Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samuel L. Chan
May 13, 2007

Smoking marijuana, eating Cheese Doodles, and masturbating do not constitute 'plans' in my book!
I think it's gonna be pretty impossible to avoid fighting without outright dying in the kind of world Thorfinn's living in. There will certainly still be some Thors style rear end kicking in the future, I can just feel it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
It's not like we've lost the prince, who appears to be traveling England punting jerks in the nads. We don't need to rely on Thorfinn for our awesome action quota.

Robo Pope
Jul 17, 2004

I AM THE POPE, DO AS I SAY.
Horse punching will here forth be replaced by horse petting, and I am totally fine with that. Yukimura made a freaking arc about farming interesting, I'm gonna trust him with where ever he wants to take this story.

Crisco Kid
Jan 14, 2008

Where does the wind come from that blows upon your face, that fans the pages of your book?
I'd love to see this storyline converge with Canute and Thorkell just one more time, if only to see the clash of ideals. Thorfinn and Canute have basically swapped roles.

And I'm with others in thinking Thorfinn won't be able to pull off complete pacifism in the Viking Age. He may be torn up over senseless violence (and getting in a fight with the servants that solved nothing), but that's different from standing aside and letting, say, Einar get hurt or killed through inaction.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Samuel L. Chan posted:

I think it's gonna be pretty impossible to avoid fighting without outright dying in the kind of world Thorfinn's living in. There will certainly still be some Thors style rear end kicking in the future, I can just feel it.

Remember that, on top of all that, Vinland isn't exactly uninhabited. Like a previous poster said, there's a difference between violence for the sake of war and conquest and violence to defend your community and ensure that it can grow and thrive.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

I don't expect to see much more of Canute. That last chapter about him seemed to be set up to book end his rise to power and tie up loose ends from that perspective. Thorkell was looking mighty bored at the end though...

Then again he might not be able to resist throwing in the odd chapter about such a cool historical figure... Heck, the tale about Canute ordering the sea to be whipped is still one of my favourite stories ever.

quote:

King Canute is best remembered for the story of how he commanded the waves to go back in Bosham. According to oral tradition, he grew tired of flattery by the locals. "You are the greatest man that ever lived," one would say. "O king, there can never be another as mighty as you," another would say. "Great Canute, you are the monarch of all, nothing in this world would dare to disobey you." When one such flatterer said the king could command the obedience of the sea, the King proved him wrong by practical demonstration on the foreshore.

"Let all men know how empty and worthless is the power of kings. For there is none worthy of the name but God, whom heaven, earth and sea obey".

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
So I started reading Historie to get some images from it for the OP and holy poo poo it really does loving own. Vinland Saga people: read dis.

Like... it starts really slow for volume 1, but then Volume 2 talking about Eumenes' childhood is where it ramps the gently caress up, what with a Scythian slave basically fighting off the entirety of Cardia at once through sheer brutality and badassitude.

It's historical as gently caress and yet badass as gently caress.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Zorak posted:

So I started reading Historie to get some images from it for the OP and holy poo poo it really does loving own. Vinland Saga people: read dis.

Like... it starts really slow for volume 1, but then Volume 2 talking about Eumenes' childhood is where it ramps the gently caress up, what with a Scythian slave basically fighting off the entirety of Cardia at once through sheer brutality and badassitude.

It's historical as gently caress and yet badass as gently caress.
I really wonder how long this manga's gonna take. If Iwaaki wants to cover everything in Plutarch plus his own flourish, it's easily going to go on for the rest of his life. If, however, Iwaaki incorporates some time skips here and there, it could last for another, more reasonable 5 to 15 years.

JerseyMonkey
Jul 1, 2007

Updated the OP. Thanks for the topic change and improved layout of images in the OP Zorak.

I read the three volumes of Otoyomegatari and it is an awesome series. Haven't had chance to explore Emma yet.

Does anyone have a recommendation on an image to use for Cesare? I found lots of neat images such as these: http://sakkaku.splinder.com/post/16710528/cesare-borgia-di-fuyumi-souryo

But nothing seems befitting to describe the manga.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!
Regarding Cesare, it's pretty amusing to see someone I'm pretty sure is meant to be Michelangelo run around and screw up in all sorts of diplomacy. He definitely should stay with the craftsmanship and try to stay out of politics. ;)

Rakugoon
Jul 30, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I'm about 16 chapters into Emma right now.

I feel kind of disgruntled because I like the love-rival more than the titular character.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Emma is amazing and I end up rereading the whole thing maybe once or twice a year. The series is pretty decent too but I much prefer the manga, simply because it's easier to blow through now that I've watched it already, plus the series leaves out a whole bunch.

