Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Defiance Industries posted:

Yeah, but at least the Death Commandos know that they're villains.

No they don't. Their motto is, basically: "One man's terrorist is another man's patriot". The Death Commandos are extremely patriotic.

Arquinsiel posted:

I was more wondering how hot he was running and if the pilot was dead before the SRMs hit.

He'd taken 5 hits. If they'd inferno'd him, he'd have taken 6 and died anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I was kind of hoping you'd lost track and he'd been dead a turn or two. I love the constant "dead pilot" ghost stories that crop up in Battletech.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Eh, the Death Commandos as depicted as novels (when they get speaking parts) have that whole schtick the Operative used in Serenity. "I'm doing bad stuff but I do it for the State so that people can be safe!" yadda yadda.

Plus, their official insignia is just a goddamn skull. Anyone who uses a skull for an insignia is just coming out and saying "Yeah, we're not even pretending."

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Are we the baddies?

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Affi posted:

Are we the baddies?

No. No we are not. That would be the Space Mexicans. Anything that puts a sombrero on an Atlas must be evil.

Space China is working for everyone's good. :china:

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Defiance Industries posted:

Eh, the Death Commandos as depicted as novels (when they get speaking parts) have that whole schtick the Operative used in Serenity. "I'm doing bad stuff but I do it for the State so that people can be safe!" yadda yadda.

Plus, their official insignia is just a goddamn skull. Anyone who uses a skull for an insignia is just coming out and saying "Yeah, we're not even pretending."

Yeeeeeah. I could buy a lot of the doing-bad-stuff-for-good rhetoric if they didn't call themselves the Death Commandos. It kinda eliminates any wiggle room away from self-declaring as evil. Or possibly 14 and with an X-Box.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
If they were Xbox gamers they would be the "xDeAtHCoMaNd0sx". Trust me on this.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Tempest_56 posted:

Yeeeeeah. I could buy a lot of the doing-bad-stuff-for-good rhetoric if they didn't call themselves the Death Commandos. It kinda eliminates any wiggle room away from self-declaring as evil. Or possibly 14 and with an X-Box.

Not to get too de-rail-y, but... Reminds me of that Star Wars book where there was apparently one lone genius working for the Empire who apparently worked for years on projects with names like "Death Star Superlaser" and "Sun Crusher" without realizing that she was helping an evil empire oppress the poo poo out of people.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Zeroisanumber posted:

Not to get too de-rail-y, but... Reminds me of that Star Wars book where there was apparently one lone genius working for the Empire who apparently worked for years on projects with names like "Death Star Superlaser" and "Sun Crusher" without realizing that she was helping an evil empire oppress the poo poo out of people.

It was written by Kevin J Anderson. It can be safely ignored.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Zeroisanumber posted:

Clearly the superlaser is for blowing up Death Stars and the Sun Crusher will eliminate the scourge of skin cancer related ailments for the good of everyone. :pseudo:

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
She was also a blue hedgehog who shacked up with Wedge Antilles. This is one situation that gets worse the harder you look at it.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

ZeeToo posted:

She was also a blue hedgehog who shacked up with Wedge Antilles. This is one situation that gets worse the harder you look at it.

Allston put her on a bus on like page 2 and never mentioned her again. That is why Allston is the best.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I kinda hope Engine Joe made it somehow. If only so he can track down the Death Commando Ace who ejected, and then beat him to death with a wrench or something.

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"

Affi posted:

Are we the baddies?

Oh geeze, I love that one.

Their reaction at the end is priceless. They look around, realize everybody's fetishizing skulls, share an Important Look and come to the immediate and wordless conclusion of "leg it."

What is that from, anyway? Obviously it's some kind of black humor British comedy.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

Oh geeze, I love that one.

Their reaction at the end is priceless. They look around, realize everybody's fetishizing skulls, share an Important Look and come to the immediate and wordless conclusion of "leg it."

What is that from, anyway? Obviously it's some kind of black humor British comedy.

British sketch comedy show called That Mitchell and Webb Look.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Isn't one fo them shtupping Stephen Fry now?

EDIT: That's wrong of me. drat you whoever told me that.

bunnyofdoom fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Mar 1, 2011

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

The funny part is I linked that exact video a few (or apparently 20) pages back in regards to the Death Commandos logo.

It's tucked away under an accusation of our opposition marching under the banner of a rat's anus.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
You know I'm kind of surprised with all the love the Capellans get here, that there's absolutely no love for the Free Worlds League. They're consistently ranked dead last in the great houses, yet people give the Cappies all the underdog support. Why does nobody love the FWLers?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Space racism I'm betting.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

SynthOrange posted:

Space racism I'm betting.

The Capellans invented stealth armor, the plasma rifle, were the pioneers of elective myomer surgery, and rediscovered ECM and BAP first. They are infamous for being gigantic jerks with mines, and have some very nice tank and mech designs.

The FWL brought us the light gauss rifle. I'm not too sure what neat designs the FWL has as well, but that might just be my memory failing me.

Don't get me wrong, the light gauss rifle's a nice weapon, but it's a support weapon rather than a straightforward rear end-kicking device. That said, if you modify an Annihilator to use 4 LGRs and have a C3 uplink... well that's 32 points of almost guaranteed damage from 25 hexes away.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Gothsheep posted:

You know I'm kind of surprised with all the love the Capellans get here, that there's absolutely no love for the Free Worlds League. They're consistently ranked dead last in the great houses, yet people give the Cappies all the underdog support. Why does nobody love the FWLers?

