Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
I lost my old-cover copies in a house fire and only rebought them recently so they're all the blurry photo style covers except excession :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Newtie
Dec 4, 2008

I hope that Banks can return to the universe he established for The Algebraist one day. Its world-building, harder-edged constraints (no FTL without wormholes, fleets taking relative centuries to make long trips, etc) & portrayal of the galaxy-encompassing Mercatorial bureaucracy really appealed to me where the Culture universe is beginning to become a little stale, given, as mentioned, the general invulnerability of the Minds & their human hangers-on.

syphon
Jan 1, 2001
You should check out Alistair Reynolds... particularly the Revelation series. There's no FTL travel in his series either, and I think it makes for a really really interesting sci-fi setting. The crews of most spaceships are used to several hundred years passing by whenever they travel to different worlds... and there's one particular convoy that departs earth, and 3 generations go by on the ship before it actually arrives at its destination. I thought he dealt with the culture (no pun intended) of such a scenario in a very interesting manner.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Since we are pimping non-FTL novels "A Deepness in the Sky" is pretty great in that it describes how a culture (no pun intended) of slower than light travel merchants arose.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

syphon posted:

You should check out Alistair Reynolds... particularly the Revelation series. There's no FTL travel in his series either, and I think it makes for a really really interesting sci-fi setting. The crews of most spaceships are used to several hundred years passing by whenever they travel to different worlds... and there's one particular convoy that departs earth, and 3 generations go by on the ship before it actually arrives at its destination. I thought he dealt with the culture (no pun intended) of such a scenario in a very interesting manner.

Seconding this. Reynolds has all sorts of flaws - janky pacing, some weird prose quirks - but everything about Revelation Space and Redemption Ark was cold and mechanistic and gothic and brutal. Tremendously atmospheric, almost the opposite of the Culture books.

Plus the Ultras have ship names almost as awesome as the Minds.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
I thought the Pre-Melding Plague stuff we saw in The Prefect was a lot like a dark, slightly less advanced, gothic take on the Culture.

syphon
Jan 1, 2001
I love having relativity being a factor in the stories. During the aforementioned "3 generation voyage across the stars", there's a bit about how the various ships were doing their best to shed any excess weight. Having a lighter ship meant that they could hold off 'braking' on their approach by an extra few seconds, which had the relative effect of them arriving at the planet 10 years earlier. I love reading about that kind of poo poo.

While I love the culture novels, Banks tends to just hand-wave his explanation of FTL travel (or rather, he doesn't discuss it at all).

0mnigeek
Apr 13, 2008

War. War never changes.

syphon posted:

I love having relativity being a factor in the stories. During the aforementioned "3 generation voyage across the stars", there's a bit about how the various ships were doing their best to shed any excess weight. Having a lighter ship meant that they could hold off 'braking' on their approach by an extra few seconds, which had the relative effect of them arriving at the planet 10 years earlier. I love reading about that kind of poo poo.

While I love the culture novels, Banks tends to just hand-wave his explanation of FTL travel (or rather, he doesn't discuss it at all).

Agreed, lack of FTL makes me warm in the pants. Though Banks makes up for it a little by having large time frame between his books and by not allowing instant travel which is something.

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings

syphon posted:

I don't think this is necessarily the case, Banks deals with it by simply noting that The Culture has a loving gigantic area of influence and things can take a while. Sure he doesn't get down into how things go fast, but he definitely takes into account distances and travel times - it's just a non-issue in his books because it's a non-issue to his characters for the most part. Sure his ships go "fast" but there's no "instant point to point" travel like with the Algebraist's wormholes. In at least a couple of his books, The Player of Games for instance, characters(Gurgeh) contemplate the huge time they'll be separated from their 'home'. Gurgeh spends years travelling but because it's somewhat normal we don't spend huge portions of the book worrying about the trip itself as a gigantic undertaking. Immortality dulls the importance of a few years spent at high speed travelling the galaxy.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Cuntpunch posted:

