Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deadcell27
May 11, 2007

Quick, before he comes back!
I'm looking for something to play on PC. I've cancelled my sub to WoW, and Rift isn't proving to be completely to my tastes, so I guess I'm looking for something I can invest a decent chunk of time in.

Ideally, it would be on steam. My PC is pretty decent, so should be able to run pretty much anything on medium at least.

Lately, I've really enjoyed New Vegas, so something in the RPG line of things could be good. Other stuff I've enjoyed lately has included Recettear, Just Cause 2 and Mass Effect 2. I loved Deus Ex and the older Fallout games, to that gives an idea too. Preferably something with at least reasonable graphics though, as I find poo poo graphics distract me a lot.

Edit: Forgot to mention, I have a PS3 and 360 too, so anything that's stunningly good on those would work too.

Deadcell27 fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Mar 1, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

csidle
Jul 31, 2007

croakey posted:

Recently, my interest in Quake Live faded. However, my PC won't run many modern online shooters without choking. (TF2 and L4D run at a pretty horrible framerate.)

I've played CS,DOD,TF,W:ET.

I love TF2, but Quake Live runs at a much more acceptable framerate! Is there a fun, team multiplayer shooter out there I can run?
Try the Moviebattles mod for Star Wars: Jedi Academy if you want a different, but incredibly fun shooter experience. At least look at the trailers and gameplay videos on https://www.moviebattles.com

It's a team-based shooter that's bit of a mix of Counter-Strike and Call Of Duty MW, with a lot of locations and characters from the movies. It still has a ton of servers with a lot of players on, so you should have no trouble finding people to play with. I really recommend you at least try it out, it's a fantastic game.

Deadcell27 posted:

Ideally, it would be on steam. My PC is pretty decent, so should be able to run pretty much anything on medium at least.

Lately, I've really enjoyed New Vegas, so something in the RPG line of things could be good. Other stuff I've enjoyed lately has included Recettear, Just Cause 2 and Mass Effect 2. I loved Deus Ex and the older Fallout games, to that gives an idea too. Preferably something with at least reasonable graphics though, as I find poo poo graphics distract me a lot.

Edit: Forgot to mention, I have a PS3 and 360 too, so anything that's stunningly good on those would work too.
How about the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games? They're like a rougher version of Fallout, in my opinion much better and more immersive. Alternatively, if you want an MMO, how about DC Universe Online? It's supposedly very good.

Deadcell27
May 11, 2007

Quick, before he comes back!

csidle posted:

How about the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games? They're like a rougher version of Fallout, in my opinion much better and more immersive. Alternatively, if you want an MMO, how about DC Universe Online? It's supposedly very good.

I tried the first STALKER, and just didn't click with it. I'd be willing to look at it again if I can find the disc, but I'm not sure if I want to go to another desolate wasteland.

I'm not particularly looking for a MMO, just something that will actually draw me in a lot.

Edit: gently caress it, I'm not sure if I'll find anything that fits the bill perfectly. I guess I'll just work through my Steam catalogue, see what grabs me and look into stuff that's similar.

MMAgCh posted:

You might consider Prototype, which involves a similar brand of inflicting outrageous havoc on an unsuspecting civilian population as JC2 does.

I kinda enjoyed Prototype, but I just wasn't able to keep interested for too long. I think I'm just way too fussy.

Deadcell27 fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Mar 1, 2011

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Deadcell27 posted:

Lately, I've really enjoyed New Vegas, so something in the RPG line of things could be good. Other stuff I've enjoyed lately has included Recettear, Just Cause 2 and Mass Effect 2. I
You might consider Prototype, which involves a similar brand of inflicting outrageous havoc on an unsuspecting civilian population as JC2 does.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

It looks like Noctis won't run on my Win 7 64 system, can anyone recommend a game that focuses on the exploration of a vast universe of drab wonders?

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away

freshlenin posted:

Frozen Synapse by any chance? http://www.frozensynapse.com
It is in beta right now but if you purchase you get a free copy to give away.

Are there any single player games like that? Hopefully on Steam?

Kaitian
Jan 24, 2006

I don't know if anyone knows but I recently saw a (p)review (?) of a TD game that was coming out for Windows but the name eludes me. It wasn't a grid format type of game but similar to Harvest (http://www.oxeyegames.com/harvest/). Does anyone know the name of the game I'm talking about?

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Silentman0 posted:

It's not nearly the same, but it's the only thing I can think of, and it's free: Alien Assault, a turn-based Space Hulk clone.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Silentman0 posted:

Frozen Synapse's final release will have a single player campaign, but the only other single player game with timed turns like that I can think of is the incredibly Russian and buggy 7.62.

