Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
Today's HTVRYL:

quote:

Charlie Brooker explores the gulf between real life and television. From the moon landings to Blake's 7 to CSI: Miami, has TV warped our relationship with technology?

Should be good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

:siren:
ADAM AND JOE
are back at 6 Music

From April

For realsies this time

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009

reality_groove posted:

ADAM AND JOE
are back at 6 Music

From April

For realsies this time

YAY! This is the best news.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

reality_groove posted:

ADAM AND JOE
are back at 6 Music

From April

For realsies this time

gently caress YES

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

For 12 weeks!!..

:negative:

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I'm setting myself up to be publicly humiliated here but I've never really got what's so great about Adam & Joe, with the caveat that I have only heard like 1½ of their shows in total. I love Collings and Herrin, and they keep going on and on about hwo great Adam & joe are. And so does everyone else. I just thought it was a couple of midly amusing hours of two grown men acting like they're children. I don't mean that as necessarily a bad thing but the affected naivete with which they address each other and set up jokes didn't do anything for me.

Feel free to boo me

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice

Beeswax posted:

Collings and Herrin, and they keep going on and on about hwo great Adam & joe are

They say it not to alienate A&Js audience. They have always been seat warmers for A&J and they know it, they know they are merely tolerated by A&J fans and would be cast aside and forgotten as soon as they came back.

Also, Collins and Herring are not loving funny.

wickles
Oct 12, 2009

"In England we have a saying for a situation such as this, which is that it's difficult difficult lemon difficult."

Beeswax posted:

I'm setting myself up to be publicly humiliated here but I've never really got what's so great about Adam & Joe, with the caveat that I have only heard like 1½ of their shows in total. I love Collings and Herrin, and they keep going on and on about hwo great Adam & joe are. And so does everyone else. I just thought it was a couple of midly amusing hours of two grown men acting like they're children. I don't mean that as necessarily a bad thing but the affected naivete with which they address each other and set up jokes didn't do anything for me.

Feel free to boo me

booboo

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Beeswax posted:

Feel free to boo me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmIGr-add88

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Cd2TLIbhMg

marktheando fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Mar 1, 2011

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Beeswax posted:

Feel free to boo me

Don't worry, I feel the same way about Stewart Lee, goons seem to love him but I don't find him nearly as funny as other comics.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
The more I listen to Adam and Joe the more I think Joe is really what makes it. I really like Adam Buxton, but he goes over the top shouty sometimes and talks too much about his kids. Most of my laugh out loud moments come from Joe's delivery. I gave up listening to his Big Mix Tape show because it was just endless stories about what his kids had done the day before.

Love Stewart Lee though, I just think he's on an entirely different level from literally everyone else. I'm not saying he's necessarily the funniest *stand-up* in the world (was introduced to Louis CK the other day and he's great, although quite a lot of the time his swearing detracted rather than adds to his comedy), but he's the only one in the world who does his style and I think it's unbelievable.

I liked him before I was a goon though, so I get a pass from the hive-mind. Also don't rate Charlie Brooker at all.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I enjoy all four of them, as entertainment to me is entertainment unless utterly crude or insulting.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

I'd recommend Doug Stanhope if you like Louis CK, he's like Bill Hicks, but drunker and without the crazy theories. He also excels at describing really vulgar scenarios.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

This local cineworld boss seems like a right self important prick.
Also Heston's first idea is retarded :(

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Charlie Brooker is back on BBC2 in 5 minutes.

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
The Coldplay over Zogs analysis sent me over the edge.

fake edit: A trailer for the Bigtrax what the gently caress !?

Space Bro
Sep 4, 2008

Charlie Brooker was spectacular, as always.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I never knew Blake 7 ended so depressingly before.

And god I love Ode To Joy.

Catzilla
May 12, 2003

"Untie the queen"

I used to love Automan as a kid :ohdear: Thanks Charlie for pointing out how homo-erotic it was.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

SeanBeansShako posted:

I never knew Blake 7 ended so depressingly before.

