Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

brc64 posted:

Oh, best features of CM7 that I've found so far: ability to use volume buttons to take a picture in the Camera app.

EVO doesn't have a dedicated camera button, and doing this feels a hell of a lot more natural than pressing the shutter button on the screen.

Pfft.
Best feature is using the (hold) Volume up/down w/ screen off to change music tracks, and (hold) camera button (g2) to pause/play.

I use my phone to listen while riding my bike/snowboarding. I love not needing to turn the screen on and using my nose/taking gloves off to change the music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

Rohaq posted:

Go into the Camera app, hit the menu button, Advanced Settings, Pre-focus

I was looking in the CM Settings menu...I don't think I ever even realized there was an advanced menu for the camera.

Thanks!

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

deong posted:

Pfft.
Best feature is using the (hold) Volume up/down w/ screen off to change music tracks, and (hold) camera button (g2) to pause/play.

I use my phone to listen while riding my bike/snowboarding. I love not needing to turn the screen on and using my nose/taking gloves off to change the music.
Yeeeesss, this! I love this feature and it boggles me why nobody but Cyanogen and Sony Ericsson do this!

Do you find that when you load/unload music on your SD card with CM7 that all your ringtones change? It's a bug that's really been annoying me lately.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
I don't think I've actually added any music since I moved to CM7. I have about 4g on there now that I cycle through, using Pandora when I've got my charger on hand.

I prefer the HTC notifications, so I've got /media/audio/(alarms, notifications, ringtones). I don't think I'm using any stock CM7 sounds.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

It's the alarms on my SD card that I have for myself that get changed when I modify any music or alarms on my SD card. I don't use the built-in CM7 ones either, though I'm tempted to see if that would fix the issue.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Zero VGS posted:

Virgin Mobile goons (assuming I'm not the only one), did anyone else see this?

http://forum.androidcentral.com/optimus-v/62730-zefies-cm7-optimus-v-current-02232011-a.html

Optimus V has a CM7 build? News to me! I think I'll try it out when I get home, but I've never done any Cyanogen before, I haven't even figured out how to do a nandroid backup. All I've done before is rooted my phones, done Titanium Backup, and put the Sprint 2.2 on a VM Intercept.

Woo, took me a few hours but I figured out how to do a nandroid, and installed this Cyanogen build. I gotta say, all the effort was worth it: the greatest feature by far of CM7 is this "TV off" thing when I sleep the screen.

EDIT: Also I don't drink but the feature to make you do math problems before allowing you to dial your ex is pretty amazing.

EDIT 1.5: Extremely important for Optimus users - I can confirm Wiimote pairing works with CM7. This is currently the only way to pair your wiimote with the phone. Stock 2.2 can't do it due to programming limitations.

EDIT 2: OK, so uh, can I get away with just restoring my apps from Titanium Backup, or do I need to put everything back in from scratch?

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Mar 1, 2011

CombatMedic
Feb 26, 2004

ANUDDAH SUCCESSFOOL PRECEEDJUH!
Can someone link me to a guide to root an EVO with Froyo? My wife got a replacement EVO and I haven't messed with rooting since I did my phone at launch. XDA is confusing.

CombatMedic fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Mar 1, 2011

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~

Zero VGS posted:

EDIT 2: OK, so uh, can I get away with just restoring my apps from Titanium Backup, or do I need to put everything back in from scratch?

Once you open the Market it should re-download and install your apps. You shouldn't need to "put everything back in from scratch", but you may need to use Titanium Backup to restore some apps that the Market may have missed, and especially to restore the data to those apps (like angry birds levels, saved passwords/settings for a program, etc).

CombatMedic posted:

Can someone link me to a guide to root an EVO with Froyo? My wife got a replacement EVO and I haven't messed with rooting since I did my phone at launch. XDA is confusing.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=838448 should be what you're looking for.

SmartCunt
Feb 10, 2005
hey whats up
So I'm just barely getting into rooting on my droid X. The rooting process was a breeze with Z4root, backed up info with clockwork and titanium backup and then installed my first ROM: ApeX 1.4.1

So far, this is much easier than I thought and I'm really excited to get more into it. My one problem, however, has been restoring what I guess I would call my 'user' data; most importantly full contacts and SMS history. The default verizon program, "backup assistant" as well as gmail account sync are nice and straightforward, but they also don't seem to do anything. After syncing both of them on my spankin' new ROM, my SMS history is still empty and my contact list has only the dozen or so people with whom I communicate with via gmail, out of 200+ phone numbers.

