Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chickenfat
Nov 14, 2008

It ain't easy bein' greasy.

Skeevy Mcgee posted:

Also, I think the show was hosted by Fred Gwynne, but a check of his imbd "Self" listing isn't turning up anything.

I think it might be Any Friend of Nicholas Nickleby Is a Friend of Mine.It is from Bradbury book of short stories "I Sing the Body Electric". It was filmed for the "American Playhouse Series" and actually starred Gwynne as Charles Dickens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CGameProgrammer
Nov 5, 2008

Unexpected EOF posted:

It SOUNDS like you're describing "They Live."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBY6pF42I-c

It also matches a scene from Ghost in the Shell: Innocence. That was much later though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTQkcn4nZ0Y
It's not either one of those. The victims were innocent humans that he was hallucinating to be zombies, and the movie was live-action. It was a horror movie of some sort.

Skeevy Mcgee
Feb 17, 2007

Chickenfat posted:

I think it might be Any Friend of Nicholas Nickleby Is a Friend of Mine.It is from Bradbury book of short stories "I Sing the Body Electric". It was filmed for the "American Playhouse Series" and actually starred Gwynne as Charles Dickens.

Holy poo poo, thank you, that has to be it.

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010
The earth has music for those who listen.

ClearAirTurbulence posted:

I've been trying to find the name of this movie for a long time. Unfortunately, I only saw a few minutes of it towards the end.

I saw it on cable television in the mid-1990s I think. I don't know anything about the plot of the movie, just the scene I saw. There were a bunch of teenagers hiding in a house or cabin in the woods. There was a girl, I think she had red hair, who had a dangerous boyfriend and a dorky guy was trying to talk her into running away from him. He was in the middle of conversation with her when the boyfriend snuck up and whacked him across the back of the head with a shovel. The girl screamed, and the guy who just got hit in the head stared blindly near her direction and called out her name, and said something about how he could barely hear her, even though she was right in front of him. He stumbled around a bit while the boyfriend said something disparaging about him.

I was impressed and disturbed by the effects of the head injury in the movie, it managed to be creepy without any blood and it had me paranoid about head injuries for years. I have never been able to figure out the name of the movie.

Reposting now that this thread is getting more activity. I really want to know the name of this movie, though I'm guessing I'll be disappointed if I see the whole thing.

Edited to add some more details - I don't think the movie was older than late 1980s - something of the way it filmed outdoor nighttime exteriors screamed early '90s or late '80s. I'm pretty sure the scene with the shovel was at night. There were several other kids present who were being terrorized by the guy with the shovel, felt like most were mid to late teens though there may have been a younger kid too. The kid with the shovel had dark short hair, may have been hispanic. The kid getting whacked was tall and skinny. The production values were pretty good though it could have been a better-than-average made for cable or DTV movie it was high enough quality for a theatrical release.

ClearAirTurbulence fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Mar 1, 2011

SneakySneaks
Feb 11, 2006

CGameProgrammer posted:

Sometime in the 90s on TV I saw part of a horror movie in which a guy was in a convenience store killing everyone with an axe because he was under some sort of spell that made him think they were all zombies. The victims don't know this and the camera switches from the attacker's POV and the real POV with blood everywhere. What movie was this?

This is very close to describing the ending to The Night Flier, he thought they were vampires not zombies though and it was an airport. The scene plays out in the exact same way right down to the axe.

EDIT: Found the scene http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHFcmN4pA6A&feature=related

SneakySneaks fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Mar 1, 2011

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Unexpected EOF posted:

Really vague, but...

An 80s sci-fi flick where a man gets a lapdance from a hologram.

I know someone suggested something else, but the only one I can think of that jumped immediately to mind was "The 6th Day", a pretty bad Schwarzenegger film from the late 90's early 00s. The man getting the lap dance is Arnold's best buddy, and it happens pretty early in the flick.

CGameProgrammer
Nov 5, 2008

SneakySneaks posted:

This is very close to describing the ending to The Night Flier, he thought they were vampires not zombies though and it was an airport. The scene plays out in the exact same way right down to the axe.

