Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Stabitha posted:

Was the Skullboy in the video this dude that has the Skeleton tattoos? http://www.bizarremag.com/weird-news/tattoos-body-art/7173/zombie_boy.html

If so, I'm glad he's getting work despite his crazy tattoos.

He's getting work because of his crazy tattoos. He was basically the star of the Mugler show where Gaga premiered that Scheiße remix -- inspired to have the guy in a video that's all about celebrating the expression of individual identity, actually

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neena
May 11, 2007

No male will ever handle my massive CoX!
Wait, I meant boobs! Wait!
FISTS, Shit!

Stabitha posted:

Was the Skullboy in the video this dude that has the Skeleton tattoos? http://www.bizarremag.com/weird-news/tattoos-body-art/7173/zombie_boy.html

If so, I'm glad he's getting work despite his crazy tattoos.

Yes, he's her stylist's new muse. http://www.needlesandsins.com/2011/01/skullboy-is-new-fashion-muse.html He was in the Mugler runway show where the Schiesse remix premiered too.

e; CharlieFoxtrot :argh: Are you going to be writing an article on this video, btw? I hope you are :3:

Neena fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Feb 28, 2011

kyat
Jul 30, 2008
This video is just about as good as Bad Romance.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
The video is certainly something. It is darkly fascinating.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

This video was everything I'd hoped for and more. God I love this woman. Can't wait to see her touring this album. Also, there seemed to be a lot of 3D elements in this video - the rotating flowers and so on - a possible 3DTV version in the works maybe?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Neena posted:

e; CharlieFoxtrot :argh: Are you going to be writing an article on this video, btw? I hope you are :3:

I am working on something, yes. (I figured out my thesis when I noticed Gaga's machine guns made the sound of church bells)

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
:toot:

This video has some great .gif material.

da anime bulldog
Sep 14, 2004

My idea of helping people.
My kingdom for some high-res screencaps. Where do I find these?

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood
I really don't know if I prefer dressed up gaga or nearly naked gaga. Her body looks banging, but she wears her clothes so well too.

9goats dead
Mar 25, 2010

BEAUTIFUL! GORGEOUS! EXCITING!
That was loving amazing. Easily the best video she's ever done, IMO.

Neena
May 11, 2007

FISTS, Shit!

angerbot posted:

:toot:

This video has some great .gif material.

yes it does :snoop:

Man, the more I watch this video, the more I love it and notice about it. She was barefoot throughout all the dancing which must be some kind of first. And I didn't realize that about the gunshots/church bells, pretty awesome.

snail goat
Dec 12, 2006

you shouldnt doubt yourself
you know more about goats than you give yourself credit for
I think that's going to become my favorite video, as well. I think my favorite part was near the end when all the dancers were in that brown/white pudding/paint stuff. As if they were blending all races into one :3:

legsarerequired
Dec 31, 2007
College Slice
The more I watch this video, the more I completely enjoy it.

My problem with "be yourself" anthems like "Born This Way" is that they tend to ignore that the well-being of society depends on each of its units being able to cooperate and work together. It's a really nitpicky and anal thing, but I just get so annoyed by well-meaning nerds and self-absorbed divas who get way too wrapped up in their esoteric quirks to contribute meaningfully to their circles in society (as a friend, volunteer, family member, etc.), and certain songs tend to remind me of that vendetta. Again, yeah, I know I just get way too anal about that.

Then I saw this video. This video is full of really extreme people finding ways to get along (the Janus-faced mother monster, the two zombies, etc) and use their strengths to create something beautiful, without excuses. It's corny, but I really love it.

I also really, really love the Lady Gaga and dancer sperms and the birth motifs throughout the whole vid. The contrast between the super-femme mother monster/her eggs and the veiny black globe/swimming and writing sperm dancers/lady with a machine gun shooting white doves seems to underscore the potential for beauty when beings from two extremes to come together and create.

When I first saw the video, I thought it seemed really Britney Spears-ish, but the more I watch it the more I realize that I've never seen yonic imagery like this in any music video or commercial.

Then you have the only actual couple in the video--two rather masculine zombies, who overcome two complete differences in their temperaments to get along.

I just can't figure out what the unicorn and the white-gloved rider have to do with anything else of the other themes that I saw in the video. I saw so much dualism in this video, but these two just don't seem related to anything.

