Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
That doesn't make either guy look good.

My favourite HHH story was about where a bunch of wrestlers were at an airport. Mike Sanders was being used as a colour guy in HWA and there was talk of bringing him up to the WWE. He was shaking everyones hand and didn't see Triple H, who was sitting down with a leg injury. He got up, walked over to Sanders with his crutches and shook Sanders hand. When Trips sat back down, Raven leaned into Sanders and told him that was a kiss of death for him. A few weeks later, Sanders was released.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Wojtek posted:

Face Miz who still is crafty and cheats to win would be great. Super Miz would be poo poo.

The way they had him in the tag team match could work.

Sugar Blaster
Dec 15, 2004

All ears, all eyes, all the time!

Lone Rogue posted:

RVD seems like another one of those guys where he really doesn't care about petty nonsense because he'd rather do what he wants and only wrestles because he wants to and not because he has to. I kinda admire that attitude in a business where dudes cling desperately to their positions long after they've peaked out of fear/money/self-preservation.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

RVD is a sloppy egotist with a drug problem, in 2003 or any other time.

This has to be a joke. There is a huge difference between being a pot smoker and being somebody like....Jeff Hardy. Or Road Dogg, X-Pac, or Scott Hall.

Seriously?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Wojtek posted:

That...just makes RVD look like a chump.

:smug: I was smoking weed while you were working, idiot :smug:

Yeah if anything that reminds me of Steiner's :smug: story about steroid testing.

Steiner: They were worried I was doing steroids because of that giant blinking neon sign I'd purchased to be carried around behind me saying,"I'M DOING loving STEROIDS!" so they said I had to take a steroid test, I told them I'd take one if Triple H took one with me heh guess I showed those assholes!
takes more steroids.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

Lone Rogue posted:

My favourite HHH story was about where a bunch of wrestlers were at an airport. Mike Sanders was being used as a colour guy in HWA and there was talk of bringing him up to the WWE. He was shaking everyones hand and didn't see Triple H, who was sitting down with a leg injury. He got up, walked over to Sanders with his crutches and shook Sanders hand. When Trips sat back down, Raven leaned into Sanders and told him that was a kiss of death for him. A few weeks later, Sanders was released.
Wiki says differently:

Wiki posted:

With no plans to bring him up to the main roster due to an incident where Triple H introduced himself backstage and Sanders failed to respond with the proper etiquette, Sanders was released by the WWE on July 19, 2002, along with Jason Jett, Race Steele, Steve Bradley and Jason Sugarman.

Still a weird situation though.

warbrides
May 11, 2009

Any reason why Wrestlemania 16 wasn't held in a bigger venue? I'm guessing the general public was just as into WWF as it was then compared to when Wrestlemania 17 came around.

19,776 attendane at 16 vs 67,925 at 17 is quite the difference when it comes to ticket revenue.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

warbrides posted:

Any reason why Wrestlemania 16 wasn't held in a bigger venue? I'm guessing the general public was just as into WWF as it was then compared to when Wrestlemania 17 came around.

19,776 attendane at 16 vs 67,925 at 17 is quite the difference when it comes to ticket revenue.

They were holding Wrestlemania in arenas in the late 90s and didn't decide they could run a Stadium until later on. Remember, in the early 90s they failed to sell enough seats to run the LA Coliseum, and had to heavily paper in Indy the next year before going back to arena sized venues. Wrestlemania was not as entrenched as it is today either. When they chose the WM 2000 venue they weren't even a full year past pulling ahead in the ratings war either so it would be a bigger risk at that point vs when it actually happened in 2000.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Few pages back but:

Mr. Carlisle posted:

I bet at the time Triple H thought that his entrance was gonna go down in history as the most badass entrance to an event ever.

Speaking of 'at the time' for those of you that have been around for a while what was the reaction to this entrance at the time? Were people marking out and praising the King Of Kings Paul The Barbarian?

I remember the thread's reactions was a mixture of :aaa: + :laffo: + :pwn:

Also WM2000's choice of venue problem wasn't the size of the venue, but rather choosing the Arrowhead Pond/Honda Center/Whatever it is, because it always has terrible, dead as poo poo crowds.

Nut Bunnies fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Mar 3, 2011

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Jack Krauser posted:

Wiki says differently:

Still a weird situation though.

I always recalled it being in an airport and Raven informing Sanders to be ready for a release.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah if anything that reminds me of Steiner's :smug: story about steroid testing.

