Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Reminder that Cossack Stage 2 is the spiritual successor to MM2 Wily Stage 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_wpW6zpqHY

I would say it's on par with it. It's so drat good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
X3 isn't a lovely game, it's just the least good out of the first X trilogy. It's like Mega Man X's Return of the Jedi. The music, level design, weapons and bosses just aren't up to par with the last two. However, if you like collecting stuff, it has more replay value.

I love the first four X games to death, after that though, they went downhill fast.

MegaMan 9, 10 and Legends 3 made me jump for joy, but I don't really want another X sequel. As far as I'm concerned, they ended with X5. I'd only really dig another X game if it was SNES style and either took place before X5, or was an alternate X6 where Zero never comes back and X finally fights Dr. Wily (or has that final climactic battle with Zero they hinted at for 3 games but never did and gave me the biggest case of videogame blueballs ever).

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
He does have a big fight with Zero in X5 though?

Or did I miss something?

I heard X8 was pretty good, sadly I haven't got a PS2 to try it.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Simply Simon posted:

Or did I miss something?

I heard X8 was pretty good, sadly I haven't got a PS2 to try it.

I mean kinda, they fight, but it's a little lame. It was like fighting against a bad player who didn't know how to play the game. The Zero fight in X2 was way better.

X8 was alright. Not nearly as good as X1-X4, but not terrible like X6-X7.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Simply Simon posted:

I think it was initially framed from the beginning of the series that one day he will have to fight/destroy Zero. It left everything to the imagination which of course means that people figure that it will be an epic battle. The stakes are high, we're on different sides, and in order to save the world you have to fight Zero, your best friend. I don't know how I'd write something like that but it wouldn't be like this:

"Hey zero you have to go back to the doctor no I don't wanna go to the doctor well then I'll MAKE you go to the doctor pew pew pew oh no you used Soul Body (???) and now I'm beaten too" then sigma shows up and Zero goes "GO AWAY SIGMA" and sigma goes "OK" and leaves.

Kind of left a bad taste in my mouth.

S-Alpha posted:

Speaking of MvC3, though, I hate to get excited over rumors, but if they're actually considering X (given all the clamor over him in the Capcom polls and at the launch party, after all), I would be so happy.

I haven't heard these rumors but I doubt they're true. The character select screen seems to only have four more empty spots, and Jill Valentine (Resident Evil) and Shuma Gorath (Doctor Strange villain) are already announced. If the dataminers are correct, the other two will be occupied by Frank West (Dead Rising) and Doctor Octopus (Spider Man villain of course)

Spiffo fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Mar 2, 2011

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Megaman X will always be cool in my brain for some reason, and I will never know why. If they did a sorta-reboot with a simpler story and less ham-fisted attempts at drama, and absolutely 0 gimmick levels, they would have a solid game people would be excited about.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Gammatron 64 posted:

I'd only really dig another X game if it was SNES style and either took place before X5, or was an alternate X6 where Zero never comes back and X finally fights Dr. Wily (or has that final climactic battle with Zero they hinted at for 3 games but never did and gave me the biggest case of videogame blueballs ever).

Chinaman7000 posted:

Megaman X will always be cool in my brain for some reason, and I will never know why. If they did a sorta-reboot with a simpler story and less ham-fisted attempts at drama, and absolutely 0 gimmick levels, they would have a solid game people would be excited about.

Even though I loving suck at these games (Cannot ever advance past the first levels of the ZX games) I really agree.
These complaints and how the later games became Mega Man "Zero and his buddy X!!!!" instead of just X were what I did not like. Played X4 years and years after X and it just felt all wrong. I do not like Zero. I do not like fighting with swords and I hate his hair.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Yeah, Zero seriously overshadows X in most aspects in the later games - from X4 on, when he didn't suck to play. I still love to play as X more than him, because I'm a big fan of the buster and special weapons, but...it's easy to see why they would go this route, one decision that's actually been a good one, in my opinion.