EDIT: I think my favorite costume is the little creature that finds out she's the only sentient, bodied egg of all of Mother Monster's eggs! The zippers at her titties and vag just made me giggle. I don't think there were any costumes in this video that were as iconic as Fame and Fame Monster era stuff, but it was all ridiculously pretty.

I just think this video is so interesting, and I apologize if this post is a bit much! :ohdear: That's what I get for watching this video six times.

legsarerequired fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Mar 1, 2011

tuckfard
Dec 9, 2003

Just chillin

Mediant posted:

I guess I'm the odd man out. I wasn't a fan of this one. The opening was interesting, but the rest just didn't work for me.

I'm with you. Not a fan at all.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

Holy poo poo, Gaga in flip-flops.
I love the end, her just blowing a bubble, wide-eyed in the facepaint :3:

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate
I didn't like this really. It's soooo over the top with the gayness. It's just too much. Then again, I wasn't a fan of the song to begin with.

I mean I liked Alejandro, even though it I kinda had a wtf reaction when I first saw it. But this is just way too weird for me.

The purple triangle and unicorn with the rainbow thing at the beginning and end. God. Overkill.

Maximusi fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Mar 1, 2011

Neena
May 11, 2007

FISTS, Shit!

legsarerequired posted:

When I first saw the video, I thought it seemed really Britney Spears-ish, but the more I watch it the more I realize that I've never seen yonic imagery like this in any music video or commercial.

I just can't figure out what the unicorn and the white-gloved rider have to do with anything else of the other themes that I saw in the video. I saw so much dualism in this video, but these two just don't seem related to anything.

EDIT: I think my favorite costume is the little creature that finds out she's the only sentient, bodied egg of all of Mother Monster's eggs! The zippers at her titties and vag just made me giggle. I don't think there were any costumes in this video that were as iconic as Fame and Fame Monster era stuff, but it was all ridiculously pretty.

Yep, I noticed this the second time around. Look familiar:

Click here for the full 1366x768 image.

Maybe I've just had an association with the unicorn since her tattoo/the image she released on New Years, but I wasn't surprised to see it in there. Hell she was talking about unicorns being her favorite mythological creature way back in the Showstudio interview she did last year.

It felt like this video deliberately didn't have a whole lot of "costumes" (minus the Mother Monster space creature and the zipper suit of course). The suit, the bra + panties, even her dancers' outfits were pretty much just clothes.

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

How many times must I remind you to WASH YOUR HANDS?

Maximusi posted:

I didn't like this really. It's soooo over the top with the gayness. It's just too much. Then again, I wasn't a fan of the song to begin with.

I mean I liked Alejandro, even though it I kinda had a wtf reaction when I first saw it. But this is just way too weird for me.

The purple triangle and unicorn with the rainbow thing at the beginning and end. God. Overkill.

Born this way is definitely weird, but it's "aliens swimming in afterbirth" weird. I don't think I'd call it gay, especially not moreso than Alejandro. If anything it has way more feminine imagery.

On another note, I liked this bit. They look like a pile of kittens. :3:

Adorable, bony, alien kittens.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

Maximusi posted:

Aside from the giant pink triangles at the beginning and end and the actual lyrics of the song, gayness was pretty much the last thing I got from the video. Way more vaginal/birth imagery. That's what I like about Gaga, any other artist probably would have went the obvious route and made it a big gay dance party (not that's there's anything wrong with that).

ColobusMonkey
Jan 23, 2005

I kinda hated Born this Way until I watched that mv. Kind of mesmerizing to watch.

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate
The vagina birthing stuff made me CRINGE.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Like all Gaga videos, I'll need to watch it another half-dozen times to figure out how the gently caress I feel about. Right now, though: :stare:

realqueenbetty
Nov 2, 2005

And then swing your swift sword, sister
Swing your swift sword now
Swing your swift sword, sister, sister
Swing your swift sword now
What a nutty-rear end bitch.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.
Is it just me or does her voice say "church" at 5:19 in this video, but not in the original song?

edit- Nevermind, its in the original too.

Lord Krangdar fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Mar 1, 2011

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

Neena posted:

Yep, I noticed this the second time around. Look familiar:

Click here for the full 1366x768 image.

Maybe I've just had an association with the unicorn since her tattoo/the image she released on New Years, but I wasn't surprised to see it in there. Hell she was talking about unicorns being her favorite mythological creature way back in the Showstudio interview she did last year.

