Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Flatscan posted:

It's most likely a similar situation to my area, with a load of nimbys blocking the planning permission needed to dig up the roads in order to run fibre.

Although Dundee might be the scabby cock-filled arsehole of Scotland, at least it had fibre-optic. :smith:

le chat posted:

Oh yeah, we are in the same situation. Not being able to have cable is the norm for me so I forget it's not the same coutrywide(and that there is any way to change it) . But the situation with my current connection is not as bad as yours. We are barely able to get 2mb here but at least it's somewhat consistent. No idea what the situation is with BT in the area though, Sky is our only option for subscription TV aswell which is another issue.

I occasionally check samknows hoping yo see BT is going to try and modernise the areas infrastructure only to see some vague future plans.

And that's the problem with monopolies. If they have no incentive to upgrade, then they won't. I'm also willing to bet i'm maybe one of a handful of people in my entire estate who knows what better connections are available throughout the country. So everyone here thinks that a tempermental 3Mb ADSL line is the current high speed standard when it's actually half of the national average. :suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daedo
May 5, 2002

Kin posted:

Would it surprise you to know that certain parts of Falkirk still don't have virgin/blueyonder/telewest/cable.

gently caress, i hate this place.

I however, do have Virgin. Just don't have a working card for the digibox, since the new one they were supposed to send out never turned up. Wasn't too bothered tho because I have Freeview built into my TV and most TV is absolute trash anyways.

And I have absolutely no trouble with streaming/downloading/playing PSN. course, I'm moving through to Alloa in a few months, and I expect things to take a very sharp down turn... :/

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Daedo posted:

I however, do have Virgin. Just don't have a working card for the digibox, since the new one they were supposed to send out never turned up. Wasn't too bothered tho because I have Freeview built into my TV and most TV is absolute trash anyways.

And I have absolutely no trouble with streaming/downloading/playing PSN. course, I'm moving through to Alloa in a few months, and I expect things to take a very sharp down turn... :/

Oh don't get me wrong, there are parts of Falkirk fine and dandy with the current technological merriment, it just that there are some pockets that aren't and it's the inconsistancy that bugs me the most.

My folks used to live just 2 miles from where they do now, literally one straight road from there to here. The last place was in an estate nestled on the edges of a bunch of farms and fields and is fully cabled up, the present place isn't but it's full of recently built homes (constructed over the last 10 years); right next to a business retail park and is pretty close to central Larbert. :smith:

Commiserations on moving to Alloa though, i cant think of a single distinguishable thing i've ever heard about the place.

You know what? That's what i'd love to see on BBC Scotland. None of this rubbish about Robert Burns that everyone already knows, but an A-Z tour of Scotland hosted by Billy Connoly or someone else enjoyable to watch.

Rather than like his last tour of Scotland that involved visiting historic places, he would visit everywhere in alphabetical order. In each area, he'd try and find a good place to eat and drink, a good place for entertainment and a good place for local culture or whatever. Throw in a wee bit of history for each place and you're golden. If there's somewhere that's utterly banal like Alloa or Dundee, then he can rip the piss out of it.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
Are there any towns in Scotland that you don't think of as a complete poo poo hole?

Leyburn fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Mar 2, 2011

Daedo
May 5, 2002
Well Tam Cowan did give an Italian restaurant in Alloa 23/25 in his restaurant review a couple of weeks ago, so... yey?

I lived in Alloa for most of my life, so going back there shouldn't be too much of a downer. Bar the lack of cable anywhere apparently.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Has anyone else been watching Royal Navy Caribbean Patrol?

I have three observations:
1. How are you meant to instil fear and dread in the enemy when your uniform makes it look like you've fallen through a worm-hole from Wimbledon in the 70s?
2. Employing a slightly giggly 20-something women as an Able Seamen doesn't instil fear and dread.
3. If I ever have the US Coast Guard boarding my ship and pointing guns at me, can I have her do it?

Pablo Bluth fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Mar 2, 2011

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Watching that Dream School thing, and a song I like came on while they were on the ocean on a boat, and I thought "Oh, I like that song, that's nice." Then I connected the dots and realised why they'd chosen "God Moving Over the Face of the Waters." Goddamnit, TV, stop playing songs that have to have lyrics or titles literally connected to the action on the screen.

Relatedly, I decided to finally get round to watching Being Human with the wife the other day, and in the pilot episode that happens like four times. We had "Friendly Ghost" when whatsherface ghostie was dolling herself up, and "When the Sun Goes Down" when werewolf guy was running around trying to find somewhere to go when the full moon hit, and I'm sure there were others I can't place right now.

