Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blambert
Jul 2, 2007
you spin me right round baby right round.
Couple of blokes doing donuts in a car park

http://www.vg.no/nyheter/innenriks/artikkel.php?artid=10082210

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
That was cool, at first I thought he was just going to drive in a big circle.

quote:

Hadde god fart
But I must know what this means.

Heid the Ball
Nov 2, 2005
Gordon's ALIVE?!?!?
Visited the Yorkshire Air Museum this weekend, home of Lusty Lindy:

Click here for the full 2048x1536 image.

Only had the iPhone with me, so broke out Hipstamatic for some stylish(!) shots:

Victor K1 - converted from bomber to tanker

Click here for the full 1536x1536 image.

Fairey Gannet - Naval ASW & AEW plane from 1940s. This is the AEW variant. Contra-rotating props powered by twin gas turbines. Insanely complex.

Nimrod - The Mighty Hunter. Anti-submarine & search-and-rescue.

Gloster Meteor with an old-timey monoplane hanging above it.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
I don't specifically know why, but contra-rotating props always make me think of some futuristic cartoon. Also, I love the Victor - it's just so amazingly fugly (functionally ugly).

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE

Simkin posted:

Nyyyyyyyyeeeeeeeooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIvv1PAmesM&feature=bf_play&playnext=1&list=QL&index=1

I'm actually working on a display for a 104 at my local museum, and I'd like to add the howl as an audio feature. Someone posted a video a while back with a 104 throttling up (while still on the ground), which produced a very pure example of the howl. Can anyone remember the video?

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE

Heid the Ball posted:

Visited the Yorkshire Air Museum this weekend, home of Lusty Lindy:

Also gently caress gently caress gently caress I love Englands ugly-rear end Cold War planes. V's, baby!

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Boomerjinks posted:

I'm actually working on a display for a 104 at my local museum, and I'd like to add the howl as an audio feature. Someone posted a video a while back with a 104 throttling up (while still on the ground), which produced a very pure example of the howl. Can anyone remember the video?

6 posts above yours?

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL
Does anybody know why the A-10 was never sold internationally? No interest? No export licenses? Was just commiserating with an internet buddy that it doesn't seem likely that we could pick one up on the cheap from some south american airforce garage sale.

Seems like it would have had a ready market, after all Apaches sell like hotcakes, and they are not cheap.

Was Republic just already on its way out? I know their Senator died, and took with him any hope of getting a new trainer contract.

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE

slidebite posted:

6 posts above yours?

This is the one I was thinking of.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozIRwMhRVRY

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Boomerjinks posted:

This is the one I was thinking of.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozIRwMhRVRY
So, uh, did you look 6 (or 7) posts above your earlier post?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Slo-Tek posted:

Does anybody know why the A-10 was never sold internationally? No interest? No export licenses? Was just commiserating with an internet buddy that it doesn't seem likely that we could pick one up on the cheap from some south american airforce garage sale.

Seems like it would have had a ready market, after all Apaches sell like hotcakes, and they are not cheap.

Was Republic just already on its way out? I know their Senator died, and took with him any hope of getting a new trainer contract.

Not many countries really fancied the role of facing off against the Soviet tank hordes. A-10s were expected to take horrendous losses from SAM/AAA/fighters. I think most of NATO was more than willing to let the US and Germany attrit the Reds.

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE

slidebite posted:

So, uh, did you look 6 (or 7) posts above your earlier post?
Yes. No. I. This is.

Thanks.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Godholio posted:

Not many countries really fancied the role of facing off against the Soviet tank hordes. A-10s were expected to take horrendous losses from SAM/AAA/fighters. I think most of NATO was more than willing to let the US and Germany attrit the Reds.

People forget that the A-10 was the red-headed stepchild of the USAF for a long time - certain groups within were trying to kill it off from day one (and they almost succeeded a couple of times). Some of it was that the A-10 just wasn't regarded to be as "sexy" as other programs - after all, what place does a gawky, slow, straight-winged anachronism have in the Air Force of the 1980s? This attitude probably didn't help export sales that much.