I've heard of people manually editing their gmail account to contain all of their phone numbers and downloading a program that essentially makes a backup of SMS conversations by sending a copy of every SMS to your inbox, but this seems really clunky to me; I suppose it would be a good idea for when I have some time, but I don't understand why I can't have an automated storage process for what probably amounts to a couple megabytes of decimals and characters.

I was thinking of of doing a full apps+data backup and restore using Titanium, but I'm wary about restoring 'data' from stock after wiping and installing a ROM.
Fake edit - I tried it anyways, no contacts or SMS restoration.

So, any tips? Should I just download a 3rd party sms and contact backup app? It seems like there should be some elegant solution.

EDIT: I've just noticed that I have contacts which I've acquired since purchasing the phone, but no others. Can anyone explain why this would be the case?

SmartCunt fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Mar 1, 2011

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Lowen SoDium posted:

I had the same problem.

Flashing back to a sense rom, dialing ##gpsclrx# and entering my MSL code fixed it. Pain in the rear end, I know, but it did work.

Note to self: do not flash and do a full wipe just before jumping in a car, as I was then unable to sign into Google due to the newer 2 step signin. Ooops.

Also, Titanium Backup apparently does not backup ringtones tied to specific contacts. That is getting very irritating.

Sizzlechest
May 7, 2007
Anyone have a link for Miguel's kernel for CM 7 with the smartass governor? It's been pulled from XDA.

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006

deong posted:

Pfft.

I did like this, until I got a pair of these: Surprising good quality Bluetooth headphones for under 20 quid, and a decent battery life to boot!

mea gulpa
May 25, 2006

SmartCunt posted:

So I'm just barely getting into rooting on my droid X. The rooting process was a breeze with Z4root, backed up info with clockwork and titanium backup and then installed my first ROM: ApeX 1.4.1

So far, this is much easier than I thought and I'm really excited to get more into it. My one problem, however, has been restoring what I guess I would call my 'user' data; most importantly full contacts and SMS history. The default verizon program, "backup assistant" as well as gmail account sync are nice and straightforward, but they also don't seem to do anything. After syncing both of them on my spankin' new ROM, my SMS history is still empty and my contact list has only the dozen or so people with whom I communicate with via gmail, out of 200+ phone numbers.

I've heard of people manually editing their gmail account to contain all of their phone numbers and downloading a program that essentially makes a backup of SMS conversations by sending a copy of every SMS to your inbox, but this seems really clunky to me; I suppose it would be a good idea for when I have some time, but I don't understand why I can't have an automated storage process for what probably amounts to a couple megabytes of decimals and characters.

I was thinking of of doing a full apps+data backup and restore using Titanium, but I'm wary about restoring 'data' from stock after wiping and installing a ROM.
Fake edit - I tried it anyways, no contacts or SMS restoration.

So, any tips? Should I just download a 3rd party sms and contact backup app? It seems like there should be some elegant solution.

EDIT: I've just noticed that I have contacts which I've acquired since purchasing the phone, but no others. Can anyone explain why this would be the case?

For backing up contacts, I would assume just about everyone here uses Google Contacts. It should have backed them up and restored your contacts automatically when you installed your new ROM, but I have a Droid X as well and syncing was kindy funny at first, but eventually I got it to work with some fiddling around.

I don't use any kind of SMS backup, but I see people recommend this: SMS Backup

When restoring with Titanium Backup, you shouldn't worry too much as long as your only restoring apps + app data. You'd only run into problems if you try restoring system data on a new ROM.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

Duckman2008 posted:

Note to self: do not flash and do a full wipe just before jumping in a car, as I was then unable to sign into Google due to the newer 2 step signin. Ooops.

Also, Titanium Backup apparently does not backup ringtones tied to specific contacts. That is getting very irritating.

I almost did this the other day...Thank god I remembered...

quadratic
May 2, 2002
f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c

Ashex posted:

It does have proper support, RTL isn't all there in the stock apps though (at least in CM6 it was spotty). I'm kinda hooked on Sense so I'm trying to find a way to keep it.

