Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kase Im Licht
Jan 26, 2001

grover posted:

Listen very carefully when they ask questions, and answer that specific question, don't volunteer extra. They ask you if you've ever downloaded poo poo from government computers. It doesn't matter if you're webmaster for pirate bay, if you haven't downloaded from government computers, say "no".

Also, don't ever download anything from government computers.

Wasn't for an actual clearance, but I had a law enforcement agency ask me as part of their own preliminary background check before hiring decisions were made if I ever downloaded anything. They specifically asked about MP3s and wanted to know how many.

But I just said it was a long time ago, was only about a couple hundred, and it did not appear to cause any issues. If it was recent though, or if I was a webmaster for pirate bay, I think it would have been trouble.

Law enforcement agencies are alot stricter about this kind of stuff than intel positions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoo
Oct 24, 2004

I hate to break it to you, but there is no big lie, there is no system. The universe is indifferent.

Kase Im Licht posted:

Law enforcement agencies are alot stricter about this kind of stuff than intel positions.

I actually do know more than a few people in intel/non-LE who have quit pirating mp3s largely for this reason. I don't know anyone who thinks they'd lose their clearance or get denied (that's still in the "that's silly" category, really), but it makes life easier to just not have to bother. That way they can say, "yes, I used to pirate mp3s, but now I use iTunes for everything" or whatever and it's fine. I can also buy that LE types would be a little bit more stringent on it.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

Zoo posted:

it makes life easier to just not have to bother. That way they can say, "yes, I used to pirate mp3s, but now I use iTunes for everything" or whatever and it's fine.

Yup.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
In light of the very real possibility of a shutdown I put together a FAQ from various news sites around. I posted this in Debate & Discussion, but figured you guys could make use of it as well.

Exactly what is going on?
Federal agencies cannot spend money unless funds are authorized and appropriated. Every year Congress is supposed to pass 12 appropriations bills that fund the federal government for the next fiscal year. They have not done that for FY11, and instead have passed a series of continuing resolutions that fund federal agencies at FY10 levels. The last of the continuing resolutions expires on March 4th, and unless Congress passes another funding measure a large number of "non-essential" federal employees will be furloughed.

How does this affect federal workers?
According to Federal News Radio "slightly less than half" of the 2.1 million federal workers subject to a shutdown would be furloughed. That doesn't include contractors who would be affected. The rules for who can work during a government shutdown haven't changed substantially since the 1980s, so the same people who worked during the shutdowns in FY96 will work if the government shuts down again. The Washington Post has a guide for who will work:

Washington Post posted:

According to federal guidelines established in the 1980s, agencies should continue activities that:

1.) Provide for the national security, including the conduct of foreign relations essential to the national security or the safety of life and property.

2.) Provide for benefit payments and the performance of contract obligations under no-year or multi-year or other funds remaining available for those purposes.

3.) Conduct essential activities to the extent that they protect life and property. (The article has an extensive list of "essential activities," but basically if someone had to work during a snowstorm they would still be working during the furlough.)

How are government services affected?
Previous shutdowns give us an idea of what will happen. One thing to consider is that previous shutdowns have generally been very brief. The last shutdown occurred from December 16, 1995 to January 6, 1996. Although this was the longest shutdown in US history, it occurred during the Christmas holiday when many federal employees would already be on leave. Here is a list of how some agencies will be affected:
  • If the shutdown lasts long enough then paychecks for many employees, essential or not, would be delayed. Federal contracts would be impacted.
  • Domestic agencies like the National Archives, DoE, HUD, EPA, and Census Bureau would be largely shut down. National parks would be closed, visa and passport applications would be delayed, and benefits to veterans would be delayed.
  • It is unclear whether or not Social Security checks would go out. During the FY96 shutdowns checks were mailed and new applications were still processed. However because the program is no longer running a surplus that may not happen.
  • The March 7 return of the space shuttle Discovery likely wouldn't be affected, but otherwise most of NASA would be shut down.
  • New Medicare claims will not be processed.
  • Tax returns that contain payment would be processed, but the IRS tax hotline will not be staffed. No tax refunds would be issued.
  • The National Institutes of Health would not be able to accept new patients or answer hotline calls regarding diseases. The Center for Disease Control would not be able to provide disease surveillance.
  • Federal law enforcement (FBI, Border Patrol, etc) would continue. Administrative tasks such as approving permits would be delayed.
  • Combat operations would continue, and the majority (69% in FY96) would stay on the job. Non-essential personnel would include research labs and people in administrative positions like program offices.
  • The US Postal Service would not be affected.
What happens to the federal workers?
By law the federal workers are not allowed to work without pay, so legally they cannot even work from home. It's possible that the workers will receive back pay once the shutdown is over, but there's no guarantee. Contractors are even less likely to receive retroactive pay.

