Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
I think it's safe to say that Lady Gaga is probably not racist against Latinos and Asians but was just struggling for a rhyme for those cultures.

I am still unsure about the shoutout for the Lebanese.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755
Everyone loves the Lebanese.

El Gar
Apr 12, 2007

Hey Trophy...

angerbot posted:

I think it's safe to say that Lady Gaga is probably not racist against Latinos and Asians but was just struggling for a rhyme for those cultures.

I am still unsure about the shoutout for the Lebanese.

C'mon man they never get shoutouts.

Also does nobody realize that occident and orient are the olde timey words for east and west?

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!
As a Lebanese-American I heartily approve of the shout out.

Divorced And Curious
Jan 23, 2009

democracy depends on sausage sizzles

wraithgar posted:

C'mon man they never get shoutouts.

Also does nobody realize that occident and orient are the olde timey words for east and west?

If by "olde timey" you mean "French words that are a part of the modern French language", then yes.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

The orient part isn't a pun referring to both Asians and sexual orientation?

El Gar
Apr 12, 2007

Hey Trophy...

weekly font posted:

Oh man I didn't even think about that, mystery solved.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I'll listen to it again later but I swear I hear shades of Madonna's Express Yourself in the music.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

Gaga has what she calls her 'Chola Tattoo', it says "Little Monsters" in a ornate script (photo: http://oi51.tinypic.com/2qi3eo8.jpg), so if anything she's using the term fondly.

the escape goat fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Mar 2, 2011

realqueenbetty
Nov 2, 2005

And then swing your swift sword, sister
Swing your swift sword now
Swing your swift sword, sister, sister
Swing your swift sword now
WTF was the Chola dynasty?

Mediant
Dec 23, 2010

In Brightest Day...
In Dankest Night...
Hard hitting political pop anthem, that's what this is.

Neena
May 11, 2007

No male will ever handle my massive CoX!
Wait, I meant boobs! Wait!
FISTS, Shit!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cholo

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chola_Dynasty

Yeah I'm pretty sure she was referring to Latinas.

new page new gif

Firequirks
Apr 15, 2007

weekly font posted:

I've searched through my history and can't find it, but I read an article shortly after the single was released that mentioned the "Lebanese" and "Orient" references. The author pointed to them both being references to their "lesbian" and "orientation" pun counterparts. I had a bit of a smack-my-forehead-duh moment when I read it.

ArmoredBlue
Jul 1, 2007

Furthering the gay Mexican agenda.
Regarding the use of "Orient", here's a helpful wikipedia link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orientalism#Edward_Said_and_.22Orientalism.22

Basically, the idea is that it refers to the way the West/white people view people of the area (also, as someone said, defining them from the Western point of view). Specifically, the area/people have been portrayed as "exotic" and "barbaric" and have been reduced down to a 1001 Arabian Nights stereotype (think Aladdin), but more recently as "brown people = terorrism and jihad". You never hear many good humanitarian stories coming from the area, do you?

It is, at the least, ignorant (along with chola, which I'm sure is not referring to the dynasty) and unfortunate. :( :(

ANYWAY, I like the video after letting it sink it and seeing it again. :)

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

ArmoredBlue posted:

Regarding the use of "Orient", here's a helpful wikipedia link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orientalism#Edward_Said_and_.22Orientalism.22
Your Wikipedia link isn't any more valid to this than the other 10 links posted.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Firequirks posted:

I've searched through my history and can't find it, but I read an article shortly after the single was released that mentioned the "Lebanese" and "Orient" references. The author pointed to them both being references to their "lesbian" and "orientation" pun counterparts. I had a bit of a smack-my-forehead-duh moment when I read it.
Yeah, I'm not certain that's the intent but it definitely makes a very curiously worded section sound a lot less bizarre.

ArmoredBlue
Jul 1, 2007

Furthering the gay Mexican agenda.

Crows Turn Off posted:

Your Wikipedia link isn't any more valid to this than the other 10 links posted.

I didn't see any other links other than the ones abouts cholas, which is a different thing? :confused:

quote:

I'm hoping this was the intention, but unfortunately intention is largely irrelevant. I'm kind of surprised she hasn't said anything about it (or perhaps no one's said anything to her about it).

Orunitier
Dec 5, 2010

Gatts posted:

I'll listen to it again later but I swear I hear shades of Madonna's Express Yourself in the music.

LYRICS:
I'm beautiful in my way,
'Cause God makes no mistakes
I'm on the right track, baby
I was born this way

Don't hide yourself in regret,
Just love yourself and you're set
I'm on the right track, baby
I was born this way

SOUND LIKE:
Express yourself
[You've got to make him]
Express himself
Hey, hey, hey, hey
So if you want it right now, make him show you how
Express what he's got, oh baby ready or not
Express yourself
[You've got to make him]
So you can respect yourself
Hey, hey
So if you want it right now, then make him show you how
Express what he's got, oh baby ready or not

I'm suprised no one else realized that the main verse sounds like "Waterfalls", only up tempo.

emoticon
May 8, 2007
;)

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

I've always heard "People are Asian. Things are oriental".
I don't think it's that offensive, it's just not considered proper.

The term isn't offensive, but no one refers to Asians as "orientals" any more unless they are old and white.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

When everyone started comparing Born this Way to Express Yourself I for some reason assumed they were talking about the NWA song. That was pretty confusing.

