Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerome Agricola
Apr 11, 2010

Seriously,

who dat?

Casao posted:

That kinda sounds like a S-On response, but I'm not sure the Desire has that. Someone who owns it would have to clarify.

The Desire has S-On.

Anjow posted:

I just got my first Android device today, an HTC Desire running 2.2 rooted with unrevoked. I'm trying to remove preinstalled applications but the two solutions I come across have problems.

If you are trying to remove the pre-installed applications in hopes of freeing up space for other apps, don't bother. The pre-installed crap is on the system partition and regular apps use the data partition, which is sized at 142 Mb no matter how much preinstalled bloatware crap you have. I think re-partitioning is pretty much the only way to get more space for apps on the Desire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Jerome Agricola posted:

If you are trying to remove the pre-installed applications in hopes of freeing up space for other apps, don't bother. The pre-installed crap is on the system partition and regular apps use the data partition, which is sized at 142 Mb no matter how much preinstalled bloatware crap you have. I think re-partitioning is pretty much the only way to get more space for apps on the Desire.

I'm trying to remove them because their appearance in my application list annoys me - I don't expect any material gain.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Anjow posted:

I'm trying to remove them because their appearance in my application list annoys me - I don't expect any material gain.

ADW and Launcher Pro can both hide them from the list, which is a fair bit easier than rooting and deleting the files.

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
Rubix Focused 2.0 looks like it would have better battery life for my Droid X than Liberty 1.5 right now. However, Liberty came with Liberty Toolbox which has some great options that I've taken advantage of like LCD Density, themes, and system font. Those changes will go away if I install Rubix, right? Can Liberty Toolbox still be used even if I'm using Rubix Focused?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

LastInLine posted:

I don't have an NC but does it work the same as regular Android phones (Settings > Wireless & Networks > Wi-Fi settings *Menu button* Advanced > Wi-Fi sleep policy > Never)?

On the SD card that I have Honeycomb loaded onto, yes. On the internal memory where I used autonooker, no.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Casao posted:

Too bad their are giant gently caress-off issues with CM7 for NC right now, like the Market being half broken. It sucks, I haven't been able to update an app since installing.

I had a big issue with apps not updating and the market and some other stuff being a little fubar when I went to the latest nightly for N1 from the RC, so I'm hoping once they start putting more out it'll be working again.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

big mean giraffe posted:

I had a big issue with apps not updating and the market and some other stuff being a little fubar when I went to the latest nightly for N1 from the RC, so I'm hoping once they start putting more out it'll be working again.

It's related to the DPI - My Apps is inaccessible, and apps that are installed when I try to view their page will just go "lol nope" <--- direct quote.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Casao posted:

It's related to the DPI - My Apps is inaccessible, and apps that are installed when I try to view their page will just go "lol nope" <--- direct quote.

Mine just does absolutely nothing except sits and mocks me when I hit the "OK" button after viewing an app's permissions. I got angry and said gently caress it because I didn't have time to deal with it.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Jerome Agricola posted:

The Desire has S-On.

For what it's worth, I think you can free up some space on /data by moving the apks for Market-updated system apps into /system. You'd probably have to delete the originals first and then reboot, though. Titanium Backup can do this automatically as well.

Gourd of Taste
Sep 11, 2006

by Ralp
Hey is there a quick one-click root for the incredible? Considering doing it for a friend and if z4root works it's not a thing but if it's going to be a lot of work..

It's an HTC though so it shouldn't be crazy right?

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Gourd of Taste posted:

Hey is there a quick one-click root for the incredible? Considering doing it for a friend and if z4root works it's not a thing but if it's going to be a lot of work..

It's an HTC though so it shouldn't be crazy right?

http://unrevoked.com/#inc

Drevoak
Jan 30, 2007
Does anyone else have the Evo Shift and is disappointed with the lack of roms/modding community? Theres only a few rom makers that have updated in the past month. Even the ones that do, they barely keep a changelog which just makes me feel like they don't know what they are doing. I figured since it was another HTC phone for sprint there would be a decent attraction to it.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Those who care, Virgin Mobile's "Optimus V" CM7 build just got updated from 02/23 to 03/01.

http://forum.androidcentral.com/optimus-v/62730-zefies-cm7-optimus-v-current-03012011-a.html

Any reason I should hold off on updating? I'm pretty bad at deciphering changelists to figure out if the build is better or not.