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA

croakey posted:

Recently, my interest in Quake Live faded. However, my PC won't run many modern online shooters without choking. (TF2 and L4D run at a pretty horrible framerate.)

I've played CS,DOD,TF,W:ET.

I love TF2, but Quake Live runs at a much more acceptable framerate! Is there a fun, team multiplayer shooter out there I can run?

I don't want to be unhelpful, but I would recommend picking up a nicer video card - I'm sure you can get a $100 one that's a big upgrade from a 3800 and will get more life out of your system. Battlefield 2 was always great fun, but I don't know if it will run.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

Deadcell27 posted:

I'm looking for something to play on PC. I've cancelled my sub to WoW, and Rift isn't proving to be completely to my tastes, so I guess I'm looking for something I can invest a decent chunk of time in.

Time to get addicted to Heroes of Newerth and raging at your fellow people harder than ever.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

Blackula69 posted:

I don't want to be unhelpful, but I would recommend picking up a nicer video card - I'm sure you can get a $100 one that's a big upgrade from a 3800 and will get more life out of your system. Battlefield 2 was always great fun, but I don't know if it will run.

Not really, 3800 cards can run recent games pretty decently if at lower resolutions and detail levels. That inefficient and slow Pentium 4 CPU is a much bigger bottleneck. I'd say it's time to upgrade the whole system.

croakey
Mar 23, 2006

Ninja Gun - Restless Rubes

pigdog posted:

Not really, 3800 cards can run recent games pretty decently if at lower resolutions and detail levels. That inefficient and slow Pentium 4 CPU is a much bigger bottleneck. I'd say it's time to upgrade the whole system.

You're right on all counts. TF2 chokes when too many people/projectiles are on the screen, but runs at a smooth framerate on lower populated servers.

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

croakey posted:

You're right on all counts. TF2 chokes when too many people/projectiles are on the screen, but runs at a smooth framerate on lower populated servers.

Wow, I just assumed it was fine because it was 3 Ghz, I didn't even realize it was single core architecture. Yeah, I would say time for an upgrade. Try battlefield 2, though, it's pretty old and I hear it still has a decent player base (but I could be making that up).

A new gaming pc is like $1000 max. I know that's still a luxury for most people, but it's not as much of an outlay as some think.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I'm looking for an online-based game that's built around progression, one that I can play in quick, five-minute spurts when something is compiling at work or something. Things that give you turns-per-fifteen-minutes, or ones that take a long time to do something in, that kind of thing.

I've played Ikariam, Travian, Fantasy University, that zombie apocalypse one that was popular a while back, and they are sort of good but not super great...?

I thought Fantasy University's gameplay, but goddamn the puns and humour were just awful. Maybe a more down-to-earth version of that?

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

I've got a PSP but never really looked at it's library too deeply. What are some good games you'd recommend? I just generally like games apart from most sports games (stuff like football (UK/US) or baseball but skating and more "extreme" sports I like).

For reference I've got Dissidia. WipEout Pure, MH Freedom Unite, Dracula X Chronicles, Power Stone Collection, Breath of Fire 3, Phantasy Star Portable, ZHP, Peace Walker, Holy Invasion of Privacy Badman, Half Minute Hero, Patapon and Burnout legends. I've mostly picked those up second hand or been given them as gifts, also a friend has KH birth by sleep and Ys Seven so I can borrow those whenever.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Luminaflare posted:

I've got a PSP but never really looked at it's library too deeply. What are some good games you'd recommend? I just generally like games apart from most sports games (stuff like football (UK/US) or baseball but skating and more "extreme" sports I like).

For reference I've got Dissidia. WipEout Pure, MH Freedom Unite, Dracula X Chronicles, Power Stone Collection, Breath of Fire 3, Phantasy Star Portable, ZHP, Peace Walker, Holy Invasion of Privacy Badman, Half Minute Hero, Patapon and Burnout legends. I've mostly picked those up second hand or been given them as gifts, also a friend has KH birth by sleep and Ys Seven so I can borrow those whenever.

I think the first two Disgaeas were ported to the PSP, and I thought they were loads of fun. More in-depth descriptions were written earlier in the thread, but basically it's an SRPG with fun characters and dialog that goes over the top with the amount of leveling you can do.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
If I had a PSP I would get Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions.

It's basically a port of the original FFT from the PSX, only completely re-translated, with animated cutscenes, and a bunch of added bonus content.