Fortunately, saner heads prevailed, and the A-10 later got to prove unequivocally how effective it was during Desert Storm.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Further proof of that was the A-16 program where they tried to strap an Avenger on to an F-16. It was stupid inaccurate which is why the Air Force dropped it.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Slo-Tek posted:

I think a lot of the reason the A-10 never got exported was that the USAF was the only air force (outside of the USSR) that really had the money to buy dedicated close air support aircraft.

Most air forces at the time had doctrines based on using either fighter-bombers or attack helicopters for attacking troops and tanks, since they didn't have to plan on repelling a mass of Soviet tanks pouring through the Fulda Gap. For countries without the massive budget the USAF had during the cold war, buying fighter-bombers and helicopters was a better use of their money than a "one trick pony" attack aircraft.

The A-10 is excellent at killing tanks, but it doesn't really have the performance to survive in the presence of fighters or to carry nuclear weapons (which fighter bombers can do), and it requires more support to operate than an attack helicopter would.

Fairchild (which bought Republic before the A-10 was built) did try and sell the A-10 overseas, and although they brought one to the Farnborough air show in 1976, it failed to attract any export customers.

PatrickBateman
Jul 26, 2007
And now, when you fly on most regional jets, you have the A-10 to thank for its engines. The CF34 is a derivative of the A-10's TF34. But they arent nearly as robust.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

PatrickBateman posted:

And now, when you fly on most regional jets, you have the A-10 to thank for its engines. The CF34 is a derivative of the A-10's TF34. But they arent nearly as robust.
No reason they need to be robust; from what I can wikipedia, the longest CF34-powered flight was JetBlue getting one of their E190s back from Sarah Palin at the end of McCain's presidential campaign. Robustness adds weight, which reduces range and increases fuel burn, making air travel less profitable.

The E170/E190 are pretty nice little planes; the windows are mounted high enough for grown-ups to look out them comfortably.

The "Canadian Torture Tube" CRJs aren't nearly as nice.

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter

BonzoESC posted:

The E170/E190 are pretty nice little planes; the windows are mounted high enough for grown-ups to look out them comfortably.

The "Canadian Torture Tube" CRJs aren't nearly as nice.

Oh wow, this is the perfect post. Those Embraers are awesome, seemingly designed with human beings in mind. I had to be on a CRJ almost twice a week for two years, and grew to deeply despise that airplane. It reminded me of that thing how some public places install chairs that are seriously uncomfortable/anti-ergonomic so people don't hang around forever. Anything more than an hour on the CRJ and you arrive at your destination angry and miserable. Spend an extra hour sitting on the tarmac and you just know that the the actual flight is going to be pure torture.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Yeah I fly in pretty much brand new E190s on JetBlue and Air Canada on the regular these days and they're pretty nice airframes. Seats are a hell of a lot more comfortable than the Bombardiers.

PatrickBateman
Jul 26, 2007
We call the crj700/900 lawn darts.

Now the 757-300, that's a nice looking stretch bu performance blows compared to the -200 which is a goddamn rocket ship. Only thing better was a dc-9-30 with an intermix of jt8d-9 or higher power.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

PatrickBateman posted:

Now the 757-300, that's a nice looking stretch bu performance blows compared to the -200 which is a goddamn rocket ship. Only thing better was a dc-9-30 with an intermix of jt8d-9 or higher power.

I'm so glad Florida is populated enough I get to take my "regional" flights in one of these:

Revolvyerom
Nov 12, 2005

Hell yes, tell him we're plenty front right now.

BonzoESC posted:

What am I even looking at here?

primitive
Mar 14, 2001

I AM A CHEAPSKATE WHO HAS HAD THE STUPID NEWBIE BABY AVATAR FOR 12 YEARS.

