Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NGL
Jan 15, 2003
AssKing

Lobok posted:

Can anybody recommend books or even videos online that I could watch to understand better the language of film? I'm not interested in making movies, I just want to be able to better understand the thought process behind shots. I do my own armchair analysis but I'd like to speed up my education instead of simply absorbing more movies and winging it.

If you haven't already, check out the Plinkett reviews at Red Letter Media are great for this, particularly the Star Wars ones. The guy who wrote them (whose name I can't recall offhand) really gets film as a medium and has a solid understanding of... cinematic grammar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

NGL posted:

If you haven't already, check out the Plinkett reviews at Red Letter Media are great for this, particularly the Star Wars ones. The guy who wrote them (whose name I can't recall offhand) really gets film as a medium and has a solid understanding of... cinematic grammar.

I've done the first two actually and haven't yet found the time for RotS.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

Lobok posted:

Can anybody recommend books or even videos online that I could watch to understand better the language of film? I'm not interested in making movies, I just want to be able to better understand the thought process behind shots. I do my own armchair analysis but I'd like to speed up my education instead of simply absorbing more movies and winging it.

Bordwell and Thompson's Film Art: An Introduction is almost universally used for intro film classes, and if you are starting out you could do a lot, lot worse than this book.

Plus, because it is so common you can buy it dirt cheap online used, as thousands of students try to get rid of it each semester.

Edit: Also, Hitchcock by Truffaut is always informative and worthwhile, and would allow you to hear two masters discuss all of the choices and thought processes behind just about every Hitchcock film. Like Bordwell and Thompson, it is assigned in so many film classes that there are plenty of cheap used copies floating around online.

Edit2: Looks like The audio for the Truffaut interviews are available for free. I'm going to hop on these tomorrow.

Voodoofly fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Mar 1, 2011

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Charles Laughton Directs The Night of the Hunter is the best "how to" for direction. It's the entire film reconstructed from outtakes, but you can see how performances were fine tuned between takes and even hear Laughton directing.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Film as Film by VF Perkins is one of my favorites. It's short and well organized.
Film Directing Shot by Shot by Steve Katz is a terrific, visually-orienting overview of film structure.

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!
What is the reason for the disclaimer usually found at the beginning of director/actor commentaries on DVD's that are usually along the lines of "The views expressed in these commentary tracks do not reflect the views of the publishing company and are to be considered personal views only"? Was there a specific incident where something was said that prompted the disclaimer for all future commentaries?

csidle
Jul 31, 2007

InfiniteZero posted:

What is your reasoning for only buying movies made after 2009 on BluRay? Is it just arbitrary? New format for new films?
I just hadn't thought it through; in reality, it's more of a "any movie I buy Feb 2011 onwards, I buy in Bluray (if availible)" thing than a 2010 onwards thing. So what you pointed out is pretty valid.

Bobfromsales
Apr 2, 2010
What would be a good resource for someone who knows very little about film to start learning about cameras, film, and cinematography?

Basically I want to know why different movies look the way they do.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Alris posted:

What is the reason for the disclaimer usually found at the beginning of director/actor commentaries on DVD's that are usually along the lines of "The views expressed in these commentary tracks do not reflect the views of the publishing company and are to be considered personal views only"? Was there a specific incident where something was said that prompted the disclaimer for all future commentaries?

I'm guessing it's just a standard cover your rear end thing, but if it's not I'd like to hear the story too.

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...
While watching E.T., I just noticed that when Elliot's mom drags him away from E.T., he's screaming "You don't know him! You don't know him!" Ray Winstone shouts this exact same thing about Indy in Crystal Skull. Does this happen in any other Spielberg movies, or is it just a coincidence/pointless callback?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Jay Dub posted:

While watching E.T., I just noticed that when Elliot's mom drags him away from E.T., he's screaming "You don't know him! You don't know him!" Ray Winstone shouts this exact same thing about Indy in Crystal Skull. Does this happen in any other Spielberg movies, or is it just a coincidence/pointless callback?

Maybe Spielberg is a big fan of trashy daytime talk shows like Springer, Montel, etc. That phrase comes up a lot.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Lobok posted:

Bobfromsales posted:

What would be a good resource for someone who knows very little about film to start learning about cameras, film, and cinematography?

Basically I want to know why different movies look the way they do.