How likely is a government shutdown?
Nobody wants a government shutdown, but unless things change it will happen. The House passed a spending bill that included $61 billion in cuts over FY10 levels, but both the Senate and the President rejected the cuts as draconian. The Speaker of the House has refused to permit any budget extension that doesn't include cuts. Both the House and Senate are working on temporary extensions that also include funding cuts. Republicans in the House have proposed a two week extension that includes a $4 billion cut to federal spending, and Democrats at least appear to be open to it. By the time they get back from the President's Day holiday Congress will have less than a week to agree on a solution.

What about the debt ceiling?
Federal law currently states that the government cannot carry a debt larger than $14.3 trillion. When the debt ceiling is reached the federal government stops spending money. As of right now the US National Debt Clock puts the debt at $14.2 trillion, and it's expected to hit the debt ceiling sometime in April or March. Although Republicans have threatened to refuse to raise the debt ceiling, the catastrophic consequences of such an action make it very unlikely that they would follow through.

Zoo
Oct 24, 2004

I hate to break it to you, but there is no big lie, there is no system. The universe is indifferent.
On the upside, it's looking increasingly like they'll reach at least a two-week compromise. Neither side seems to have managed to control the narrative sufficiently to pile blame on the other party for a shut down, so its political benefit has eroded too much to make it worth it for them IMO.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
I will put this in the OP

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

In light of the very real possibility of a shutdown I put together a FAQ from various news sites around. I posted this in Debate & Discussion, but figured you guys could make use of it as well.

Exactly what is going on?
Federal agencies cannot spend money unless funds are authorized and appropriated. Every year Congress is supposed to pass 12 appropriations bills that fund the federal government for the next fiscal year. They have not done that for FY11, and instead have passed a series of continuing resolutions that fund federal agencies at FY10 levels. The last of the continuing resolutions expires on March 4th, and unless Congress passes another funding measure a large number of "non-essential" federal employees will be furloughed.

How does this affect federal workers?
According to Federal News Radio "slightly less than half" of the 2.1 million federal workers subject to a shutdown would be furloughed. That doesn't include contractors who would be affected. The rules for who can work during a government shutdown haven't changed substantially since the 1980s, so the same people who worked during the shutdowns in FY96 will work if the government shuts down again. The Washington Post has a guide for who will work:

How are government services affected?
Previous shutdowns give us an idea of what will happen. One thing to consider is that previous shutdowns have generally been very brief. The last shutdown occurred from December 16, 1995 to January 6, 1996. Although this was the longest shutdown in US history, it occurred during the Christmas holiday when many federal employees would already be on leave. Here is a list of how some agencies will be affected:
  • If the shutdown lasts long enough then paychecks for many employees, essential or not, would be delayed. Federal contracts would be impacted.
  • Domestic agencies like the National Archives, DoE, HUD, EPA, and Census Bureau would be largely shut down. National parks would be closed, visa and passport applications would be delayed, and benefits to veterans would be delayed.
  • It is unclear whether or not Social Security checks would go out. During the FY96 shutdowns checks were mailed and new applications were still processed. However because the program is no longer running a surplus that may not happen.
  • The March 7 return of the space shuttle Discovery likely wouldn't be affected, but otherwise most of NASA would be shut down.
  • New Medicare claims will not be processed.
  • Tax returns that contain payment would be processed, but the IRS tax hotline will not be staffed. No tax refunds would be issued.
  • The National Institutes of Health would not be able to accept new patients or answer hotline calls regarding diseases. The Center for Disease Control would not be able to provide disease surveillance.
  • Federal law enforcement (FBI, Border Patrol, etc) would continue. Administrative tasks such as approving permits would be delayed.
  • Combat operations would continue, and the majority (69% in FY96) would stay on the job. Non-essential personnel would include research labs and people in administrative positions like program offices.
  • The US Postal Service would not be affected.
By law the federal workers are not allowed to work without pay, so legally they cannot even work from home. It's possible that the workers will receive back pay once the shutdown is over, but there's no guarantee. Contractors are even less likely to receive retroactive pay.