I don't think this is necessarily the case, Banks deals with it by simply noting that The Culture has a loving gigantic area of influence and things can take a while. Sure he doesn't get down into how things go fast, but he definitely takes into account distances and travel times - it's just a non-issue in his books because it's a non-issue to his characters for the most part. Sure his ships go "fast" but there's no "instant point to point" travel like with the Algebraist's wormholes. In at least a couple of his books, The Player of Games for instance, characters(Gurgeh) contemplate the huge time they'll be separated from their 'home'. Gurgeh spends years travelling but because it's somewhat normal we don't spend huge portions of the book worrying about the trip itself as a gigantic undertaking. Immortality dulls the importance of a few years spent at high speed travelling the galaxy.

Also the fact that interstellar travel involves life on a ship that is its own world with billions of inhabitants, a unique subculture, and instantaneous communication with any other point in the Culture probably takes some of the sting out of it.

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

I'm doing a project for university whereby I'm going to illustrate all 10 Culture novel covers.

I just want to ask goons what kind of things would they like to see on the covers that maybe aren't something you would directly expect. It doesn't have to be that subtle, though for example I did think of doing the beach scene from Use of Weapons, probably one of the most evocative scenes in the book imo.

I already like the series of UK covers for the fact that they don't immediately scream THIS IS A SCI-FI BOOK with space ships zooming about and so on, but they are rather ambiguous.

Also what do you guys imagine ship Minds to 'look like'.

Entropic posted:

Well, there's the weird not-really-a-spoiler-unless-someone-tells-you-it-is one with the chair on the cover, and then there's the cheesy '80s generic SF one with the space-plane, are there any others?

This is from a while back but on the mock-up I have for Use of Weapons at the moment I haven't strayed too far from the current UK cover version. I have the ship on the front but on the back I've mocked up a chair actually made from bones.

Would people consider that a massive spoiler?

Graviton v2
Mar 2, 2007

by angerbeet

BastardySkull posted:

Also what do you guys imagine ship Minds to 'look like'.
In Consider Phlebas the runaway mind is described in fairly good detail. Its a silvery epsiliod about 3 meters long. Like a blob of floating mercury.

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

Graviton v2 posted:

In Consider Phlebas the runaway mind is described in fairly good detail. Its a silvery epsiliod about 3 meters long. Like a blob of floating mercury.

Yeah I should have worded this better. I'm wondering how people imagine them to look like 'inside'. I'm guessing that would just be some sort of containment field/vessel. I've always imagined them to be similar to the positronic brains from the I, Robot movie.

I'm thinking about featuring the Mind from Consider Phlebas as described on the cover for that book though. The previous covers for that book all seem to be the Orbital sea.

FelchTragedy
Jul 2, 2002

FelchTragedy.
Internet, I call forth your power!
Let's T_Roll.
Consider Phlebas: The game of damage.
Player of games: Fire rolling across a planet surface. Or that web game.
Use of weapons: A bed full of catemites.
Excession: A bat with it's wings torn off and a tennis racket.
Look to windward: Cable car plate continent. Or lava canoe
Matter: Floating dildo drone.
Surface Detail: A vision of the hell.

Fearsum Enjin:Disembodied head with it's tongue saying "Gibibibibi"
Algebraist:Dweller barge. Or people lined up and encased in that wrap as they are about to fired out of Luicferous' space ship

Not read Inversions or Against a dark background yet.

FelchTragedy fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Feb 20, 2011

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

BastardySkull posted:

Yeah I should have worded this better. I'm wondering how people imagine them to look like 'inside'. I'm guessing that would just be some sort of containment field/vessel. I've always imagined them to be similar to the positronic brains from the I, Robot movie.
That might be about right. I remember reading that most of the Mind is in another higher dimension or something. The Mind we can see is just the anchor to the world and there are biological parts as well I think.