Steiner: They were worried I was doing steroids because of that giant blinking neon sign I'd purchased to be carried around behind me saying,"I'M DOING loving STEROIDS!" so they said I had to take a steroid test, I told them I'd take one if Triple H took one with me heh guess I showed those assholes!
takes more steroids.

How dare Steiner suggest that Triple H may also do drugs?

Dude, I don't get what you're saying here. Steiner was pointing out the double standard, not claiming he wasn't on 'roids. And if you think Triple H wasn't doing SOMETHING in '02, then you may need to see an optometrist.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

From memory, Steiner (at the time at least) was strenuously denying he did any roids and that his grossly overinflated steroid-pulsing muscles were purely natural. That story is one I've heard where he seems to be operating on this bizarre muddled line where he is simultaneously proud of getting away with all the steroids he is on/thinks he has made some masterful Machiavellian play that has left his opponents utterly flummoxed/seems to believe he ISN'T on steroids but other people (like Triple H) are and the tests will prove him right and leave everybody gaping in wonder.

I'm sure what actually happened is that somebody made that call, he made that demand and the reaction by WWE was,"Oh gently caress it, let's run out his contract and just get rid of the guy he's more trouble than he's worth."

Edit: For clarity, my story has NOTHING to do with Triple H and doing drugs, AT ALL. I absolutely believe he was bathing in roids at the time (Steiner was swimming in a pool made of them inside a house made out of steroids), but that isn't what this is about at all. I'm not talking about a double standard, I'm talking about Steiner believing that pointing it out was somehow going to force them to allow him to get away with crap too, like a high school student who points out a teacher smoked weed at home so he should be allowed to blaze up in Home Room so suck it up, teach, you can't do poo poo about it! :smug:

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Mar 3, 2011

UndergroundHero
Feb 1, 2005

Throw reason right out the fuckin' window.

Mr. Carlisle posted:

I bet at the time Triple H thought that his entrance was gonna go down in history as the most badass entrance to an event ever.

Speaking of 'at the time' for those of you that have been around for a while what was the reaction to this entrance at the time? Were people marking out and praising the King Of Kings Paul The Barbarian?

I was there live and the reaction at first was confusion as we tried to figure out what was going on. Then when people found out it was Triple H it was a pretty good pop.

I'll always remember some guy yelling "WHAT THE gently caress!? WHO BOOKED CONAN!?"

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Gaz-L posted:

How dare Steiner suggest that Triple H may also do drugs?

Dude, I don't get what you're saying here. Steiner was pointing out the double standard, not claiming he wasn't on 'roids. And if you think Triple H wasn't doing SOMETHING in '02, then you may need to see an optometrist.

Pretty much. It would be different if RVD said, "I was out doing dope while you were juicing against rules."

Instead, it's Steiner pointing out a clear double standard in the WWE when it comes to Triple H. That same double standard could be used about Vince.

The Steiner story reminds me more of Vince saying he had to continue Over the Edge after Owen Hart died and Bret asking him if he'd have continued if Shane McMahon been the one who fell.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

From memory, Steiner (at the time at least) was strenuously denying he did any roids and that his grossly overinflated steroid-pulsing muscles were purely natural. That story is one I've heard where he seems to be operating on this bizarre muddled line where he is simultaneously proud of getting away with all the steroids he is on/thinks he has made some masterful Machiavellian play that has left his opponents utterly flummoxed/seems to believe he ISN'T on steroids but other people (like Triple H) are and the tests will prove him right and leave everybody gaping in wonder.

I'm sure what actually happened is that somebody made that call, he made that demand and the reaction by WWE was,"Oh gently caress it, let's run out his contract and just get rid of the guy he's more trouble than he's worth."

Edit: For clarity, my story has NOTHING to do with Triple H and doing drugs, AT ALL. I absolutely believe he was bathing in roids at the time (Steiner was swimming in a pool made of them inside a house made out of steroids), but that isn't what this is about at all. I'm not talking about a double standard, I'm talking about Steiner believing that pointing it out was somehow going to force them to allow him to get away with crap too, like a high school student who points out a teacher smoked weed at home so he should be allowed to blaze up in Home Room so suck it up, teach, you can't do poo poo about it! :smug:
WWE suspects Steiner does steroids because of his look. Steiner and many fans believe Triple H does steroids because of HIS look. Steiner is asked to submit to a drug test. He says he will, if Triple H will submit to the same test and abides by the same ruling. WWE refuses to test either man.