It felt like this video deliberately didn't have a whole lot of "costumes" (minus the Mother Monster space creature and the zipper suit of course). The suit, the bra + panties, even her dancers' outfits were pretty much just clothes.

It really looks like a uterus to me, makes sense with the birthing theme.

VolumeOverTalent
Jan 27, 2006

There's a load of Gaga shirts on play.com now for £5 each. Just bought this one. I will wear it with pride and I will give no gently caress.

http://www.play.com/Clothing/T-Shir...urlrefer=search

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
I didn't like this song at all until the video.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755
Yikes. Hopefully "Judas" is a return to form, because "Born This Way" was abysmal from the ground level up.

If anything, the video is a bigger disappointment; instead of going avant garde, the production instead goes to a level of wholesale culture appropriation that would make Hype Williams blush. Pulling "inspiration" from HR Giger, Xanadu, and The Wiz along with some real obvious shoutouts to Madonna make it pretty pathetic.

Wormophile
Jul 22, 2007

me am fun
I always thought this song was weak. Absolutely loved the video though - Resurrection was always my favourite alien movie, so obviously I'm a sucker for crazy birth themes.

Matlock posted:

Yikes. Hopefully "Judas" is a return to form, because "Born This Way" was abysmal from the ground level up.

If anything, the video is a bigger disappointment; instead of going avant garde, the production instead goes to a level of wholesale culture appropriation that would make Hype Williams blush. Pulling "inspiration" from HR Giger, Xanadu, and The Wiz along with some real obvious shoutouts to Madonna make it pretty pathetic.

Gaga videos of the past have plenty of cultural references though :confused:

Alejandro was practically a vogue tribute, paparazzi was full of melanie pullenesque high fashion crime scenes and Telephone is killbill crossed with thelma and louise. She's used Giger before as well. Those are the only ones I can think of off the top of my head (and I'm an ignoramus) but referencing poo poo in her videos is kind of what she does...

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Wormophile posted:

Alejandro was practically a vogue tribute, paparazzi was full of melanie pullenesque high fashion crime scenes and Telephone is killbill crossed with thelma and louise. She's used Giger before as well. Those are the only ones I can think of off the top of my head (and I'm an ignoramus) but referencing poo poo in her videos is kind of what she does...

Bad Romance may as well have been directed by the ghost of Stanley Kubrick. There were also Metropolis references all over in Paparazzi. And Love Game was very Michael Jackson-esque (specifically Bad). None of these are a bad thing, and are in fact one of the reasons I enjoy most of her videos so much.

I'm not a huge fan of the Born This Way video though, but that's because a good chunk of it is nothing but her and back up dancers in a boring black void. The beginning shows promise, and there are a few cool things in it (zipper suit, some of the skull boy/girl stuff) but the majority of it didn't live up to those moments of crazy.

Vince MechMahon fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Mar 1, 2011

Thrust On Moore
Jul 13, 2010

She keeps coming closer,
Saying "I can feel it in my bones.
Schizophrenia,
Is taking me home."
So I was discussing with my sister about how Gaga uses "orient" and "chola" in the song. After doing some research, it became pretty evident that she was referring to the Chola dynasty that spanned from 300 BC to 1300 AD, given the "descent" part of the phrase. However, the usage of the word Orient seemed to spark more furious debate. According to Wikipedia (or the sources it cites), it's "officially" considered offensive in Canada, but not the US, UK and Australia.

I think what I just don't get is, what's so offensive about using Orient as a general all-inclusive term. When I think of Orient, I think of oriental rugs, furniture and exotic architecture that should be considered points of pride, not an offensive term. I do think that referring to a specific person or small group as Orient (or Asian, even!) is offensive, but she clearly meant to use it to cover a large body of people, and because it rhymed with descent.

So, Goons, I ask: Were any of you seriously bothered by her using Orient, or do you think it's forgivable?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Orient is still used to describe the area. I don't see how it's any more offensive than calling people from Denmark/Norway/Sweden "Scandinavian" or everyone from France/England/etc. "European". Sure, you could be more specific, but it's a quick catch all term for people who live in a certain area of the world.

Orunitier
Dec 5, 2010

Wormophile posted:

I always thought this song was weak. Absolutely loved the video though - Resurrection was always my favourite alien movie, so obviously I'm a sucker for crazy birth themes.