How likely is a government shutdown?
Nobody wants a government shutdown, but unless things change it will happen. The House passed a spending bill that included $61 billion in cuts over FY10 levels, but both the Senate and the President rejected the cuts as draconian. The Speaker of the House has refused to permit any budget extension that doesn't include cuts. Both the House and Senate are working on temporary extensions that also include funding cuts. Republicans in the House have proposed a two week extension that includes a $4 billion cut to federal spending, and Democrats at least appear to be open to it. By the time they get back from the President's Day holiday Congress will have less than a week to agree on a solution.

What about the debt ceiling?
Federal law currently states that the government cannot carry a debt larger than $14.3 trillion. When the debt ceiling is reached the federal government stops spending money. As of right now the US National Debt Clock puts the debt at $14.2 trillion, and it's expected to hit the debt ceiling sometime in April or March. Although Republicans have threatened to refuse to raise the debt ceiling, the catastrophic consequences of such an action make it very unlikely that they would follow through.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Zoo posted:

On the upside, it's looking increasingly like they'll reach at least a two-week compromise. Neither side seems to have managed to control the narrative sufficiently to pile blame on the other party for a shut down, so its political benefit has eroded too much to make it worth it for them IMO.

I dunno. I think it's entirely possible, given the spiteful nature of the current political atmosphere.

Zoo
Oct 24, 2004

psydude posted:

I dunno. I think it's entirely possible, given the spiteful nature of the current political atmosphere.

I still think it's possible, too, but look at this article on FederalNewsRadio. I don't know what would happen after the two weeks, but my money has switched from "don't bet on either side" to a slight, low-wager "don't bet on the shutdown on Mar 4." I don't know more than anyone else though, of course; the momentum for Friday as doomsday just seems to be diminishing.

Salo
Aug 31, 2004

....meh

Zoo posted:

I still think it's possible, too, but look at this article on FederalNewsRadio. I don't know what would happen after the two weeks, but my money has switched from "don't bet on either side" to a slight, low-wager "don't bet on the shutdown on Mar 4." I don't know more than anyone else though, of course; the momentum for Friday as doomsday just seems to be diminishing.

Unfortunately, I run in Republican circles due to the nature of my job. They are publicly stating they do not want a shut-down because of the mess Gingrich caused for their party back in 95. However, behind closed doors even the non-tea party Republicans are gleefully clamoring for it.

Bottom line is that they are trying to set themselves up to deflect the blame once the shutdown happens. I really hope I eat my words.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I think both parties secretly want it. The Republicans think this is a fantastic way to show that the Democrats would rather shut the government down than cut the budget. Democrats think that, if it went on long enough, people would realize that they actually need the government and just going "CUTS! CUTS! CUTS!" isn't going to work. Given the political boost that it gave President Clinton I believe both parties think the risk is worth it.

It may not happen on March 4th, but I think it will happen.

Tortilla Maker
Dec 13, 2005
Un Desmadre A Toda Madre
I suppose the environment varies from agency and department but not a single person who I work with is at all concerned about a possible shutdown. No one is making contingency plans, not a single memo has trickled down from above, and the general consensus is that it's a lot of hot air from both sides.

Are my co-workers (and myself for that matter) really that naive? It seems as though most Feds here on SA are genuinely concerned.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Tortilla Maker posted:

I suppose the environment varies from agency and department but not a single person who I work with is at all concerned about a possible shutdown. No one is making contingency plans, not a single memo has trickled down from above, and the general consensus is that it's a lot of hot air from both sides.

Are my co-workers (and myself for that matter) really that naive? It seems as though most Feds here on SA are genuinely concerned.

It might just be a SA echo chamber effect, coupled with the fact that the kind of people who would comment on such a thing are also the kind of people who read and follow the news. I doubt any of my coworkers have read the CRS Shutdown Report or paid as much attention as I have to the issue. Also there's still a week left.

