Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...

Final Gloom posted:

My crew sucks compared to yours, but I got the Arctic Hog and Ghost :cool:. Still, the Pink Hayabusa is crazy cool. I admit I am jealous.

Your guy second from the right is something I noticed in mine too. I think its even the same figure. One has a slightly longer "neck" than the other...

I'd have to see them in person but I might get the 'Hog and Mongoose sets, but thats about it...I'm not crazy about the other vehicles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Final Gloom
Sep 27, 2009
Yeah it's the same guy. I think he's supposed to be a Marine pilot and not a Spartan. I don't know why they made him taller. Sort of backwards.
I really like the flame thrower Spartan. The active camo one is supposed to be super rare, but you can't cheat for it because the design is identical to the visible one. Pretty sneaky, Mega Bloks :argh:
For the vehicles I was surprised by the number of pieces and the good design, but they're really not worth buying except for the minifigs and weapons. Once you assemble the sets they're just for look and Mega Bloks doesn't have enough terrain and structure sets to make anything serious out of the line. Lego does a much better job with sets. Still, the minifigs are basically just small action figures, which is awesome.

Also, I freakin love it when cool terrain and futuristic designs merge:

Check out the design on that armored vehicle and quarantine chamber.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

InfinEight posted:

Holy poo poo, another (delayed) MOC from me so soon? Say it ain't so!

More here or here. Trying to recreate the box-art made me miss Lego's old studio techniques. I loved those little space environments they made.

Everytime I see this, I miss my Deep Freeze Defender. I'd love to see some sort of faction/series reboots for those great old sets, even if we can't have magnets these days because kids swallow them or whatever.

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

What planet is this again?-- OH SHIT

Evek posted:

I've started making a small mech but I overestimated the arm size so its going to be bigger then I had hoped. Crappy cell phone pics:

Click here for the full 1024x612 image.

Click here for the full 1024x612 image.

I like it so far, the way you have the forearm setup looks like it has multiple modules built in for motor functions, etc. I wanted to find a way to make it smaller for you but I started to get carried away:

Anyway, keep fiddling and you'll get a good result.

Chronojam posted:

Everytime I see this, I miss my Deep Freeze Defender. I'd love to see some sort of faction/series reboots for those great old sets, even if we can't have magnets these days because kids swallow them or whatever.

Lego has teased us a whole bunch with the Space Police 3 line, putting Blacktron references all over the place. I think we're more likely to see a Blacktron redux than anything, but I would love to have a new Ice Planet theme. Just in case it doesn't happen, I might have another Ice Planet MOC in mind.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

InfinEight posted:

Holy poo poo, another (delayed) MOC from me so soon? Say it ain't so!

More here or here. Trying to recreate the box-art made me miss Lego's old studio techniques. I loved those little space environments they made.

My (still 100% intact :)) Deep Freeze Defender was one of the highlights of my youth, update owns. I do wish you'd kept the awesome garage door though.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

3 posted:

My (still 100% intact :)) Deep Freeze Defender was one of the highlights of my youth, update owns. I do wish you'd kept the awesome garage door though.
Mine's in a box somewhere at my mom's house, hopefully not too smashed up. Come to think of it, I've got a hell of a lot of LEGO sets in boxes are her house. Someday I'll dig them up.

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

3 posted:

I do wish you'd kept the awesome garage door though.

It'll always be around, waiting for the perfect MOC ;)

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love
So the MMV ended up taking me about four and a half hours.
My fingers are sore as hell.
Now that I have a couple of cows I might work on the slaughterhouse MOC I have been planning since I was 10.

Shuppiluliumas
Nov 9, 2006
Saw this on flickr:

More where that came from:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andy_0306uk/

Come to think of it, I'm surprised I don't see more optical illusions in Lego. It seems to work pretty well.

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

Shuppiluliumas posted:

Saw this on flickr:

More where that came from:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andy_0306uk/

Come to think of it, I'm surprised I don't see more optical illusions in Lego. It seems to work pretty well.

I've compared that image to the window of my browser about 10 times, and it still doesn't look like any of those lines are straight.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

A store near me had the Hogwarts Express and Toy Story 3 trains on sale for $60 each.

They no longer have them on sale :smugdog:

RedTeam
Feb 5, 2011

SHAZAM!
Got the Sumo and Rapper minifigs. The rapper is amazing, the sumo is sort of dull. He's just a naked guy with a trophy, whereas the rapper has all sorts of neat stuff and is really detailed.