And god I love Ode To Joy.

If you can get past the cheapness of the sets Blake's 7 is a really excellent series. I have no idea why some exec somewhere didn't immediately commission a remake for when Galactica came to a close. I guess terrorists aren't really very popular protagonists these days (even though they are terrorists fighting against evil)

Daedo
May 5, 2002

Brown Moses posted:

Charlie Brooker is back on BBC2 in 5 minutes.

Unless you live in Scotland, in which case some documentary interview thing was aired instead -_-

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Daedo posted:

Unless you live in Scotland, in which case some documentary interview thing was aired instead -_-

Channel 865 (on Virgin at least) is your friend then. It shows BBC2 England, none of that silly Scottish fiddling with the proper order of programmes.

delicious beef
Feb 5, 2006

:allears::allears::allears::allears::allears::allears:
Is the Promise worth watching?

Beast
May 2, 2004
thirsty for justice
Two matters;

Why why why can't I watch new Charlie brooker on iplayer?

And the news of the return of Dr Sexy and Nurse Totty has made my year.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Beast posted:

Two matters;

Why why why can't I watch new Charlie brooker on iplayer?

It's up now. It includes the words "duck bum-a-phone" and is quite wonderful.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Just finished State of Play on goon recommendation, what a fantastic series.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
3000 FT CHRIST-BOT DECIMATES BASINGSTOKE

There's a news story I wish was true

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

delicious beef posted:

Several people I know say it's really great.

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

I don't much care for the attitude of filthy money-lenders

A5H posted:

This local cineworld boss seems like a right self important prick.
Also Heston's first idea is retarded :(

The only person I liked was the concessions worker who pointed out that some customers have trouble between the notions of sweet and salted.

Also I hated the whole thing. Heston's a food wizard, not a social crusader, and I think he's aware of this as he sheepishly tries to sell his own brand of food he doesn't seem to like to people he loathes for money from Channel 4. His experiment with stale popcorn in the dark vs fresh popcorn in the light was laughable, with 2 variables, making it not the same experiment at all. People would probably probably prefer the 'stale' popcorn either way as it 'tastes right'. I've seen food programmes where they get members of the general public to eat low grade and then high grade sausages. The majority prefer the skanky ones, with the wisdom being that that is what they know a sausage to be, so if Heston was worried his own popcorn would get trounced, at least he could've fallen back on that. Instead he made out everyone was a big idiot.

"What makes popcorn so...popular?"

Not tasty. Popular.

Padje fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Mar 2, 2011

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Tsaedje posted:

If you can get past the cheapness of the sets Blake's 7 is a really excellent series. I have no idea why some exec somewhere didn't immediately commission a remake for when Galactica came to a close. I guess terrorists aren't really very popular protagonists these days (even though they are terrorists fighting against evil)
Sky did commission development on a remake in 2008 but dropped the project last year. (Thank christ - it would have been poo poo)

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"

DaWolfey posted:

Also, Collins and Herring are not loving funny.

Dead to me...

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
Tee hee, I just saw Tamwar and that sinister guy from Eastenders hanging out in Marks and Spencer. I gave them a salute and they just looked at me/gave me halfhearted ones back.

henpod fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Mar 2, 2011

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Irisi posted:

Channel 865 (on Virgin at least) is your friend then. It shows BBC2 England, none of that silly Scottish fiddling with the proper order of programmes.

Would it surprise you to know that certain parts of Falkirk still don't have virgin/blueyonder/telewest/cable.

gently caress, i hate this place.

le chat
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

delicious beef posted:

yes

Kin posted:

Would it surprise you to know that certain parts of Falkirk still don't have virgin/blueyonder/telewest/cable.

gently caress, i hate this place.

is that bad? I live in the midlands and we have never been able to get cable, I presumed that it was just something some areas aren't able to have/cable providers don't care about

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

Padje posted:

The only person I liked was the concessions worker who pointed out that some customers have trouble between the notions of sweet and salted.

