Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Buff Butler
Mar 11, 2008

gamer death money

Mq posted:

Just started Betrayal at Krondor for the first time. Is there anything a new player should know? The manual is pretty good and system seems fairly... simple but you know.

I think I read somewhere that characters get swapped in and out of your party as plot demands. Do you then lose the equipment they are carrying? Is Owyn the main character?

In Chapters 1-3, you only swap one character, and you can keep the gear of the character who leaves the party. After that, things get a little messy. It's a good idea to keep a few expensive gems on Owyn at the end of Chapter 3 for reasons that will become evident shortly thereafter.

Gorath and Owyn will be in the party during every chapter where barding is useful, so you'll probably want to raise that skill on Owyn. You can focus on skills by clicking the sword hilt for it on the skill screen, which causes the pommel to light up red. Despair Thy Eyes is the best loving spell in the game. Fetters of Rime is really good too and you can get it in a chest near the road from Silden to Romney.

In general the best advice I can give you for this game is to go around exploring as much as you can in Chapters 1-6, and do the plot-critical stuff only when you've exhausted everything else. Chapters 7-9 are much more linear and you should basically just play them straight through to the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Zork Nemesis: The Forbidden Lands is now on GOG for $5.99.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

Buff Butler posted:

Despair Thy Eyes is the best loving spell in the game. Fetters of Rime is really good too and you can get it in a chest near the road from Silden to Romney.

Despair thy eyes is the best spell only in so far as the beginning of the game is concerned but yeah in the beginning of the game its gonna be the go to spell. I'd probably say Fetters is the best spell other than the fact that it can miss.

Fetters of Rime (no one is immune to this spell), Grief of 1000 nights (better version of Fetters but several things are immune), Unfortunate Flux, Skin of the Dragon and Evil Seek are probably the main useful spells and other than Evil Seek can all be acquired pretty early.

Mq posted:

Just started Betrayal at Krondor for the first time. Is there anything a new player should know?

In addition to what has been already said, I would suggest training either Owyn or Gorath in lockpicking. This is a bit counter intuitive because in the first part of the game they are always in a party with someone who is already good at it but doing this will be useful down the road.

Mq
Jul 7, 2005
Lazy fat bastard
Thanks for all the tips. I did notice greater usefulness of Despair Thy Eyes compared to other starting spells.

If anyone else is just starting the game I would add my own tip: always inspect rations you loot from enemies or you might experience an unpleasant surprise.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

http://www.gog.com/en/news/take_a_game_preference_survey_for_a_chance_to_win_a_free_game_from_gog/0

There's a survey going on. Other than the typical questions about how much you spend on games and what genres you like, it also has stuff about DRM and piracy.

Oh, and you might win a free game.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Some of those questions are a bit...strange. Asking to which degree I "feel protected" after reading a preview of an unknown, upcoming fantasy RPG? Did I miss the part where it will contain shover robots or something? :psyduck:

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

MMAgCh posted:

Some of those questions are a bit...strange. Asking to which degree I "feel protected" after reading a preview of an unknown, upcoming fantasy RPG? Did I miss the part where it will contain shover robots or something? :psyduck:

Apparently you didn't notice the Rape-Bot.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

While I read that preview all I could think was "this game is going to be a huge disappointment for a lot of people." It also made me think of Fable.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Armor-Piercing posted:

While I read that preview all I could think was "this game is going to be a huge disappointment for a lot of people." It also made me think of Fable.

Yeah, I read that and thought "No way is this game going to live up to its promises".

This whole survey seems somewhat disconnected from reality. Nobody makes copies of their original games for friends/get copies from friends, they direct friends to the nearest torrent site, where they get the game pre-cracked.

I also don't know if they mean "lend away my copy" or "create a new copy of the game" when talking about sharing with friends.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

ymgve posted:

Yeah, I read that and thought "No way is this game going to live up to its promises".

This whole survey seems somewhat disconnected from reality. Nobody makes copies of their original games for friends/get copies from friends, they direct friends to the nearest torrent site, where they get the game pre-cracked.

I also don't know if they mean "lend away my copy" or "create a new copy of the game" when talking about sharing with friends.

Keep in mind the European origin. Their bandwidth rates are usually on the side of ridiculous so it probably is cheaper to copy a pre-cracked file to a disc and give it away.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

ymgve posted:

That made answering the questions about how much effort I would put into finding cracks or pirated copies weird. "I would not put any effort into finding a pirated copy of the game" is true if you would never pirate a game, but it is also true if you know what torrents are.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

al-azad posted:

Keep in mind the European origin. Their bandwidth rates are usually on the side of ridiculous so it probably is cheaper to copy a pre-cracked file to a disc and give it away.