EDIT: Found the scene http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHFcmN4pA6A&feature=related
Yes that's the scene. Thanks!

Unexpected EOF
Dec 8, 2008

I'm a Bro-ny!

CzarChasm posted:

I know someone suggested something else, but the only one I can think of that jumped immediately to mind was "The 6th Day", a pretty bad Schwarzenegger film from the late 90's early 00s. The man getting the lap dance is Arnold's best buddy, and it happens pretty early in the flick.

I think that may be it. Don't know where I got 80s from if that's the case. Though the last act did have a very watered-down 80s feel to it.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
This one was an Asian movie (I think Japanese but not sure) I saw a clip of on youtube. A bunch of high school students are fighting on the roof of a building (school) It's really one sided where one guy is way outnumbered and getting the poo poo kicked out of him, but he just keeps going and giving as good as he gets. It seemed pretty cool and I'd like to see the rest of it.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

Dr_Amazing posted:

This one was an Asian movie (I think Japanese but not sure) I saw a clip of on youtube. A bunch of high school students are fighting on the roof of a building (school) It's really one sided where one guy is way outnumbered and getting the poo poo kicked out of him, but he just keeps going and giving as good as he gets. It seemed pretty cool and I'd like to see the rest of it.

Long shot as I haven't seen it in like 8 years, but it might be Blue Spring. Even if it isn't, you'd probably enjoy it.

Purple Gromit
Mar 28, 2010

Twitch posted:

This might be really vague, since it's not a movie I've seen, but one I read about on the forums a couple years ago:
A martial arts/sci-fi movie where a guy has a robot heart, I'm definitely not thinking of Crank 2, but I believe it has similar scenes of the dude getting super pumped up and his heart going nuts (possibly also making engine noises). I'm pretty sure it's Japanese but I could be wrong. I don't think it's an obscure movie either, nor one older than maybe late 90s.

-For some reason I thought it was Versus, but after watching it it's definitely not since that was magic powers and zombies. Definitely seemed like the right genre of movie.
-On a random guess that I maybe got a lot of details wrong I watched Redline. Absolutely nothing like the movie I heard about (saw that it involved bionics and co-starred Mark Dacascos) but it was full of Rutger Hauer and boobs so no big loss there.
-I definitely remember hearing/reading about the movie long ago enough that I'm not thinking of Crank 2.

edit: Writing the post jogged my memory a little, if it isn't a Ryűhei Kitamura movie, it might be a Takashi Miike movie.

This could be a movie called Drive http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0116147/
Mark Dacascos has an artificial heart or something.

Dukket
Apr 28, 2007
So I says to her, I says “LADY, that ain't OIL, its DIRT!!”

Twitch posted:

This might be really vague, since it's not a movie I've seen, but one I read about on the forums a couple years ago:
A martial arts/sci-fi movie where a guy has a robot heart, I'm definitely not thinking of Crank 2, but I believe it has similar scenes of the dude getting super pumped up and his heart going nuts (possibly also making engine noises). I'm pretty sure it's Japanese but I could be wrong. I don't think it's an obscure movie either, nor one older than maybe late 90s.

-For some reason I thought it was Versus, but after watching it it's definitely not since that was magic powers and zombies. Definitely seemed like the right genre of movie.
-On a random guess that I maybe got a lot of details wrong I watched Redline. Absolutely nothing like the movie I heard about (saw that it involved bionics and co-starred Mark Dacascos) but it was full of Rutger Hauer and boobs so no big loss there.
-I definitely remember hearing/reading about the movie long ago enough that I'm not thinking of Crank 2.

edit: Writing the post jogged my memory a little, if it isn't a Ryűhei Kitamura movie, it might be a Takashi Miike movie.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0096251/ Tetsuo, the Iron Man

Its been a really long since I've seen this, but I sort of remember something like that from the early in the movie...

slev
Apr 6, 2009

I probably saw this movie 15 years ago, so what I remember is really fuzzy. Anyway, what I do remember is there being these robots that would disguise themselves as humans. At one point I remember the main character cutting a woman's hand so he could check if she was human or not. Even though she bled it turned out she was a robot.