At least after the X games themselves, they are after all titled after X (this sentence has too many afters drat it). Thing is...X is just a drat lovely character, especially for a Mega Man game. His attitude...might work in an RPG...as a white mage...but certainly not if he's out there alone killing tons of dudes.
"Why must we always fight" is a GOOD QUESTION, in theory, but so totally at odds with his actions that X7 is actually the game where he gets handled most consistently...by staying out of the fighting altogether until he realizes that hey, it DOES save people. Gameplaywise, though, especially in that game, it loving sucks.

Zero, however, fits the whole tone far better and I love how he gets treated in his own series. Ciel fills the role of X perfectly, except that she DOES not fight (and doesn't have to), whereas Zero does what he does best: Not giving a gently caress. He's the perfect counterpoint to her bitching.
Also the Zero games have the Buster for him, too, and I'm absolutely okay with them for that reason. And we get the reverse-duel, that counts for something, right? Fighting X is a blast, and Zero fighting himself at the end of Zero 3 might just be the best bossfight ever in a Mega Man game.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Gammatron 64 posted:

I'd only really dig another X game if it was SNES style

If it was a downloadable like MM9 and 10 I would buy this day 1, as well as the Classic game that links the Classic and X series by having Mega Man fight Wily's final creation, Zero.

pokecapn
Oct 17, 2003

yeah, galo sengen

Yonic Symbolism posted:

These complaints and how the later games became Mega Man "Zero and his buddy X!!!!" instead of just X were what I did not like. Played X4 years and years after X and it just felt all wrong. I do not like Zero. I do not like fighting with swords and I hate his hair.

This is because Inafune wanted Zero to be the protagonist of the X series, but Capcom said that he wouldn't fly as the main character since he didn't look like Mega Man.

Orcasword
Jan 2, 2009

Spiffo posted:

I think it was initially framed from the beginning of the series that one day he will have to fight/destroy Zero. It left everything to the imagination which of course means that people figure that it will be an epic battle. The stakes are high, we're on different sides, and in order to save the world you have to fight Zero, your best friend. I don't know how I'd write something like that but it wouldn't be like this:

"Hey zero you have to go back to the doctor no I don't wanna go to the doctor well then I'll MAKE you go to the doctor pew pew pew oh no you used Soul Body (???) and now I'm beaten too" then sigma shows up and Zero goes "GO AWAY SIGMA" and sigma goes "OK" and leaves.

Kind of left a bad taste in my mouth.

Yeah, in the same way that X8 claims Sigma dies for good but it's so drat anti-climatic. He just blows up as per usual and then Lumine butts in.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

X never liked having to kill people, but he did it anyway. He didn't become a pussy until we got Zero as a playable character. Hell, before that he probably had like 5 lines of dialogue total.

Also, Zero doesn't fight X in the Zero games, he fights a clone. Though if the real X had become evil and he had to fight and kill him, that would have been ballsy as hell and I would have given them major props for that.

The X\Zero\ZX series story is a complete, total, horrible mess, but when I was like 13 and I only had X1-X3 it was like the most awesome poo poo ever. It had potential to be cool.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Gammatron 64 posted:

Also, Zero doesn't fight X in the Zero games, he fights a clone. Though if the real X had become evil and he had to fight and kill him, that would have been ballsy as hell and I would have given them major props for that.
I heard Inafune wanted to do that but X6.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Orcasword posted:

Yeah, in the same way that X8 claims Sigma dies for good but it's so drat anti-climatic. He just blows up as per usual and then Lumine butts in.

The writing just gets lazier and lazier as it goes on. He already "died for good" a long time ago. Zero being rebuilt by Sigma in X2 from the original parts, and Sigma turning out to be a virus so Doppler creates an antivirus to kill him for good, that was good stuff.

Then later you get poo poo like ZEEEEELLLLOOOOO DIEDIEDIEDIE. Even in X5 when Zero supposedly "dies for good (again)", he comes back next game. They didn't even bother explaining where he came from, it was like the writers just resigned themselves to their fate, sighing and going "oh and Zero shows up too" It literally goes You fight Phantom Zero > You beat Phantom Zero > The real Zero is here

I still don't know why Sigma came back after the antivirus wiped him out. Probably the same way Zero did (MAAAGIC). They didn't even try. If they made an X9 I bet Sigma would totally be the villain. It doesn't matter that they "killed him for good" because they've ignore that restriction at least twice in the past already.

