Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

allonblack
Dec 9, 2004

Yes, you.

literally just posted:

welp
the plastidip didn't have time to cure all the way when I placed the trim back into the grill recess and it is peeling up. I hope it is easy to pull up so I can re-paint it, unfortunately it's going to rain pretty much all this week so I may have to strategically use some packing tape to keep it looking classy.

It's dead simple to peel off, it comes off generally in a few very convenient pieces. You're going to have to redo it from time to time too. I did my front grill with it on my STI and about 6 months on it needs to be redone. I'm thinking that I may go with paint this time instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003

allonblack posted:

It's dead simple to peel off, it comes off generally in a few very convenient pieces. You're going to have to redo it from time to time too. I did my front grill with it on my STI and about 6 months on it needs to be redone. I'm thinking that I may go with paint this time instead.

Cool, saves me headaches then if it is easy to peel. I knew I'd have to re-spray it from time to time so if you find a product with a similar look but more longevity please post about it.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Remember when I posted a month ago about a noise I kept hearing as the turbo spooled up and wasn't RPM/speed dependent (aka not knock)? Apparently it was caused by the freaking boost controller not being mounted and just banging around the small bay it's supposed to be attached to. :suicide:

Now I gotta find the proper nuts to mount this sucker.

allonblack
Dec 9, 2004

Yes, you.
http://jalopnik.com/#!5772305/this-is-the-subieyota-is-it-awd

Some nice shots of the new Subaru.

P.S. I hate "Subieyota" as a name.

literally just posted:

Cool, saves me headaches then if it is easy to peel. I knew I'd have to re-spray it from time to time so if you find a product with a similar look but more longevity please post about it.

Roger, will do.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I vote for "Subelica."

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
That had better be a liftback and not a trunk you fuckers. :argh:

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?
Suborolla?
Subpra?
Subry?
Subalon?
Impretrix?

Amandyke fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Feb 28, 2011

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
The Toyobaru Legatrix.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

allonblack posted:

http://jalopnik.com/#!5772305/this-is-the-subieyota-is-it-awd

Some nice shots of the new Subaru.

Despite Jalopnik trying to diss the placard at the show, the mockup shows packaging that doesn't rule out possible AWD. From this angle:
http://www.autoguide.com/gallery/gallery.php/?g2_view=largephotos.Largephotos&g2_itemId=338990
it seems like the engine is just barely ahead of the front wheel axis.

I can see the platform being one suitable for Subaru AWD, which maybe is what the placard was saying.

doogle
May 24, 2003

Probably buying a 2003 wrx wagon with around 100k miles. The only owner supposedly has service records and got the oil changed at the dealership. I know it's on its original clutch. Anything I should look out for?

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

doogle posted:

Probably buying a 2003 wrx wagon with around 100k miles. The only owner supposedly has service records and got the oil changed at the dealership. I know it's on its original clutch. Anything I should look out for?

That's a good sign. Really the only *critical* thing for those cars is changing the oil and not dumping the clutch (sound like you're golden).

Buy, then:

Drive belts (if they look bad)
Timing belt (unless done per records)
Change the oil again
Change the coolant
Change the fuel filter (unless done per records)
Change the air filter
Change the plugs (unless done per records)
Change the trans and rear oil (unless done per records)

Make sure the brakes and CVs are all in good shape, and enjoy. I love mine!

dyne
May 9, 2003
[blank]

doogle posted:

You're not looking at one in NY, are you? I'm going to look at one that sounds like that one on Sunday.

infrared35
Jan 13, 2005

Plaster Town Cop
A guy down the road from me is selling a red '96 Impreza Brighton (AWD, 1.8L :razz: ) for $500 OBO. It's got a little rust, but no more than my '99 OBS. The tires are crap, but I have three sets of tires already mounted that I could run on it.

Here's the thing. Despite having learned to drive (a long time ago) on a stick, I have never owned one. For, say, $400, would this be a good way to brush on my stick skills, or would it be the BEST way to brush up on them?

And I know the 1.8 is underpowered. My first Subie was an '89 GL wagon. It would just be an around town car if anything.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

infrared35 posted:

Here's the thing. Despite having learned to drive (a long time ago) on a stick, I have never owned one. For, say, $400, would this be a good way to brush on my stick skills, or would it be the BEST way to brush up on them?

It should be fine. I drove one once, and the clutch/shifter setup was casual and forgiving in the way it is on a Civic.

syphon
Jan 1, 2001

infrared35 posted:

And I know the 1.8 is underpowered. My first Subie was an '89 GL wagon. It would just be an around town car if anything.
That's how I learned to drive stick. I bought a manual Subaru (an '85 GL Wagon) for $500 and learned as I drove it home. I'm not sure why, but I've never driven a manual Subaru that was hard to drive. I've driven lots of other sticks that were a bit tricky to get the feel of the clutch for... but Subarus are always easy. Not sure why.

syphon fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Mar 1, 2011

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I'm a little jealous. That car would still be like $1500 here.

