 19, 2003

I'm going to stab you. Offline. With a real knife.

And after the way S3 ended, I'm kinda shocked some people expected the team to stay together at the start of S4.

Drewsky
Dec 29, 2010

Yeah, only difference is Mackey is definitely Lennon to Shane's McCartney.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Drewsky posted:

Yeah, only difference is Mackey is definitely Lennon to Shane's McCartney.

Furthering this, I guess Lem would be George, and Ronnie is Ringo?

Aceveda is definitely no George Martin.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Furthering this, I guess Lem would be George, and Ronnie is Ringo?

Aceveda is definitely no George Martin.

Who is Pete Best, Tavon or Terry?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

I thought that, but I think that's what you're supposed to feel. Besides, without Mara (near-ending spoilers) that double homicide-suicide ending wouldn't have happened. That was perfect in an absolutely horrible and depressing way.

Mara pissed me off more than any other character on the show. All the enjoyment I felt to see Mara the oval office dead was negated by seeing that they poisoned Jackson, too & he's lying there holding his fire truck. You want to talk about "Jesus Christ..."

• Locked thread