A good book for both of you is Sidney Lumet's Making Movies.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

scary ghost dog posted:

Thanks. Gonna recommend this to my friend too as he wants to learn how a movie comes to be.

And thanks Voodoofly for the textbook recommendation. I've got a friend who went to film school so maybe he has it or something like it still lying around. (And if you're wondering why I simply didn't ask him in the first place it's because he's halfway around the world.)

penismightier posted:

Film Directing Shot by Shot by Steve Katz is a terrific, visually-orienting overview of film structure.

Saw this one in the book store actually. Not completely sold on it because it looked like a lot of sketches rather than real examples, but I'll check it out again.

Lobok fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Mar 1, 2011

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
My BR upgrade plan is pretty much this; except my very favorite stuff, i'm not allowed to buy a BR of something I have on DVD until i get rid of the DVD. I've already sold off about 25% of my DVD collection.

Stuff I don't own on DVD i have free reign on. My very favorite stuff I can buy freely, but much of it is either not available on BR yet or I have a special edition that you can't get on BR. I was really annoyed to discover JJtrek's SE isn't available on BR anymore.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

penismightier posted:

Can we officially declare Ed Wood the best Tim Burton movie?

Not while Pee Wee's Big Adventure exists! I actually still need to see Ed Wood

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

Lobok posted:

Thanks. Gonna recommend this to my friend too as he wants to learn how a movie comes to be.

And thanks Voodoofly for the textbook recommendation. I've got a friend who went to film school so maybe he has it or something like it still lying around. (And if you're wondering why I simply didn't ask him in the first place it's because he's halfway around the world.)

I thought about it again. Hitchcock by Truffaut is still the single best book I can think of to understand film (from many different angles).

But if you can grab a book from your friend, do it. It sounds like you are already learning on your own, so any book will help strengthen your own appreciation. If you disagree with the book, just go to the next chapter.

quote:

Saw this one in the book store actually. Not completely sold on it because it looked like a lot of sketches rather than real examples, but I'll check it out again.

Katz is a great writer. I'm not sure I've read this particular book, but I've read a few excerpts from books of his before, and all were worthwhile (gotta love those old xeroxed college book readers stealing from everywhere).

scary ghost dog posted:

This is a great book for anyone who wants to understand the process of making movies, or who wants to read a great book. I definitely second. Only reason I left it off was it looked like the first person wanted more of a theory book.

Again, though, I'm sticking with Hitchcock by Truffaut as the best book to read. I still think of passages from that book all of the time when I think about movies. Plus, they are both funny guys.

m0therfux0r
Oct 11, 2007

me.
In response to all the Blu-Ray stuff on the past few pages:

If a movie (new or re-release) comes out that you want on Blu-Ray, check half.com for it. In the store they're always stupidly expensive (25-30 dollars), but usually you can find sealed copies on there for 12-15 bucks (the price of a normal DVD).

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

Power of Pecota posted:

Not while Pee Wee's Big Adventure exists! I actually still need to see Ed Wood

I have seen Ed Wood, and while I liked it, it pales in comparison to Pee Wee.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E88HEuwInno

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.

Twin Cinema posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E88HEuwInno

You are wrong.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZbLFXqhbQM

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Pee-Wee's Big Adventure is great, but Ed Wood and Big Fish are Tim Burton's best films.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
I refuse to believe that any of this is true.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Twin Cinema posted:

My favorite too. Probably because I saw it at such a young age. Of course there are still some of his I need to see. It could be a movie I'd find dumb if I saw it for the first time as an adult. I have a lot of those.

Twisted Sister: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pbrk3yhNpo
The Dream: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7kw0WiUB5c

I saw this movie as a four year old. I still haven't fully recovered. Francis is the real devil.

Zogo fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Mar 2, 2011

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

m0therfux0r posted:

In response to all the Blu-Ray stuff on the past few pages:

If a movie (new or re-release) comes out that you want on Blu-Ray, check half.com for it. In the store they're always stupidly expensive (25-30 dollars), but usually you can find sealed copies on there for 12-15 bucks (the price of a normal DVD).

Is there any sort of promotion or deal to get free shipping? Otherwise, the added price of shipping really only makes it even to Deep Discount, Amazon or Wal-Mart.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Definitely Ed Wood for me. I've never got the love for Pee Wee, largely because I'm from the UK and have no real affinity for that character so it's somewhat lost on me.