I also think there was a bunch of snow.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

slev posted:

I probably saw this movie 15 years ago, so what I remember is really fuzzy. Anyway, what I do remember is there being these robots that would disguise themselves as humans. At one point I remember the main character cutting a woman's hand so he could check if she was human or not. Even though she bled it turned out she was a robot.

I also think there was a bunch of snow.

Screamers?
Evil robots - Check
Disguised as humans - Check
Snow (at least at some points and the ending) - Check
Stars RoboCop? - Bonus

:siren:Twist ending spoiler.:siren:
Creepy as hell, if I recall correctly everyone except for Peter Weller turns out to be a robot. Even a Teddy Bear

slev
Apr 6, 2009

CzarChasm posted:

Screamers?
Evil robots - Check
Disguised as humans - Check
Snow (at least at some points and the ending) - Check
Stars RoboCop? - Bonus

:siren:Twist ending spoiler.:siren:
Creepy as hell, if I recall correctly everyone except for Peter Weller turns out to be a robot. Even a Teddy Bear

Yep, that's it. Thanks.

SnipeShow
Nov 7, 2009

That dance wasn't as safe as they said it was.

Ok, this is as vague as it can get, but here it goes. I saw this movie at some point when I was really young, early to mid 90s. It was on a vhs tape. The only two things I can remember are loving it, and a scene where this kid looks into a store window (a bakery?) and some crazy poo poo happens with claymation. I recall the claymation smiling at him at some point.

Good luck!

Erasmus Darwin
Mar 6, 2001

SnipeShow posted:

The only two things I can remember are loving it, and a scene where this kid looks into a store window (a bakery?) and some crazy poo poo happens with claymation. I recall the claymation smiling at him at some point.

I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest Watson's drug-induced hallucination from Young Sherlock Holmes. I seem to recall the baked goods smiling before they started shoving themselves in his mouth.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
A group of people are held hostage in a warehouse by guys in hazmat outfits. They have guns and cameras recording hostages making statements and then being executed. I don't remember much else, but they might have all died in a fire fight when one of the hostages gets his hands on an uzi.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

MariusLecter posted:

A group of people are held hostage in a warehouse by guys in hazmat outfits. They have guns and cameras recording hostages making statements and then being executed. I don't remember much else, but they might have all died in a fire fight when one of the hostages gets his hands on an uzi.

S.F.W.?
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0111048/combined
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S.F.W.

VVV Yessss! Beaten like a red-haired stepchild! (I am normally the one who sees one they know but is beaten, badly)

therattle fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Mar 3, 2011

Dukket
Apr 28, 2007

MariusLecter posted:

S.F.W. perhaps?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0111048/

-Held hostage in a store
-I think they wear Hazmat suits - I can't find pix and i'm at work so I have to be carefull with that sort of thing.
-Guns
-recording hostages
-Fire fight with uzis

Not a perfect match, but...

Dukket fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Mar 3, 2011

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

MachineryNoise posted:

The Hole, maybe?

I owe you a massive apology because I posted that and then promptly forgot I had done so, only to come back two weeks later and find you've posted the correct answer and gone completely unthanked for your efforts!

So thank you! I can't believe you identified the movie based purely on my super-dodgy description.

Edit:

I have another I'd like some help with. I remember it had William H. Macy in it and the only scene I remember is a scene with him watching out an upper story window at night while some violent act occurs on the street below - maybe a stabbing, or mugging? He was watching it but failed to act in order to save the person.

putin is a cunt fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Mar 4, 2011

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Gnack posted:

I have another I'd like some help with. I remember it had William H. Macy in it and the only scene I remember is a scene with him watching out an upper story window at night while some violent act occurs on the street below - maybe a stabbing, or mugging? He was watching it but failed to act in order to save the person.

I don't remember it too well, but this might be Focus.

