Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

WHEEZY MISS A DUDE posted:

If you're talking about something like Amtrak, then no, it's not a wholly public place. It's a privately owned entity. They may even have ABC-on permits for the entire train fleet.

The Amtrak stations are trickier, though. In some you can drink anywhere in the station while in others you can only drink in the restaurants that sell liquor.

I actually meant more along the lines of MTA trains

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WHEEZY KISS A DUDE
Dec 28, 2000

ASK ME HOW TO GET FREE BEER!
(THE ANSWER IS "CHEATING GOONS OUT OF IT")

change my name posted:

Oh, I'm not sure about that. Here in DC we have WMATA which doesn't allow drinking of any beverage on the trains.

Whack
Feb 14, 2008
Are people legally supposed to help those in immediate danger in the US? For instance, if I see a man bleeding out or a child drowning in waste deep water am I legally obligated to help them?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

change my name posted:

If you mean like Metro-North, some of their scheduled trips include bar cars where you can buy alcohol onboard and there's a liquor license involved there.

Buildings and Food
Nov 29, 2008
The CD player in my car died, and my favorite radiostation is getting interference from a ranchero station across the border. I'd like to create some cassette tapes using mp3 files on my computer. What is the cheapest recorder I can buy to do this? Thanks.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

PlasticPaddy posted:

Are people legally supposed to help those in immediate danger in the US? For instance, if I see a man bleeding out or a child drowning in waste deep water am I legally obligated to help them?

You're talking about Good Samaritan Laws, and it varies between states and jurisdictions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Good_Samaritan_law#United_States

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Buildings and Food posted:

The CD player in my car died, and my favorite radiostation is getting interference from a ranchero station across the border. I'd like to create some cassette tapes using mp3 files on my computer. What is the cheapest recorder I can buy to do this? Thanks.
What? Why would you do this? Assuming you can even find blank cassette tapes to buy anymore, it would be just as expensive as replacing your CD player. Get a newer one that has an AUX in and you can use your iPod in the car and still come out waaaay ahead.

Buildings and Food
Nov 29, 2008

tendrilsfor20 posted:

What? Why would you do this? Assuming you can even find blank cassette tapes to buy anymore, it would be just as expensive as replacing your CD player. Get a newer one that has an AUX in and you can use your iPod in the car and still come out waaaay ahead.

I don't own an MP3 player, and I'm poor as poo poo. Tape recorders are like 20 bucks. I figured I could find one online with an audio-in port where you would plug in an external mic for cheap, but I can't. Just seeing if anyone could help a brother out. Guess I'll go back to listening to my grandpa's collection of 1970's outlaw country cassettes.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

I don't own an MP3 player, and I'm poor as poo poo. Tape recorders are like 20 bucks. I figured I could find one online with an audio-in port where you would plug in an external mic for cheap, but I can't. Just seeing if anyone could help a brother out. Guess I'll go back to listening to my grandpa's collection of 1970's outlaw country cassettes.

Any home stand alone cassette cassette deck I have ever seen as audio in, because otherwise it cannot record. But you can pretty much only find them in thrift stores these days. I found one for $5.00 but with the cable out from the computer etc.etc. it just did not seem worth it.

(The same thrift store will probably have a pretty good selection of pre-recorded cassettes for cheap, but you are stuck with 10 year(?) old music.)

I was in the same situation before. I just went with the MP3 player and cassette adapter from that headphone out, but I already had the mp3 player. I found some decent random cassettes at the thrift store for when I forgot my MP3 player.

Just be glad you are not stuck with an 8-track. Truck stops still sell 8 tracks though, so...

WHEEZY KISS A DUDE
Dec 28, 2000

ASK ME HOW TO GET FREE BEER!
(THE ANSWER IS "CHEATING GOONS OUT OF IT")

Guess I'll go back to listening to my grandpa's collection of 1970's outlaw country cassettes.

Nothing wrong with this!

Do you have CDs or a CD burner? You could hit up a thrift store and grab a cheap cd walkman and grab a cassette adapter from Walmart for a grand total of 20 bucks. Do that.

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

you're just thinking too much
Anyone who uses Notepad++ know how to turn off the indentation lines? These things are useful in programming but they're driving me nuts otherwise.