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

Deadcell27 posted:

Alpha Protocol, my friend. It's made by the same people who made New Vegas, uses the Mass Effect 2 engine and has one of the best and most interactive storylines ever dropped into a video game.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Kinda cross-posting from the PS3 Games Thread.

I had $22.04 to spend on PSN. It's now down to $16.05 as Vagrant Story has claimed a place on my cart. I'm considering getting Silent Hill and Final Fantasy Tactics. Do you guys have a better recommendation than those two? I was considering Dead Nation but I don't know how much playtime I'll get out of it. It does go on sale for 30% tomorrow though.

For reference, I have digital copies of Dino Crisis, Spyro Year of the Dragon, Symphony of the Night, and Siphon Filter. I have hard copies of FFVII, FFVIII, Metal Gear Solid, Blood Omen, and Soul Reaver, so I'm loathe to by digital versions of those.

trigger9631
Nov 18, 2004

I love my ducks.
I'm looking for a game that has a kick-rear end story. I want to feel emotions besides "VIDEEOO GAMMESS" while playing this game. If it makes me cry, awesome. I have a PS3, a PS2, a Wii, a DS, and a 2007 Macbook. I'm not looking to spend more than $20. Digital download is fine, and I'll happily play retro games. I don't want it to be too long (20 hours is about the max for my patience and time availability). I got FF13 for Christmas but I don't have time to play that right now, so I'm waiting on that.

Any suggestions?

EDIT: I already played Heavy Rain, and I LOVED that poo poo. That game was awesome.

trigger9631 fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Mar 8, 2011

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

trigger9631 posted:

I'm looking for a game that has a kick-rear end story. I want to feel emotions besides "VIDEEOO GAMMESS" while playing this game. If it makes me cry, awesome. I have a PS3, a PS2, a Wii, a DS, and a 2007 Macbook. I'm not looking to spend more than $20. Digital download is fine, and I'll happily play retro games. I don't want it to be too long (20 hours is about the max for my patience and time availability). I got FF13 for Christmas but I don't have time to play that right now, so I'm waiting on that.

Any suggestions?

EDIT: I already played Heavy Rain, and I LOVED that poo poo. That game was awesome.

Planescape: Torment is supposed to have a good story, but I've never played it so I can't say anything gameplay or length wise.

Planescape: Torment on GOG

Vizrt
Oct 1, 2009

Grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brotha', I hurt people.

trigger9631 posted:

Any suggestions?

Nier.

Looks like it hits all your criteria. Within price range, $20 new. Has an emotional story. If you aren't a completionist when it comes to sidequests, it easily fits into your gameplay time requirements. If I had to guess it's about 10-15 hours with just the main story and a few of the more interesting side quests. I picked it up on a whim while at Gamestop, and couldn't put it down.

Vizrt fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Mar 8, 2011

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

trigger9631 posted:

Any suggestions?

Braid is artsy and subtle, but if those two adjectives don't make you flinch, it's the game I first think of when "good story" comes up. It's short (5 hours at the most).

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
I'm looking for a good, somewhat recent PC RPG. Specifically, something where there's a ton of flexibility in desigining/building your character(s) tends to hit a lot of the right buttons for me. Games that I've played (or replayed) in the past year or so that I've been scratching this particular itch which fit the bill have included NWN2, The Witcher, Vampire The Masquerade:Bloodlines, the various recent Elder Scrolls and Fallout offerings, Dragon Age: Origins, etc. etc.

Gotchas/qualifiers: For whatever reason, I find myself uninterested in the more isometric, zoomed out gameplay found in the old Infinity Engine games - which is a shame, because the definitely fit the bill in most other respects. Strong (by genre standards) stealth gameplay would be nifty - I loved playing a sneaky character in Bloodlines and the Gambryo Falloutblivion games, but is far from required.

Cheap is a huge plus as well.

Alpha Protocol is on my list to check out, but I'm curious if there's anything else that I might've missed out there that fits the bill and was particularly good. My only real gaming hardware is a ~3 year old iMac, so the absolute latest and greatest doesn't always run, but it does pretty well.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Vizrt posted:

Nier.

Looks like it hits all your criteria. Within price range, $20 new. Has an emotional story. If you aren't a completionist when it comes to sidequests, it easily fits into your gameplay time requirements. If I had to guess it's about 10-15 hours with just the main story and a few of the more interesting side quests. I picked it up on a whim while at Gamestop, and couldn't put it down.

Don't you have to play it twice to get the best ending, though?

trigger9631
Nov 18, 2004

I love my ducks.

nrook posted:

Braid is artsy and subtle, but if those two adjectives don't make you flinch, it's the game I first think of when "good story" comes up. It's short (5 hours at the most).