Neither of them were what I expected they were though. Was pretty sure they were going to be an elf and a snowboarder. The dots are super hard to read, and what I thought was the elf dude's shield was probably a torso or one of the bases. I found myself being that guy, standing there for ages feeling up packets. Luckily the sales guy understood, he'd been trying to get a samurai for ages himself :unsmith:

I really want that alien and the cyborg though, so I'm not giving up! :downs:

Also got some sort of Atlantis crab monster thing for a fiver, which is pretty cool. Gonna make it fight with the scarab I got the other week.

Ries
Apr 14, 2003
Motorcycle
Is there a way I can find an old Lego catalog from the 90s online? I had one of those sets where there was 5 or 6 different things you could build on the box and one of them was a green and white truck/humvee. The set didn't come with any minifigs but the truck was the perfect size for them to fit inside. Looking on Bricklink isn't coming up with too much since I can't remember what it'd be under. Thanks.

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

InfinEight posted:

I've compared that image to the window of my browser about 10 times, and it still doesn't look like any of those lines are straight.

Try an image editing program. There's a slight fish-eye effect, but it's basically just raping your brain.

Shrike41
Jan 7, 2011
So now im to the point where I wish I had never read this post. I Have bought about 2 LEGO sets each week for the past 3 weeks or so. Luckily it was my sons birthday 2 days ago and he has recently been introduced to LEGO since I have read this thread.:)
He got the Star Wars Snowspeeder and Ice Cave which is a really cool set, and both the Star Wars snow minifig sets. And the White ninja Zane to finish off his Ninja minifig set. And now I have recently discovered the joys of the clearance isle. Got two fo the Space Police mini sets that have the squidhead guy and a little space bike for $1.50 each. I was happy. Thank you goons for ruining my wallet.

Shuppiluliumas
Nov 9, 2006

Ries posted:

Is there a way I can find an old Lego catalog from the 90s online? I had one of those sets where there was 5 or 6 different things you could build on the box and one of them was a green and white truck/humvee. The set didn't come with any minifigs but the truck was the perfect size for them to fit inside. Looking on Bricklink isn't coming up with too much since I can't remember what it'd be under. Thanks.

Do you mean like sales catalogs, or the actual instructions for that set? Either way, peeron probably has what you're looking for. There are instruction and catalog scans there, sorted by year.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Brickfactory also has catalog scans sorted by year, and they're a bit quicker than peeron and don't require registration.

Ries
Apr 14, 2003
Motorcycle
http://www.brickset.com/detail/?Set=715-1

Found it, not sure where I got green from but that set was badass, perfect size for minifigs, take off the roof of course.

Shuppiluliumas
Nov 9, 2006

My Lovely Horse posted:

Brickfactory also has catalog scans sorted by year, and they're a bit quicker than peeron and don't require registration.

So now I'm given a choice between massively annoying slow sleed and a cringe-inducing interface. Awesome. I'm just going to download all of them one of these days and have my own private database.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

InfinEight posted:

I love to look at them but I don't have much luck making them either. They tend to be so delicate and flimsy that I keep adding on pieces to make them stronger, and they turn into monsters rather than cute little suits.

Yeah, they're almost always incredibly delicate. At that size it's nearly impossible to make things sturdy.

Sair
May 11, 2007

InfinEight posted:

There's definitely some fisheye going on there.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Sair posted:

There's definitely some fisheye going on there.

I don't think you quite understand the concept of "optical illusion"

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

Logically I know those lines are straight, but my eyes keep telling me it's curved.

Captain Invictus posted:

Yeah, they're almost always incredibly delicate. At that size it's nearly impossible to make things sturdy.

It makes me jealous in a way, since I'm just not that patient. On the other hand I like to make stuff sturdy, cuz then its easier to play with.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Hope this settles things:

cthulusnewzulubbq
Jan 26, 2009

I saw something
NASTY
in the woodshed.
Starting bid of $290 on the giant castle chess set. Oh god I'm tempted.

MarlaSinger
May 11, 2009
So the first set to get me "back" into Lego was the Camper which I had to have because of the lime green and the happy hippie couple.

Well, because I watch too many crime shows, I like to make my little happy hippie couple into drug smugglers. Because of the roomy back of their van, and their tinted windows, and because they're clearly drug mules coming back from a vacation in Mexico.

