Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Swedish Nice Boy posted:

They made this (nws)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6maVVFs0As

Zorak posted:

Also this amazing thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-rexyelXOU

I don't know what either of these are, but I can't see the art style as Berserk at all in either of them.

Can't say I like it too much. I liked the art style of the original Berserk animation though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Having to justify Studio 4C *sigh*
Here's some of their more serious stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1aFpXyAczU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHNDKAADtDo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpAR-PBdiMM

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I don't know what either of these are, but I can't see the art style as Berserk at all in either of them.

Aren't the good japanese animation studio's known for being able to reproduce whatever style was used in the comic they're basing it on?

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.

NonEuclidean Testes posted:

I guess that means they'll be animating it in chunks? Like this movie might cover the beginning and all/part of the Golden Age arc, and then if it sells well later movies will cover other chunks? Anyway, this is loving awesome news!

According to ~official tweets~ the movies will cover "the entirety of the Berserk saga" and the project "will not take 10 years" which I guess means two things;

a) they're confident Miura will finish Berserk within a handful of years
b) they already have a lot of it (Golden Age and up to Millenium Falcon or more) animated and it's just a matter of playing catch-up with animating upcoming volumes

Or it's just marketing double-speak and "all of it" means "what we had when the project started (2008-ish?)".

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Well, there's that whole bit where Miura said it was 60-something%+ finished a year or two ago.

So really, we should be drat deep into the buildup for whatever it is they all figure out they need to do for the ending to happen. It's just a matter of his perfection slowing him down if we're really that far along. But, if we assume 35 volumes is 70%, then we've got 15 volumes to go. I wonder what it'll be like reading Berserk while my grandkids are running around.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Fiannaiocht posted:

They just got on the boat on page one of this thread three years ago.
... Wow.

I just got around to starting this manga a couple weeks ago and finished it just now. I knew Berserk had a reputation for being frustratingly slow... but drat.

The worst bit is everything since they got on the boat has been, well, kind of uninteresting. I can't imagine what it's like to be slowly rewarded over three years with... that.

Well, the first hundred chapters of this manga were fantastic, at least!

Edit: I forgot that all the awesome capital city battle stuff happened after they got on the boat- that was pretty awesome.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Eiba posted:

Edit: I forgot that all the awesome capital city battle stuff happened after they got on the boat- that was pretty awesome.

I would argue that it really isn't. In the Golden Age arc the battles were fought by reasonably well-developed characters and what happened during them was relevant to that development. When it's just Griffith and his monstrous company fighting other monsters it's really pretty hard to give a poo poo; spectacle for spectacle's sake doesn't hold up forever.

I mean maybe we'll learn all about Zodd's personal history and the human contingent with Griffith will get fleshed out more and so on, but honestly that whole business dragged on forever. It's like a repeat of the Eclipse, except it doesn't work because the significance of the Eclipse was "everyone you cared about in this story just died, went insane, or was horribly mutilated, and Griffith has finally gone past the point of no return." Meanwhile the significance of the Emperor's death is just "there are dragons now" which is cool and all but doesn't really have much depth by comparison.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

No, I mean this kind of awesome.

It's not had especially deep or interesting characters or politics since the hundred chapter flashback, but I still thought the scale and imagery of that battle was awe inspiring- literally awesome.
It helps that I didn't have time to sit and ponder its shallowness while blitzing through the whole manga. Spectacle for spectacle's sake does hold up in those circumstances!

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Mindblast posted:

Aren't the good japanese animation studio's known for being able to reproduce whatever style was used in the comic they're basing it on?

Basically. Not to mention production studios are more than capable of picking up animators more familiar with certain styles.

The whole point of those music videos were "Look at how technically advanced and detailed they can be!"

Eiba posted:

No, I mean this kind of awesome.

It's not had especially deep or interesting characters or politics since the hundred chapter flashback, but I still thought the scale and imagery of that battle was awe inspiring- literally awesome.
It helps that I didn't have time to sit and ponder its shallowness while blitzing through the whole manga. Spectacle for spectacle's sake does hold up in those circumstances!

Not to mention this is basically just building up how powerful Griffith and his Apostles are, which is set up for Guts murdering them all in the volumes to come. It's basically setting building for the remainder of the manga.

Zorak fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jan 8, 2011

Rakugoon
Jul 30, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
The last 3 years of Berserk, a retrospective.

AN ANGRY MOTHER
Jan 31, 2008
BLANK
So with the whole "Berserk 2010" teasers, and now that is past 2010...

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

AN ANGRY MOTHER posted:

So with the whole "Berserk 2010" teasers, and now that is past 2010...

2010 in boat time. So, maybe something like 2015 in real time.

Doloen
Dec 18, 2004
Do we have any idea when the next chapter will be out? The last chapter didn't specify.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
:ssh: He'll hear you wonder and delay the next chapter more.

Kneel Before Zog
Jan 16, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Infinitum posted:

Having to justify Studio 4C *sigh*
Here's some of their more serious stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1aFpXyAczU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHNDKAADtDo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpAR-PBdiMM
Are these actual animes? Name?

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:

Kneel Before Zog posted:

Are these actual animes? Name?

The first two are from the movie Memories.

I haven't seen whatever the third one is.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
First two are from Memories, which is a movie that's actually a collection of great OVA-length stories. Everyone should see it.