Also I hated the whole thing. Heston's a food wizard, not a social crusader, and I think he's aware of this as he sheepishly tries to sell his own brand of food he doesn't seem to like to people he loathes for money from Channel 4. His experiment with stale popcorn in the dark vs fresh popcorn in the light was laughable, with 2 variables, making it not the same experiment at all. People would probably probably prefer the 'stale' popcorn either way as it 'tastes right'. I've seen food programmes where they get members of the general public to eat low grade and then high grade sausages. The majority prefer the skanky ones, with the wisdom being that that is what they know a sausage to be, so if Heston was worried his own popcorn would get trounced, at least he could've fallen back on that. Instead he made out everyone was a big idiot.

"What makes popcorn so...popular?"

Not tasty. Popular.

Me and my mates were expressing identical sentiments to each other when watching this. The whole thing was just such a massive waste of everyone's time - his, the cinema's, and we who watched the program. There is absolutely no point in trying to sell people food that they don't even want, at a far smaller profit than what they were selling originally.

That first bit with the food tailored to the film was just loving ridiculous. Fish market scene so he creates a terrible smell in the room and gives them disgusting food. Orgy scene so he gives them a sauce that looks like cum. Seriously?

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

The Perfect Element posted:

That first bit with the food tailored to the film was just loving ridiculous. Fish market scene so he creates a terrible smell in the room and gives them disgusting food. Orgy scene so he gives them a sauce that looks like cum. Seriously?

What film were they watching?

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

le chat posted:

is that bad? I live in the midlands and we have never been able to get cable, I presumed that it was just something some areas aren't able to have/cable providers don't care about

Lack of choice is never a good thing. Right now i'm stuck in an area that is only served by BT (presumably they're maintinaing some kind of monopoly control over the area somehow). This means that BT have absolutely no incentive to upgrade the infrastucture and as such the connection here seems like it's stuck in 2005 with no apparent schedule on increasing it at all.

So yes, it's bad, very bad.

Things i presently cannot do:
Watch youtube live (i have to leave the page open for a while in order for it to download the video);
Watch iplayer competently (it will stutter on low resolution);
Play anything on xbox live/PSN/steam without some kind of lag;
Use skype;
Use zune video or whatever other streaming movie services there are;
Play any of my steam games without waiting a day for them to download;
...and so on and so forth.

Oh and bugger me if i ever want to be efficient and do some of those things at the same time.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Kin posted:

Lack of choice is never a good thing. Right now i'm stuck in an area that is only served by BT (presumably they're maintinaing some kind of monopoly control over the area somehow).

It's most likely a similar situation to my area, with a load of nimbys blocking the planning permission needed to dig up the roads in order to run fibre.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"
Everyone needs to watch Bob's Burgers on 4od btw.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3379901&pagenumber=1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

le chat
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Kin posted:

Lack of choice is never a good thing. Right now i'm stuck in an area that is only served by BT (presumably they're maintinaing some kind of monopoly control over the area somehow). This means that BT have absolutely no incentive to upgrade the infrastucture and as such the connection here seems like it's stuck in 2005 with no apparent schedule on increasing it at all.

So yes, it's bad, very bad.

Things i presently cannot do:
Watch youtube live (i have to leave the page open for a while in order for it to download the video);
Watch iplayer competently (it will stutter on low resolution);
Play anything on xbox live/PSN/steam without some kind of lag;
Use skype;
Use zune video or whatever other streaming movie services there are;
Play any of my steam games without waiting a day for them to download;
...and so on and so forth.

Oh and bugger me if i ever want to be efficient and do some of those things at the same time.

Oh yeah, we are in the same situation. Not being able to have cable is the norm for me so I forget it's not the same coutrywide(and that there is any way to change it) . But the situation with my current connection is not as bad as yours. We are barely able to get 2mb here but at least it's somewhat consistent. No idea what the situation is with BT in the area though, Sky is our only option for subscription TV aswell which is another issue.

I occasionally check samknows hoping yo see BT is going to try and modernise the areas infrastructure only to see some vague future plans.

le chat fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Mar 2, 2011