Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

I love What's Up Tiger Lily. The Lovin' Spoonful bits are stupid, but everything else is terrific.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Dune the television cut. It is released under Alan Smithee name

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Hasn't Francis Ford Coppola admitted that most of the movies he did in the 80s and 90s (including Godfather 3) were just paycheck jobs to make up for One from the Heart?

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

FitFortDanga posted:

I love What's Up Tiger Lily. The Lovin' Spoonful bits are stupid, but everything else is terrific.

I like it too. Wikipedia says the Spoonful stuff was put in my by the studio against Woody's wishes. I've read two books of interviews with Woody Allen, and Tiger Lily is never discussed at all. Dude won't talk about it, and doesn't even refer to it as his first movie. As far as he's concerned his first movie is Take the Money and Run.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

bobkatt013 posted:

Dune the television cut. It is released under Alan Smithee name

That wasn't Lynch's first film though.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

cloudchamber posted:

That wasn't Lynch's first film though.

Ah read it as films disowned by well known directors

Lao Tsu
Dec 26, 2006

OH GOD SOMEBODY MILK ME
What do people think of intro credit sequences and ending credit sequences? I always get annoyed when people fast forward through intros (or even television shows making shorter intro sequences) and when people turn off movies right as the credits roll (or when commercials are slapped on right as the credits begin on television).

I'm not saying that all films should adhere to the same style, but I find music to be very important in film, and I often find the beginning and ending of movies to be like an overture. It's a good primer at the beginning and a time to decompress at the end.

Anyone else enjoy credit sequences for this reason?

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Lao Tsu posted:

What do people think of intro credit sequences and ending credit sequences? I always get annoyed when people fast forward through intros (or even television shows making shorter intro sequences) and when people turn off movies right as the credits roll (or when commercials are slapped on right as the credits begin on television).

I'm not saying that all films should adhere to the same style, but I find music to be very important in film, and I often find the beginning and ending of movies to be like an overture. It's a good primer at the beginning and a time to decompress at the end.

I have for a long time wanted to make/see a movie which deliberately left the action incomplete for the duration of the closing credits, just to keep people in their seats and also to rack up the tension. Maybe with some wordless montage of events going on during the credits, which slowly pushes the film towards the final scene. Then after the final credit, POW, insane final moment, denoument and end of movie.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
That's almost what happened in the new Dawn of the Dead. Almost.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

Twitch posted:

If Tim Burton produced movies count, then his best movie is definitely Cabin Boy. No one ever seems to agree with me on that one, though.

"Best" "Movie"

Lao Tsu posted:

When I see a movie in the theatre I never, ever get out of my seat before the reel stops. I always watch all of the credits. Partly for respect, partly to enjoy (sometimes) the score, partly to digest/discuss what I've just seen.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I rarely watch the credits. With the teenaged employees staring at us waiting to leave the theatre, my friends usually getting up to leave, and the lack of anyone associated with the film being in the audience, there's never much of a draw to me to sit through them. I'll stick around if I've really enjoyed the soundtrack or if I'm at home and it's one of my favourite movies.

On the subject of credits, was there some kind of union agreement over the years to include more people? When movies used to have the credits at the beginning they were incredibly short, so obviously tons of people were going uncredited compared to today where the Caterer's Second Swiffer Grip gets his name put up.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Yep, the regulations have become stricter, though lot of films now have a credits sequence that features the "main players" (screenwriter, director, actors, etc) presented in an interesting fashion followed by a long, long scroll with everyone. Blue Valentine is a good example, with the fireworks credits followed by the scroll. Kubrick is one of the few directors whose end credits I always sit through (A Clockwork Orange's are wonderful in the cinema).

On that subject, I wonder who pioneered the use of an ironic end song? Dr. Strangelove is the earliest one I can think of, but there must be something before that.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Credits should be as basic as possible unless they're worth sitting through. That's why I support lengthy credits with at least animations and great end title music.

If I were to make a feature film, I'd always follow the awesome format of the '56 Around the World in 80 Days. The entire film re-played in chronological order with actors in order of appearance, plus crew interspersed. With Saul Bass graphics.

Seriously, it's a waste of time and resources to put 5 minutes of black and white credits at the end of a film. At least make it worse watching.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Lao Tsu posted:

I'll always watch a movie to the very ending. Unless I'm in the theater with a lot of people who don't want to stay.