They get zero page time. They're between Steiner, who are themselves busy dealing with Kurita, and Liao, who until the 3060s existed just to get the poo poo kicked out of them. No border with the Clans, and their periphery neighbors are a joke. They don't really have anyone to square off with.

Hell, after the First Succession War, the most notable thing about the Steiner/Marik border worlds is the existence of gateway planets like Giausar, where Steiner and Marik citizens freely intermix for trade and such. Near as I can tell that doesn't really happen on other borders.

Defiance Industries fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Mar 1, 2011

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

They had some interesting Dark Age books by the looks of it! A whole series where the League had dissolved at last into independent provinces and then various provincial leaders start to try and unify them again, only for House Steiner to lead a huge invasion aimed specifically at crushing anybody who tries to unify the League again. And unlike how these scrappy underdog series usually go, the unifiers lose and their heroic last stands end in massacre! Basically the Lyrans are afraid that a united League would be a regional power and a threat to their own security. There goes that nice straight border.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

This has pleased me greatly

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Gothsheep posted:

I like the FWL because they have the Soumi Warders :gay:

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Gothsheep posted:

Because the only interesting thing the FWL has ever done is build the Word of Blake's army and collapse. Even their civil wars haven't been that interesting.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Zaodai posted:

Well they've got genetic superiority as a redeeming quality. Nothing bad ever comes from claiming genetics as an advantage over your opposition.

Oh, right. :hitler:

Actually, after the first waves of clan wars were over, the Inner Sphere sent some bastich half-rear end diplomat over in a short story to evaluate and examine the clans and their culture (I don't remember what book or supplement that was from).

He essentially looked down his nose at absolutely everything and somehow made the clans look great in comparison.

Also what's wrong with enjoying a bit of random mayhem and looting against , say, Comstar or Kurita forces? Steiner'd be too cliché and obvious.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Tempest_56 posted:

Because the only interesting thing the FWL has ever done is build the Word of Blake's army and collapse. Even their civil wars haven't been that interesting.

I'd call that the fault of the writers, not the FWL. Near as I can tell (not a big BattleTech guy myself), the writers have never put much effort into exploring the FWL or giving them something interesting to do/deal with. Granted, I get that the BattleTech universe is big enough that someone is going to get neglected in favor of "more interesting" factions, but I'd lay it at the feet of the writers that the FWL never got interesting to begin with.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Cythereal posted:

I'd call that the fault of the writers, not the FWL. Near as I can tell (not a big BattleTech guy myself), the writers have never put much effort into exploring the FWL or giving them something interesting to do/deal with. Granted, I get that the BattleTech universe is big enough that someone is going to get neglected in favor of "more interesting" factions, but I'd lay it at the feet of the writers that the FWL never got interesting to begin with.

Thomas Hallas was too timid. We'll see how Duncan Marik does.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

Thomas Hallas was too timid. We'll see how Duncan Marik does.

Something tells me this universe is going to be very awesome.

I forget, were you a 'trained' writer or something? Because I would read the hell out of a PopTartsNovel. I've certainly done much, much, worse... *cough* Stackpole *cough* Salvatore *cough*

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Felime posted:

I forget, were you a 'trained' writer or something? Because I would read the hell out of a PopTartsNovel. I've certainly done much, much, worse... *cough* Stackpole *cough* Salvatore *cough*

Edit: Early morning grammar fail.

I've spent a lot of effort towards becoming an author; but I'm not published. I am working on a couple of 'projects', though.

VVV And no, I don't have a best-seller name. I have a (French) last name that nobody can spell correctly.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Mar 1, 2011

Felime
Jul 10, 2009
Do you have a catchy, Anglo-european sounding name? A nice middle initial? Does it look good in raised, glossy letters? Then you too ca-Oh... you probably want to be a good author...

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
I think I sent my orders in. Did I>?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

bunnyofdoom posted:

I think I sent my orders in. Did I>?

Yes, I got them. Taking stock of things now.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

PoptartsNinja posted:

Yes, I got them. Taking stock of things now.

PTN I'm going to take this opportunity to express just how very much I enjoy this thread, even your ominous teasers.

Lots.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Teledahn posted:

PTN I'm going to take this opportunity to express just how very much I enjoy this thread, even your ominous teasers.

Lots.

Seconded. This has been a really fun thread.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
Indeed. It makes me want to splurge on Battletech miniatures so hard.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

lilljonas posted:

Indeed. It makes me want to splurge on Battletech miniatures so hard.

If that doesn't, my Jade Falcon trinary might...

Scout Charlie:

Beak Beta:

Talon Alpha:

The unmarked testbed for my chosen colors...

Of course, I don't paint Jade Falcons exclusively. That'd be boring.

Gay Abortions
Dec 12, 2007

PoptartsNinja posted:

If that doesn't, my Jade Falcon trinary might...
:swoon:
What do you use for Omni variants? Are those hacked up pewter, or some of the elusive plastics that floated around for awhile?

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
For the next adventure we just got to fight the clans :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

PoptartsNinja posted:

Edit: Early morning grammar fail.

I've spent a lot of effort towards becoming an author; but I'm not published. I am working on a couple of 'projects', though.

VVV And no, I don't have a best-seller name. I have a (French) last name that nobody can spell correctly.

I still say your ST:Online story would at the very least make a fun graphic novel. Its certainly more entertaining than Voyager was.

• Locked thread