The D&D thread is similarly ambivalent about the possibility of a government shutdown, mostly on the basis that the Democrats and the President will cave in to Republican demands and allow cuts to be made.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I think both parties secretly want it. The Republicans think this is a fantastic way to show that the Democrats would rather shut the government down than cut the budget. Democrats think that, if it went on long enough, people would realize that they actually need the government and just going "CUTS! CUTS! CUTS!" isn't going to work. Given the political boost that it gave President Clinton I believe both parties think the risk is worth it.

It may not happen on March 4th, but I think it will happen.

I think this, but I also think the Democrats stand significantly more to gain.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Pipe dream, but for a college student at 18 fresh off-the-press with no job experience whatsoever, would there be any jobs for me in general that are Federal Government Jobs? Pretty much my entire family, as well as extended family has done governement jobs their entire lives, so naturally they collaborate about the benefits of having one.

I would like one too, but with no experience and only being able to do part-time, is this even an option? The first thing that came to mind was the post office...

Zoo
Oct 24, 2004

Kaymaster posted:

Unfortunately, I run in Republican circles due to the nature of my job. They are publicly stating they do not want a shut-down because of the mess Gingrich caused for their party back in 95. However, behind closed doors even the non-tea party Republicans are gleefully clamoring for it.

Bottom line is that they are trying to set themselves up to deflect the blame once the shutdown happens. I really hope I eat my words.

Well, we all know they want a shutdown--if they can spin it in their favor. My contention is that this isn't working, so they're going to give it up. For every "I work on the Hill and it's X" guy I run into, there's another "I work on the Hill and it's Y" guy. I don't think anyone knows poo poo until March 4th, tbh.

Zoo
Oct 24, 2004

Tortilla Maker posted:

It's purely anecdotal. At your office nobody cares. At my office, I know only one contractor who thinks it's just flippant nerds whining about nonsense nobody cares about (everyone thinks he's an idiot); he'd never even heard of the shutdown prospects and mostly talks about Final Fantasy and MMOs. A bunch more people are making plans. It's all just dependent. There are many things that are goony and not real-world, but I find plenty of shutdown anxiety in the real world at my workplace. Mostly people treat it like a party though, not a crisis, because few were around for 1995. That said, as mentioned above, my money continues to be on no shutdown... at least not on Mar 4. Maybe after. But don't know poo poo, etc.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Tortilla Maker posted:

With oversea operation, (and poo poo like, of gently caress, where would I get money? I don't trust the half-dozen ATMs in the country) we are aware. If it happens, it happens, but at least most of my co-workers are starting to make preparations and plans in the event of a shutdown.

dvgrhl
Sep 30, 2004

Do you think you are dealing with a 4-year-old child to whom you can give some walnuts and chocolates and get gold from him?
Soiled Meat

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

By law the federal workers are not allowed to work without pay, so legally they cannot even work from home.

Not doubting you or anything, just curious, do you have a reference or something for this?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

dvgrhl posted:

Not doubting you or anything, just curious, do you have a reference or something for this?

From Federal News Radio.

quote:

In case of shutdown, step away from the BlackBerry

February 24, 2011 - 7:31am
Alan Balutis, senior director, Cisco's Business Solutions Group

In a shutdown, just because you can work from home doesn't mean you should.

That means even if you are not in the office, you can't work on your smartphones, laptops or other devices.

The Office of Personnel Management explicitly says federal employees cannot volunteer to work unpaid during a furlough.

Technology has made working remotely much easier compared with the mid-1990s during the last partial government shutdown.

But the ability to work remotely will not exempt you from being furloughed, said Alan Balutis, the senior director for Cisco's Business Solutions Group and a former chief information officer at the Commerce Department.

"Certain personnel will be deemed essential, and they will remain on duty. Others that are determined to be non-essential and are part of the shutdown are under law prohibited from continuing to work or even to volunteer their time," Balutis said. "I'm sure many will do so regardless."

During the shutdowns in the 1990s, some federal employees still wanted to continue to work - unpaid, he said.

This desire to work "reflects the dedication and commitment to mission and service to the public that's an aspect of much of our public service then and now," Balutis said.

Even though the White House has publicly stated it is confident a shutdown will be averted, Balutis said the administration is probably determining now which federal employees are essential and which will be subject to furloughs.

Some systems - like payments of social security and veterans benefits - are automated and personnel who operate these systems will be deemed essential, he said.

However, he added, "There's a bit of gamesmanship here in the sense that any administration is going to want to dramatize the draconian effects of a Republican House unwilling to negotiate."