This weekend I was really sick, and in to cheer me up my friend bought me the set I've been wanting to play with my drug smugglers: the Police Dog Unit, aka the drug dog.

Now I can play border patrol for real.

Shuppiluliumas
Nov 9, 2006
The new Space Shuttle arrived at the Lego Store this week. This thing is full of new parts, so I thought I'd show them to you. Overall, at 230 pieces and $30, It's not a great value, but it is a fun, simple build. It's also practically indestructable and thus highly swooshable. Anyway, some new parts. Apologies for the horrible cell phone pictures. My camera has no batteries.

The new wing. It has some studs, it lacks others. It's a new size.

I like the sharp angles of this new tail.

They've re-redesigned the old SW canopy everybody loves. I like this better than the Raid VPR version with the flat blob on the front, but this still lacks the nice aerodynamic look of the original. Also, the front end is completely flat if you can't tell from the picture. It has no stud connections underneath.

Realy crappy picture of a hinge. I think this thing is new.

Here's the finished product in front of my new project. I'm not applying any stickers. The nose is printed. We get one astrnaut but two sweet, white helmets. Also, his space suit is really nice. Past Launch-Command-y space suits had a big space shuttle on them, so you couldn't really use them for other space settings. This one would look good in more places.

Joudas
Sep 29, 2005

Now here's a kid who's whole world got all twisted,
leaving him stranded on a rock in the sky...
"The Burrow" from the harry potter line is an awesome set. It's probably the most fun to assemble set I've put together since I got back into this stuff. It's all the little details that just put it over the top, the full kitchen is awesome, the little bedrooms and side shrub area are great too. Best of all it's almost entirely small, regular bricks so it's great for MoC's.

I almost feel like buying another just to build some more houses out of it.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Joudas posted:

"The Burrow" from the harry potter line is an awesome set.
All of the Harry Potter sets look really nice, especially Diagon Alley.

RedTeam
Feb 5, 2011

SHAZAM!
Just found out that although my staff discount dosent apply to quite a few things, it does apply to minifigs.

Shame lego is overpriced as hell there generally though (WHSmith), if only I worked at tesco.

Joudas
Sep 29, 2005

How's the creator series Log Cabin? Anyone here bought it? The Burrow got me wanting to build a little retarded town.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Havent bought it, but it looks like an awful lot of brown pieces.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
I've heard the word 'swooshable' thrown around for space ships and such. Can that word be used for a giant cobra? Because the Pharaoh's Quest cobra set is awesome. I would have been happy if it just came with the cobra and the mummy, honestly. I have too many of these happy go lucky good guys now, especially with my five or so sets of the scarabs.
I love the scarabs. :3:

Joudas
Sep 29, 2005

SynthOrange posted:

Havent bought it, but it looks like an awful lot of brown pieces.

I like that brown, I'd be going for kind of a semi western feel too so it seems fitting. I checked out "woody's round up" but it some how doesn't seem worth it.

Bophf
Sep 10, 2006

well I oh

Joudas posted:

How's the creator series Log Cabin? Anyone here bought it? The Burrow got me wanting to build a little retarded town.

I bought it, it has a lot of nice scarlet red and brown pieces. I got it with intent to build all 3 sets, but after I built the one on the cover I liked it too much to destroy it.. yet, anyway.

Shuppiluliumas
Nov 9, 2006

Joudas posted:

I think it's a good value for the money, and it has some nice parts, especially the windows and the new 8x16 and 16x16 plates.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Hey, I built this thing:

It's a weapon/armor store, the type a band of RPG heroes might wander into to purchase a slightly better sword than the weapon store in the last town sold.
There's more pictures on my Lego castle tumblr which is pretty new but I guess I might as well link it.

The shield wall is my favorite part, i think.

Huge Fucker Bitch
Jan 8, 2004

Travis343 posted:

castle stuff

Really well done, I'm kinda jealous!

Joudas
Sep 29, 2005

Travis343 posted:

Hey, I built this thing:

You sure have! And it is pretty kick rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?

Travis343 posted:

Hey, I built this thing:

It's a weapon/armor store, the type a band of RPG heroes might wander into to purchase a slightly better sword than the weapon store in the last town sold.
There's more pictures on my Lego castle tumblr which is pretty new but I guess I might as well link it.

The shield wall is my favorite part, i think.

That is really neat! Where did you get the long pike thats hanging on the wall?