'Ed Wood' feels like the only time Burton made something that wasn't 'Tim Burton'. Seeing as he's gone back to the well so many times I wonder how he feels about that film. Thematically it fits perfectly with the rest of his films, but stylistically is massive removed from anything else he's done. I genuinely don't think we'll see anything like that from him again - sadly that College Humour video hit his whole shtick on the head.

http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1929453

Can we agree that 'Charlie and the Chocolate Factory' is his worst film? And probably Depp's worst performance.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

DrVenkman posted:

Can we agree that 'Charlie and the Chocolate Factory' is his worst film? And probably Depp's worst performance.
I'd be surprised if Planet of the Apes didn't top that poll.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Cerv posted:

I'd be surprised if Planet of the Apes didn't top that poll.

The worst crime that film commits is that it's staggeringly mediocre. It's bland and soulless yes. But it isn't an affront to Cinema like Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. I mean really, how do you gently caress that up?

m0therfux0r
Oct 11, 2007

me.

Red posted:

Is there any sort of promotion or deal to get free shipping? Otherwise, the added price of shipping really only makes it even to Deep Discount, Amazon or Wal-Mart.

I've never really tried it. You definitely can save money if the movie is brand new- I specifically remember gigantic displays when Despicable Me first came out on Blu-Ray costing like 28-35 dollars depending on the package, and I just checked Amazon, which has it for 28 with free shipping. Half.com has it for around 15 with 3 or so dollar shipping, so that's still a substantial amount of money to save.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

DrVenkman posted:

So you haven't seen Alice in Wonderland I take it?

Ed Wood is great, and the scene when Ed meets Orson Welles in a bar is just brilliant.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
It may not be his best, but my favorite Tim Burton film will always be Mars Attacks!.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

DrVenkman posted:

It's more honest to the book than the earlier chocolate factory movie, both in specifics and spirit.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

cheerfullydrab posted:

It's more honest to the book than the earlier chocolate factory movie, both in specifics and spirit.

It's still a really lovely film though.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

scary ghost dog posted:

It may not be his best, but my favorite Tim Burton film will always be Mars Attacks!.

Oh! I forgot about that. I do love that film, actually.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

cheerfullydrab posted:

Oh I agree it is. I'm not even a big fan of the original, but Gene Wilder was loving brilliant. He taps into the idea that to do what Wonka does you have to be just a little insane. There's something dangerous about his performance. It's a shame Dahl supposedly didn't like Wilder in the role, because I thought it would've suited his sensibilities. For his part Depp just...gently caress I don't even know what he was thinking. He basically went in completely the opposite direction.

While the Burton version is entirely more faithful, in that it contains moments and scenes from the original book, it's still a mess of gaudy set design, staggeringly bad performances and lacklustre staging. It's nowhere near as 'fun' as Burton seems to think it is.

As to the other poster. I'd completely forgotten that Alice In Wonderland even existed. Now I'm just conflicted...

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
If Tim Burton produced movies count, then his best movie is definitely Cabin Boy. No one ever seems to agree with me on that one, though.

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.

cheerfullydrab posted:

I don't recall the book turning Willy Wonka into Michael Jackson.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

Binowru posted:

I don't recall the book turning Willy Wonka into Michael Jackson.

He didn't go round quoting Wilde and Shakespeare either.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP
What are some first films by well-known filmmakers that are admittedly bad or even disowned? For instance Tarantino's My Best Friend's Birthday, James Cameron's Piranha II, and Woody Allen's What's Up Tiger Lily?.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

codyclarke posted:

What are some first films by well-known filmmakers that are admittedly bad or even disowned? For instance Tarantino's My Best Friend's Birthday, James Cameron's Piranha II, and Woody Allen's What's Up Tiger Lily?.

David Fincher was upset with studio interference on Alien 3. Stanley Kubrick also wrote off Fear and Desire, his first narrative feature.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

I had no idea What's Up, Tiger Lily was disowned, although it makes sense after watching it with some friends a few months ago. Jesus, that was painful to sit through.

If you want to go with a classic, Bill Cosby starred/produced/co-wrote Leonard Part 6 and told audiences not to waste their money on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

codyclarke posted:

Have you seen Woody Allen's Scoop?