BonzoESC posted:

The E170/E190 are pretty nice little planes

They are really nice little planes -- I wonder if they're as nice to fly as they are to ride in

Heid the Ball
Nov 2, 2005
Gordon's ALIVE?!?!?

Boomerjinks posted:

Also gently caress gently caress gently caress I love Englands ugly-rear end Cold War planes. V's, baby!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vS6xD_HCc9A

A flying Vulcan from Leuchars 2010

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR

Revolvyerom posted:

Someone used a g-sensing dyno app on an iphone or something designed for cars on a loving airplane.

Mobius1B7R
Jan 27, 2008

The E190 is a great plane to ride in but it's horrible to work on from the underwing side. The bins are tiny, you destroy your head every time on the fire extinguisher cages and all kinds of other things that make you wonder if they even put any thought into any of it. The Airbus on the other hand, is a dream to work on.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

primitive posted:

They are really nice little planes -- I wonder if they're as nice to fly as they are to ride in

When Air Canada first started flying their Embraers, they started to call them "Embraer 180s", as their reliability was piss poor. The flight control computers and FMS were crash-prone and show, often requiring a complete shutdown and restart of the entire electrical system. The potable water tanks had an unheated valve in the supply line which would freeze in the cold Canadian winter, rendering the toilets and more importantly, the coffee machines inoperative.

That said, AC has ironed out the problems with their E-Jets; nowadays, they are the most reliable aircraft in their fleet.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Revolvyerom posted:

Someone not turning their phone off for takeoff?

Used Sunlight sales
Jun 5, 2006

Warfighter Approved

Aargh posted:

Airplane mode maybe?

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine

Aargh posted:

http://art.penny-arcade.com/photos/215554049_kesRm-L-2.jpg

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

benito posted:

Oh wow, this is the perfect post. Those Embraers are awesome, seemingly designed with human beings in mind. I had to be on a CRJ almost twice a week for two years, and grew to deeply despise that airplane. It reminded me of that thing how some public places install chairs that are seriously uncomfortable/anti-ergonomic so people don't hang around forever. Anything more than an hour on the CRJ and you arrive at your destination angry and miserable. Spend an extra hour sitting on the tarmac and you just know that the the actual flight is going to be pure torture.

I think the CRJs are about the smallest engineered space you'd ask normal people to get into. It's like the engineers were looking really hard at the space efficiency found in U-boats.

Minto Took posted:

Further proof of that was the A-16 program where they tried to strap an Avenger on to an F-16. It was stupid inaccurate which is why the Air Force dropped it.

That honestly sounds like the product of a drunken argument.

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?

Nebakenezzer posted:

That honestly sounds like the product of a drunken argument.

I think this is the story behind every variant of the F-16.

"Hey, let's get the gun out of an A-10 and mount it on a Viper." (A-16, as mentioned)

"Hey, let's make the Viper a cranked delta wing and then cover the entire bottom of it with bombs." (FB-16, designed to compete against the F-15E as a new strike fighter)

"Hey that didn't work, fill in the bomb notches and give it to NASA." (The result of the FB-16 losing, renamed F-16XL)

"Hey can we just flip the wings around and call them forward swept?" (Lost competition for FSW research aircraft to the F-5 based X-29)

"Hey, let's add some vertical canards under the intake and see if we can make this bitch skid steer!" (I don't even know what the gently caress)

"Let's give it wings from the F-22 and chop the tail off." (What the gently caress are these people on crack? A proposal for a new multirole USAF fighter.)

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

PatrickBateman posted:

The 757-200 is definitely my favourite aircraft to ride in as a passenger, with second place being the Saab 2000.

I used to do occasional commuter flights in the -200 back when I also flew a fair amount of long distance in fully loaded 747-400s and later the occasional A340-600 (!). I loved the fact that, unlike especially the -600, where you were never sure if it was actually going to rotate or just run out of runway, the 757's climbout performance, especially when lightly loaded, was fairly dramatic.