Edit: Oh, wow, it kept all my data and apps. I thought I was gonna have to do that poo poo all over again. Well, no noticeable difference anyways except that FM Radio app is gone.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Mar 3, 2011

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Is there any reason why I'm not getting 4G with CM7 Build 11? As far as I know Miami should have 4G, plus build 6 of CM7 had 4G in it apparently. Checking around the CM forums I'm seeing a lot of people saying they have 4G just fine, so did I screw something up? I can get the 4G icon to show up but it stays in scanning mode forever.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
Just rooted my Droid X with z4root. What are the recommended roms to try out?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

yamdankee posted:

Rubix Focused 2.0 looks like it would have better battery life for my Droid X than Liberty 1.5 right now. However, Liberty came with Liberty Toolbox which has some great options that I've taken advantage of like LCD Density, themes, and system font. Those changes will go away if I install Rubix, right? Can Liberty Toolbox still be used even if I'm using Rubix Focused?

I've never used it, but in the RubiX thread, Drod mentions that the Liberty Toolbox will stay no matter what ROM you put on after Liberty.

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

Skeezy posted:

Is there any reason why I'm not getting 4G with CM7 Build 11? As far as I know Miami should have 4G, plus build 6 of CM7 had 4G in it apparently. Checking around the CM forums I'm seeing a lot of people saying they have 4G just fine, so did I screw something up? I can get the 4G icon to show up but it stays in scanning mode forever.

Did you blow away your 4G RSA keys unintentionally with clockwork? There are market apps that will tell you if you still have them.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".
Is there a way to clear the stats on which apps are using certain percentages of the battery? I have a game I haven't played in a couple days taking the lion's share of the life, and I'd like to see this info on a day-to-day basis (charging nightly).

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Turnquiet posted:

Did you blow away your 4G RSA keys unintentionally with clockwork? There are market apps that will tell you if you still have them.

I never used Clockwork since I was always scared to.

Edit: Found an app to check on the RSA keys, looks like I have them just fine. Still can't connect to 4G though.

Skeezy fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Mar 3, 2011

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->

Skeezy posted:

I had the same problem when flashed CM7 for a couple of hours and then it magically worked. Maybe you just have to wait?

sup miami goon

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
I know this is nerdy as hell, but what's the easiest way to get zsh on my android!

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
So, I know that by default you can create a folder called "Ringtones" on your SD card and Android will recognize that and allow you to set things in there as a ringtone...but I have two problems with it:

1. It seems to be hit of miss. Earlier today, My ringtone worked just fine for one call, then for no apparent reason, it defaulted back to some generic ring for the next call. Then, when I tried to set the ringtone I wanted again, it wouldn't let me.

2. If I have my SD card mounted, the phone acts like it's in silent mode and doesn't make a sound.

So...is there a way I can alleviate these problems? i.e. - since I'm rooted, can I just place ringtones into the /System partition so that they're not even on the SD card anymore? If so, what is the correct folder to do so?

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Ozmodiar posted:

So, I know that by default you can create a folder called "Ringtones" on your SD card and Android will recognize that and allow you to set things in there as a ringtone...but I have two problems with it:

1. It seems to be hit of miss. Earlier today, My ringtone worked just fine for one call, then for no apparent reason, it defaulted back to some generic ring for the next call. Then, when I tried to set the ringtone I wanted again, it wouldn't let me.

2. If I have my SD card mounted, the phone acts like it's in silent mode and doesn't make a sound.

So...is there a way I can alleviate these problems? i.e. - since I'm rooted, can I just place ringtones into the /System partition so that they're not even on the SD card anymore? If so, what is the correct folder to do so?

I had this same issue and got sick of it as well, but luckily the fix is easy. Just use Root Explorer (or something similar) to go to /system/media/audio/. In that directory, you'll see the same folder structure (./alarms, ./notifications, ./ringtones) that you have in the SD card folder; just move the audio files into the appropriate directory and make sure to set the permissions on each one to rw-r--r-- (or 644). After a reboot, go in and redo all of your custom ringtone/notification settings, and you should be good.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Penguissimo posted:

I had this same issue and got sick of it as well, but luckily the fix is easy. Just use Root Explorer (or something similar) to go to /system/media/audio/. In that directory, you'll see the same folder structure (./alarms, ./notifications, ./ringtones) that you have in the SD card folder; just move the audio files into the appropriate directory and make sure to set the permissions on each one to rw-r--r-- (or 644). After a reboot, go in and redo all of your custom ringtone/notification settings, and you should be good.