Check to make sure the fuel filler neck isn't rusted through, they put a stupid splash guard there that actually traps the water against the neck. Eventually you get an evap code, even on OBD1. I'm seeing that on most of the Imprezas of that vintage for sale here, and a replacement neck is actually surprisingly expensive.

[chavez]
Dec 21, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Boo
I have an opportunity to pick up an 03 outback (silver) AT with 84k on it for $5000. Co-worker of mine is moving back to the UK and has to sell it. Exterior is in good shape, interior door cards are a bit shredded but not too hard to replace. Any specifics I should be on the watch for, and how does that price sound?

Current owner is a car guy who takes good care of his cars, so I'm not too worried about it being under-maintained.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Ask if the head gaskets have been done yet.

doogle
May 24, 2003

Blaise posted:

That's a good sign. Really the only *critical* thing for those cars is changing the oil and not dumping the clutch (sound like you're golden).

Buy, then:

Drive belts (if they look bad)
Timing belt (unless done per records)
Change the oil again
Change the coolant
Change the fuel filter (unless done per records)
Change the air filter
Change the plugs (unless done per records)
Change the trans and rear oil (unless done per records)

Make sure the brakes and CVs are all in good shape, and enjoy. I love mine!

I saw the car yesterday and noticed a few things:

Paint isn't original (but in original color)
Timing belt hasn't been replaced
Drive belts aren't that bad, but I would probably replace them
Owner says it slightly grinds when downshifting to 1st gear at >10mph

Clutch doesn't slip at all, car runs strong, it has newish hankook v12s on original wheels, and a set of 2 winters old snows on steelies.

I talked him down to $6k, should I still pick it up at this price? I'm sure I can replace the fluids on my own but I've never done a timing belt on any car, just bolt ons on old Mopars and new BMWs. I do have access to a lift if that makes anything easier.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003
The paint scares me... why was it painted?

The timing belt isn't a big deal. I got it done in a few hours.

The 1st gear thing is normal. I've learned to double clutch my 2-1 shifts (yes I'm one of those people - it came in handy during ice racing!!) though, so it hasn't really bothered me.

I paid $6900 for my '02 Wagon with 103k miles, although the timing belt had been done (incorrectly, I had to redo it) last June. $6k is fine as long as the paint is good and not covering anything up.

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

Scientifically proven to be more fuel efficient than hybrids!
Yeah $6k is a good price for what you're getting

NuclearFusi0n
Apr 16, 2003
Uhhhhhmmmmmm

Blaise posted:

The 1st gear thing is normal. I've learned to double clutch my 2-1 shifts (yes I'm one of those people - it came in handy during ice racing!!) though, so it hasn't really bothered me.

Double-clutching into 1st is SOP on the 5MT as far as I know. The synchro on 1st is crap. I bought my car at 170k though, so your mileage may vary.

Begby
Apr 7, 2005

Light saber? Check. Black boots? Check. Codpiece? Check. He's more machine than kid now.
So I just upgraded from a 2005 Outback 2.5i to a loaded 2008 3.0R Outback. Man, the 6 cylinder engine is so so much better, its like silk. Very happy I did this.

It came with than in dash GPS.

I had to go to ABC whore house to get a wire harness for my wife's honda, and it took me to some store that sold hot tubs. I took a look at the GPS version and it has not been updated since 2006.

I looked at kenwood's site, and the DVD upgrade is around $250. It would be less expensive for me to buy a tom tom and glue it over the existing GPS. It would be higher resolution as well and probably work better too.

So before I go that route, is there a way I can replace the lovely one that is built into the dash and still have it look good? I really like how its integrated and all.

Also, I can attest to the fact that buying an factory GPS is a real waste of money. I feel sorry for the poor soul that bought this car new. It has some other features, like being able to do mileage stuff, but its really gimmicky. It seems like fluff without much depth or usefulness. The only feature I really appreciated was being able to set my wiper de-icers to not turn off automatically, but they still shut off by themselves after 15 minutes :(

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I just want to go ahead and pimp Import Image Racing again.

After some back and forth emails they beat Rock Auto out the door on front pads, rear pads, and four new rotors for my 02 WRX wagon. All centric/Stop-tech.

Thanks Jason!

doogle
May 24, 2003

Blaise posted:

The paint scares me... why was it painted?

The timing belt isn't a big deal. I got it done in a few hours.

I paid $6900 for my '02 Wagon with 103k miles, although the timing belt had been done (incorrectly, I had to redo it) last June. $6k is fine as long as the paint is good and not covering anything up.