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

alkanphel posted:

That might be about right. I remember reading that most of the Mind is in another higher dimension or something. The Mind we can see is just the anchor to the world and there are biological parts as well I think.

There is quite a detailed description of a drones photonic/semi-biological/electronic brain at the beginning of Excession but they are different.

Its interesting to visualise anyway.

Does anyone have any ideas of what they'd personally like to see on covers? Don't just say scenes from books though, thats not what I'm going for.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

alkanphel posted:

This is right, at some point it's explicitly mentioned that most of the mind's structure and processing capability resides in hyperspace.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

andrew smash posted:

This is right, at some point it's explicitly mentioned that most of the mind's structure and processing capability resides in hyperspace.

Allowing minds to think faster than light.

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Inversions: Mortar/pestle; dagger; bottle of perfume; crown; all of them laying on a blanket with ragged edges

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY
use of weapons has got to be the chair

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

Seldom Posts posted:

Inversions: Mortar/pestle; dagger; bottle of perfume; crown; all of them laying on a blanket with ragged edges

Inversions isn't strictly 'A Culture novel' so I'm not doing it I'm afraid! I haven't even read it actually, I should get round to it.

coffeetable posted:

use of weapons has got to be the chair

Yeah this is going on the back. I've actually mocked up the front covers of 2 already just to try and get a feel for the style. Keeping a slightly modified version of the current text with the same font for now.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

BastardySkull posted:

Inversions isn't strictly 'A Culture novel' so I'm not doing it I'm afraid! I haven't even read it actually, I should get round to it.

Yeah this is going on the back. I've actually mocked up the front covers of 2 already just to try and get a feel for the style. Keeping a slightly modified version of the current text with the same font for now.

Pretty nice covers dude, you appreciate them more once you've read through the books.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

BastardySkull posted:

These look pretty sweet, but the Use of Weapons cover is almost exactly the same as the actual cover. Exact same ship, exact same angle, exact same size.

Shakespearean Beef
Jul 12, 2008

Ask me all about how I proudly marched alongside literal NEO-NAZIS to protest against the GOVERNMENT taking away our FREEDOMS because of nothing mote that the common FLU!!! I'm holding aloft the TORCH of FREEDOM!!

Strom Cuzewon posted:

These look pretty sweet, but the Use of Weapons cover is almost exactly the same as the actual cover. Exact same ship, exact same angle, exact same size.

BastardySkull posted:

This is from a while back but on the mock-up I have for Use of Weapons at the moment I haven't strayed too far from the current UK cover version. I have the ship on the front but on the back I've mocked up a chair actually made from bones.

Yeah he knows

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Good books!

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Unfortunately battleships are battleships, but I am considering changing the angle and doing the scene where he's hallucinating and falling through layers of air, then sea, and I think a boat as well while in incredible pain and the Staberinde is on the horizon. I did say

BastardySkull posted:

It is very similar and I'm not too happy about it but the ship and chair are the two main plot points. If you have any other ides I'd be grateful.

lamb SAUCE
Nov 1, 2005

Ooh, racist.
Just finished Use of Weapons.

God. drat. :gonk: That was heart-wrenching and well done. Definitely going to give it another go at some point.

One my absolute favorite books. I dug the structure, reminded me a bit of Memento. Worked really well.

Graviton v2
Mar 2, 2007

by angerbeet

Zimadori Zinger posted:

Just finished Use of Weapons.

God. drat. :gonk: That was heart-wrenching and well done. Definitely going to give it another go at some point.

One my absolute favorite books. I dug the structure, reminded me a bit of Memento. Worked really well.
It is a cracker isnt it. Thats one of my go to books whenever I attempt to convince a non-nerd to try a bit of sci-fi. Rarely works :(

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Graviton v2 posted:

It is a cracker isnt it. Thats one of my go to books whenever I attempt to convince a non-nerd to try a bit of sci-fi. Rarely works :(

are you at all surprised by this?