Thanks...but I don't follow 100%.

I used File Manager (came with CM7) to locate the /system/media/audio folder, and it has the subfolders you named...however, the folder I created on my SD card (/Ringtones) does not have that same folder structure...I'm not sure if this matters or not. Also, I have no idea how to set folder permissions...and you completely lost me at "rw-r--r-- (or 644)"...

Help?

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
So, anyone bothered to read the CM changelog lately?

quote:

Common: Notification profiles - Martin Long
A great feature I missed from the Blackberry days.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

big mean giraffe posted:

So, anyone bothered to read the CM changelog lately?

A great feature I missed from the Blackberry days.

Tangent question: When updating nightlies, is it necessary to redownload and flash gapps as well?

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

brc64 posted:

Tangent question: When updating nightlies, is it necessary to redownload and flash gapps as well?

I never have.

I've always just flashed a nightly over a previous nightly without any problems.

If I ever did have a problem, THEN I'd do a full wipe & reinstall.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

brc64 posted:

I thought that with CM7, it became nessicary to flash both. I just keep gapps on my sdcard and flash it after updating the nightly. If you are still on CM6, you won't need to.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

deong posted:

I thought that with CM7, it became nessicary to flash both. I just keep gapps on my sdcard and flash it after updating the nightly. If you are still on CM6, you won't need to.

I've run 8-10 CM7 nightlies, including RC1 and the post WiMax inclusive nightly from two days ago, and I've never had to re-flash gapps...

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

Ozmodiar posted:

I've run 8-10 CM7 nightlies, including RC1 and the post WiMax inclusive nightly from two days ago, and I've never had to re-flash gapps...
Just flashed CM7 nightly 12 over what I had, didn't do gapps, everything is good. And I can restore apps from Titanium Backup now!

Hopefully the random reboots stop in this build...

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Got a question for G2 CM6/7 users:

My buddy has a G2 running CM6, the last stable one. Well he got hit by the SMS to the wrong person bug and asked if there was something he could do. I know this was fixed in 2.2.2 and 2.3.2, but I don't think there was a stock G2 update to 2.2.2 and the CM6 version he's on reports the Android version as 2.2.1.

Was there a CM6 nightly for the G2 that fixed the SMS bug or used 2.2.2?

If not, how are the CM7 nightlies for the G2? Everything I read on xda and the Cyanogen forums suggest that they're pretty lovely.

I'd honestly rather wait until CM7 was a lot more polished but he's not too happy about the SMS being sent to the wrong person so I'm doing what I can to help.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

LastInLine posted:

My buddy has a G2 running CM6, the last stable one. Well he got hit by the SMS to the wrong person bug and asked if there was something he could do. I know this was fixed in 2.2.2 and 2.3.2, but I don't think there was a stock G2 update to 2.2.2 and the CM6 version he's on reports the Android version as 2.2.1.

If not, how are the CM7 nightlies for the G2? Everything I read on xda and the Cyanogen forums suggest that they're pretty lovely.

I'd honestly rather wait until CM7 was a lot more polished but he's not too happy about the SMS being sent to the wrong person so I'm doing what I can to help.

I've had 0 issues with CM and my G2. Both CM6 and CM7 nightlies run flawless from what I can tell. I don't get into HSPA+ very often, but when I do that seems to work fine even. Every now and then one of the nightlies will cause random reboots, but the RC1 should be fine.

If I recall, there are a few of us G2+CM7 users w/o complaint.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

brc64 posted:

Just flashed CM7 nightly 12 over what I had, didn't do gapps, everything is good. And I can restore apps from Titanium Backup now!

Hopefully the random reboots stop in this build...

So far so good, although I do appear to be having VPN problems (which I believe I had in the previous CM7 build as well). Looking at aLogcat, it looks like things are just timing out when trying to connect, but I know it worked fine when I was on Fresh (Sense-based ROM), and I triple-checked my settings.

I did some searching, and I found this bug report, which suggests that the PPTP issues are kernel related. Somebody posted a kernel patch, but I don't know wtf to do with that (or if I should just stay away, since for all I know that's an N1-specific thing that would gently caress up my phone).

Would flashing a completely different kernel be something to try? I assume a nandroid backup would be sufficient to backup the current kernel as well.