Spiffo fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Mar 2, 2011

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Simply Simon posted:

I heard Inafune wanted to do that but X6.

Oh yeah, pretty much everything I'm saying is what Inafune would have wanted, too. hen things went to poo poo, it was because Capcom just started making games without his input, or even his knowlege.

Inafune meant for X5 to be the last, but then Capcom suddenly makes X6 without him even knowing about it, brings back Zero with no explanation, and then for X7 they make X a little bitch (moreso than ever), and replace him with Axl. They tried to undo the damage with X8, but it had already been done. Plus, I don't care for X8 because it's loaded with lame gimmicky stages.

If they really want to redeem Mega Man X, they'd have to release the "true" X5\X6. X4 doesn't need to be undone, as for the most part, it was fairly standalone and just revealed that Zero was indeed made by Wily, which you could repeat later anyway. Besides, unlike X5\6\7\8, X4 was actually a pretty good game.

MvC3 isn't cannon and vs games never are, but I do really like that it says that Mega Man Zero is an alternate timeline.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Gammatron 64 posted:

MvC3 isn't cannon and vs games never are, but I do really like that it says that Mega Man Zero is an alternate timeline.
Why should it do that? They more-or-less rebooted it anyway by giving Zero amnesia, telling us over the course of the games "the Maverick Wars ended" and nothing more, and even establishing its own backstory that's completely seperate from the X games (the Elf Wars).

There's a century between AND a giant war. It could not be more separate.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Wasn't the Maverick Hunter games supposed to be the refined version of the X series anyways?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Yeah until the first one sold so badly that any potential sequels were immediately shitcanned.

Anyway I like Zero because of the MMZ series. He never registered much with me beyond 'Is that a girl or a guy...? Guy, I guess.' the first time I saw him in the X series.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Gammatron 64 posted:

The X\Zero\ZX series story is a complete, total, horrible mess, but when I was like 13 and I only had X1-X3 it was like the most awesome poo poo ever. It had potential to be cool.

The clusterfuck of a story from Classic>X>Zero>ZX makes Mega Man Legends so much better.

So, uh, as it turns out, dozens and dozens of sequels' worth of all-out war between battle machines will gently caress a planet up *good*. "In a world covered by endless water..."

IXCE
Nov 27, 2007

It's time to take naps and eat yum yum...and I'm all outta yum.
Some beta screenshots have shown up for Mega Man Legends 3.
http://www.capcom-unity.com/devroom/blog/2011/03/02/eguchi_blog:_development_update

I think I'm going to have to buy a 3DS just so I can play this. I still really wish this would of been made for the consoles.

I'll also someday try to get a PSP just for Powered Up & Maverick Hunter.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Any word on re-releases of Megaman Legends 1 and 2? The series has been stagnant for so long that it makes sense to port them to PSN or at least release the original on the Wii's virtual console (which is already sort of supported if they did it as Mega Man 64)

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Gammatron 64 posted:

Oh yeah, pretty much everything I'm saying is what Inafune would have wanted, too. hen things went to poo poo, it was because Capcom just started making games without his input, or even his knowlege.

Inafune meant for X5 to be the last, but then Capcom suddenly makes X6 without him even knowing about it, brings back Zero with no explanation, and then for X7 they make X a little bitch (moreso than ever), and replace him with Axl. They tried to undo the damage with X8, but it had already been done. Plus, I don't care for X8 because it's loaded with lame gimmicky stages.

If they really want to redeem Mega Man X, they'd have to release the "true" X5\X6.

Yeah, it's a drat shame Inafune's vision was sort of spoiled. If you ignore X6/7/8 then X5 - Zero works.

Of course, then Capcom stepped in to ruin Zero as well.

Frankly, it'd take a hell of a writer to fix the entire mess, but a really, really good X9 may be able to. Somehow have X9 undo the mistakes X6-8 made.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Mister Roboto posted:

Yeah, it's a drat shame Inafune's vision was sort of spoiled.