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Avocadoes posted:

Pipe dream, but for a college student at 18 fresh off-the-press with no job experience whatsoever, would there be any jobs for me in general that are Federal Government Jobs? Pretty much my entire family, as well as extended family has done governement jobs their entire lives, so naturally they collaborate about the benefits of having one.

I would like one too, but with no experience and only being able to do part-time, is this even an option? The first thing that came to mind was the post office...

Post office is pretty hard to get a job at, actually. Depending on your area, you might have federal work-study options available to you in college. The other thing, something I wish I'd done as an undergrad (tried as a 5th year senior but it was too late), is to take internships during the summer or during a semester. DIA actually pays, although they're in the minority on that. You will likely get a clearance out of it, and it's a valuable foot in the door.

Epicenter
Dec 17, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Great timing on this thread! I am planning to move to the Baltimore area, ideally near Fort Meade and would like to find a job there to get me situated, so I have some proof of employment when I get an apartment in the area. I am a 4 year veteran of the AF. I'd prefer an entry level IT job, but I'm really open for whatever comes along.

Problem is my dad just got a job on USAJOBS in San Antonio, but it took him almost a year. And probably would have taken longer if the guy doing the hiring didn't just happen to recognize his name from college. Looking to move with friends early this summer; probably around June.

What is my best bet? Thanks!

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

Epicenter posted:

Great timing on this thread! I am planning to move to the Baltimore area, ideally near Fort Meade and would like to find a job there to get me situated, so I have some proof of employment when I get an apartment in the area. I am a 4 year veteran of the AF. I'd prefer an entry level IT job, but I'm really open for whatever comes along.

Problem is my dad just got a job on USAJOBS in San Antonio, but it took him almost a year. And probably would have taken longer if the guy doing the hiring didn't just happen to recognize his name from college. Looking to move with friends early this summer; probably around June.

Apply now! The government hiring process works at the speed of slow, even in the best of times. You may get lucky and start working 3 weeks after you apply, but it's highly unlikely. June is possible, but a tad optimistic.

CheshireCat
Jul 9, 2001

You exist because we allow it. And you will end because we demand it.

Tortilla Maker posted:

As a contractor, my company has yet to tell us what their plans are should the government shut down. Haven't even heard anything from the fed side of things, either. A shutdown, even a fairly prolonged one, won't affect me too much, but there are a few younger co-workers here that are going to have problems.

Epicenter posted:

Abandon all hope ye who enter USAJOBS.

Epicenter
Dec 17, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post

CheshireCat posted:

Abandon all hope ye who enter USAJOBS.

Is there somewhere better to look?

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Epicenter posted:

Is there somewhere better to look?

Know a guy, know a guy who knows a guy, etc.

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa
Welp, just gave HR another status call today, I'm still "awaiting placement." The good news is that the person I talked to said there's no talk of a hiring freeze yet AND the April training group isn't full yet. There's still hope!

I just want to add that the US Government has completely messed up my brain. I no longer am excited about Fridays, because I know it just means another weekend where I won't be able to find out any news. I look forward to Mondays, because hey...I might hear something.

So...so...wrong.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

CherryCola posted:

I just want to add that the US Government has completely messed up my brain. I no longer am excited about Fridays, because I know it just means another weekend where I won't be able to find out any news. I look forward to Mondays, because hey...I might hear something.

So...so...wrong.
Mondays? Fridays? I don't think I've worked either in a month; between RDOs, leave, and travel comp time to burn, I'm having a hard time actually finding time to work. I tell you what, though; those 5-day work weeks really drag on when I actually have to work all 5 days.

Zoo
Oct 24, 2004

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Know a guy, know a guy who knows a guy, etc.

They'll still usually have you apply through USAJobs, albeit with intent to retrieve your resume when it certs. :P

Keep applying to USAJobs. There's nowhere better. Just keep at it. If you're looking at intelligence community jobs, apply also to cia.gov and nsa.gov (the other agencies post their jobs on USAJobs -- as well as their home pages).

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU
Just e-mailed the HR rep for that State job that I didn't want to reschedule despite the rumor of a shutdown. I am terrified of mucking it up and either showing up to an empty building, or thinking that the govt. shutdown is still in effect but operations starting back up the day of my interview.

