Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McGravin
Aug 25, 2004

Tantum via caeli per ferro incendioque est.

DaveWoo posted:

Somehow, I suspect that reunion may not be as heartwarming.

People keep expressing this opinion or variations of it, and I honestly don't see where they're coming from. I agree with Kismet that Kat may have been disappointed by how things happened, I can't imagine her being angry or even blaming Annie.

It's not like Kat's summer was utterly ruined. There might have been a damper put on things, but she still got to go to Scotland and Paris and whatnot. And she wouldn't assume that Annie changed her plans on purpose purely to screw over Kat's chances of having fun.

Edit: People were also thinking there was going to be a lot of anger and resentment between Annie and Reynardine, but that got resolved in like two pages. I'm pretty sure we'll get a page along the lines of "Sorry my plans changed."/"We missed you. Want to hear about how cool Scotland was?"

McGravin fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Mar 2, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Really though, Kat was killed in a car accident about a week after she left.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Rei_ posted:

:eng101: Burned to death in a house fire.

"If only you'd been there, Annie! You could have saved her from the fire! Woooooooo!"

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Rei_ posted:

And THAT'S why you don't cheat off your friend's homework!

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
But that didn't kill her. She turned into a bitter cyborg with no hair and a prosthetic eye.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Jones is future robot Kat from the future.

CyRaptor
Aug 27, 2004

Fuck Sandy Petersen, again.

Ka0 posted:

But that didn't kill her. She turned into a bitter cyborg with no hair and a prosthetic eye.

And a symbolic butt?

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
Think Dr. Terror from the Centurions but cuter.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Rei_ posted:

Jones is future robot Kat from the future.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Because she's Kat, duh. She would object to a term as simple as robot, that's a racial slur. Are you some kind of racist?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Jones is actually Kat from the past, duh.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!

Kismet posted:

Kat just doesn't have an angry grudge-holding personality

I wouldn't mess with her...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Dodgeball posted:

Who punches a psychopomp?

Who has the stones to punch a psychopomp?

OurLivesOnline
Nov 5, 2009

let's be friends
Funnily (in the sense that it's not funny at all) enough, that was the page of Gunnerkrigg that was up when I first tried to read it... And I didn't because that page gave me the impression that this comic was going to be all about ~wacky~ kids going against the authority and punching other gods maybe from other mythologies and etc.

Yeah... :negative:

Casull
Aug 13, 2005

:catstare: :catstare: :catstare:

fishmech posted:

Jones is actually Kat from the past, duh.

This isn't MS Paint Adventures; there are no time shenanigans, okay? :colbert:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Jones is Lord English.

The 19th Person
Sep 26, 2010

The devious DARKBRINGER plans to dominate first Lightbringer, and then the entire Midwest!

Dodgeball posted:

4th panel.

"You're already dead. :black101:"

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

Dodgeball posted:

The moment when I read the comment on that page was the moment when I decided that Gunnerkrigg was my favorite webcomic.

Agreeable Employer
Apr 28, 2008

OurLivesOnline posted:

Funnily (in the sense that it's not funny at all) enough, that was the page of Gunnerkrigg that was up when I first tried to read it... And I didn't because that page gave me the impression that this comic was going to be all about ~wacky~ kids going against the authority and punching other gods maybe from other mythologies and etc.

You think that's bad? I actually thought Gunnerkrigg was a gaming comic because I was linked the bonus comic of Annie watching Kat play GTA. The guy who linked it would send tons of gaming comics and I was starting to really hate gaming humour since I read way too much of it and was realizing how repetitive it was getting.

Once I saw it I was pretty much "Augh.." and deleted the email that had it.

It wasn't until later on in 2009 that a friend was talking about how much he was liking how Gunnerkrigg Court was progressing and I asked something like "Oh? What other crazy gamer humour has happened that's so different?"

He was a bit taken aback and then I asked "Isn't that the comic about the gamer girls?" He gave a very annoyed "No." I later read the archives and was really surprised of how good it was. It's terrible that I would've missed such a good comic just for assuming it was zany gamer humour from that one comic.

Thanks for almost making me miss out on one of the web's best comics with your terrible love of gaming comics, Pete. :argh:

AceO
Sep 23, 2010

Pierce, I can see you're really upset about this. I think you ought to sit down, take a stress pill, and think things over.

OurLivesOnline posted:

Annie and Kat in...

MYTH~PUNCHERZ

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

I got linked to Gunnerkrigg around the time of the first Tic-Toc and Zimmy story and I thought "gee this is Harry Potter with girls, but warped". Then the following stories got me interested and I kept on reading.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!

AceO posted:

Annie and Kat in...

MYTH~PUNCHERZ

MYTH PUNCHSTED!

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
Forgive me if this has been posted before, but it looks like Tom's posted the cover for volume 3:

You know, I never really realized how big Ysengrin is before.

Kismet
Jun 11, 2007

That's just a mockup, he posted the real cover on his twitter:

Unexpected EOF
Dec 8, 2008

I'm a Bro-ny!
Is that... the King of All Cosmos?

Pester
Apr 22, 2008

And has he been going by Thomas all along?

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Unexpected EOF posted:

Is that... the King of All Cosmos?

It's the robot king, with the whiteboard face.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
No matter how many fakes you put up, the true chapter cover will reign supreme.

McGravin
Aug 25, 2004

Tantum via caeli per ferro incendioque est.

Pester posted:

And has he been going by Thomas all along?

The first two have "Tom Siddell", as does the title bar of the comic.

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
Uh oh, Annie doesn't seem to have any concern that Kat will be mad. And thank god Tom totally cleared up what Jones is all about. No more dumb joke speculations now, right? :colbert:

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I... no, Annie, don't kick presumably metal things while barefoot. That would hurt! Seems pretty unphased by it, though.

We knew it'd be next week before we see Kat, but hopefully she'll pop up on Monday instead of Wednesday. Tom could always have Annie fill Renard in on the goings-on in the forest while they wait for Kat to arrive, but it'd be better if she got there first.

Kinda think Kat might ignore her, head to her room, and slam the door, though. Then we get Annie telling Renard about her summer. Then next chapter's about making up.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
I'm pretty sure we've heard all we're going to hear about the forest for now.

quote:

And that clears up The Mystery of Jones.

I love how he handles these things.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

wyoming posted:

First that cursed teapot, and now this! Tea-san, you incorrigible tease :argh:

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

wyoming posted:

I'm pretty sure we've heard all we're going to hear about the forest for now.

SOLVED FOREVER

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

quote:

And that clears up The Mystery of Jones.
Well that's a dick move

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

It's not the first time, and I think it's hilarious.

TheGreenAvenger
Jun 23, 2005

I killed Chin the Conqueror.
It's just his cheeky flat-affect sardonic british humor. I'm sorry, humour.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Every time Tom says something like "mystery solved" or "that answers that", this is what I generally think of:

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

That comic is literally the author talking to his audience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Tom's comments below the comic are usually the best part of the update, they have a very distinctive and detached tone I really like. Especially when he does the "that guy is Eglamore" or "That explains everything" ones.