Does this continue? Is that some sort of mandated thing for BBC3 programs? I remember someone in the thread talking about it with something else recently.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Kin posted:

Things i presently cannot do:
Watch youtube live (i have to leave the page open for a while in order for it to download the video);
Watch iplayer competently (it will stutter on low resolution);
Play anything on xbox live/PSN/steam without some kind of lag;
Use skype;
Use zune video or whatever other streaming movie services there are;
Play any of my steam games without waiting a day for them to download;
...and so on and so forth.

Oh and bugger me if i ever want to be efficient and do some of those things at the same time.

Snap! My ISP swore up and down that my postcode could get 4Mb until they actually tried it and discovered a more realistic speed is 0.5Mb - some of my neighbours are still on dial-up. They have recently started charging everyone more for broadband because of our "up 10Mb" speeds we're meant to be getting. I suppose they're technically right. It makes me so cross when the pro-library-closure crowd claim everyone has the internet.

Back to TV: this Jamie's Dream School is an absolute train-wreck. This is why teachers are trained, because knowing a lot just isn't enough! And these aren't even the worst children. The really terrible ones won't have been selected for this programme. It'd be interesting to see if they can recall a single thing the experts have said, because this episode is just one giant shouting match.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Daedo posted:

Well Tam Cowan did give an Italian restaurant in Alloa 23/25 in his restaurant review a couple of weeks ago, so... yey?

Doesn't Tam Cowan give everywhere at least 21/25? Every time I see one of his reviews it's bizarrely positive. I'm more used to the evil Guardian restaurant critic, who can make an aspiring chef cry from 1000 miles away. (I seem to recall he gave one place 0.25/10 once, which is even crueller than giving it a plain old zero)

But hey! Charlie Brooker is now on BBC2 Scotland, for all the poor wee souls with crap tellybox providers.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Leyburn posted:

Are there any towns in Scotland that you don't think of as a complete poo poo hole?

Stirling's not bad, but that's not technically a town anymore.

Comfy Chairs
May 21, 2005

by Ralp
Yikes, I hadn't realised the broadband situation in mainland UK (or maybe only Scotland) was so dire. Here in Northern Ireland just about anyone can get a 20-50Mbps connection (actual speed, not just advertised speed) thanks to large-scale infrastructure investment heavily subsidised by the government. Thanks, English taxpayers!

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
For sale; One 24hr news channel obsessed with 'swoosh' noises & presenters with complexions that resemble Chesterfield sofas. http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/robertpeston/2011/03/murdochs_offer_to_sell_sky_new.html

Pesto posted:

Murdoch's offer to sell Sky News

News Corporation has offered to sell Sky News and also subsidise the channel for years, to allay concerns about News Corp's planned takeover of all of British Sky Broadcasting.

As a result News Corp is likely to get the green light for the takeover from Jeremy Hunt, the Culture Secretary, possibly as soon as tomorrow. One of Jeremy Hunt's close colleagues insisted he has not yet made the formal decision to approve News Corp's Ł7.5bn bid to buy the 61% of BSkyB it doesn't already own, but didn't rule out that Mr Hunt could do so within hours.

If Mr Hunt allows the bid to proceed, which is what I expect, some will see that as a u-turn, because on 25 January he said he was intending to follow the advice of the media regulator, Ofcom, and refer the planned takeover to the Competition Commission for further scrutiny. Since then, however, Rupert Murdoch's News Corp has made a proposal designed to remedy the harm identified by Ofcom from the deal.

Ofcom was concerned that the combination of News Corp's market-leading newspapers with BSkyB's 24-hour rolling news channel, Sky News, would reduce plurality or choice of news for citizens.

So in what News Corp sees as a significant concession and sacrifice, it has offered to sell Sky News. And because Sky News is lossmaking - to the tune of more than Ł20m a year according to sources - it has also offered to in effect cover the costs of Sky News for many years through a long-term contract. Bankers tell me that with such a long term contract in place from BSkyB, Sky News is capable of being sold. In making his announcement, Mr Hunt would initiate a 15 day period of public consultation.

Critics of the takeover, which include news organisations such as the Telegraph Group and DMGT, owner of the Daily Mail, would complain that News Corporation will become far too powerful a player in the UK media market, if it is able to combine its newspapers (which include the Sun, Times and Sunday Times) with BSkyB's huge, cash-generating broadcasting business. These opponents of the deal have a problem however, in that their arguments are largely about the impact on competition, not plurality or choice, and the European Commission has already ruled that the combination of Sky and News Corp would not have an adverse impact on competition.

That said, the decision by Mr Hunt to allow the takeover to proceed does not mean the deal will definitely go through - because it is not certain that News Corporation will offer a high enough price to persuade the independent directors of BSkyB to recommend the offer or to persuade shareholders in BSkyB to sell.