Just thought I'd follow up since I've been running CM7 for the last day. There is partial Arabic support, but it's not very usable at the moment. In gmail everything looks fine in the list view, but when you open the actual message up it's LTR and unconnected. It's similar in the browser: Arabic looks fine in bookmarks or history, but actual page content renders incorrectly. :sigh:

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Check out the awful Pipboy theme I cobbled together for my brand new CM7 phone. I'm using green render effects, I nabbed some fallout icons from a crappy theme and set them as my dock icons, and cobbled together the wallpaper myself using in-game screenshots.

Edit: Oh, I actually figured out how to set custom icons for normal icons now, as opposed to just the dock. I'll see about pipping the rest of the icons.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Mar 2, 2011

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!

quadratic posted:

Just thought I'd follow up since I've been running CM7 for the last day. There is partial Arabic support, but it's not very usable at the moment. In gmail everything looks fine in the list view, but when you open the actual message up it's LTR and unconnected. It's similar in the browser: Arabic looks fine in bookmarks or history, but actual page content renders incorrectly. :sigh:

I don't recall what phone you had, but try using one of ardoids' patches.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

What's up with the new CM7 nightlys being on hold?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Is there a way to get my Nook Color not to turn off wifi whenever the screen turns off?

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Skeezy posted:

What's up with the new CM7 nightlys being on hold?

Merging in 2.3.3

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

big mean giraffe posted:

Merging in 2.3.3

Cool beans.

quadratic
May 2, 2002
f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c

Ashex posted:

I don't recall what phone you had, but try using one of ardoids' patches.

Vibrant. I may give the Nexus S patch a try and hope it doesn't blow up.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!

quadratic posted:

Vibrant. I may give the Nexus S patch a try and hope it doesn't blow up.

That probably won't work :/ But if you decide to try it, make a nandroid backup or just backup the files that are in the ardoid zip.

quadratic
May 2, 2002
f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c

Ashex posted:

That probably won't work :/ But if you decide to try it, make a nandroid backup or just backup the files that are in the ardoid zip.

It didn't work, but it was worth a shot.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

TheJoker138 posted:

Is there a way to get my Nook Color not to turn off wifi whenever the screen turns off?
I don't have an NC but does it work the same as regular Android phones (Settings > Wireless & Networks > Wi-Fi settings *Menu button* Advanced > Wi-Fi sleep policy > Never)?

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.

Zero VGS posted:

Check out the awful Pipboy theme I cobbled together for my brand new CM7 phone. I'm using green render effects, I nabbed some fallout icons from a crappy theme and set them as my dock icons, and cobbled together the wallpaper myself using in-game screenshots.

Edit: Oh, I actually figured out how to set custom icons for normal icons now, as opposed to just the dock. I'll see about pipping the rest of the icons.

Just a reminder if you're running an AMOLED Screen, green is basically the worst way to run it with regards to burn-in and wearing out the screen. If you're LCD, then don't worry.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

mea gulpa posted:

For backing up contacts, I would assume just about everyone here uses Google Contacts. It should have backed them up and restored your contacts automatically when you installed your new ROM, but I have a Droid X as well and syncing was kindy funny at first, but eventually I got it to work with some fiddling around.

I don't use any kind of SMS backup, but I see people recommend this: SMS Backup

When restoring with Titanium Backup, you shouldn't worry too much as long as your only restoring apps + app data. You'd only run into problems if you try restoring system data on a new ROM.

http://www.appbrain.com/app/sms-backup/com.zegoggles.smssync instead of that SMS Backup.

big mean giraffe posted:

Merging in 2.3.3

Too bad their are giant gently caress-off issues with CM7 for NC right now, like the Market being half broken. It sucks, I haven't been able to update an app since installing.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

Casao posted:

http://www.appbrain.com/app/sms-backup/com.zegoggles.smssync instead of that SMS Backup.
Thanks for the reminder. Since Titanium Backup app restore isn't working right in the current CM7 nightly, there are still a handful of apps I need to reinstall.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Looks like CM7 build 11 for the EVO and other devices is up on the teamdouche mirror.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den
e;fb

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003
remember that time I was just chilling out and definitely not having a massive meltdown? right guys? guys??? :laugh:
rename this thread 'CM7 discussion'

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Duckman2008 posted:

as I was then unable to sign into Google due to the newer 2 step signin.
Uh oh, what is this?

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Uh oh, what is this?