Moscow Mule
Dec 21, 2004

Nothing beats the taste sensation when maple syrup collides with ham.
There was an episode of Law & Order where a woman legally adopted her lesbian lover since they couldn't get married, so they would have a legal relationship. Is that something that people really do/have done? It seems like I have heard of this before. Trying to look it up just gets me stuff on gays adopting children.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Moscow Mule posted:

There was an episode of Law & Order where a woman legally adopted her lesbian lover since they couldn't get married, so they would have a legal relationship. Is that something that people really do/have done? It seems like I have heard of this before. Trying to look it up just gets me stuff on gays adopting children.

1. Watch "Law & Order" as a comedy/drama
2. Think of what "adoption" means and then apply it to a "lesbian lover"
3. Lesbian women want to adopt children so they can rape them
4. Don't watch "Law & Order"

Moscow Mule
Dec 21, 2004

Well I'm sure it was RIPPED FROM THE HEADLINES. :doink:

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

Moscow Mule posted:

Yes, hoops like this are the one way to establish a durable legal relationship between same-sex partners, and some people have done so. The people I knew had themselves both adopted by a third party, but the intention/result was similar.

When AIDS was destroying the gay commmunity, it became clear that laws regarding the rights of same sex couples needed to be addressed. No state recognized common law relationships between same sex partners (while many states have remarkably strong laws about heterosexual common law couples), and insurance companies, and medical personnel did not either.

Most of this can be done through other legal means but adoption is a quicker, cheaper, and more durable way of getting it done than power of attorney, and living wills.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

I'm pretty sure this is a 'no' but maybe I'm just not looking in the right place. Is there a way to rig a usb power supply/adapter for a netbook computer? :3: My poor out-of-touch self has recently discovered that planes have things like internet and usb power supplies now! So I'm curious.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I'm pretty sure this is a 'no' but maybe I'm just not looking in the right place. Is there a way to rig a usb power supply/adapter for a netbook computer? :3: My poor out-of-touch self has recently discovered that planes have things like internet and usb power supplies now! So I'm curious.

USB? You'd barely be able to do more than like 1/8 the power a really efficient netbook needs to run.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

fishmech posted:

USB? You'd barely be able to do more than like 1/8 the power a really efficient netbook needs to run.

Not true, you can push a lot of amperage through USB, its just that 99.9% of ports are 300-500ma and your receiving end is probably not built for that.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

baquerd posted:

Not true, you can push a lot of amperage through USB, its just that 99.9% of ports are 300-500ma and your receiving end is probably not built for that.

The USB spec allows for ~2.5 watts through normally and the average USB power supply thing you find will go up to ~5 watts while the average netbook requires ~40 watts to run.

Since USB is 5 volts, the 5 watt out ones are doing 1 amp and to manage the 40 watts of an average netbook you'd need to do 8 amps - obviously way more than 0.3-0.5 amps like normal.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

:) Appreciate it you guys. I'll probably just grab a couple of spare batteries and charge them prior to leaving, then.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Is it possible to sell part of a plot of land (IE you own 5 acres and want to sell one of them), and if so, how is the new property handled as far as assigning a street address?

This is probably an idiotic question to anyone even passingly familiar with real estate sales, but that person is not me.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Javid posted:

Is it possible to sell part of a plot of land (IE you own 5 acres and want to sell one of them), and if so, how is the new property handled as far as assigning a street address?

Your local zoning board will have information for you on this process.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Javid posted:

This is probably an idiotic question to anyone even passingly familiar with real estate sales, but that person is not me.

Yes you can do that (that's how for example a developer buys up an old farm, and then splits it up into a bunch of lots for housing developments).

As to how street addresses are handled it really depends where you are, and basically the post office usually decides. It could be that your property is at 25 example street and the surrounding numbers (23, 24, 26, 27) are already assigned and the new property becomes 25A Example Street or 25 1/2 Example Street. Or in may cities and some towns, each block of a street will have possible addresses from say 1000-1999 (and way less than 1000 addresses in there) and your property was 1500 Example Street, the new property would probably be 1510 Example Street or 1499 Example Street.

Eyeball
Jun 4, 2008

by angerbeet
Whenever I have worn a hat with any kind of brim, it always blows off very easily in wind or if I run (and I am not a fast runner). When I watch movies, I see people do all kinds of crazy poo poo with hats on, but that's movies. But cowboy hats are strongly associated with riding horses, which are much, much faster than I am.

How do cowboys keep their hats on?

(I know some cowboy-type hats have some type of chin strap, but I think most that I see don't have anything like that.)

Zegnar
Mar 13, 2005
Should I mention in a college application 'personal statement' that as a child I was quoted in a national newspaper saying something cute about being interested in the degree topic?