This is not the Europe I'm familiar with.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

ymgve posted:

This is not the Europe I'm familiar with.

When I was stationed in Germany a few years ago satellite internet was the only thing available and good god was it expensive. Maybe its changed recently but I couldn't imagine the options people have who don't live in a city.

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

Armor-Piercing posted:

I wrote to the survey because I answered 0 retail games bought in the last 6 months thinking they'd have a digital distribution question on the next page. I suggested they add another box for digital purchases because instead of 0 it would probably be a few dozens games in my case.

The game preview is randomized so we might not all had the same one. They're fictive. The guy confirmed it.

In my case I got a really cool sounding RPG, my dream games but then they started to talk about very bad DRM policies, the kind that would be the next step to the Ubisoft one when Assassin's Creed II was released.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Hemish posted:

In my case I got a really cool sounding RPG, my dream games but then they started to talk about very bad DRM policies, the kind that would be the next step to the Ubisoft one when Assassin's Creed II was released.

My bet is that the description of the game is the same (dream RPG, reminded me a bit of what Fable was supposed to be, promising so much if it were real it would likely be a massive disappointment) but with a different DRM case. At the end of mine for example, the developer talked about a very light case of DRM, making it easy to pirate but also moddable and easy for legitimate customers, too.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
Mine felt a little self-contradictory.
Supposedly this developer has a very light DRM policy but also expressed distrust of consumers and the need to protect their IP with strong DRM.
Or something.

Also the RPG sounded way too detailed.

Elmo Oxygen
Jun 11, 2007

Kazuo Misaki Superfan #3

Don't make me lift my knee, young man.

MMAgCh posted:

Apparently you missed the part about DRM.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

Hemish posted:

The game preview is randomized so we might not all had the same one. They're fictive. The guy confirmed it.

Not surprising but annoying, the preview I got sounded awesome.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Preview I got I assumed was Witcher 2, ha.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
The preview i got was about an RPG where they bothered to actually put effort in the world modelling and AI. Then i remembered i'd already played that and it was Ryzom. :v:

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

did anyone get last preview page which was all about how the NEW drm was gonna take all pirates down and how developer really is going to sue every one trying to pirate.
That would be very psychedelic preview, if 1/3rd of it was used to rage against piracy instead of hyping up the game.

USMC_Karl
Nov 17, 2003

SUPPORTER OF THE REINSTATED LAWFUL HAWAIIAN GOVERNMENT. HAOLES GET OFF DA `AINA.

jammu posted:

did anyone get last preview page which was all about how the NEW drm was gonna take all pirates down and how developer really is going to sue every one trying to pirate.
That would be very psychedelic preview, if 1/3rd of it was used to rage against piracy instead of hyping up the game.

I got one where the devs had built a DRM system ground up that was supposed to be unbeatable. The game had all these little trips in it, and if something looked fishy it pinged the publishers servers and allowed them to track you or something. Also somehow the publisher would be able to tell between a mod attempt and a pirate, so they were going to respect modders. It seemed pretty nuts, but seeing as how I don't play any games aside from GoG's $5 specials, and even those only a couple hours a week, I could care less. Also if the devs could actually somehow create a DRM system that good then more power to them, although I don't see it being able to work correctly.

The best quote from my preview was something along the lines of "We will be able to track all pirates, and punish them accordingly".

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Nah, the one I got was, well, kind of internally contradictory. They know they can't stop piracy, and they don't want to punish legitimate users, so instead of releasing it without DRM they're using a non-intrusive DRM system that doesn't actually do anything? :confused:

Fishmonkey
Jun 22, 2004

Professional Boob Puncher
That fake RPG preview is absolutely Molyneux-esque. "You can customize EVERYTHING! The world is ALIVE! Every creature behaves REALISTICALLY!"

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Hahah, yeah. When answering the questions about that I was torn between answering them as I would react to the game as described ("loving sweet") or as I would react to the preview ("hahahahahah yeah right, I'll believe that when I'm actually playing it")

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

ToxicFrog posted:

Nah, the one I got was, well, kind of internally contradictory. They know they can't stop piracy, and they don't want to punish legitimate users, so instead of releasing it without DRM they're using a non-intrusive DRM system that doesn't actually do anything? :confused:

I got the same one and for some reason it made me trust them even less.

Harmonica
May 18, 2004

il cinema è la vita e viceversa
Apparently I got the most typical IGN fodder preview ever written about the dullest Fable clone ever made. I would pay $15 for this game. I wish I got the DRM nazi one.