I liked what I read about Mori's new work, but it wasn't far along when I did so I'm gonna wait on that one for a awhile before trying to five back in. Interesting if a little creepy what with arranged marriages between rocking gal and like a 12 year old boy.

Hellbunny
Dec 24, 2008

I'm not bad, I'm just misunderstood.

DamnGlitch posted:

Interesting if a little creepy what with arranged marriages between rocking gal and like a 12 year old boy.

Considering that place and time period, unless she wanted to whitewash the story this scenario was by far the best. The opposite (20 guy, 12 year old girl) would be far more common, but since Mori's not an idiot there's no way she'd ever do anything like that.

It's a decent trade off between historical accuracy and what we as a society can accept.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Also, because reversals and paradoxes in expected power dynamics can be dramatic, interesting, and comedic, by turns. depending on the tone adopted by a competent author. He's the man of the house...but he's only a kid! She's uncertain in her new home...but she has a hundred amazing talents!

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Doc Hawkins posted:

Also, because reversals and paradoxes in expected power dynamics can be dramatic, interesting, and comedic, by turns. depending on the tone adopted by a competent author. He's the man of the house...but he's only a kid! She's uncertain in her new home...but she has a hundred amazing talents!

He's only a kid... But he laid a righteous smack-down on an adult warrior!

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Oh trust me I understand why it's in there, and i'm not saying she should change it or have done it differently. Just an outsider looking in perspective, I guess.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Here's something a neat: walkthrough of how the Otoyomegatari artist draws her stuff

http://natalie.mu/comic/pp/otoyomegatari

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

Really interesting, especially compared to others I've seen (Yukito Kishiro does practically everything on his mac)

Robo Pope
Jul 17, 2004

That was a really cool link, thanks Zorak.

Cutting away the extra bits of tone freaked me out, I wonder how many times she's pressed a little too hard and cut the actual drawing?

Macheath
Jun 14, 2000

I am hope.
Just got done with issue 21 of Historie. Wow, what a great story.

and now begins the gay slave rape

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Samuel L. Chan posted:

Yea, I'm pretty sure Thorfinn is being set up to eventually achieve the same kind of attitude his father had toward fighting. He's gone from an idyllic childhood to teen warrior through mindless slavery and is now going to try and be a complete pacifist. It's never gonna work out for him though, which means bye-bye Einar I'd imagine. And I don't even like typing those words, because I really wanted him to survive and bring his wife with him on Thorfinn's journey. I just can't see him surviving as things stand however.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Btw, I take it Otoyomegatari is set in the run up to the Crimean War? All this talk of tensions with the Russains rising makes me presume so.

I find it interesting how little Islam features. I thought that entire area was fairly solidly Muslim.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Islam in Central Asia is more of "build fancy mosques, but drink and eat pork" sort of deal. I'm not sure if it was because of the Soviet Union's influence or if it went back further.

Can you put Ravages of Time in the OP? Its basically Chinese Vinland Saga so it should be applicable.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Munin posted:

Btw, I take it Otoyomegatari is set in the run up to the Crimean War? All this talk of tensions with the Russains rising makes me presume so.

I find it interesting how little Islam features. I thought that entire area was fairly solidly Muslim.
The Crimean War wasn't the only source of tension between Russia and Britain, there were tensions in Central Asia throughout the 19th Century- both before and after the Crimean War- as the British influence crept up from India and the Russians expanded south into the same area. It was an ongoing kind of regional cold war referred to as the Great Game, and it wasn't really resolved until the early 20th century. The actual point of conflict was more in Afghanistan than Central Asia, which was firmly in the Russian sphere, but there was certainly a simmering British ambition to drive the Russians from the region.

And considering there was a random guy with a bolt action rifle all the way out in the middle of nowhere, it's probably actually well after the Crimean War.

And as for Islam, nomadic people never took Islam as seriously as city people. On the edges of Islamic civilization, it's not something that would really manifest itself as a daily concern.

Edit:

Bro Dad posted:

Can you put Ravages of Time in the OP? Its basically Chinese Vinland Saga so it should be applicable.
Huh. That looks kind of interesting, but it's a Chinese work about Chinese history- extremely well known Romance of the Three Kingdoms period too. That's kind of the same thing as a Japanese samurai manga, in that works about one's own past doesn't really have the cosmopolitan feel a lot of these others do.

Eiba fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jan 30, 2011

Lyz
May 22, 2007

I AM A GIRL ON WOW GIVE ME ITAMS

Zorak posted:

Want to expand the thread at the very least to be about Otoyomegatari, which is fantastic.