Takeoff roll felt like about 5 feet and you could see the taxiways shrinking into the distance before you were even over the boundary fence.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Used Sunlight sales posted:

Airplane mode maybe?

Aren't you still meant to turn off all electronic devices during takeoff and landing? Or have they changed that in the last 6 months?

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

Aargh posted:

Aren't you still meant to turn off all electronic devices during takeoff and landing? Or have they changed that in the last 6 months?
No, they haven't changed it, you're still required to turn off all electronic devices during takeoff and landing. "Airplane mode" is only allowed to be used when the captain allows you to use electronic devices. Some people are clearly skeptical and escew the rules, though. That guy with dynolicious was risking the lives of everyone aboard that plane for his little joke, and probably didn't even realize it.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/18/business/18devices.html

NYT posted:

Interfering With Flight?

The announcement over the plane’s speaker seems as much a part of the routine before takeoff as the demonstration of how to buckle a seat belt: Please turn off all electronic devices.

But some passengers invariably ignore the request, perhaps thinking that their iPods or e-books do not count. And really, does it matter if the devices are left on?

The answer, it turns out, is that sometimes it may.

“It’s a good news-bad news thing,” said David Carson, an engineer with Boeing. Electronic devices do not cause problems in every case, he said. “And that’s good,” he said. “It’s bad in that people assume it never will.”

Passengers are taking an increasing array of devices on board planes — cellphones, tablets, GPS units and more. Many of these devices transmit a signal, and all of them emit electromagnetic waves, which, in theory, could interfere with the plane’s electronics. At the same time, older planes might not have the best shielding against the latest generation of devices, some engineers said.

“Is it worrisome?” asked Bill Strauss, an engineer who studied passenger use of electronic devices several years ago. “It is.”

Safety experts suspect that electronic interference has played a role in some accidents, though that is difficult to prove. One crash in which cellphone interference with airplane navigation was cited as a possible factor involved a charter in Christchurch, New Zealand, in 2003. Eight people died when the plane flew into the ground short of the runway.

The pilot had called home, and the call remained connected for the last three minutes of the flight. In the final report, the New Zealand Transport Accident Investigation Commission stated, “The pilot’s own cellphone might have caused erroneous indications” on a navigational aid.

Since 2000, there have been at least 10 voluntary reports filed by pilots in the United States with the Aviation Safety Reporting System, administered by NASA. In 2007, one pilot recounted an instance when the navigational equipment on his Boeing 737 had failed after takeoff. A flight attendant told a passenger to turn off a hand-held GPS device and the problem on the flight deck went away.

The Federal Aviation Administration says there are risks associated with electromagnetic interference and prohibits the use of electronics below 10,000 feet because pilots have less time at lower altitudes to deal with a problem. It is up to each airline to set the policy at higher altitudes. “There’s not enough evidence to warrant a change,” said Les Dorr, a spokesman for the agency.

There are many reasons that passengers do not comply with the restrictions. Mr. Carson of Boeing cited one. “Devices blur the distinction. P.D.A.’s that are cellphones, cellphones that play music. In the mind of the nominal consumer, it is hard to know what the device is actually doing.”

Some passengers are like Nicole Rodrigues of Los Angeles, who acknowledges that she listens to music on her cellphone when she is not supposed to. “In my head, I imagine it not being a problem,” she said. “The whole airplane is filled with electronics that are constantly on. Is my little cellphone going to make that big of a difference?”

Even flight attendants, charged with enforcing the rules, can fail to recognize the potential for problems, said Dinkar Mokadam, an occupational safety specialist with the Association of Flight Attendants. “I don’t believe it is general knowledge that someone could plug in an iPod and potentially harm the aircraft — even among the flight attendant and pilot community,” Mr. Mokadam said.

There is no recent survey of how often passengers ignore restrictions on use of their gadgets, though seven years ago, Mr. Strauss, then a doctoral student at Carnegie Mellon University, monitored the signals emitted from cellphones during flights and discovered that they were being left on.