Glass Joe
Mar 9, 2007
Random scene just popped into my head. I want to say it was a thriller: hero guy is in the back seat of a car with some thugs, possibly mobsters, and he escapes by biting a guys nose off. He spits it out afterward.

anticake
Nov 5, 2004

Biscuit Hider
I had a vague memory earlier today. I'm pretty sure it was on Comedy Central in the daytime, but in the 90s when they were mostly running lovely poo poo you've never heard of from the 80s and 70s. Two dudes wind up at the same place, a theatre with a typical theatre name Orpheum, Orpheus, Odeon, pretty sure it started with an O anyway. The two dudes wound up there by figuring out some kind of series of clues. They used different solutions and somehow ended up in the same place. Then they found out that their whole system of solutions was completely hosed, but they happened to end up in the right place by pure chance. I want to say they were detectives, but that might be because they were following clues in a movie which seems to indicate detectives although it could just be a thriller I guess. Although it was on Comedy Central so it was, at least nominally, a comedy. A Thriller Comedy? Detective Comedy seems more likely.

Fissurefury
May 27, 2007

The results of these precious, meaty fingers.
I saw a movie on TV as a child in the 90s that I was only able to catch parts of once. I vaguely remember the hero being a robot or bionic and he was severely damaged toward the end of the movie when his chest-circle-heart thing was damaged. I think he was chased into a warehouse or a rather large building. The antagonist may have been an older male with possibly white hair. The old guy either summoned or turned into this giant monster like Violator from Spawn with a long tail I think. It tore through the building while the hero ran around something like warehouse racks.

This is as much as I could gather while I tried to eat dinner fast enough to be allowed to watch it in the living room.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

therattle posted:

S.F.W.?

VVV Yessss! Beaten like a red-haired stepchild! (I am normally the one who sees one they know but is beaten, badly)

-Held hostage in a store
-I think they wear Hazmat suits - I can't find pix and i'm at work so I have to be carefull with that sort of thing.
-Guns
-recording hostages
-Fire fight with uzis

Yep this is it, found some clips on youtube that show those guys in clean room suits and other bits I'm remembering now.

Great Job!

Dukket
Apr 28, 2007

therattle posted:

S.F.W.?

I was so proud of myself too :(

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Fissurefury posted:

I saw a movie on TV as a child in the 90s that I was only able to catch parts of once. I vaguely remember the hero being a robot or bionic and he was severely damaged toward the end of the movie when his chest-circle-heart thing was damaged. I think he was chased into a warehouse or a rather large building. The antagonist may have been an older male with possibly white hair. The old guy either summoned or turned into this giant monster like Violator from Spawn with a long tail I think. It tore through the building while the hero ran around something like warehouse racks.

This is as much as I could gather while I tried to eat dinner fast enough to be allowed to watch it in the living room.

Its been awhile since I've seen it, but this sounds like The Guyver to me.

Mouser..
Apr 1, 2010

Fissurefury posted:

Are you possibly remembering The Vindicator?

EDIT: ^^^^^The Guyver sounds like a closer match upon further thought.

Mouser.. fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Mar 4, 2011

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Glass Joe posted:

Random scene just popped into my head. I want to say it was a thriller: hero guy is in the back seat of a car with some thugs, possibly mobsters, and he escapes by biting a guys nose off. He spits it out afterward.
Sounds like Shoot Em Up or Crank (but it's been awhile so I'm not sure)

Starscream
Aug 17, 2000

Gnack posted:

This sounds like Stuart Gordon's Edmond, in which William H. Macy is continuously emasculated and humiliated by hookers, gangbangers and pawn shop owners.

Glass Joe
Mar 9, 2007

fenix down posted:

Sounds like Shoot Em Up or Crank (but it's been awhile so I'm not sure)

Neither of those, I should have specified I saw this scene in the mid-90s :(

Captain Equinox
Sep 15, 2005

By day a mild-mannered college professor, by night Kiki, go-go dancer at the Pussycat Club. But twice a year, he's... CAPTAIN EQUINOX!

anticake posted:

I had a vague memory earlier today. I'm pretty sure it was on Comedy Central in the daytime, but in the 90s when they were mostly running lovely poo poo you've never heard of from the 80s and 70s. Two dudes wind up at the same place, a theatre with a typical theatre name Orpheum, Orpheus, Odeon, pretty sure it started with an O anyway. The two dudes wound up there by figuring out some kind of series of clues. They used different solutions and somehow ended up in the same place. Then they found out that their whole system of solutions was completely hosed, but they happened to end up in the right place by pure chance. I want to say they were detectives, but that might be because they were following clues in a movie which seems to indicate detectives although it could just be a thriller I guess. Although it was on Comedy Central so it was, at least nominally, a comedy. A Thriller Comedy? Detective Comedy seems more likely.