Last June, News Corp said it would pay 700p for each BSkyB share, valuing the 61% of the business it doesn't own at Ł7.5bn. That was rejected by BSkyB's directors, who said that they wanted more than 800p per share, or around Ł1bn more in total. BSkyB's operations have performed well since then, so it is widely thought in the City that BSkyB's independent directors will now be demanding nearer 850p per share.

It is by no means certain that News Corp - whose BSkyB ambitions are being run by James Murdoch, who runs News Corp's European and Asian operations - will offer as much as that.

UPDATE 21:40

If, as the FT reports, what has been proposed by News Corp is a demerger of Sky News to BSkyB's existing shareholders, which include News Corp with 39 per cent, that represents the sale by News Corp of 61 per cent (a majority) of Sky News (on the assumption that News Corp ends up owning all of BSkyB, which is by no means certain).

UPDATE 22:00

The idea of demerging Sky News to BSkyB's existing shareholders is a neat regulatory fix, because in theory that can be seen as representing no change in the relationship between News Corp and Sky News.

enginedriver
Jul 16, 2010
So is anyone watching Limmy's Show? I thought series 1 was amazing but series 2 is totally hilarious so far.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

For sale; One 24hr news channel obsessed with 'swoosh' noises & presenters with complexions that resemble Chesterfield sofas. http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/robertpeston/2011/03/murdochs_offer_to_sell_sky_new.html

It's been approved today:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-12631875

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Metrication posted:

It's been approved today:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-12631875
Ugh, gently caress sake.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!
Goddamnit Vince Cable you retard, why couldn't you have kept your mouth shut :argh:

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

The Supreme Court posted:

Goddamnit Vince Cable you retard, why couldn't you have kept your mouth shut :argh:

The telegraph shot themselves in the foot here. They were opposed to the Murdoch takeover but decided to publish something that would affect their cause.

delicious beef
Feb 5, 2006

:allears::allears::allears::allears::allears::allears:

Metrication posted:

The telegraph shot themselves in the foot here. They were opposed to the Murdoch takeover but decided to publish something that would affect their cause.

They didn't publish the stuff about this (obviously), someone leaked it to Robert Peston iirc

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

delicious beef posted:

They didn't publish the stuff about this (obviously), someone leaked it to Robert Peston iirc

Really? Oh.

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

I don't much care for the attitude of filthy money-lenders

Monster w21 Faces posted:

Everyone needs to watch Bob's Burgers on 4od btw.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3379901&pagenumber=1

I would watch it, but all the people on the first page of that thread, who haven't watched it, have decided it's poo poo.

grim`
May 6, 2004

there's no lies to the game of eyes

enginedriver posted:

So is anyone watching Limmy's Show? I thought series 1 was amazing but series 2 is totally hilarious so far.

It is awesome, I went and downloaded all his podcasts and they are also hilarious.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
I love NewsCorp's dodge. They haven't really gotten rid of Sky News at all. It is, at best, a nice fiddle to appease everybody.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

quote:

UPDATE 21:40

If, as the FT reports, what has been proposed by News Corp is a demerger of Sky News to BSkyB's existing shareholders, which include News Corp with 39 per cent, that represents the sale by News Corp of 61 per cent (a majority) of Sky News (on the assumption that News Corp ends up owning all of BSkyB, which is by no means certain).

UPDATE 22:00

The idea of demerging Sky News to BSkyB's existing shareholders is a neat regulatory fix, because in theory that can be seen as representing no change in the relationship between News Corp and Sky News.

So am i right in thinking that they've essentially sold Sky News to themselves and it's all one giant con?

delicious beef
Feb 5, 2006

Kin posted:

So am i right in thinking that they've essentially sold Sky News to themselves and it's all one giant con?

Not quite. Currently Newscorp own 39% of BSkyB, including Sky News. They're going to buy the remaining 61% of BSkyB, except for Sky News, which will be demerged from BSkyB, and become its own separate company, with whoever owns BSkyB now owning the other 61%, unless they sell it.

Padje posted:

I would watch it, but all the people on the first page of that thread, who haven't watched it, have decided it's poo poo.

That thread is a train wreck. I can't believe people are pro-American Dad, it's one of the worst US imports I've ever seen.

Caught some Bob's Burgers during the post-news pre-bed drudgery, thought it was quite funny.