Last one is from Spriggen, which I have never seen but gather is great if you want some old school Akira-like ultraviolence.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
I like Spriggan but not as much as when I was younger. Its like Metal Gear Solid the movie, without the sneaking around. Comparing it to Akira is interesting but its more campy like MGS than profound.

temple fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Jan 26, 2011

OMG ITZ JAMES
Sep 11, 2001

:iamafag::iamafag::iamafag::iamafag::iamafag:
Just finished reading Berserk 1-34, my first time reading it.

AMAZING. Berserk is the poo poo.

Kusaru
Dec 20, 2006

I'm a Bro-ny!

OMG ITZ JAMES posted:

Just finished reading Berserk 1-34, my first time reading it.

AMAZING. Berserk is the poo poo.

Yeah, I just did a re-read after the movie announcement. Re-re-cemented as my favorite manga.

Also, I watched through some of this guy's subtitled playthrough of the PS2 game, and one of the first things Puck says is "let's hurry to Elfhelm!" This game came out in 2004.

Edit: This manga is beautiful:

Click here for the full 1975x1400 image.

Click here for the full 2033x1400 image.

Kusaru fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jan 26, 2011

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I actually watched the Berserk anime first. Mainly because I saw Berserk Abridged and the guy who made it advised me to watch the anime before I watch the Abridged ending.

I loved the anime though and since the manga is even better, I've decided to go and read it. I'm only a couple Chpaters in though so this might tkae a while.

I'll miss the epic music from the anime however.

igotbored
Mar 29, 2010
Just do what I did and listen to Forces on loop while reading the manga.

Unacknowledged
Jul 20, 2004

Nobody likes me.

igotbored posted:

Just do what I did and listen to Forces on loop while reading the manga.

Actually, I looped this and made every part of the manga even more epic.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Every time I hear the opening for "Forces" I expect a deep Japanese voice to talk about fate and men struggling hopelessly against it

Also, I expect the end credits sequence from that new "Game of Thrones" to be exactly like the end credits from Berserk except with the characters changed.

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

WHY YOU GOTTA BREAK A BROS HEART

temple posted:

I like Spriggan but not as much as when I was younger. Its like Metal Gear Solid the movie, without the sneaking around. Comparing it to Akira is interesting but its more campy like MGS than profound.

Spriggan was also a slightly above average manga about supernatural Cold War shenanigans, but that too was pretty drat campy.

Puukko naamassa
Mar 25, 2010

Oh No! Bruno!
Lipstick Apathy

Puppies are dicks posted:

Spriggan was also a slightly above average manga about supernatural Cold War shenanigans, but that too was pretty drat campy.

I remember reading the three volumes that Viz put out, and I couldn't stop laughing at the story with cloned nice Hitler or whatever.

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

WHY YOU GOTTA BREAK A BROS HEART
It was totally radical in a way that only some thing the late 80s/early 90s could be.

But lets talk some more about Berserk! Seriously: That motherfucking sea monster/squid tentacle/carnivorous seaweed from the latest arc, what the hell is this crazy poo poo?! And he just cuts down the whole loving thing and is apparently gearing up to do it again with the even bigger and badass versions? There isn't a black metal song metal enough to capture this amount of GAR.

With the latest chapters it really seems like Kentaro Miura is really trying to one up himself with badassery (and succeeding on all counts too imo).

Undead Unicorn
Sep 14, 2010

by Lowtax

Andrigaar posted:

:ssh: He'll hear you wonder and delay the next chapter more.
don't be silly

He's busy writing WILD CARDS

Smift
Aug 19, 2007
Retard

Undead Unicorn posted:

don't be silly

He's busy writing WILD CARDS

Please! He'll hear you.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
So what, its gonna be a series of movies now from the beginning of the manga, Rebuild of Berserk style? I hope they don't do something dumb like try to cram all 13 volumes of the Golden Age flashback into 90 minutes or something...

Safe and Secure!
Jun 14, 2008

OFFICIAL SA THREAD RUINER
SPRING 2013

Zorak posted:

Not to mention this is basically just building up how powerful Griffith and his Apostles are, which is set up for Guts murdering them all in the volumes to come. It's basically setting building for the remainder of the manga.

I'm in seeing what you base this on. Can you give me any pointers/links? Is the author just some kind of genius? Not trying to argue, I'm genuinely curious here.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Safe and Secure! posted:

I'm in seeing what you base this on. Can you give me any pointers/links? Is the author just some kind of genius? Not trying to argue, I'm genuinely curious here.

I don't think following standard narrative structure makes you necessarily a genius bro....

Safe and Secure!
Jun 14, 2008

OFFICIAL SA THREAD RUINER
SPRING 2013
Oh wow, I didn't notice any of that. I'm completely ignorant when it comes to fiction-writing, sorry.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Fairy Island is now the new One Piece's Fisherman Island.

We're never going to get there :qq:

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Infinitum posted:

This is another case of "simpsons did it"

"When are they gonna get to the fireworks factory" :qq:

(oh christ I didn't mean to be the first one to bump this thread in 2 weeks :gonk:)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Infinitum posted:

It's Fishman Island. Big difference :colbert:

Revdomezehis
Jul 26, 2003
OMG a Moose!
Also someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't they there now in One Piece?

Oh Miura. :sweatdrop:

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
It does if you write manga. Big fish in a small bowl and all that

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Relin posted:

There are quite a lot that follow basic narrative structure, the majority even, at least in seinen series. Shounen is a bit trickier but yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.
Insert obligatory QQ about thread bump duping me into thinking new chapter is out.

Relin posted:

What does this even mean? Like Zorak says, just because it's manga doesn't mean the standards of narrative fiction don't apply...

To put it another way, what else is the Hero gonna do other than take down the main Bad Guy?