Is the story still worth playing through if I spoiled the ending for myself a couple years ago? I watched what happens in the final sequence on YouTube and it seemed very intriguing, but I'm worried the game won't be quite the same since I already know the end.

Otherwise, thanks for the suggestions, everyone. I'll check them out as I can. Please feel free to suggest more!

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Don't you have to play it twice to get the best ending, though?

Yes, technically 3 times, although it should be noted that the second and third "playthrough" are a strange New Game+ type feature that starts you halfway through the game with all your weapons and stats from previous playthroughs, so they really only tack on like 5 more hours total.

EDIT: The dialogue and story also changes somewhat from the first round. It's a really interesting game.

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

nrook posted:

Braid is not a games I think of when I think good story. Awkward and pretentious at face value, still awkward and pretentious if you try to analyse it. The final level is a very nice story-telling device, I'll give it that.

Also those 5 hours obviously don't include getting a certain star.

kissekatt fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Mar 8, 2011

Tiramisu
Dec 25, 2006

Hey, where did you go!? Do you really dislike seeing my face that much!?

trigger9631 posted:

Is the story still worth playing through if I spoiled the ending for myself a couple years ago? I watched what happens in the final sequence on YouTube and it seemed very intriguing, but I'm worried the game won't be quite the same since I already know the end.

Otherwise, thanks for the suggestions, everyone. I'll check them out as I can. Please feel free to suggest more!

The only subtle part of Braid is the final level, but otherwise the presentation of the game's story is a bunch of text dumps between levels about how Tim is a child. That said, the gameplay is pretty inventive if at times frustrating, and there are some really entertaining puzzles and great music. I guess to answer your question, the story isn't worth playing for if you've already seen the final level BUT the game is worth playing regardless of the story.

As far as entertaining stories and worlds go
(PC) Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines has a cast filled with character in animations and lines. First meeting with Jeanette. Characters run the gamut from slickback suits to hot blooded revolutionaries. $20 on steam. Definitely pick up the fan patch if you get it.
(PS3) Alpha Protocol has great timed conversations where you select a one word tone for your line. Conversations affect endings, available intel, alliances, and missions. Pretty easy to find for less than $20.
(DS) Radiant Historia's a jrpg with an atypical protagonist in that he's shockingly competent and capable of drawing logical inferences. He starts as the best agent in special ops and never really makes you question it. There's a time travel and alternate histories gimmick to the plot. It came out recently so it's still $35, but I clocked about 30 hours skipping the majority of fights so there's a lot of content there. Skipping battles doesn't indicate content is bad though, it actually makes you think a fair bit. I just enjoyed questing and progressing the story more.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

CaptainPsyko posted:

I'm looking for a good, somewhat recent PC RPG. Specifically, something where there's a ton of flexibility in desigining/building your character(s) tends to hit a lot of the right buttons for me. Games that I've played (or replayed) in the past year or so that I've been scratching this particular itch which fit the bill have included NWN2, The Witcher, Vampire The Masquerade:Bloodlines, the various recent Elder Scrolls and Fallout offerings, Dragon Age: Origins, etc. etc.

Gotchas/qualifiers: For whatever reason, I find myself uninterested in the more isometric, zoomed out gameplay found in the old Infinity Engine games - which is a shame, because the definitely fit the bill in most other respects. Strong (by genre standards) stealth gameplay would be nifty - I loved playing a sneaky character in Bloodlines and the Gambryo Falloutblivion games, but is far from required.

Cheap is a huge plus as well.

Alpha Protocol is on my list to check out, but I'm curious if there's anything else that I might've missed out there that fits the bill and was particularly good. My only real gaming hardware is a ~3 year old iMac, so the absolute latest and greatest doesn't always run, but it does pretty well.

You'd probably like Divinity 2: Dragon Knight Saga and/or Risen. Both are over-the-shoulder mostly-free-roaming RPGs with interesting storylines. The first is more straightforward, actiony and pretty funny sometimes, the latter is a bit weird with combat but has a very fun thievery and stealth system.

mune
Sep 23, 2006

trigger9631 posted:

Any suggestions?

If you're into minimalist stories (almost no dialogue) then get Shadow of the Colossus for PS2 (or wait for the HD PS3 version) because it is amazing. It's more of an experience than a game. I am so jealous of the people who are playing it for the first time because it's so great.