To be honest, he didn't really have much of a vision to begin with. "It's Astroboy... with more clothes! And then it's Astroboy... except grimdark! And then it's Astroboy... as Kevin Costner in Waterworld! And then it's Astroboy... in cyberspace! And then it's Astroboy... designed by pedophiles!"

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Screaming Idiot posted:

To be honest, he didn't really have much of a vision to begin with. "It's Astroboy... with more clothes! And then it's Astroboy... except grimdark! And then it's Astroboy... as Kevin Costner in Waterworld! And then it's Astroboy... in cyberspace! And then it's Astroboy... designed by pedophiles!"

Well, granted it started off as an Astroboy clone, but it really seemed to branch off in its own direction with the humans vs robot warring. I think we all agree X4/5 were the best of the SNES era. The Zero games were about the same.

Then it seemed to go in a circle BACK to more weird anime archetypes.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mister Roboto posted:

Well, granted it started off as an Astroboy clone, but it really seemed to branch off in its own direction with the humans vs robot warring. I think we all agree X4/5 were the best of the SNES era. The Zero games were about the same.

Nah, it was just more Casshern then Astro Boy after a while. You can't even call the similarities a coincidence considering that they even homage Casshern's dog Friender in multiple ways, including literally including a robot enemy dog named Friender.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Mar 3, 2011

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

ImpAtom posted:

Nah, it was just more Casshern then Astro Boy after a while. You can't even call the similarities a coincidence considering that they even homage Casshern's dog Friender in multiple ways, including literally including a robot enemy dog named Friender.

Casshern always seemed like a cool concept to watch, I'm genuinely surprised no one in the US ripped it off for a new movie franchise. Hell, I'm surprised Uwe Boll didn't slap Megaman on it and try and get it made during his "troll all virgin nerds" phase.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Mister Roboto posted:

Casshern always seemed like a cool concept to watch, I'm genuinely surprised no one in the US ripped it off for a new movie franchise. Hell, I'm surprised Uwe Boll didn't slap Megaman on it and try and get it made during his "troll all virgin nerds" phase.

I would kicked Uwe Boll's rear end at boxing if he tried to make a Megaman movie. I would gain the power of ten Mike Tysons just to keep him from defiling one of the few good things left in this world.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

ImpAtom posted:

The main villian in Casshern, Black King Boss, was literally Sigma, and Casshern's helmet lights would even start blinking when he was low on energy, just like X.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Screaming Idiot posted:

I would kicked Uwe Boll's rear end at boxing if he tried to make a Megaman movie. I would gain the power of ten Mike Tysons just to keep him from defiling one of the few good things left in this world.

Its already been defiled by that horrible mega man fan produced movie.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

blackguy32 posted:

Its already been defiled by that horrible mega man fan produced movie.

That movie was a divine comedy sent from above. Especially with Dr. Wily's Wacky Mustache and Sun-Baked Dr. Light.

Uwe Boll, however, would only produce something so terrible it wouldn't even be fun to watch.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Screaming Idiot posted:

I seem to recall someone else we know saying that and it...not going too well for him.

It seems that real life is not like nerdy cartoons and tv specials, and being the plucky underdog does not give you muscles from the inner Strength of The Heart :ssj: but just gets you beaten up.

Basically what I am saying is that Megaman would be a cool movie series but you'd need a good director and not a deranged German boxer.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Mister Roboto posted:

It seems that real life is not like nerdy cartoons and tv specials, and being the plucky underdog does not give you muscles from the inner Strength of The Heart :ssj: but just gets you beaten up.

Give me six weeks, some steroids, methamphetamines, a gym, and the Complete Works soundtrack and I will literally become Gutsman to defeat Boll.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Oh no not my precious Mega Man story

I think a Mega Man movie by Boll would be hilarious, just like watching Blood Rayne drunk had me and my friend laughing our asses off constantly.

I also don't think that an X9 is in any way needed, story-wise. As I said before, the Zero games are perfectly standing alone because they ditched the backstory from the X games almost completely and made up their own, meaning that every X6 fuckery can be completely ignored. X8, on the other had, was made with the Zero games in mind, and X's vision of Neo Arcadia at the end ties them neatly together. Plot fixed, damage undone, X6 can go gently caress itself, I'm happy.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Mister Roboto posted:

I think we all agree X4/5 were the best of the SNES era.