Or is that just kinda :gay:

Edit: I asked some banker dude how to invest my allowance and it went in a finance/society column

Zegnar fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Mar 2, 2011

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

Zegnar posted:

Should I mention in a college application 'personal statement' that as a child I was quoted in a national newspaper saying something cute about being interested in the degree topic?

Or is that just kinda :gay:

Edit: I asked some banker dude how to invest my allowance and it went in a finance/society column
While that's an interesting story, it probably won't improve your chances of getting in.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

You can get an mp3 player WITH an FM modulator for less than $15. It's just a shaft that you plug into your cigarette lighter and then it broadcasts MP3s to your radio -to a choice of one of the dead stations on the far left of the FM dial.

I'd suggest http://www.dealextreme.com except you'd be waiting a month for it to arrive from Hong Kong. My drat internet is going in and out or I'd look for you, but search amazon for "fm modulator mp3".

edit: here, I filtered by "prime eligible" (free shipping after $25 if you don't have prime), 4-stars and better, then sorted by price and there's one for $18. I think there's a shittier one for $7, but it sounds like you'd maybe try it.
http://www.amazon.com/Coby-CA-745-Wireless-Transmitter-Cigarette/dp/B000OTF6G0/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1299083178&sr=1-1
This one isn't actually an MP3 player, just the transmitter. Here's the cheap one that IS a player and transmitter: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0016BVDIK/ref=ord_cart_shr?ie=UTF8&m=A7I40QJF2AM82

You should still listen to outlaw country though.

bonus edit: By the way, you need a zip drive or some other storage device with USB to plug into that MP3 player -at least the cheap one, it has no storage of its own. The more expensive one might, and/or it might take other media like a camera memory card (SD, etc.)

Very Strange Things fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Mar 2, 2011

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

BorderPatrol posted:

You're talking about Good Samaritan Laws, and it varies between states and jurisdictions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Good_Samaritan_law#United_States

No, good samaritan laws cover liability for helping someone, not failing to do so. What he was asking about is duty to rescue. Short answer--in the U.S. you are not obliged to rescue someone in peril with a few exceptions (you are the one who created the peril to begin with, it's your child in peril, etc.).

Zegnar
Mar 13, 2005

Get one of these http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cassette_tape_adaptor

I haven't tried them myself, but the sound quality cannot be worse than an FM modulator, those things are awful

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

stubblyhead posted:

No, good samaritan laws cover liability for helping someone, not failing to do so. What he was asking about is duty to rescue. Short answer--in the U.S. you are not obliged to rescue someone in peril with a few exceptions (you are the one who created the peril to begin with, it's your child in peril, etc.).

This is certainly not true in at least some areas of the country, and in specific cases. It is still being decided under many non-overlapping case law examples, but the particular one that comes to mind is someone who has specific training, and is not at risk if they use it. They are required to render aid (or at least have been found negligent for failing to do so, which amounts to the same civil liability) in most cases where they would not be put into immediate harm by doing so.

Many sorts of professional training seminars spend a good deal of time discussing just what obligations to provide care go with a given degree of professional training. Any good professional training will discuss risk and liability, and since the issue of obligation to render aid is a completely undecided by legislation and by case law, you get to spend days doing what if simulations and workshops.

There is obviously a huge distinction between criminal liability and civil liability, but the fact that people found innocent of a crime have been found civilly liable for the same act, and given the fact that civil lawsuits are not generally covered by rights to free lawyers and speedy trials that criminal lawsuits are, one could make a strong case that civil liability is far more serious than criminal liability anyway. You can plead out to killing someone and be free of the criminal justice system (including incarceration) sooner than you might ever see the inside of a civil courtroom for the same act.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
I used to have good stereos but they kept getting stolen so I've resigned myself to having a factory deck. Every cassette adapter I've tried sounds like rear end compared to a good fm mod. like a hardwired one or....

I bought a belkin f8m066 transmitter for $10 off ebay and it was poo poo, move your hand and you get static, turn a corner, more static.