It's optional; Google 2 step verification

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Casao posted:

Too bad their are giant gently caress-off issues with CM7 for NC right now, like the Market being half broken. It sucks, I haven't been able to update an app since installing.

If you want a temporary fix, set your lcd density in build.prop to something higher than 160. This, however, makes a lot of applications such as Google Reader run in a small window. I just stick with a broken market and maps for now, but I guess you could do it, update your apps, and then switch it back?

edit: Build 11 doesn't fix it, by the way.

Kazy fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Mar 2, 2011

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Kazy posted:

If you want a temporary fix, set your lcd density in build.prop to something higher than 160. This, however, makes a lot of applications such as Google Reader run in a small window. I just stick with a broken market and maps for now, but I guess you could do it, update your apps, and then switch it back?

Apparently, build 11 is out, I'll be installing it when I get home.

Since I'm here, does anyone know where to buy a NC power cable replacement? It's got the LEDs and fancy extra pins that make it charge at a reasonable rate, mine got bent to poo poo and doesn't connect half the time now, and charging with a regular cable is hit or miss.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I just got my first Android device today, an HTC Desire running 2.2 rooted with unrevoked. I'm trying to remove preinstalled applications but the two solutions I come across have problems.

The first asks me to type 'adb' in the terminal, but I get told that's not a valid command (even when I do it as su).

The second involves Titanium Backup, but that tells me it couldn't acquire root privileges or couldn't find BusyBox. I run BusyBox installer and it says it didn't find BusyBox, so I click to install and it just reboots my device - when it comes back up, it still says it isn't installed. Can anyone think why it won't install? Both Titanium Backup and BusyBox show as having superuser permissions in Superuser Permissions.

Edit: Installing BusyBox through Titanium Backup worked. Now I can get into Titanium Backup and when I try and remove the preinstalled applications it freezes then the phone reboots. Is this not a valid method of doing it?

Sir Sidney Poitier fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Mar 2, 2011

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Anjow posted:

I just got my first Android device today, an HTC Desire running 2.2 rooted with unrevoked. I'm trying to remove preinstalled applications but the two solutions I come across have problems.

The first asks me to type 'adb' in the terminal, but I get told that's not a valid command (even when I do it as su).

The second involves Titanium Backup, but that tells me it couldn't acquire root privileges or couldn't find BusyBox. I run BusyBox installer and it says it didn't find BusyBox, so I click to install and it just reboots my device - when it comes back up, it still says it isn't installed. Can anyone think why it won't install?

Did you install the Android SDK? That's where adb is installed from. Note that ADB commands are on your PC when it's hooked up to an Android phone in USB debugging mode, not on your phone.

And for the second, it sounds like you're not actually rooted - are you sure unrevoked took, and did you do whatever the second step is to install the su binary on Android? If you drop to terminal in Android and type "su" does it change to a # prompt or give you a "Command not found" type error?

averox
Feb 28, 2005

:dukedog:
Fun Shoe
Whatever it is about CM7 for the Evo I can finally use wimaxat work. Speed is all over the board from 1000-1900/140 but consider that this is a spot where I couldn't even receive wimax at all. Averaging about 550/350 on 3G with Speedtest in Philly testing to a Philly, PA server. Beats 3G!

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Casao posted:

Did you install the Android SDK? That's where adb is installed from. Note that ADB commands are on your PC when it's hooked up to an Android phone in USB debugging mode, not on your phone.

No, I didn't. I didn't realise this. I will have a look, though I couldn't get unrevoked to recognise my phone on my PC, only the Mac version would recognise it.

Casao posted:

And for the second, it sounds like you're not actually rooted - are you sure unrevoked took, and did you do whatever the second step is to install the su binary on Android? If you drop to terminal in Android and type "su" does it change to a # prompt or give you a "Command not found" type error?

It certainly is rooted, this works. I edited into my last reply about where I'm up to before I noticed this reply, I did manage to get BusyBox on, but now I can't use Titanium Backup to remove the bloatware.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Anjow posted:

No, I didn't. I didn't realise this. I will have a look, though I couldn't get unrevoked to recognise my phone on my PC, only the Mac version would recognise it.

It certainly is rooted, this works. I edited into my last reply about where I'm up to before I noticed this reply, I did manage to get BusyBox on, but now I can't use Titanium Backup to remove the bloatware.

That kinda sounds like a S-On response, but I'm not sure the Desire has that. Someone who owns it would have to clarify.