I do like when credits are interesting too. Iron Man sticks out as having a very interesting credits

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTEtjNoA-_U

Robokomodo
Nov 11, 2009
Did Stone completely take apart Natural Born Killers or did he stay pretty true to Tarantino's script? Did he make it more violent? Less violent?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Robokomodo posted:

Did Stone completely take apart Natural Born Killers or did he stay pretty true to Tarantino's script? Did he make it more violent? Less violent?
The final script bears very little resemblance to the script Tarantino originally wrote. It would be difficult to summarise the extent of the changes in a sentence, but the original script is more or less the script for a straightforward action film narratively centred around the reporter (eventually played by Robert Downey, Jr.). And it's difficult to say whether or not an unfilmed script is violent---because that's very much a matter of perception rather than the literal facts of what happens in the plot or even onscreen---but Stone's film is certainly much more focused on violence as a subject than Tarantino's script is.

If you're really interested, the Tarantino script is available (as in you can buy a paperback copy from amazon for a couple bucks).

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

codyclarke posted:

What are some first films by well-known filmmakers that are admittedly bad or even disowned? For instance Tarantino's My Best Friend's Birthday, James Cameron's Piranha II, and Woody Allen's What's Up Tiger Lily?.

I just watched What's Up, Tiger Lily? today and have to admit I liked it. Not loved it, but liked it. It made me laugh out loud on several occasions and it had a wittiness about it that I appreciated. Bananas, on the other hand, is pretty bad. If Allen should disown any of his early work, it's that one.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Egbert Souse posted:

Credits should be as basic as possible unless they're worth sitting through. That's why I support lengthy credits with at least animations and great end title music.

If I were to make a feature film, I'd always follow the awesome format of the '56 Around the World in 80 Days. The entire film re-played in chronological order with actors in order of appearance, plus crew interspersed. With Saul Bass graphics.

Seriously, it's a waste of time and resources to put 5 minutes of black and white credits at the end of a film. At least make it worse watching.

See, one of my favorite credits sequences was (I believe) for Me, Myself & Irene, where the credits were done with candid photos of the cast and crew during filming, with arrows pointing to the picture with the persons name scribble above it.

Also liked the actor's credits for Knocked Up where it showed them either as newborns, or with their own newborn children.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT
My favorite end credits sequence in recent memory is probably Lemony Snicket's Series of Unfortunate Events. There was a neat animated popout book style cartoon that played over most of the credits. It was actually a lot more enjoyable than the actual movie. Though, to be fair, I don't think it's a particularly bad movie by itself.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

caiman posted:

Bananas, on the other hand, is pretty bad. If Allen should disown any of his early work, it's that one.

No.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fVJt9FToP4

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
So I've had to watch Twilight for work, and I'm halfway through New Moon. Are these films just incredibly incompetently written, or is it all the fault of the source material? It seems to me like there is a very interesting mythology behind the story, and perhaps even interesting characters, but the incredibly poor writing, scenework, dialogue, pacing, etc keeps getting in the way. Is this entirely Stephanie Meyers' fault, or is it also partially to blame on the screenwriters? I'm certainly not one to disparage the Twilight series for what it is; in fact, I think it's better conceived than a great number of comic books that cover similar entitlement themes, but the fact that it just doesn't come across on screen is so unforgivable given the possible interest of the source.

Rake Arms
Sep 15, 2007

It's just not the same without widescreen.
The only person involved in Twilight who had any sort of competence was Carter Burwell, who wrote a pretty good score for an awful, amateurish film. But he's Carter Burwell, I'd expect no less.

Aorist
Apr 25, 2006

Denham's does it!
While watching The Thing from Another World, I realized that the scenes in the hallways of the base are essentially a non-futuristic version of the traditional "scifi corridor". This made me wonder: what's the earliest arguable appearance of the claustrophobic corridor as an important motif in a scifi film? The Thing is 1951, is there something earlier?

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

Egbert Souse posted:

i agree. Especially in the internet age. Just put a screen "THE END: SEE IMDB FOR CREDITS".

Also, I think What's Up Tiger Lily is up there with some of the funniest movies I've seen.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
My favorite story about end credits comes from Wild Things.

When we saw that awesome film in the theaters, everyone else instinctively shot out of their seats as soon as the credits started to roll, then froze when the first inter-credits scene came on. Some people already out of the theater popped their heads back in to see what was going on. Then the credits roll again, and people start to leave, and the second scene comes on. Watching those fucktards try to figure out if they should sit back down or leave was hilarious. And there are something like 5 scenes in those credits.

Man, I love that movie.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

Lao Tsu posted:

I hate credit sequences. If the director puts effort into them (Se7en is the obvious choice, or the original Star Wars scrawl) then OK, otherwise don't even run them.

I hate them completely for TV where the fixed length makes it seem like they are just milking the clock by running two minute openings.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
A good opening credits sequence is like an overture, but a bad one is a waste of space.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

SubG posted:

If you're really interested, the Tarantino script is available (as in you can buy a paperback copy from amazon for a couple bucks).

It's also much, much less interesting than the film we got, for all its flaws.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I don't like credits running over actual opening scenes for the most part. They tend to be distracting. A major exception is Once Upon a Time in the West, of course.

Unexpected EOF
Dec 8, 2008

I'm a Bro-ny!

feedmyleg posted:

So I've had to watch Twilight for work, and I'm halfway through New Moon. Are these films just incredibly incompetently written, or is it all the fault of the source material? It seems to me like there is a very interesting mythology behind the story, and perhaps even interesting characters, but the incredibly poor writing, scenework, dialogue, pacing, etc keeps getting in the way. Is this entirely Stephanie Meyers' fault, or is it also partially to blame on the screenwriters? I'm certainly not one to disparage the Twilight series for what it is; in fact, I think it's better conceived than a great number of comic books that cover similar entitlement themes, but the fact that it just doesn't come across on screen is so unforgivable given the possible interest of the source.

No. The source material is utter trash. It sells well because it's a "TWOO LURVE" story with just the right dashes of wonder and a female lead who is so personality free that the reader naturally imprints their own personality on her. Of course, you can't really not blame the people writing and directing the movies either.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Unexpected EOF posted:

No. The source material is utter trash. It sells well because it's a "TWOO LURVE" story with just the right dashes of wonder and a female lead who is so personality free that the reader naturally imprints their own personality on her. Of course, you can't really not blame the people writing and directing the movies either.

I was tricked into seeing the second movie and it really felt like it was targeting 12 year old girls. I know nothing about Stephenie Meyer and who her target audience is really.

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...

Zogo posted:

I was tricked into seeing the second movie and it really felt like it was targeting 12 year old girls. I know nothing about Stephenie Meyer and who her target audience is really.

Stephanie Meyer's target audience is dead white males printed on green cotton paper of varying denominations.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Do I need to see Ip Man to follow Ip Man 2? It's opening at a theater near me soon.

I'm assuming not, but you never know.

Bobfromsales
Apr 2, 2010

Magic Hate Ball posted:

A good opening credits sequence is like an overture, but a bad one is a waste of space.

There are bad overtures.

Most audiences up through the 19th century would continue to talk through the overture untill the curtain actually came up.

Unexpected EOF
Dec 8, 2008

I'm a Bro-ny!

morestuff posted:

Do I need to see Ip Man to follow Ip Man 2? It's opening at a theater near me soon.

I'm assuming not, but you never know.

No, but you SHOULD because Ip Man is absolutely loving amazing and better than the sequel by a fair margin.

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
IS IT WRONG THAT I ONCE WROTE A HORROR STORY ABOUT THE BUDDIES? YOU KNOW, THE TALKING PUPPIES?
Anyone else having issues with IMDB today? It's not loading for me.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

Slasherfan posted:

Anyone else having issues with IMDB today? It's not loading for me.
It's not just you:
http://www.downforeveryoneorjustme.com/imdb.com

Unexpected EOF
Dec 8, 2008

I'm a Bro-ny!
I... just watched a trailer there like 2 seconds ago.

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
IS IT WRONG THAT I ONCE WROTE A HORROR STORY ABOUT THE BUDDIES? YOU KNOW, THE TALKING PUPPIES?

cloudchamber posted:

It's not just you:
http://www.downforeveryoneorjustme.com/imdb.com

Cool thanks for the link, never heard of that site before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

Unexpected EOF posted:

I... just watched a trailer there like 2 seconds ago.

You might have been on a cached version of the site.