Same old completely vague hypothetical quiz questions which someone can plot onto a lot of graphs and come up with wildly speculative conclusions for their degree.

Proper research into this kind of thing would be along the lines of having users fill out text boxes with proper answers but that would of course take time and effort to evaluate by hand.

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

Harmonica posted:

Apparently I got the most typical IGN fodder preview ever written about the dullest Fable clone ever made. I would pay $15 for this game. I wish I got the DRM nazi one.

Same old completely vague hypothetical quiz questions which someone can plot onto a lot of graphs and come up with wildly speculative conclusions for their degree.

Proper research into this kind of thing would be along the lines of having users fill out text boxes with proper answers but that would of course take time and effort to evaluate by hand.

The Survey's contact posted:

As far as the company not to buy from, they do not exist, so you won’t have to worry about buying it on accident. We actually gave people randomly assigned final pages describing different DRM policies, and the overall goal of the research is actually to see how these different DRM policies can affect how people feel about the game. In your case, I would imagine you got something about a more restrictive DRM policy, which made you like the game less…which is exactly what we were looking for.

This is a quote from the few e-mails I exchanged with the guy, I still think the survey was well made if the goal was entirely about DRM. You just need to know the "level" of the gamer and his reaction to the different DRM policies included in the survey.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
I tried to re-take the survey, and it seems like they randomly pick one of two descriptions. Here they are: http://pastebin.com/RR9MBTYT

So it seems like they are trying to gauge differences in reactions from the different descriptions, and that explains why the gog.com thread asks people to not discuss the content. However, I miss a no-DRM description they also could contrast with. (Or maybe they had one but it didn't show up in my tries)

Another thing I noticed now is that the "ultra-DRM" description seems almost as unrealistic as the game description itself. Tracking pirates no matter what? What if they use anonymous sharing methods and play the game without a network cable attached?

ymgve fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Mar 3, 2011

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Shadowgrounds is now on GOG for $9.99.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

ymgve posted:

Another thing I noticed now is that the "ultra-DRM" description seems almost as unrealistic as the game description itself. Tracking pirates no matter what? What if they use anonymous sharing methods and play the game without a network cable attached?

But but, It's Uncrackable game, where DRM is Inside the Code! :engleft:

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

jammu posted:

But but, It's Uncrackable game, where DRM is Inside the Code! :engleft:

So it's an RPG that probably requires a constant internet connection. Perhaps to open doors? I wonder if this mythic DRM (or real) also exits you to the title screen when you lose an internet connection.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Andrigaar posted:

I wonder if this mythic DRM (or real) also exits you to the title screen when you lose an internet connection.

That worked so well for C&C4.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

I hope more games have copy protection like Operation Flashpoint, where if you installed the latest patch over the retail install instead of doing each patch in order, your grenade launcher would shoot at 90 degree angles to where you were pointing.

SixOhSix
Apr 7, 2006

QUALITY SEIZURE-INDUCED GLITCH-HOP FUN!

Vertigus posted:

I hope more games have copy protection like Operation Flashpoint, where if you installed the latest patch over the retail install instead of doing each patch in order, your grenade launcher would shoot at 90 degree angles to where you were pointing.

I still love the one for Red Alert 2. Start of any battle your army would just explode.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Blodskur posted:

Shadowgrounds is now on GOG for $9.99.

Is it just me or does that game look a LOT like Alien Swarm? Were any of the people on the original UT mode involved in making it?

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Is it just me or does that game look a LOT like Alien Swarm? Were any of the people on the original UT mode involved in making it?

First thing I thought as well. Second thing was: why would I pay for this (or ever play it), when I can just play Alien Swarm with other folks for not a red cent?

Although the co-op option might be intriguing, but never for $9.99.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Shadowgrounds (and the sequel, Shadowgrounds Survivor) is actually lots of fun - indeed, I've gotten a lot more enjoyment out of them than I have out of Alien Swarm, primarily because they're singleplayer-focused games and thus enjoyable even if you can't get a group of people together who aren't idiots and/or assholes.

That said, it is fundamentally similar gameplay to Alien Swarm (apart from the fact that Shadowgrounds is classless, instead focusing on weapon customization), and the storyline isn't anything spectacular. So if you're already sated by AS, there's not much incentive to get Shadowgrounds.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I still play Shadowgrounds despite character designs looking awful. I got both real cheap on Steam and they still hold interest. it is amongst the better overhead shooty games that came out on Steam last year or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Shadowgrounds and its sequel are like $3 a piece during any big Steam sale so I'd advice you to hold on to your wallets. Really fun games though.