Of course I'm worrying way too much and I imagine that a government shutdown and any announcements pertaining to it would be pretty apparent.

This whole fiscal situation is bugging me. Just received a letter from the Montgomery County PD stating that though they will still conduct background investigations for all candidates, they aren't sure if they will be accepting candidates this year.

Also e-mailed my contact in PAE as to whether or not the current fiscal situation will have any effect on their hiring needs, but she didn't seem to concerned with it. I am guessing that since it is a part of Lockheed Martin it would fall under the defense budget, which will never be cut.

JohnnyHildo
Jul 23, 2002

Tortilla Maker posted:

This has been my experience as well.

Zoo
Oct 24, 2004

It looks less likely with recent developments, but it was never merely hot air. Shutdowns happen.

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

Avocadoes posted:

Try looking at http://www.usajobs.gov/studentjobs/ and apply for an internship in the agency you want to work in if possible.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Zoo posted:

It looks less likely with recent developments, but it was never merely hot air. Shutdowns happen.

For now...

;)

Zoo
Oct 24, 2004

So now that it looks like we're on the cusp of getting a compromise (at least until 18 Mar), my organization finally sent out a notice today explaining contingencies and providing a FAQ regarding a shutdown.

derp

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa
Does this compromise involve the NGA sending out EODs?? That would be pretty sweet.

Zoo
Oct 24, 2004

CherryCola posted:

Does this compromise involve the NGA sending out EODs?? That would be pretty sweet.

Haha, I hope it involves sending out a lot of job-related things. :P I'm waiting on a few potential calls myself...

(but no, it's just an extension of the CR; we still won't have an FY11 budget, sigh)

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Zoo posted:

So now that it looks like we're on the cusp of getting a compromise (at least until 18 Mar), my organization finally sent out a notice today explaining contingencies and providing a FAQ regarding a shutdown.

derp
We still haven't heard a word about who's supposed to show up next monday if we're shut down, and who's supposed to stay home.

I DID find that that if it drags on more than a week, I'm eligible for unemployment. (VA won't pay unemployment for the first week.) No idea how much compensation is, or how lot it would take, but it beats no-pay status. Anyone here know how unemployment works in VA?

On a related note, I've had difficulty getting one of the contractors I'm working with to provide some drawings and other details. Can I just let him hire me during the shutdown to get the poo poo done?

madkapitolist
Feb 5, 2006
Is there something significant about the date 3/18? That is when the usajobs listing I am interested in ends as well.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
Harry Reid says the democrats are accepting the 2-week stopgap with $4B in cuts:
http://voices.washingtonpost.com/2chambers/2011/03/senate_democrats_will_approve.html?hpid=topnews%22

madkapitolist posted:

Is there something significant about the date 3/18? That is when the usajobs listing I am interested in ends as well.
None at all, it's simply a Friday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005

grover posted:

We still haven't heard a word about who's supposed to show up next monday if we're shut down, and who's supposed to stay home.

I DID find that that if it drags on more than a week, I'm eligible for unemployment. (VA won't pay unemployment for the first week.) No idea how much compensation is, or how lot it would take, but it beats no-pay status. Anyone here know how unemployment works in VA?

On a related note, I've had difficulty getting one of the contractors I'm working with to provide some drawings and other details. Can I just let him hire me during the shutdown to get the poo poo done?

Virgnia is capped at ~400 a week/1600 month. Basically if you're a GS-5 or above, or earning 50k+/yr, that's what you'll get. I heard processing takes awhile, too, but have never went through the system. So take that at face.

You can do that, although I am skeptic of the legality of it since you will be making decisions as if you were assumed office or in official capacity. If you're non-essential personnel that will be a clusterfuck can-of-worms that you'd likely not wish for.

Honestly? If it were just status updates or something I could see you working around that - simple phone call and all. But even then that is a pretty thin line you'd be walking.

The contractor would have to use billable time - as they will be working on your project, which would not get processed by the employer/contractor agency, because of the shutdown. Which would basically amount to time-sheet-fraud. I don't know of a contractor, top 5 or even small subcontractors, that wants that kind of black eye or scrutiny come auditing time. (Which by the way - is this time of year.) So getting them to hire you to appease your tastes on the project or something could be done, but no actual work on the contract can (or will) be done or shown to you unless you are in the legal position to request it.

Honestly, even for a month? Isn't worth the headache.