Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

I guess this isn't new but I just saw on Facebook... drat. Always amazes me how good really young kids can be at this poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQnsQSRVZno

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

King of rings, armlocks, hugs, and our hearts

colonel_korn posted:

I guess this isn't new but I just saw on Facebook... drat. Always amazes me how good really young kids can be at this poo poo.

Rolling with 13 year old kids who just got out of the kids class is the worst because you know when they get bigger from puberty and they become more coordinated they are just going to kick your rear end eventually. They are also so fast it is scary lots of the time.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

the yellow dart posted:

Rolling with 13 year old kids who just got out of the kids class is the worst because you know when they get bigger from puberty and they become more coordinated they are just going to kick your rear end eventually. They are also so fast it is scary lots of the time.

that's why you have to mind gently caress them now so they can't beat you later. Classic kung fu trick.

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.
Yea whenever a new guy in my class asks me about a technique or a position, I always tell them the wrong way to do it. Gotta sabotage 'em early.

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea

mobn posted:

My RNC technique is pretty bad, which is probably why I don't think I could finish it one handed.

Once I get my arm under their chin, I do the standard hand-on-bicep grip, and put my free hand on the back of their neck. I push forward with that hand, and squeeze my bicep on the choking arm to add more pressure. If I don't do these two things, my arms are long enough that there's free space in there and I don't get enough pressure on the arteries.

If you've got extra long arms you can grab higher and slightly off center, ala Roger vs. Randleman

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

colonel_korn posted:

I'm sure some of it is leverage from good technique, but that kid looks strong as hell.

Pooned
Dec 28, 2005

Eye contact counters everything
Ugh, i wish i had the opportunity to wrestle from an early age in school. I am currently studying to become a phys-ed teacher for primary school and i will be damned if i don't have playful optional grappling sessions with them instead of the usual soccer/basketball/volleyball every day sports.

My students won't be bullied!

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Pooned posted:

Ugh, i wish i had the opportunity to wrestle from an early age in school. I am currently studying to become a phys-ed teacher for primary school and i will be damned if i don't have playful optional grappling sessions with them instead of the usual soccer/basketball/volleyball every day sports.

My students won't be bullied!

Good luck getting these kids to understand how grappling isn't totally gay.

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007
Any tips for a white belt on passing from side control to mount with a big size disadvantage? Every time I started to do it, he just pushed me off and swept me instantly. The last time, I just lifted my leg briefly to fake the pass, and he still swept me. Okay, this last one probably means I just need to work on my base, but still, seems like you have to compromise your base temporarily to move to mount.

Looking back, it occurs to me to try and clear his arms before he can get leverage; maybe something like the "swimming" motion I was taught for maintaining mount position against the "bench-press" style mount escape. Would there have been any chance of success with something like that?

(Of course the obvious solution is not to let him see the pass coming. But we were just doing drills; submissions were out, so of course he had a pretty good idea what I was aiming for.)

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
Don't try to mount, try to work from side control. I don't know why, but I find it easier to control the other guy and work for submissions from side control than mount.

Since you said you were doing drills and couldn't submit them, though, what about going from side control to knee on belly to mount?

westcoaster
Oct 26, 2010
Try knee on belly, then slide your knee across their chest trying to get your knee into their armpit. You have to slide it upwards so they dont catch your foot and reclaim half guard.

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

mobn posted:

My RNC technique is pretty bad, which is probably why I don't think I could finish it one handed.

Once I get my arm under their chin, I do the standard hand-on-bicep grip, and put my free hand on the back of their neck. I push forward with that hand, and squeeze my bicep on the choking arm to add more pressure. If I don't do these two things, my arms are long enough that there's free space in there and I don't get enough pressure on the arteries.

Lower your shoulders and expand your chest by drawing a deep breath, this will both drastically increase the pressure and crush their windpipe. Instead of trying to make your elbows touch which will just burn out your arms, push your hands away from you like you're doing a scissoring motion. You can also clench your fists while doing all of this, which will flex the muscles in your arms and cause a tiny bit more constriction.