Graviton v2
Mar 2, 2007

by angerbeet

andrew smash posted:

are you at all surprised by this?
In my mind it should work, but then I was writing computer programs at the age of 8.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I just finished Use of Weapons, right about now.

Sweet Jesus. I got spoiled on the nature of the chair but not on the identity of the Chairmaker. So I went into the final stretch feeling all :smug: and then what the gently caress Zakalwe is THAT GUY

Definitely the best Culture book. Though ironic in that it's hardly about the Culture.

I found it ironic how the chair was the first and in a way most powerful manifestation of Elothemiel's ability to turn anything into a weapon; thus the title I suppose. He ultimately won the war, right? Was there any science fictional justification given for Elothemiel coming to possess his memories so vividly?

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

General Battuta posted:

I found it ironic how the chair was the first and in a way most powerful manifestation of Elothemiel's ability to turn anything into a weapon; thus the title I suppose. He ultimately won the war, right? Was there any science fictional justification given for Elothemiel coming to possess his memories so vividly?

He doesn't possess his memories. The whole book is in third person, and the parts about Zakalwe are about Zakalwe. That doesn't mean that Elothemiel has his memories, he was close enough to Zakalwe to know all about him to the point where he knows that sending him the Chair will force him to commit suicide. Its here that he takes over.

e: I think this quote from here points out why there is trouble with this.

"As it turns out, Banks doesn't provide us with the defining moment of his protagonist's life. That would be showing us the decision to use Darckense as he did, and more importantly, the moment at which he realized that to do so was a terrible mistake. Without that moment of transformation, Zakalwe ceases to make any sense--we can't reconcile the monster with the irreparably damaged man."

BastardySkull fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Mar 7, 2011

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

I dunno, that didn't give me trouble. Some things speak well enough when only implied.

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

General Battuta posted:

I dunno, that didn't give me trouble. Some things speak well enough when only implied.

Yeah I agree but a lot of people seem to get confused with it.

parsleyc
Sep 28, 2007

BastardySkull posted:

I really, really like your covers. The only nitpick I have with it is that the "I" and "M." in "Iain M." are in white and they are right up against the white background of the covers. Perhaps you could shrink "Iain M." just a teeny little bit so it all fits within the black "Banks".

I'd love to see more.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot

FelchTragedy posted:

ROU: Reversing bus Blunder

It took him about 10 seconds.

I don't get it. :( (Am I having a Mr Thicky moment?)

Just finished Surface Detail last night. loving loved Demeisen/Falling Outside the Normal Moral Constraints. Oddly, I semi-guessed the Zakalwe reveal but that was probably because I re-read Use of Weapons just before and wondered why Zakalwe wasn't involved in the Hell war.

I can't find my copy of Excession to reread. No Infinite Fun Space for me. :smith:

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

rejutka posted:

I don't get it. :( (Am I having a Mr Thicky moment?)

Just finished Surface Detail last night. loving loved Demeisen/Falling Outside the Normal Moral Constraints. Oddly, I semi-guessed the Zakalwe reveal but that was probably because I re-read Use of Weapons just before and wondered why Zakalwe wasn't involved in the Hell war.

I can't find my copy of Excession to reread. No Infinite Fun Space for me. :smith:

blunderbuss

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
Oh Jesus, I was having a Mr Thicky moment.

In amends, a ship name I'd like to see - ROU Smile When You Say That

Crash BandiCute
Nov 8, 2004

Dona Nobis Pacem
He's speaking in Glasgow on Saturday, if anyone is interested. Part of the Aye Write festival.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings
Just finished Surface Detail. The reveal at the end. Oh my.

What I don't quite understand though is where he even fits in. I recognize that he was a plant by the pro-Hell side into the anti-Hell forces, but exactly how then did he even end up working against the Culture and for which of the other L8s? Did I miss some glaring hints somewhere or are those questions left entirely for speculation?

• Locked thread