This could be Without A Clue starring Michael Caine and Ben Kingsley as Holmes and Watson. The big ending is set in a theatre, and Holmes says that he got there by following the wrong clue, Watson says he'll fix it up when he writes the book.

Here's a clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DXbE1XaBKo

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Gnack posted:

Didn't see a definite yes/no on either of the two suggested guesses so might I add A Slight Case of Murder?

It's a little reversed from what you are looking for (He commits a murder and is discovered by someone watching from below) but it was the closest sounding movie I knew.

CGameProgrammer
Nov 5, 2008
Two horror movies, both of which I only saw like one scene of on TV sometime.

1) A man and woman eating dinner in a Chinese restaurant. They're having a good time, then the fortune cookies arrive. He opens his and it says "You are going to die." Note that I am just assuming this is a horror movie.

2) An evil magic guy has a bunch of idiots basically worshipping him, and in a room with tons of broken glass on the ground, he has them walk/crawl on the glass which they do willingly despite the suffering, to show their devotion to him. Then he makes it rain (indoors IIRC) and the rain causes them to be rooted to and absorbed by the floor, sinking into it until only something like their head and an arm sticks out of the floor. The protagonist later walks by them (he might have been there all along as this all happened) and one floor-victim tries to grab him. Also, later in this movie, he and the evil guy fight, because the protagonist was the evil guy's apprentice once since he was "the only one worthy" unlike the floor-victim idiots, and one of the evil guy's attacks tears the protagonist's brain (though it just hurts him a bit).

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

CGameProgrammer posted:

2) An evil magic guy has a bunch of idiots basically worshipping him, and in a room with tons of broken glass on the ground, he has them walk/crawl on the glass which they do willingly despite the suffering, to show their devotion to him. Then he makes it rain (indoors IIRC) and the rain causes them to be rooted to and absorbed by the floor, sinking into it until only something like their head and an arm sticks out of the floor. The protagonist later walks by them (he might have been there all along as this all happened) and one floor-victim tries to grab him. Also, later in this movie, he and the evil guy fight, because the protagonist was the evil guy's apprentice once since he was "the only one worthy" unlike the floor-victim idiots, and one of the evil guy's attacks tears the protagonist's brain (though it just hurts him a bit).

Clive Barker's Lord of Illusions

Wizchine fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Mar 5, 2011

CGameProgrammer
Nov 5, 2008
Yeah I figured that would be an easy one. Thanks! It's even available on Watch Instantly apparently.

anticake
Nov 5, 2004

Biscuit Hider

Captain Equinox posted:

This could be Without A Clue starring Michael Caine and Ben Kingsley as Holmes and Watson. The big ending is set in a theatre, and Holmes says that he got there by following the wrong clue, Watson says he'll fix it up when he writes the book.

Here's a clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DXbE1XaBKo

The film stock is too new and crisp. It had a very 70s or early 80s at the latest look to it. It might be more correct to say it has that vaguely yellowy fuzzy look I associate with the 70s. Black Dynamite has the same thing going on and they tried to look like a cheap 70s film so I'd guess this is no blockbuster, although I'd already figured that because of where I saw it.

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

CGameProgrammer posted:

1) A man and woman eating dinner in a Chinese restaurant. They're having a good time, then the fortune cookies arrive. He opens his and it says "You are going to die." Note that I am just assuming this is a horror movie.

Not a horror movie, thia was an episode of the 1980's version of "The Twilight Zone" entitled The Misfortune Cookie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

donquixotic
May 1, 2007

Glass Joe posted:

Mel Gibson bites a chunk off someones nose in Conspiracy Theory in order to escape being held captive, wasn't the back seat of a car though.