Airline executives say that for the moment, they do not plan to create more restrictive policies. “We’re accommodating the wishes of our passengers,” said Tom Hendricks, head of safety and operations for the Air Transport Association, the airlines’ trade group. “They wish to use these devices.”

John Darbo, an air safety consultant and former airline executive who was a member of the group that helped the F.A.A. develop rules, said airlines could not police passengers or stop them from bringing electronics on the airplane. “Do you expect us to do that?” he asked. “That’s absurd. What we have to do is tell them what’s going on, elicit their cooperation and harden the airplanes.”

Before deciding whether to allow passengers to use phones before takeoff, several airlines conducted ground tests to see if cellphones would interfere with systems. At American Airlines, people dialed cellphones from out-of-service planes parked at various airports. “They found no interaction with the aircraft instruments on any aircraft type,” said Tim Smith, a spokesman for American.

As a result, the airline like most others, decided to permit the use of phones at the gate before departure and after landing.

Newer airplanes have more sophisticated protection against electromagnetic interference. “The technical advancements for wireless devices and portable electronic equipment is so rapid, it changes every week,” said Doug Hughes, an electrical engineer and air safety investigator. “The advances in airplanes take 20 years.”

Still, Mr. Strauss said the deterioration of planes and devices over time had not been taken into account. “A plane is designed to the right specs, but nobody goes back and checks if it is still robust,” he said. “Then there are the outliers — a cellphone that’s been dropped and abused, or a battery that puts out more than it’s supposed to, and avionics that are more susceptible to interference because gaskets have failed. And boom, that’s where you get interference. It would be a perfect storm that would combine to create an aviation accident.”
Commercial airliners are giant gaussian cages, and electronic devices are giant arrays of tiny antennas broadcasting at a huge range of MHz and GHz frequencies; any spurious emissions just bounce around and around inside the hull, with significant enough risk of interfering with sensitive receivers and other equipment that the FAA has banned them. Worse still, when cell phones get weak signals, they increase their transmit power to try to contact a tower, making it even worse. The % chance of interference is small, but the consequences so severe, that it's not worth the risk.

I've attached a chart of the spurious emissions from a typical cell phone as an example. Bear in mind the the static floor for cell phone reception is around -105dBm, so all those off-band frequencies it emits, while not a problem normally, can effectively jam airplane communications and navigation equipment.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

grover fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Mar 2, 2011

cobra_64
Apr 3, 2007

BonzoESC posted:

The E170/E190 are pretty nice little planes;

You have obviously never stacked the pit in one. Imagine crawling under your kitchen counter, on your knees, and stacking 85 bags, including the wonderful 70lb bags headed to Manilla.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man
Here's Embraer's 190 testbed in Portland when I was doing line service; this was in either 05 or 06. The inside was, of course, filled with all kinds of testing apparatus and they had a pretty massive water ballast system that we had to fill up every day.

The crew were really nice though, and introduced me to guava juice.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man
Oh hell, I'll share a few pics from my ramping days.

The above King Air picture is a single exposure with no digital manipulation beyond some sharpening and turning up the saturation a few points.

Mr.Peabody
Jul 15, 2009
I suppose I can share a few pics from my albums as well....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

grover posted:

That guy with dynolicious was risking the lives of everyone aboard that plane for his little joke, and probably didn't even realize it.

That's absurd. There was absolutely no risk involved nor is there any with using cell phones on planes and has not been for a very long time. That article you posted is full of maybes and oh it could have been that! An engineer with Boeing doesn't mean anything (hint they don't manufacture their own navigation systems). In fact the only actual tests performed in that article were by American Airlines that found no interference across their different plane types, which you conveniently didn't bold, in addition to other airlines.

My father has been an engineer working on them for 3 decades, and he is the most careful person I have ever known, and if he doesn't buy it, I don't either. He's logged thousands of hours of approaches working on these systems from personal aircraft to 747s. That article is worth as much as one about Obama being a closeted Muslin foreign born terrorist.