Currently watching Modern Toss on 4OD, find it quite funny. Lots of small sketches which works really well, especially as they're all pretty odd.

delicious beef fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Mar 3, 2011

le chat
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl
time to feel even more guilty about owning sky despite having no real alternative

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Someone who hates Murdoch needs to buy the rest of Sky News and devote it to reporting on every poo poo thing his newspapers do.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009
What the hell is going on in Hollyoaks? I saw a snippet the other night and saw that Gilly was meant to have raped someone, googled it to see who and found out they're going to do a live jury to decide. That just seems wrong.

We're up in the west coast of scotland and get okay internet coverage. I think there was a government grant to sort it in rural areas because of social exclusion and the like.

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

I don't much care for the attitude of filthy money-lenders

goatface posted:

Someone who hates Murdoch needs to buy the rest of Sky News and devote it to reporting on every poo poo thing his newspapers do.

I say we all go big society on it and buy it all together, to at least prevent anyone else having it.

Are their rules about how many news channels are allowed to exist?

delicious beef
Feb 5, 2006

Padje posted:

I say we all go big society on it and buy it all together, to at least prevent anyone else having it.

Are their rules about how many news channels are allowed to exist?

No, if you meet the broadcasting rules and have the cash you could set one up today. They hemorrhage money like nobody's business though.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Is Sky News is profitable?

delicious beef
Feb 5, 2006

What do people think of Silk?

Metrication posted:

Is Sky News is profitable?

I'm not at work so I can't get the accounts but I'm 99.9% certain it loses money, it's basically been subsidised as part of Murdoch's war on the BBC of recent years.

TheVertigoOfBliss
Jan 29, 2007

Daedo posted:

I lived in Alloa for most of my life, so going back there shouldn't be too much of a downer. Bar the lack of cable anywhere apparently.

Tam Cowan is an absolute mouth breather but the single most ridiculous thing about his restaurant reviews is that he gives equal weighting to the quality of food as he does to the state of the lavvies.

Oh, and no matter what restaurant he's in he only seems to eat fish and chips.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

delicious beef posted:

Not quite. Currently Newscorp own 39% of BSkyB, including Sky News. They're going to buy the remaining 61% of BSkyB, except for Sky News, which will be demerged from BSkyB, and become its own separate company, with whoever owns BSkyB now owning the other 61%, unless they sell it.

But then Murdoch is still going to own 39% of sky news and pay for the running of sky news for the considerable future? So if the shareholders of BSkyB and their 69% shareholdings of sky news do nothing different or don't sell it off to anyone else then absolutley nothing will change?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Padje posted:

Ignore those Goony cunts, it actually is quite good. It is actually pretty good once you get into it and doesn't do the whole 'father is a idiot/cut away pop culture gags' they find hilarious.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Kin posted:

But then Murdoch is still going to own 39% of sky news and pay for the running of sky news for the considerable future? So if the shareholders of BSkyB and their 69% shareholdings of sky news do nothing different or don't sell it off to anyone else then absolutley nothing will change?

Just give it 6 months. Murdoch will launch a new news station, because the market is varied enough to support it. Sky News will collapse without the income it previously got from the rest of BSkyB, when it folds the "names" will migrate to the new channel and we'll be back to cunts being cunts. It will show that "the market wants news backed up by the BSkyB brand" and the Tories will shrug, do nothing and get a bit of a donation next election.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
I don't think Sky News is a bad news channel at all *shurgs*.

Leyburn fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Mar 3, 2011

delicious beef
Feb 5, 2006

Kin posted:

Except the 69% probably will sell it because it's been funded by Murdoch for ages and they've got no reason to hold on to a loss-making news broadcaster on it's own (when it was an important part of Sky as a group for other reasons), anyone could buy that share, which would make them majority owners (and possibly force Murdoch into selling his remaining shares, depending on what legal form the business takes).

Basically the fact that the're selling off Sky News is important because if they didn't it would give Murdoch a distorting influence on the news market (rather than disproportionate impact as a broadcaster), because Sky News supposedly competes with The Times, The Sun, etc. Under the new arrangement Murdoch won't control Sky News.

Of course, there's nothing to stop him setting up a new news channel on sky (this would be organic growth), or even stopping to broadcast the likes of BBC on sky if he wants.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Leyburn posted:

I don't think Sky News is a bad new channel at all *shurgs*.

Kay Burley to the wide of a serial murderer posted:

Do you think that maybe if you'd had a better sex life, he wouldn't have killed all those women?

It's indefensible.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

Strom Cuzewon posted:

It's indefensible.

Hardly sullies the whole channel though does it. You see more good investigative stuff on Sky than you do on BBC24.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004

Leyburn posted:

Lerwick is very nice. Great roads some great cafés and resturants, almost no neds, a bit on the industrial side but the 23hours of daylight in the summer make up for that.