Architect Eyes
Aug 21, 2007
God dammit, this is my favourite video she's done yet. She's so inspirational to me - it's crazy. As soon as the single hit the radio waves, the first thing I thought of was, 'How is she going to top what she's done before?'

Fishylungs
Jan 12, 2008
So I saw The Monster Ball on Monday.

She's so amazing. :3: Everything about it was great, and before telephone, first someone tossed up a stuffed Paul Stanley and a unicorn along with all the Barbies and she said "If you think I'm biting off the head of Paul Stanly you've got another thing coming. I've met Kiss, and Paul is wonderful man. You know, if you're going to worship anyone, worship Kiss" She then proceeded to give Paul and the unicorn a seat.

The whole thing was just amazing, and I'd kill to go again.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Orunitier posted:

LYRICS:
I'm suprised no one else realized that the main verse sounds like "Waterfalls", only up tempo.

I noticed it initially as well. Though for me all the similarities have kind of worn off after repeated listens. It's a solid song and stands on it's own. It may borrow a bit but it gives as well. I wish the song had a better bridge, she usually has really neat bridges.

I find that most radio pop music these days seems to sound like pieces of past pop songs rearranged into a new song.

1up
Jan 4, 2005

5-up
In a half hour [3 pm EST], the Thierry Mugler show will be live streaming, which features 'Government Hooker' and Gaga walking the runway.

edit: 45 minutes after it was supposed to start, they're finishing up preparations to actually start the show. Gaga asking for runway walk tips is adorable though. :3:

edit2: The Scheiße/Government Hooker/Born This Way remix they used during the runway show was loving flawless. Worth watching the ugly, ugly clothes and poor models tripping from the horrible shoes.

1up fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Mar 2, 2011

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I hated the intro to Government Hooker, but then LOVED the rest. Much better than the sheiße remix, and I really liked the sheiße mix.

Neena
May 11, 2007

No male will ever handle my massive CoX!
Wait, I meant boobs! Wait!
FISTS, Shit!
I haven't had a chance to see it yet (loving work, loving phone with no flash) but this seriously makes me smile.
derekblasberg Please note @LadyGaga's finale caused Anna Wintour to smile, an event I haven't seen since Lee McQueen's They Shoot Horses show in Oct 2003.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

HookShot posted:

I hated the intro to Government Hooker, but then LOVED the rest. Much better than the sheiße remix, and I really liked the sheiße mix.

Anyone have a link to it?

E:NM

E2: Good god, I don't know what's uglier, the clothes or the models.

Vince MechMahon fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Mar 3, 2011

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Here's the first true mashup I've heard of "Born This Way" and "Express Yourself":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0PvggdjkKE&feature=related

Dancingthroughlife
Dec 15, 2009

Will dance for cupcakes
So what is with the Illuminati stuff. Is she just doing it for fun, or is she a believer?

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Dancingthroughlife posted:

So what is with the Illuminati stuff. Is she just doing it for fun, or is she a believer?
I mean, she technically could believe it, but I can almost guarantee it's just for fun. It makes for good, recognizable imagery, just like Biblical themes.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Well staying to the very end of the video she even has the gap in tooth like Madonna so I guess I shouldn't have been surprised.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

Heres the link, I don't think it's been posted yet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqXSB7glctg&feature=player_embedded

Government Hooker is going to be yet another #1 hit. gently caress me this song is awesome.

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

How many times must I remind you to WASH YOUR HANDS?

I love skull boy out of nowhere. "Some lady paid me to follow her around and look spooky" must be the best job.

Neena posted:

I haven't had a chance to see it yet (loving work, loving phone with no flash) but this seriously makes me smile.
derekblasberg Please note @LadyGaga's finale caused Anna Wintour to smile, an event I haven't seen since Lee McQueen's They Shoot Horses show in Oct 2003.

This is kind of hilarious.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

Making Anna Wintour smile is like making a Unicorn cry. Yeah I'm sure it happens, but you'll never see it.

I loved The September Issue, Grace Coddington has a RIDICULOUS amount of patience. The photography they toss out is just cringe worthy, all that time spent styling, preparing, setting up the set....and in a second Anna is like "hmmmm........nah"

Wormophile
Jul 22, 2007

me am fun

somnambulist posted:

Government Hooker is going to be yet another #1 hit. gently caress me this song is awesome.

gently caress me I love fashion sometimes.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

somnambulist posted:

Yeah, that's a good song.

Man, some of those models are SO SKINNY. I know it's old hat to bring that up, and I usually love skinny girls, but good lord!

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Crows Turn Off posted:

Yeah, that's a good song.

Man, some of those models are SO SKINNY. I know it's old hat to bring that up, and I usually love skinny girls, but good lord!

The whole point of fashion models is to essentially be walking coat hangers. They're supposed to be bland and disappear into the clothing. That they ever became considered a standard of beauty is a bizarre social fluke more than anything.

Wormophile
Jul 22, 2007

me am fun
It's a double win for me because I like the new song and the collection :allears: I absolutely love Gaga's hair like that as well.
Also her rear end puts all their papery little bottoms to shame.

Chim
Jun 23, 2004
Shop Smart, Shop S-Mart!
is government hooker the song that plays at the beginning of the thierry mugler show? Cause it sounds just like New Order's - blue monday. Intentional?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

I'm glad they found a use for Moria after the Balrog wrecked it.

Anyways, that song is pretty badass. I can hear the slight resemblance to Blue Monday which is far from a bad thing for me.

• Locked thread