I'm not seeing how Steiner is the jerk here. He's a jerk for a lot of other reasons, sure, and is an idiot and probably has more HGH than red blood cells at the moment. And he certainly hasn't been shy or demure about this incident. Doesn't make him wrong.

He called their bluff. If they test Steiner alone, they can fire him for drug violation. If they test both guys, and they both come back positive, they either let both guys off, which negates the point. They let Hunter off, explicitly showing the double standard, which looks bad. Or they fire both guys, which they don't want.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yes but I honestly don't believe that Steiner's intention was to point out a double standard, I genuinely believe it was to go,"Nah nah nah I'm doing steroids and you can't do anything about it!" and that he was then proud that he got to get away with continuing to do steroids. That's what I find funny, that he brought up the story for (what I believe to be) the purpose of showing how he was doing steroids and nobody could do anything about it. The double-standard he exposes is an unrelated factor.

Either that or that he is so genuinely crazy that he really thought he wasn't doing steroids (or HGH or whatever).

Triple-Kan
Dec 29, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

Either that or that he is so genuinely crazy that he really thought he wasn't doing steroids (or HGH or whatever).

"THERE'S A 114 1/4% CHANCE SOMEONE ELSE PUT THIS NEEDLE IN MY rear end CHEEK!"

Sugar Blaster
Dec 15, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

Yes but I honestly don't believe that Steiner's intention was to point out a double standard, I genuinely believe it was to go,"Nah nah nah I'm doing steroids and you can't do anything about it!" and that he was then proud that he got to get away with continuing to do steroids. That's what I find funny, that he brought up the story for (what I believe to be) the purpose of showing how he was doing steroids and nobody could do anything about it. The double-standard he exposes is an unrelated factor.
Steiner isn't an idiot. He knew exactly what he was doing and what the reaction would be, which is exactly why he chose Hunter as his contemporary. The story to me sounds more like "I absolutely use steroids, but the testing is a joke and there won't be any consequence to me not taking it since I know you're letting someone else off scot-free already. So if you want to test me, you're gonna have to do the same for him as well. Your move, boys." It's not the same as a student/teacher at all because they were both actively competing wrestlers. One had more clout within the company, yeah, but that's more like the class suckup getting a passing grade without taking the final, knowing about it and demanding to either receive one yourself or to have both of you fail together.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Were there ever any reports that before the aneurysm, Steamboat was supposed to have Bret's spot in the Nexus 7 on 7? He was also a legend with a bone to pick with Nexus, and could work infinitely better. And you a good chance to put over the unity of team WWE by having Chris Jericho rescue Steamboat.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Well I guess we just took different things away from it, then.

However in regards to Steiner not being an idiot.... he DID do this to himself!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
I heard Primo's theme song is really funny. Does anyone have a translation?

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

Well I guess we just took different things away from it, then.

However in regards to Steiner not being an idiot.... he DID do this to himself!

I like the strategic use of tattoos and chain mail to disguise his caved in chest. I really like Scott Steiner as a personality but how anyone can look like that and think they look good is beyond me.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

89 posted:

This has to be a joke. There is a huge difference between being a pot smoker and being somebody like....Jeff Hardy. Or Road Dogg, X-Pac, or Scott Hall.

Seriously?

Marijuana isn't a hard drug and WWE doesn't even outright fire people over it, but if you get busted for speeding with a car full of dope and basically your reputation is "dope guy" you have a drug problem.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JEwix2mYuU&feature=player_detailpage#t=3m35s

is this vince russo

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

rarely goes out and should never be approached

No. Vince Russo is a person, not a video game.

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009
So I listened to a Shelton Benjamin interview the other day and by the sounds of it he was a really prominent part of WWE as a mid carder during the time I wasn't watching.

Keeping in mind that my Shelton Benjamin experience is limited to the ladder match he had with Christian at TLC and MitB earlier that year can someone please recommend some of his better matches from any promotion?

There also seemed to be a lot of buzz about his role in 'The World's Greatest Tag Team' particularly their matches with the King's of Wrestling who I've never seen wrestle either, is there a stand out match between the two teams?

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006

Sue Denim posted:

Keeping in mind that my Shelton Benjamin experience is limited to the ladder match he had with Christian at TLC and MitB earlier that year can someone please recommend some of his better matches from any promotion?