I think something like 70% of my passes to mount from sidecontrol are based around a failed bridge by the opponent, usually people will try to bridge right away to avoid you establishing sidecontrol or try it shortly afterwards if they sense you trying to set something up. As their hips peak and start coming back down after a failed attempt it's easy to slide your knee and foot over as they're preoccupied with their bridge. Plus 99% of the time people will bridge with both feet planted on the ground and therefore not have that "knee against your hip with their foot on the other knee" check going on. The timeframe of opportunity is small for pulling it off, but if you get good at it it's remarkably high percentage. If someone is really giving you trouble passing though, you can just switch to reverse sidemount and from there you can grab your own foot with your hand and then you can pull it across so high on their torso it's nearly impossible to stop.

Dante fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Mar 3, 2011

dokomoy
May 21, 2004

henkman posted:

Don't try to mount, try to work from side control. I don't know why, but I find it easier to control the other guy and work for submissions from side control than mount.

I don't love mount but this is pretty bad advice.

This dude is only a purple belt but this is a real good video on getting mount from side control.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drR7qaSbak0&feature=channel_video_title

fawker
Feb 1, 2008

ARMBAR!
Out of curiosity, are most people here training exclusively BJJ?
If so, how much are you guys paying? I just tried out a different place today, and I think I'm gonna stick with this one. The head instructor is a really cool, laid back guy. The gym is really into tournaments/competitions, which I like.

Im paying about $135 a month for about 4 days a week... its a little steep, but Ill just cut back on some other expenses to make it work :)

Im getting my rear end kicked but I LOVE it.

dokomoy
May 21, 2004

fawker posted:

Out of curiosity, are most people here training exclusively BJJ?
If so, how much are you guys paying? I just tried out a different place today, and I think I'm gonna stick with this one. The head instructor is a really cool, laid back guy. The gym is really into tournaments/competitions, which I like.

Im paying about $135 a month for about 4 days a week... its a little steep, but Ill just cut back on some other expenses to make it work :)

Im getting my rear end kicked but I LOVE it.

I pay 195 a month. I go to the most expensive gym in my area, but it's much more convenient for me and I love my instructor/team mates.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
I'm paying $980 for five months of unlimited training, where I can train pretty much from morning to evening on all days except saturday (just an hour) and sunday.

JayBulworth
Apr 1, 2010
I pay $113/month. Normal classes are offered five days a week, with five classes a day, plus open mats. Saturdays and Sundays are judo, competition specific classes and conditioning. There are plans to add wrestling and yoga in the future as well. It's a pretty good value in my opinion.

The gym is frequented by a bunch of major fighters and the head instructor will roll with anyone. Additionally, despite being Brazilian the head has no qualms with his students going to train BJJ at other gyms. It's also a fairly new gym which means we do not have a lot of guys beyond the blue belt level yet. We only have one homegrown purple belt, no brown belts except for two of the instructors and the rest of our purple belts are from other gyms. On the flipside of the coin, I got a lot of free private lessons with the head instructor in the early days because there weren't a lot of students. My instructor basically retooled my bottom game completely and refined my top game. Before, I was like a lot of big guys, bad from the bottom and rough on top with lots of strength and explosion but very little technique.

JayBulworth fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Mar 3, 2011

westcoaster
Oct 26, 2010
I pay $31 for two semesters. We have a brown belt teaching us and get to use the university wrestling mats.

Holland Oats
Oct 20, 2003

Only the dead have seen the end of war
I'm really lucky. I pay $70 per semester and we have a Renzo Gracie Black Belt teaching us. We also use the university wrestling mats.

Pierat
Mar 29, 2008
ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE THE BNP
I pay $30 for two semesters. We have a judo black belt and a few bjj blue belts.

widunder
May 2, 2002
I pay 350 USD for a semester, which gives me top black belt instruction twice per day if I had the time. Sweden is weird like that.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

dokomoy posted:

I don't love mount but this is pretty bad advice.

Yeah I'm not gonna try and pretend that I'm a grappling genius, just giving some advice on what works for me. I hate mount because if someone bucks you off you're almost always on the bottom. Side control might also be easier for me because I'm taller so I'm able to cover more area than other people I don't know maybe I'm just stupid and should try to work from mount more often who knows.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
Oh and here's my younger brother wrecking poo poo at a submission only tournament :smug:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epwJWfahEtc

And another kid from our school hitting a suplex at the same tournament

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IC4e2AGSm7E

drat our kids are awesome as hell.