BUT I did this external antenna and power boost mod to it described here:

http://computerchristmas.com/christmas/link-how_to/HowToId-133/Belkin_Tunecast_Auto_Universal_FM_transmitter_Mod

And it's night and day difference. It's now 95% as good as my old hardwired inline fm-mod in my old car. I can even tune it to an active big local station and stomp all over them hearing it in 3 cars in my driveway. (yes I actually tried this)

It's a bit difficult if you've never done tiny surface mount soldering before (I hadn't) and my soldering tip was way too big so I used a pocketknife heated in a gas flame.

edit: and if anyone does this make sure to tie a knot in the inside-case part of your antenna so it can't be pulled out. I forgot on mine, it didn't get pulled on but 20 mins later when I realized I left this out I had to do it all over again.

Also I just cut off the "black box" he's talking about with little dikes (sm resistor?) put some solder on it's connect points to connect them together and then soldered my antenna to the existing internal antenna for a stronger design.

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Mar 2, 2011

Moscow Mule
Dec 21, 2004

kapalama posted:

Yes, hoops like this are the one way to establish a durable legal relationship between same-sex partners, and some people have done so. The people I knew had themselves both adopted by a third party, but the intention/result was similar.

When AIDS was destroying the gay commmunity, it became clear that laws regarding the rights of same sex couples needed to be addressed. No state recognized common law relationships between same sex partners (while many states have remarkably strong laws about heterosexual common law couples), and insurance companies, and medical personnel did not either.

Most of this can be done through other legal means but adoption is a quicker, cheaper, and more durable way of getting it done than power of attorney, and living wills.

Thanks. I know Law & Order is just a TV show but I could've sworn I had heard that it was a real occurrence. Being adopted by a 3rd party is something I hadn't heard of before. Interesting.

Eyeball posted:

Whenever I have worn a hat with any kind of brim, it always blows off very easily in wind or if I run (and I am not a fast runner). When I watch movies, I see people do all kinds of crazy poo poo with hats on, but that's movies. But cowboy hats are strongly associated with riding horses, which are much, much faster than I am.

How do cowboys keep their hats on?

(I know some cowboy-type hats have some type of chin strap, but I think most that I see don't have anything like that.)

Having seen a lot of rodeos, a lot of times the hats do blow off when they're riding, especially something fast like barrel racing/pole bending or something violent like bull riding/saddle bronc/bareback. I've never anyone use something special to hold a hat on their head though.

When they don't fly off, I think it's a combination of the curled edges of the brim and a good fit on the head. Also, leaning forward when you're on a running horse.

Moscow Mule fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Mar 2, 2011

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

kapalama posted:

This is certainly not true in at least some areas of the country, and in specific cases. It is still being decided under many non-overlapping case law examples, but the particular one that comes to mind is someone who has specific training, and is not at risk if they use it. They are required to render aid (or at least have been found negligent for failing to do so, which amounts to the same civil liability) in most cases where they would not be put into immediate harm by doing so.

That was covered under "etc." in my previous post.

Beep Street
Aug 22, 2006

Chemotherapy and marijuana go together like apple pie and Chevrolet.
I can't seem to google this question, I just get Biffy Clyro lyrics if I do. Basically everytime I walk by the river Clyde (in Scotland) I notice there are lots of little bubbles rising to the surface. It looks like it is raining or someone is throwing loads of tiny pebbles in the water constantly. It cannot be fish breathing as there are simply too many of these bubbles. What could this be?

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Can anyone identify this language - or maybe even read it? It's engraved on a knife a friend got for christmas.

Knowing the language would make figuring it out substantially easier, at least.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Looks like Greek, but I couldn't tell you what it says.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Beep Street posted:

I can't seem to google this question, I just get Biffy Clyro lyrics if I do. Basically everytime I walk by the river Clyde (in Scotland) I notice there are lots of little bubbles rising to the surface. It looks like it is raining or someone is throwing loads of tiny pebbles in the water constantly. It cannot be fish breathing as there are simply too many of these bubbles. What could this be?

Could be vegetation rotting, maybe? How fast does the river move?

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!
I'd like to do some simple electronic drums at an open mic performance. My bassist has an iPhone and reckons there may be some simple drum machine apps we could use. Can anyone recommend some (preferably free)?

edit: the question above about bubbles confused me massively until I realised that this is not, in fact, the 'small questions' thread in the Musician's Lounge. Whoops! Though uh feel free to help me out if anyone can! :O

SynthesizerKaiser
Jan 28, 2009
BOOSTER JUICE
I feel like the volume of YouTube has decreased by somewhere around 20% (a few decibels maybe). I have the slider on my Windows volume mixer maxed across the board, as well as YouTube itself. What am I missing here? WinAmp is still loud and proud.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

Beep Street posted:

Could be the lower end of Clyde Falls.