I found a second wagon ('03) that I like a little bit better, he wants $6700 with the timing belt/water pump/seals replaced or $6k without that stuff done. It has ~120k miles, new clutch at 110k (replaced original) and 5k mile old bridgestone re-050(? I think that is what he said on the phone, I'm pretty sure my 135i had those stock as runflats though) tires. The paint is original and in pretty good condition, the front end is sandblasted though as he drives it ~50 miles a day on the freeway.

Begby
Apr 7, 2005

Light saber? Check. Black boots? Check. Codpiece? Check. He's more machine than kid now.
Well, looks like I can replace the GPS computer with a used KNA-G510 GPS unit, then jury rig a little speaker to get voice directions. The G510 has free updates with an SD card, gets XM traffic updates, is made by garmin, and is supposedly up to date.

Looks like the G510 is less expensive than the in dash GPS updated DVD kit.

The Jabberwocky
May 31, 2006

At least it worked.
So I think I've pretty much read the whole thread to this point, and I think I want an STi more than I ever have. That said, I really favor the older look over the new redesign. Is the 2006 my best bet since it's the first with the 2.5 and my preferred body style?

Totally different question: I currently have an 03 Legacy L wagon that is in pretty good shape (done all of the maintenance, etc.) but it needs to last me another few years, since my wife's car needs replacing more than I need my STi (dammit.) What precautions should I be taking to make sure my car keeps ticking through to 200k+? Right now I'm using standard oil and checking fluids/belts like crazy, but I haven't ever had a car this long and want to make sure I don't miss something that's obvious to other, more saavy owners.

SpellEdge
Sep 14, 2007
Atk:13 Add: Don't Act

quick air filter question. my wrx has a k&n panel filter but after hearing all of the "it allows more crap in talk" i've been thinking about switching back to the oem filter. is this a good idea? or are there other good options?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

SpellEdge posted:

quick air filter question. my wrx has a k&n panel filter but after hearing all of the "it allows more crap in talk" i've been thinking about switching back to the oem filter. is this a good idea? or are there other good options?
My problem with the K&N filter would probably start with the oil polluting the MAF. I'd just replace it with the OEM filter.

The Jabberwocky posted:

So I think I've pretty much read the whole thread to this point, and I think I want an STi more than I ever have. That said, I really favor the older look over the new redesign. Is the 2006 my best bet since it's the first with the 2.5 and my preferred body style?
All North American STIs have the 2.5L, not just 06+. In my opinion, however, the 06 is the best of the GDs.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
cosworth has a pretty nice dry synthetic fabric filter. they're like 42 or something. otherwise just go to pep-boys and get a purolator etc. You've pretty much got to pour the K&N filter oil directly on the maf sensor to gently caress it up though.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Seat Safety Switch posted:

All North American STIs have the 2.5L, not just 06+. In my opinion, however, the 06 is the best of the GDs.

Definalty and frankly better than the next generation too.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Jamal, I replaced my valve cover gaskets a year ago, but not the cover bolt washers.

Where can I get the washers, and can I just do the bolts one at a time and not need to replace my reasonably fresh gasket?

bung
Dec 14, 2004

I need a Subaru dealer recommendation. I'll be moving to the Greenville SC in two weeks and I see that there are two dealers in the area, Fairway Subaru and Vic Bailey Subaru. Any recommendation on which to use?

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003
and round 2, in addition to not adjusting for curing time due to temperature the stuff I used to clean the chrome off was oil based. Oops, should have read ingredients.

If it doesn't stick this time, I am just going to sharpie it :okpos:

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

toplitzin posted:

Jamal, I replaced my valve cover gaskets a year ago, but not the cover bolt washers.

Where can I get the washers, and can I just do the bolts one at a time and not need to replace my reasonably fresh gasket?

yes. 13271AA071

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

literally just posted:

and round 2, in addition to not adjusting for curing time due to temperature the stuff I used to clean the chrome off was oil based. Oops, should have read ingredients.

If it doesn't stick this time, I am just going to sharpie it :okpos:

How's the GT handle?? I test drove a six speed premium the other day... I liked the car a lot but goodness did it feel like it lacked balls.

I wanted to go with new, but I'm considering tracking down a CPO Legacy GT if I can. I'm too old for a flat out sports car but i want something that has balls if I feel like having fun.

I saw you mentioned on the other page that the previous generation ( '10 was the remake year, right?) has issues with turbos. Is this not a good idea??

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

THE MACHO MAN posted:

I'm too old for a flat out sports car

Since when is there a too old for a sports car?

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?
Isn't it usually that the older you get the better of a sports car you can afford?

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

Amandyke posted:

Isn't it usually that the older you get the better of a sports car you can afford?

This is pretty much the only reason to keep living past 35. You may gain weight and lose some hair, but at least you can afford a 'Vette.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

oRenj9 posted:

This is pretty much the only reason to keep living past 35. You may gain weight and lose some hair, but at least you can afford a 'Vette.

You don't lose any hair. It just migrates. :pwn: