Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jeffrey Colon
Dec 13, 2007

Let's get down to brass tacks. How much for the ape?

Beep Street posted:

I can't seem to google this question, I just get Biffy Clyro lyrics if I do. Basically everytime I walk by the river Clyde (in Scotland) I notice there are lots of little bubbles rising to the surface. It looks like it is raining or someone is throwing loads of tiny pebbles in the water constantly. It cannot be fish breathing as there are simply too many of these bubbles. What could this be?

Could be subsurface aeration?. I honestly don't know much about it, but I know that lakes and ponds are aerated to improve water quality. Looks like its less common for rivers, but it is done and would make since the wikipedia article I included above mentions that water aeration is common near areas of human activity and the river Clyde flows through Glasgow.

That's all honestly just a guess though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

SynthesizerKaiser posted:

I feel like the volume of YouTube has decreased by somewhere around 20% (a few decibels maybe). I have the slider on my Windows volume mixer maxed across the board, as well as YouTube itself. What am I missing here? WinAmp is still loud and proud.

This happening for videos you know were previously loud? Could just be a bunch of shittily mixed videos being uploaded.

mambo italiano
Apr 4, 2009
Im in the market for a new job and I applied as a gas worker trainee for puget sound energy. I understand that this is a training program with classes and hands on experience, but what does a gas worker do? Will I be reading meters for life or will it be something more exciting?

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Can someone translate this?

Eben was du wolltest?

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

wigtrade.cc posted:

Eben was du wolltest?

My German isn't great but I think it should be "Just what you wanted?"

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

how about?
Hallo der Schwule
Du der Idiot
Hallo das MITGLIED der kommunistischen Partei

I killed a german in an mmo so he's speaking german at me

Black Noise fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Mar 3, 2011

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

wigtrade.cc posted:

how about?
Hallo der Schwule
Du der Idiot
Hallo das MITGLIED der kommunistischen Partei

I killed a german in an mmo so he's speaking german at me

He called you gay, an idiot, and a communist.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

Rent-A-Cop posted:

He called you gay, an idiot, and a communist.

He called him Gore Vidal?

Eyeball
Jun 4, 2008

by angerbeet
Thanks, Moscow Mule. I guess I never considered the possibility that cowboys do lose their hats on occasion.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Who is with Kermit in this .gif?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Abel Wingnut posted:

I think that's Christian Bale?

Daemus
Jun 20, 2008

Not entirely undoglike

Abel Wingnut posted:

Academy award winner, caped crusader, future hope of mankind and american psycho: Christian Bale

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Does anyone have the thread for how to fight a collection agency? It was a really good read and today I got a letter in the mail claiming I owe money, which I know I don't, but it is a lot of money. :sigh:

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3234974

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

You're a life saver, thanks! That didn't come up in a search so I wasn't sure if it was in archives or not.

Raimundus
Apr 26, 2008

BARF! I THOUGHT I WOULD LIKE SMELLING DOG BUTTS BUT I GUESS I WAS WRONG!
I bashed the poo poo out of my humerus nerve in class at school today. It left my hand burning and my entire elbow joint sore. The pain was so intense that I thought I was going to vomit. Somehow I kept my composure long enough to excuse myself from the classroom.

Can accidentally striking this nerve cause permanent damage? I hit it something like four hours ago; my hand is still tingling and I still can't move my arm without some pain. It kind of makes me wonder about all of the other times I've done this.

(I didn't think this was serious enough for The Goon Doctor.)

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
Do any of the big chain stores do toner refills for printers? Or even exchanges? Seems like a waste to throw away a cartridge.

TLG James fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Mar 4, 2011

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Raimundus posted:

I bashed the poo poo out of my humerus nerve in class at school today. It left my hand burning and my entire elbow joint sore. The pain was so intense that I thought I was going to vomit. Somehow I kept my composure long enough to excuse myself from the classroom.

Can accidentally striking this nerve cause permanent damage? I hit it something like four hours ago; my hand is still tingling and I still can't move my arm without some pain. It kind of makes me wonder about all of the other times I've done this.

(I didn't think this was serious enough for The Goon Doctor.)

I assume you mean funny bone? I've whacked mine really hard a few times, and it can tingle for several hours. You'll probably be fine tomorrow, but you may have a bruise which is causing some of the pain.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

TLG James posted:

Do any of the big chain stores do toner refills for printers? Or even exchanges? Seems like a waste to throw away a cartridge.

Staples gives you a $2 credit if you recycle your old cartridge, and I'm pretty sure every big box electronics retailer has a recycling center for ink/batteries now (even Target and Walmart have them now).

Knives and Hot Dust
Feb 21, 2010

metal gear??!?
Forums related question: why was table breaking ever something that you could get banned for? I mean I know now that you cannot get banned for breaking tables but why could you to begin with?
Was it just because goons are too lazy to move the bottom slider?

Mario
Oct 29, 2006
It's-a-me!
I think it used to break the whole thread table rather than just the individual post.

Raimundus
Apr 26, 2008

Knives and Hot Dust posted:

Forums related question: why was table breaking ever something that you could get banned for? I mean I know now that you cannot get banned for breaking tables but why could you to begin with?

At this point, it's mostly just inconvenient. It also makes large images difficult to see because you can't just zoom out like you could with a direct link or thumbnail link.

Also: Forums-related question thread. Mods and admins answer somewhat regularly.

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
Look at all these burgers-running me everyday-
I just need some time-some time to get away from-
from all these burgers I can't take it no more

Lately I have noticed that when I walk in and out of stores in the mall that have censors the alarm always goes off if I have my gun on me, but not when I don't. Why would a gun set the alarm off, those things aren't metal detectors are they?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Bojanglesworth posted:

Lately I have noticed that when I walk in and out of stores in the mall that have censors the alarm always goes off if I have my gun on me, but not when I don't. Why would a gun set the alarm off, those things aren't metal detectors are they?