There also seemed to be a lot of buzz about his role in 'The World's Greatest Tag Team' particularly their matches with the King's of Wrestling who I've never seen wrestle either, is there a stand out match between the two teams?

You want to watch every MitB that Shelton was in (21, 22, 24, 25, 26) plus any instance in which he has a ladder.

I can't speak for the World's Greatest Tag Team outside of WWE, but they put on some really great matches in 03-04 as WGTT and before that as Team Angle.

There was a really good handicap tag at No Way Out 03 with them and Angle vs. Brock Lesnar and Benoit.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg

Sue Denim posted:

So I listened to a Shelton Benjamin interview the other day and by the sounds of it he was a really prominent part of WWE as a mid carder during the time I wasn't watching.

Probably Shelton's best singles match in the WWE was his match with HBK during the Gold Rush tournament in '05.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaumcOlCanA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3gg3osK0lU

Shelton was also one of the feature staples on Money in the Bank matches, missing only Wrestlemania 23 during his tenure in the company.

The WGTT is him and Haas and they debuted as a tag team working as Kurt Angle's understudies, more or less, as Team Angle, they eventually broke off from Kurt and called themselves the World's Greatest Tag Team and were active from 2002-2004 and were then split. Then in 2006 they reunited for another two years and had sporadic reunions afterward until they were fired. They reunited again on the independent scene and faced the Kings of Wrestling at ROH's Glory by Honor IX iPPV last year and had a rematch at ROH's LA show in January.

They are to have the rubber match and this time for the ROH World Tag titles on the first of two ROH iPPVs that take place on Wrestlemania weekend, on Friday and Saturday respectively.

Their Glory By Honor IX match was very good, but you'll have to purchase the DVD or iPPV replay to watch it. Their LA rematch is not out on DVD yet, but it should be out soon. I believe people said it was also very good, but not quite as good as the GBHIX match. Their next rematch is sure to be equally great, probably better since the titles will be on the line.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755

El Duke posted:

:laffo: But seriously, the guy in the Marlboro shirt looks like Vic Venom.

Thorias
Jun 3, 2008

Sue Denim posted:

The WGTT ROH matches are pretty good.

Dragging Iron Feet
Nov 10, 2007

by T. Finn

Sue Denim posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUqBTKRXScc

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

El Duke posted:

Are you sure? It would actually explain a lot.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

Sue Denim posted:

WGTT have a pretty drat good ladder match that was supposed to be against Los Guerreros, but Chavo got injured and Eddie named Tajiri as his replacement. It was at Judgement Day 03, if I recall correctly. Lots of fun spots, great finish.

Sugar Blaster
Dec 15, 2004

Sue Denim posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypvQlwWmFHc
WGTT vs Tajiri/Eddie ladder match. Tajiri rules so hard.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

The only worthwhile thing to come out of the WWE World's Greatest Tag Team reunion in '07 was this match.

George Kaplan
Mar 12, 2006

Tonfa posted:

The only worthwhile thing to come out of the WWE World's Greatest Tag Team reunion in '07 was this match.

I liked them as Team Angle, way back in the day.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
What was going on with the finish of the Bret/Backlund "I Quit" match at Wrestlemania XI? During the buildup they made a point of saying that you had to make your opponent "say the words I Quit into a microphone." For the finish, Bret put Backlund in the chicken wing, then Backlund kinda just grunts "aaaaahhhhh.... ugggghhh.... yeeeaah" into the mic and that was it.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Minidust posted:

What was going on with the finish of the Bret/Backlund "I Quit" match at Wrestlemania XI? During the buildup they made a point of saying that you had to make your opponent "say the words I Quit into a microphone." For the finish, Bret put Backlund in the chicken wing, then Backlund kinda just grunts "aaaaahhhhh.... ugggghhh.... yeeeaah" into the mic and that was it.

At Survivor Series 94, Bret was in the crossface and Owen convinced Helen to throw in the towel, ending the match.

The emphasis on saying the words was to prevent the same thing from happening again. I think it ended quick because it was a dead feud that pretty much nobody gave a poo poo about anymore by the time it happened.

Truther Vandross fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Mar 3, 2011

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Dragging Iron Feet posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUqBTKRXScc

This match has everything including a spot that's memorable and worthwhile. And the best part is they continued that for their rematch like years down the line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Gatts posted:

This match has everything including a spot that's memorable and worthwhile. And the best part is they continued that for their rematch like years down the line.

Is that match available on any of the WWE DVDs?