For reference, you basically are trying to kill these 16 colossi to restore life to a dead girl you've brought to this far-away, mythical land. As I said, there is very little dialogue (except for some exposition and then getting instructions on which colossus to kill next) and the story is largely told through the music and the actions on screen.

Also the game is fun. Each colossus is a level unto itself, and presents a different puzzle. Some are aggressive and just want to kill you, others pretty much ignore you until you start attacking them. Some exhibit very real emotions and fears (such as of fire) and are very lifelike. Some can be relatively small (marginally bigger than Agro, your horse, who is also extremely believable and easy to forge a connection with) and some are massive, and can be seen from what feels like kilometers away.

The music is loving awesome. When the music swells as you first climb a colossus, it's a pretty rad feeling. That being said, the game has its challenges, but it's beautiful for a PS2 game, presents an experience unlike any other (except for possibly its cousin, Ico, also for PS2) and has been a soft spot for me since I played it.

I should probably stop talking now, but it's seriously a great game.

edit: tl;dr if you want to feel emotions while playing a game, play Shadow of the Colossus. Unless you are megagoon robotville you will really, really, enjoy it.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Captain McStabbin posted:

I think the first two Disgaeas were ported to the PSP, and I thought they were loads of fun. More in-depth descriptions were written earlier in the thread, but basically it's an SRPG with fun characters and dialog that goes over the top with the amount of leveling you can do.

I already have Disgaea on DS, any other recommendations?

The Cheshire Cat posted:

If I had a PSP I would get Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions.

It's basically a port of the original FFT from the PSX, only completely re-translated, with animated cutscenes, and a bunch of added bonus content.

Thanks, I'll look in to that.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Luminaflare posted:

I already have Disgaea on DS, any other recommendations?

How do you feel about Metal Gear Solid? I hear that MGS: Peace Walker is an excellent title to play through. There's also the God of War games as well, which are fairly solid.

Reposting:

Morpheus posted:

I'm looking for an online-based game that's built around progression, one that I can play in quick, five-minute spurts when something is compiling at work or something. Things that give you turns-per-fifteen-minutes, or ones that take a long time to do something in, that kind of thing.

I've played Ikariam, Travian, Fantasy University, that zombie apocalypse one that was popular a while back, and they are sort of good but not super great...?

I thought Fantasy University's gameplay, but goddamn the puns and humour were just awful. Maybe a more down-to-earth version of that?

So, any ideas for what might fit this bill? Something preferably that doesn't have a PVP element, or at least not a large one?

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

trigger9631 posted:

Any suggestions?

How about Fahrenheit, the previous game by those pretentious Frenchies over at Quantic Dream? It rules, the last 3rd makes no sense, and there are legit boobs. Get the director's cut for PC, it's available lots of places including D2D. The beginning of the game is amazing, at least.

trigger9631
Nov 18, 2004

I love my ducks.

mune posted:

edit: tl;dr if you want to feel emotions while playing a game, play Shadow of the Colossus. Unless you are megagoon robotville you will really, really, enjoy it.

Already played Shadow of the Colossus, and yes, it totally owned. Probably going to play it again when the HD remakes come out.

I actually just remembered that I actually have Ico sitting around at my parents' house, that might be the game that I play.

Blackula69 posted:

How about Fahrenheit, the previous game by those pretentious Frenchies over at Quantic Dream? It rules, the last 3rd makes no sense, and there are legit boobs. Get the director's cut for PC, it's available lots of places including D2D. The beginning of the game is amazing, at least.

I've wanted to play this for awhile but I don't have a Windows license for my Macbook so I can't dual-boot :( I'll keep it in mind, though.

Jiriam
Mar 5, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Is there anything like escape velocity out there? like, anything?

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Jiriam posted:

If you have an iDevice, Warpgate is something of a spiritual successor.

Arctic
Dec 4, 2005

doctorfrog posted:

It looks like Noctis won't run on my Win 7 64 system, can anyone recommend a game that focuses on the exploration of a vast universe of drab wonders?

Though it's definitely not a 1 to 1 comparison to Noctis I think Nomad fits the bill of having an open explorable lonely universe. The whole game is best described as Star Control 2's less successful and slightly dumber brother where you have places to dock and buy supplies, upgrades and check out the assignment board. However for the most part you're out in bumfuck uninhabited space looking for clues, lore, resources and just general poking around.

It goes without saying you'll be playing it through DOSBOX.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nomad_%28game%29
http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/nomad

Arctic fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Mar 9, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Jiriam posted:

Freelancer is quite a bit like Escape Velocity, especially with mods that open up the whole game from the very beginning instead of having it restricted based on progress with the main story.