They are, actually. There are little bits of magnetized metal inside those security tags, and the gates respond to them. They might also respond to other metal objects.

Why are you bringing a gun to random stores in the mall?

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Knives and Hot Dust posted:

Also probably left over from when people were still on slower connections.

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

haveblue posted:

They are, actually. There are little bits of magnetized metal inside those security tags, and the gates respond to them. They might also respond to other metal objects.

Why are you bringing a gun to random stores in the mall?

I guess that answers that question. I carry a gun everywhere, not just specifically random stores in the mall.

Raimundus
Apr 26, 2008

Bojanglesworth posted:

I guess that answers that question. I carry a gun everywhere, not just specifically random stores in the mall.

Do you get checked often when the alarms go off? What do security guards and clerks say or do when you show them the gun or they find it on you?

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

Raimundus posted:

Do you get checked often when the alarms go off? What do security guards and clerks say or do when you show them the gun or they find it on you?

I've never once been stopped. When I worked in retail back in the day it was always store policy to never ever stop someone or imply that they stole something because they can sue for false arrest.

Not to mention that you don't exactly pull out a gun when a security guard approaches you and say "I HAVE A GUN!" I live in a state where both concealed and open carry handguns are perfectly legal and accepted.

Raimundus
Apr 26, 2008

I can't read. Ignore this post.

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

Raimundus posted:

But, I mean, they don't check you out when you set off the alarm?

No, generally they just look at me and wave. I haven't ever been stopped in my whole life. Except at Best Buy & Costco where they check everyones receipt on the way out. Do you live in the hood or something?

Raimundus
Apr 26, 2008

You just made me curious as to how gun rights might be upheld. Also, I'm pretty nosy.

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

Raimundus posted:

You just made me curious as to how gun rights might be upheld. Also, I'm pretty nosy.

Im sure people here are tired of reading this, PM me or send me an email Sublimejoe at gmail

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

Bojanglesworth posted:

I've never once been stopped. When I worked in retail back in the day it was always store policy to never ever stop someone or imply that they stole something because they can sue for false arrest.

Not to mention that you don't exactly pull out a gun when a security guard approaches you and say "I HAVE A GUN!" I live in a state where both concealed and open carry handguns are perfectly legal and accepted.

This seems odd. The whole false arrest thing. I mean if it beeps why wouldn't you just walk over and ask to see in someones bag or something. Thats not really detaining someone. But then again if it beeps when I walk through I usually stop and look to see if they want me.

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

Fists Up posted:

This seems odd. The whole false arrest thing. I mean if it beeps why wouldn't you just walk over and ask to see in someones bag or something. Thats not really detaining someone. But then again if it beeps when I walk through I usually stop and look to see if they want me.

Just think of it this way, you go to walk out of a store and the thing beeps, they throw some big fit and the customer sues the store because they made a scene in front of a ton of people. Not my thing, but people in America are sue happy and it costs the company less to just possibly let a guy walk with a $10 belt.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

Bojanglesworth posted:

Lately I have noticed that when I walk in and out of stores in the mall that have censors the alarm always goes off if I have my gun on me, but not when I don't.

Bojanglesworth posted:

I carry a gun everywhere, not just specifically random stores in the mall.

Which is it? Everywhere but not all the time?

(Actually I am more just nosy as to how you decide when not to carry the gun. And this being the stupid questions thread, and not knowing anyone who even owns a gun (not counting spearguns), I figure I get to ask a stupid question, if you don't mind answering.)

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

kapalama posted:

Which is it? Everywhere but not all the time?

(Actually I am more just nosy as to how you decide when not to carry the gun. And this being the stupid questions thread, and not knowing anyone who even owns a gun (not counting spearguns), I figure I get to ask a stupid question, if you don't mind answering.)

The short answer is certain places I cannot carry a gun. In DC for instance, there are no concealed handgun permits given so my gun either stays in the car or at home. Aside from places where it is strictly prohibited (govt buildings, post office, schools, certain states) I carry my gun everywhere I go without fail.

WHEEZY KISS A DUDE
Dec 28, 2000

ASK ME HOW TO GET FREE BEER!
(THE ANSWER IS "CHEATING GOONS OUT OF IT")

Bojanglesworth posted:

The short answer is certain places I cannot carry a gun. In DC for instance, there are no concealed handgun permits given so my gun either stays in the car or at home. Aside from places where it is strictly prohibited (govt buildings, post office, schools, certain states) I carry my gun everywhere I go without fail.

And how often do you fantasize about SHTF so you can use it?

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

WHEEZY MISS A DUDE posted:

And how often do you fantasize about SHTF so you can use it?

Every day since I wasn't carrying and my best friend got shot.

Krakened
Dec 8, 2008

by Fistgrrl
I want to start a blog for the purpose of helping students settle in to university. This involves sharing information specific to my university, the Queensland University of Technology (important dates, how to hand in assingments, on campus facilities etc). I have searched on the net, and found that there is little in the way of this over here. However, I don't know how to start a blog or who provides them.

How do I/how should I start a blog?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Krakened posted:

I want to start a blog for the purpose of helping students settle in to university. This involves sharing information specific to my university, the Queensland University of Technology (important dates, how to hand in assingments, on campus facilities etc). I have searched on the net, and found that there is little in the way of this over here. However, I don't know how to start a blog or who provides them.

How do I/how should I start a blog?

http://www.blogger.com
http://www.wordpress.com
http://www.tumblr.com

These are all free services to get a basic blog started.