Gaga videos of the past have plenty of cultural references though :confused:

Yeah, it's kinda her "thing". God forbid Gaga sticks to a theme.:rolleyes: Her stylist is now the creative director for Mugler. The fashion collection is obviously inspired by Giger. Rico the Skeleton Guy is the muse, Gaga's the musical director, etc. This video partly an homage to the Alien series, that came about through her collaboration with Mugler.

edit: As to the Orient reference, I believe it's used in reference to objects. Sooo...I can see why it's perceived as offensive. It's pretty much an out-of-date term that doesn't need to be used anymore (when referring to people). It's like calling black people negroes, or saying Afro-American.

Orunitier fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Mar 1, 2011

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession
God help me, I cannot tell if this post is a joke or not but I'll give it the benefit of the doubt.

Thrust On Moore posted:

So I was discussing with my sister about how Gaga uses "orient" and "chola" in the song. After doing some research, it became pretty evident that she was referring to the Chola dynasty that spanned from 300 BC to 1300 AD, given the "descent" part of the phrase.
That seems like an awfully obscure reference when "chola" already commonly refers to members of a Latina subculture.

quote:

However, the usage of the word Orient seemed to spark more furious debate. According to Wikipedia (or the sources it cites), it's "officially" considered offensive in Canada, but not the US, UK and Australia.

I think what I just don't get is, what's so offensive about using Orient as a general all-inclusive term. When I think of Orient, I think of oriental rugs, furniture and exotic architecture that should be considered points of pride, not an offensive term. I do think that referring to a specific person or small group as Orient (or Asian, even!) is offensive, but she clearly meant to use it to cover a large body of people, and because it rhymed with descent.

So, Goons, I ask: Were any of you seriously bothered by her using Orient, or do you think it's forgivable?
I wasn't too bothered but I thought it was a weird and outdated word to use. It's particularly odd because she's ostensibly trying to be inclusive while specifically using a term that describes a set of people only by their relation to Europe/the US/Western culture.

Orunitier posted:

edit: As to the Orient reference, I believe it's used in reference to objects.
That's not really why it's considered offensive, that's another meaning of the word. "Orient" in the sense of referring to east Asia specifically means "East", which is part of why it's considered politically incorrect, because it implies the speaker is only perceiving them from their relation to Europe/the West.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Orunitier posted:

It's like calling black people negroes, or saying Afro-American.

It's really silly to find that kind of thing racist, though. Intent is what matters. An old term doesn't suddenly become racist just because a slightly more descriptive one was invented.

Thrust On Moore
Jul 13, 2010

She keeps coming closer,
Saying "I can feel it in my bones.
Schizophrenia,
Is taking me home."

het posted:

That seems like an awfully obscure reference when "chola" already commonly refers to members of a Latina subculture.

It kind of is, but "chola descent" also doesn't really make a lot of sense in that context versus a dynasty that lasted a millennium and and a half.

quote:

I wasn't too bothered but I thought it was a weird and outdated word to use. It's particularly odd because she's ostensibly trying to be inclusive while specifically using a term that describes a set of people only by their relation to Europe/the US/Western culture.

That's not really why it's considered offensive, that's another meaning of the word. "Orient" in the sense of referring to east Asia specifically means "East", which is part of why it's considered politically incorrect, because it implies the speaker is only perceiving them from their relation to Europe/the West.

Okay, that makes a lot more sense. Throughout the entire debate, she couldn't really explain why it was offensive, just that it was, and that it was wrong of Gaga. Although she also took issue with "don't be a drag, just be a queen", saying that it has nothing to actually do with drag queens, and could be perceived as anti-drag queen. But yeah, all in all, her using orient just reads as her looking for something that rhymed with descent, and flowed well. For me, it doesn't really ruin the song or anything.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
I've always heard "People are Asian. Things are oriental".
I don't think it's that offensive, it's just not considered proper.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

I really wish Lady Gaga was more politically correct.

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

Crows Turn Off posted:

I really wish Lady Gaga was more politically correct.

This should be the next thread title.

e:

Kinda want to buy this as an avatar.

Angryhead fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Mar 1, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Thrust On Moore posted:

It kind of is, but "chola descent" also doesn't really make a lot of sense in that context versus a dynasty that lasted a millennium and and a half.
Ehhh, I think that's a pretty big stretch to assume she's referring to a dynasty that a miniscule fraction of her fanbase has heard of when the word "chola" already has a commonly known meaning in popular culture.

• Locked thread