The anime started with X4/X5 also they were not a part of the SNES era???

Honestly they should just reboot the franchise like they did with Megaman 9 and 10. Just make a Megaman X9 like the original and simply ignore all the bullshit that bogged the series down. Just don't acknowledge it at all. Maybe borrow a character or two if you can find something cool in them but otherwise go back to the old stuff.

It doesn't have to have old graphics either, just the gameplay style. Use megaman X and X2 as a guide, get some decent level designers (also fire the current level designers) and let them go to town.

pokecapn
Oct 17, 2003

yeah, galo sengen

Simply Simon posted:

I also don't think that an X9 is in any way needed, story-wise.

I want to play a game where X and Zero fight a bunch of Mavericks who roid themselves out with Cyber-Elves. And then they fight a Sigma clone before fighting the first Omega, just because Capcom are jerks.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I want to play as X or Zero during the Elf Wars.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Spiffo posted:

The writing just gets lazier and lazier as it goes on. He already "died for good" a long time ago. Zero being rebuilt by Sigma in X2 from the original parts, and Sigma turning out to be a virus so Doppler creates an antivirus to kill him for good, that was good stuff.

Then later you get poo poo like ZEEEEELLLLOOOOO DIEDIEDIEDIE. Even in X5 when Zero supposedly "dies for good (again)", he comes back next game. They didn't even bother explaining where he came from, it was like the writers just resigned themselves to their fate, sighing and going "oh and Zero shows up too" It literally goes You fight Phantom Zero > You beat Phantom Zero > The real Zero is here

I still don't know why Sigma came back after the antivirus wiped him out. Probably the same way Zero did (MAAAGIC). They didn't even try. If they made an X9 I bet Sigma would totally be the villain. It doesn't matter that they "killed him for good" because they've ignore that restriction at least twice in the past already.

I thought the canon(HA!) ending to X5 was the one where zero went into the capsule for hundreds of years, though.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Spiffo posted:

Honestly they should just reboot the franchise like they did with Megaman 9 and 10. Just make a Megaman X9 like the original and simply ignore all the bullshit that bogged the series down. Just don't acknowledge it at all. Maybe borrow a character or two if you can find something cool in them but otherwise go back to the old stuff.

It doesn't have to have old graphics either, just the gameplay style. Use megaman X and X2 as a guide, get some decent level designers (also fire the current level designers) and let them go to town.

Basically, do that, but they shouldn't call it MegaMan X9, because then it implies that X5-X8 exist. They have to be retconned, no other way to fix it.

Mega Man 9 and 10 went back to the basics, but then again, while some classic games were weak (MegaMan 8 is probably the worst), none of them permanently and irredeemably hosed up the whole series. There wasn't really a story arc, just little adventures that were for the most part stand alone.

GET IN THE ROBOT fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Mar 3, 2011

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Gammatron 64 posted:

Basically, do that, but they shouldn't call it MegaMan X9, because then it implies that X5-X8 exist. They have to be retconned, no other way to fix it.

Mega Man 9 and 10 went back to the basics, but then again, while some classic games were weak (MegaMan 8 is probably the worst), none of them permanently and irredeemably hosed up the whole series. There wasn't really a story arc, just little adventures that were for the most part stand alone.

Just call it Megaman X

If Sega can release a lovely game called just Sonic The Hedgehog, Capcom can release a good (or lovely who knows) game called Megaman X.

senae posted:

I thought the canon(HA!) ending to X5 was the one where zero went into the capsule for hundreds of years, though.

I think that's X6, in X5 he died (blown in half, top half firing the finishing shot at sigma)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Spiffo posted:

Just call it Megaman X

If Sega can release a lovely game called just Sonic The Hedgehog, Capcom can release a good (or lovely who knows) game called Megaman X.

Yeah, but you don't need to totally reboot it. X1-X4 are pretty good games. They should just do a game that takes place after X3 or X4. Leave the good ones in, and just retcon the lovely ones.

Call it Megaman X3.5 or something.