Thank you for this. I loved Emma, if only for the author's skill at portraying all the little interactions characters have between dialogue. Plus the attention to detail is amazing.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I've been re-reading Vinland Saga and Otoyo and god drat but a well-told historical comic is just a fantastic thing. The casts are so great too. Maybe all these authors are cribbing from the same muse but characters like Thorkell and Amira and Eumenes really are just a joy to read about even if they're not actually doing anything but talking.

Crisco Kid
Jan 14, 2008

Where does the wind come from that blows upon your face, that fans the pages of your book?
I can barely handle how beautiful Otoyomegatari is. It's killing me. This manga is awesome, this thread is awesome, and I'm reading Emma next if my heart can take it.

edit: I just realized Otoyomegatari and Emma are both by Kaoru Mori! That's incredible -- you can really see how her skill has developed. Gorgeous. This is a definite purchase if it becomes available in English.

Crisco Kid fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Feb 9, 2011

Robo Pope
Jul 17, 2004

Watch that video Zorak posted. It's amazing, she does all that incredible detail by hand, and it doesn't even seem to take her all that long.

Crisco Kid
Jan 14, 2008

The dumb thing is, I watched the video and was impressed, but I just thought it was a special illustration of some sort. It never occurred to me a drawing that ornate was an accurate portrayal of every page.

Kneel Before Zog
Jan 16, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Wow I must say Vinland Saga has been extremely engrossing for me. The style isn't too ornate but makes you feel like you are there freezing your rear end off with the rest of the Vikings. Thor is like the manly European version of Himura Kenshin. Sucks whats going to happen to him though..

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Actually, his name is Thors. :eng101:

OneMinusOne
Apr 3, 2009

There is no magic beyond truth.

Revelant posted:

This pacifism better be some sort of metaphor. I miss the horse punching.

I don't think you understand just how badass being a pacifist in that era is. That's sort of the point of the story. You must have balls of steel to take a principled stance of non-violence in the face of vikings and not die.

ATP5G1
Jun 22, 2005
Fun Shoe
I thought Chapter 71 was a pretty poignant step in character development. The author absolutely has an idea of the difficulty of what he's asking Thorfinn to do, it's inherent in the symbolism there.

Think about it: Thorfinn is hanging off of a cliff above a giant battlefield . . . The easiest thing to do when you're hanging off a cliff is to let yourself go, especially when you have the weight of the dead you've already killed. That's the cycle of violence: as you commit violence, it becomes easier to commit more violence--as you kill one person, it becomes easier to kill another, as the weight of each death drags you down.

Askeladd points out to Thorfinn there is another choice, but more difficult: to climb out of the pit. But he can't shake off the dead, he has to fully acknowledge and accept the magnitude of his terrible actions, and carry that weight. The visuals of this chapter have been a really elegant metaphor.

We'll see whether Thorfinn will take a Ghandi stance, or a more practical one like his father: violence is used in self-defense, while still trying to avoid the death of one's enemy.

If this arc is unrealistic, it's because it's forced Thorfinn into a level of introspection and self-awareness that most people, whether in the 13th century or the 21st, will never reach.

gst_Spectre
Mar 27, 2010
So I recently started reading Vinland Saga and just got to the part where Thorkell punches a loving horse

:sbahj:

This manga is amazing!

Faude Carfilhiot
Sep 6, 2010

gst_Spectre posted:

So I recently started reading Vinland Saga and just got to the part where Thorkell punches a loving horse

:sbahj:

This manga is amazing!

It's hands down one of the best manga I've ever read. My favorite character is Askeladd, but Thorkell is definitely a close second.

Regarding the latest chapters, I can't be the only who felt immense satisfaction when Einar punched those rear end in a top hat servants, can I? Such a cathartic moment.

I must also say that I think Thorfinn has become a much more interesting character in the recent chapters, his character development has been nothing short of excellent and it will be very interesting to see where Makoto is going with it.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Faude Carfilhiot posted:

Regarding the latest chapters, I can't be the only who felt immense satisfaction when Einar punched those rear end in a top hat servants, can I? Such a cathartic moment.

Oh, definitely. For me, it was a mix of "gently caress YEAH" and "oh god I hope nothing bad happens to them :ohdear:"

Crisco Kid
Jan 14, 2008

Thorfinn spent about 60 chapters being a textbook flat character. It's as if he's been saving up all his development for a rocket-like trajectory after the time skip.

jsun
Jun 23, 2004

I've brought you some cake and wine
Latest chapter of Otoyomegatari is out. http://somemangas.com/manga/Otoyome_gatari/16/

First time a manga has ever made me hungry.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
That manga is so beautiful. Gonna try making that pilaf sometime, it looks pretty simple and good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Oh my god that was worse than reading Toriko.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Mar 3, 2011