Having working PPTP isn't a requirement, but it's really handy for me to be able to access work email and stuff.

z3bracak3
Apr 22, 2010

LastInLine posted:

If I remember correctly the wrong message recipient thing was a Froyo bug? I'm not 100% sure but I'm running CM7 on my G2 and that issue is gone away, and I have no problems. Desire Z's have many many issues according to XDA but our vision g2s dont have wifi/data/call problems. The major issue is GPS not locking on. I flashed CM7 a week ago, GPS would tell me I was a street over in my house. I did another wipe yesterday, and now I have 0 issues and great battery life (flash pershoot kernel)

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

z3bracak3 posted:

If I remember correctly the wrong message recipient thing was a Froyo bug? I'm not 100% sure but I'm running CM7 on my G2 and that issue is gone away, and I have no problems. Desire Z's have many many issues according to XDA but our vision g2s dont have wifi/data/call problems. The major issue is GPS not locking on. I flashed CM7 a week ago, GPS would tell me I was a street over in my house. I did another wipe yesterday, and now I have 0 issues and great battery life (flash pershoot kernel)
It wasn't a Froyo thing because when the patch rolled out the Nexus S got 2.3.2 to address the same bug.

Thanks for clearing up the Z/G2 thing, I thought that might've been the case looking at the posters' locations on xda. I'll let my friend know that the most current CM7 nightly seems to be doing better on GPS.

Thanks to deong too!

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Skeezy posted:

I never used Clockwork since I was always scared to.

Edit: Found an app to check on the RSA keys, looks like I have them just fine. Still can't connect to 4G though.

Just a thought, but do you have WiFi on while trying to use 4G? I always have to turn it off or else WiMax will just cycle on and off.

CombatMedic
Feb 26, 2004

ANUDDAH SUCCESSFOOL PRECEEDJUH!
I recently flashed CM7. Does anyone have any advice on how to permanently fix the GPS fix bug? My GPS will seek forever but won't lock onto a signal. I tried a fix I saw on XDA which involved flashing to a Sense rom and entering ##GPSCLRX# or something into the dialer, but it doesn't seem to have helped.

CM6 final has the same bug, FYI.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

CombatMedic: What's your phone?

LastInLine posted:

I've only got a couple odd issues with CM7 nightlies on my G2:

- I get about 16 hours to the charge off my default 1300mAh HTC battery at 800Mhz, which seems merely OK, but about 80% of that is spent on "Phone Idle" and "Cell Standby" and Wifi. While it makes sense to me that the radios consume the most power, is this normal? I'd have expected a LITTLE more. (I'm a fairly light user, no games, but coming from Nokia phones 16 hours to a charge is very little since I'm used to 48+ hours)
- The ringtone fudging bug I mentioned earlier. (adding or removing music or ringtones from your SD card will screw up your notification sounds)
- The occasional random reboot, always seems to be centred around the screen turning off in landscape mode. (it has yet to reboot on me when I am actually using the phone)
- I find that my G2 constantly switches between 3G and HSPA+, which causes a lot of network delays as I sit there waiting for HSPA+ to kick in before the damned radio starts working again. (honestly I'd turn off HSPA+ if I could just to get rid of this problem)

I haven't thoroughly tested GPS, it's not part of my day-to-day as the network location pinning generally works very well for my purposes.

Regarding my battery life; I think I will tinker with Tasker to see how good it is at turning wifi on/off as I use the phone. I don't care how fast my phone works when the screen is off, but I'd like wifi on for when I'm actually using it. (and I'm at work, or at home, the only places I have wifi access on anyway) Would that help, or just hurt? (since all wifi data transmission would fall back to 3G)

To answer another post: yes, I noticed that Cyanogen mod is getting notification profiles! I find it hilarious that I took the feature for granted on my Nokia phones and that neither Android nor iPhone did this, and the committer noted exactly that when he made the commit. :) However I'm going to wait a few days for the 2.3.3 dust to settle before I upgrade to another nightly.

LiquidRain fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Mar 4, 2011

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!
I flashed MEMroiD to my DZ today which is a port of a HD rom and I'm loving it. It's much snappier then Virtuous was and it even has the stock music app that rotates to landscape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CombatMedic
Feb 26, 2004

ANUDDAH SUCCESSFOOL PRECEEDJUH!
[quote="LiquidRain"]
CombatMedic: What's your phone?

Sorry, it's an EVO.