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

King of rings, armlocks, hugs, and our hearts
$100 for unlimited BJJ, JJJ, Judo, and free grappling on Saturdays. Classes are every day that is not Sunday.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

henkman posted:

Yeah I'm not gonna try and pretend that I'm a grappling genius, just giving some advice on what works for me. I hate mount because if someone bucks you off you're almost always on the bottom. Side control might also be easier for me because I'm taller so I'm able to cover more area than other people I don't know maybe I'm just stupid and should try to work from mount more often who knows.

Practice your control from mount, especially utilizing your length to hold people. There are a ton of little things that go into this, so ask a black or brown belt for pointers, and check out some of Roger Gracie's stuff online (he is the king of the tall man mount).

Also, if you feel you're losing it, practice sliding back to side and then remounting, this is a great way to trap arms and set up chokes.

I used to be the same way about mount, preferring, the side but was really encouraged to go back and work on it. I'm still figuring things out but my mount is getting heavier and I can really see the value of it.

MycroftXXX
May 10, 2006

A Liquor Never Brewed
$150 a month for unlimited training

Acinonyx
Oct 21, 2005

Pooned posted:

playful optional grappling sessions with them

'Officer, I swear, I was only touching those kids in a playful manner! We never made eye contact...'

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
$150/mo for the best training and team in the world!

They have muay thai and a freaking crazy gym, but I just love sport bjj, all gi all the time. I usually do 4 nights a week.

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007
$89/month for a Renzo Gracie black belt instructor at a relatively new academy (translation: the only people around are a bunch of white/blue belts and one purple belt; that's the only thing I feel might be missing). Four classes a week plus conditioning 1x/week. There are some extra classes open only to blue belts but I think they pay a little more.

Also, thanks to the people who answered my question.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
$220/month.

The advanced class on Monday had five black belts, three brown belts, eight purples, and ten blues. That's pretty average for a Monday.

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT
$100 a month for the opportunity of 6 days a week, but the building rents for about $1100 per month. (I train with a purple, a whole bunch of blues, and a collegiate wrestler.) I'd say we have about 10 consistent people and various others.

Rent ought to be cheaper for our locale but it ain't because there's a lot of government work in this area (and high real estate prices).

Senor P. fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Mar 4, 2011

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea
$80 a month for unlimited, but I live in the a fairly small southern town and our gym is kind of ghetto. Just a bathroom and an open space with mats, plus a few pads.

Danny Cadaver
Jun 29, 2007
Who do the voodoo?

Holland Oats posted:

I'm really lucky. I pay $70 per semester and we have a Renzo Gracie Black Belt teaching us. We also use the university wrestling mats.

Weirdly enough, the same for me.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Pricing is hard to compare since it really depends on location. $200+ per month is pretty average for Manhattan whereas it would be extraordinarily high in most other areas.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

Danny Cadaver posted:

Weirdly enough, the same for me.
So you and Holland Oats are both under Jason.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

fatherdog posted:

$220/month.

The advanced class on Monday had five black belts, three brown belts, eight purples, and ten blues. That's pretty average for a Monday.

Is that Almeida's school?

AZCollins
Feb 4, 2004

Meanderthal
75 per month for unlimited training, but I get 25 bucks knocked off because I teach a beginner's class.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

89 Canadian Dollars for 3x a week plus yoga 1x a week. (And if I was crazy, kickboxing 3x a week, jits another 2x a week, and wrestling 3x a week)

A few browns, and a few purples, and blues.

Danny Cadaver
Jun 29, 2007
Who do the voodoo?

Yuns posted:

So you and Holland Oats are both under Jason.

Yeah apparently. I'm torn between wanting to know who you guys are, and keeping my real life separated from my goon life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danny Cadaver
Jun 29, 2007
Who do the voodoo?
Here's a funny and/or creepy story of real life melding into goon life: I was at a small tourney in midtown once and saw cortx. I didn't know for sure it was him, but somehow I got a strange, ineffable feeling that this skinny, bald, weirdlooking white dude with fierce eyebrows and a Manto Tokyo rashguard who was putting his legs behind his head during warmups was the kind of guy who would frequent SASMMA, a suspicion that was confirmed later when cortx posted those videos of him doing the Rings of Saturn on himself.