Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

sugar & spice & psychoactive mushrooms
Scout Company is the best company. :mexico:

How did that even HAPPEN, anyway? Was it one of those freak incidences where they found a chink in the armor and mass-fire just wrecked the drat thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rivensteel
Mar 30, 2010
Did the Hunchback pilot take damage that round? Combat log says pilot hit, but the mechwarrior status says ok.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Rivensteel posted:

Did the Hunchback pilot take damage that round? Combat log says pilot hit, but the mechwarrior status says ok.

If the cockpit was hit, and the pilot had to roll to remain conscious, then he should have suffered 1 wound.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

Polaron posted:

Also, I thought the Zhukov's weaponry was locked facing away from me?

It was locked facing 1213, yes, but your Front fire arc is the three hex arc where your weapons are facing. You wandered in front of its turret. In 1013, say, only the (front mounted) SRMs would have been able to hit you. In 1012, where SFU was, but which you couldn't reach as I recall, the Zhukov had nothing to bring to bear.

anakha posted:

Wouldn't moving to 1110 put Stumpy in range of the SRM carrier as well?

Technically, but it's behind a building and has no turret, so there's no threat this round from the SRM Carrier.

E: But because of the intervening rough terrain caused by the wrecks, Stubby can't get to 1110.

Someone should really blow up that SRM Carrier's cover so it can be plinked at range.

The Merry Marauder fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Mar 3, 2011

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Arquinsiel posted:

The best part is that the bog standard MG on a mech is fluffed as being the good old M1919 Browning .30 cal.....

Yes, the "1919" means exactly what you think it does.

No, it didn't stop the dumbassery.

Of course it doesn't help that other places have claimed it's the .50 cal M2 Browning MG either, and that's an earlier design....
That's not entirely true about the M1919 being a later design than the M2. The M1919 is essentially an air-cooled version of the (water-cooled) M1917, which itself was an evolution of designs by Browning with patents dating back to 1890. In addition, the M2 was actually introduced into service in 1921. All have that common history dating back to the end of the 19th century, however.

Personally, I prefer to believe that the mech-mounted MGs are bigass .50-cal miniguns (or at least roughly equivalent given individual manufacturer differences) using crazy futuristic AP ammo.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Close enough for government work.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
Aw man, this is looking bad. Let's hope for a head hit: there's still the possibility someone will be knocked out by a lucky shot.

Capellans, now's the time to switch to hit and run tactics! Mechs can't storm the hostage compounds and infantry can't approach them while there's still mechs around. And for the love of Chancellor, do not lose the Vindicator!

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."
Hahaha, Bunny, you magnificent bastard, you can get to 1105, behind the SRM Carrier where nothing can hit you and blow the poo poo out of it! Well played, sir.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

The Merry Marauder posted:

Hahaha, Bunny, you magnificent bastard, you can get to 1105, behind the SRM Carrier where nothing can hit you and blow the poo poo out of it! Well played, sir.

And I can use my Justice foot on it!

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
Good turn, now it's down to that Vindicator really.

Oh, and unrelated news that makes me giddy is that the new introduction box is available for preorder at catalyst game labs, with boxes in transit according to them!

LeschNyhan
Sep 2, 2006

anakha posted:

Wouldn't moving to 1110 put Stumpy in range of the SRM carrier as well?

Isn't the SRM carrier's LOS blocked by that building? Says it's two high.

edit: whoop, missed some of the posts on this page. Also noticed the foot of justice plan, which would be a good concurrent plan.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Agent Interrobang posted:

Scout Company is the best company. :mexico:

How did that even HAPPEN, anyway? Was it one of those freak incidences where they found a chink in the armor and mass-fire just wrecked the drat thing?

30 crazed Mexicans with more explosives than you can shake a stick at swarmed the drat tank and shoved satchel charges everywhere. Hardly a freak incident that the tank is wrecked by that.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

I can NOT believe that drat Goblin survived that. Five hits, any one of which would've killed it and all hit in exactly the right spots for it to survive. Screw it, we can come back for it.

Gonna be moving to 1115 this turn. Hm. Range 10 on both mechs with 1 light woods in the way, so that's.. 9s on either. Or I think I've got 5s on the building at 1205 and can put enough firepower downfield to theoretically demolish it. Could go either way depending on if bunny's going for the SRM Carrier or not.

Tactical advice: CHAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGE!

Unfortunately the destroyed Warhammer at 1113 counts as Rough, so the Hunchback can't QUITE get into short range this turn. Next turn though! That'll end the bastards for sure.

Sir gently caress You can totally put a boot into the SRM Carrier's side, though. Do it man! Plus you'll be in prime position to get behind them next turn, and there's a building in the way providing you cover this turn.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Ummmm, will rushing the Hunchback face first into those two mechs really work? Sounds awfully exposed...

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Dolash posted:

Ummmm, will rushing the Hunchback face first into those two mechs really work? Sounds awfully exposed...

It's a Hunchback.

That's what it DOES.

He'll take a bunch of fire this turn, probably. But when you've got an AC20 and they've got a PPC, what else can you do? Hunchie's not fast enough to flank through the woods, there's not much cover and he's gotta get in close. Anybody have an alternate idea about where to put the deathcannon? I could be missing something, but there doesn't seem a practical other move.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I'm gonna move my sapper to 1306 and pyrotechnic D4. The pilot is injured whihc may mean extra difficulty on the piloting roll.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.
Why not have your sapper take care of the infantry? There should be 5 left which is enough for you to auto kill them. That allows the TP and S3 to not worry about getting flamed.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Sir gently caress You could run and kick the SRM this turn. I think he'd be out of the firing arc for the enemy mechs as well.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

paragon1 posted:

Sir gently caress You could run and kick the SRM this turn. I think he'd be out of the firing arc for the enemy mechs as well.

Welcome to what we decided half a page ago.
:allears:

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Krumbsthumbs posted:

Why not have your sapper take care of the infantry? There should be 5 left which is enough for you to auto kill them. That allows the TP and S3 to not worry about getting flamed.

Good call. I thought we wiped em out already.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Polaron posted:

:stare:

This is a bad plan.

Also, I thought the Zhukov's weaponry was locked facing away from me?

They would, but one of your fellow 'Mechwarriors (Tempest_56) pointed something out to me.

These are the old firing arcs, from the game's first run on:

These are the fire arcs in total warfare (the version of the game we're running):

This is an (amazing) change to gameplay, opens up a lot of extra physical attack options, and simplifies the hit-charts slightly; so counter to my usual strategy of "implement it next game", I had to implement it immediately so Tempest_56 could take advantage of it and kick the Goblin.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

bunnyofdoom posted:

Welcome to what we decided half a page ago.
:allears:

Yeah...umm... didn't read the posts immediately after the update...

oops?

On the plus side, it looks like this scenario should be over in a few turns.

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"

Arquinsiel posted:

Orbital hot drop directly onto the city then.

Cold-war era radar installations and sea-mounted radars and satellite-mounted sensors pick up the hot-drop, surface-to-air fire from ground installations and Aegis cruisers and air-to-air engagement from every scrambled fighter on the east coast tear them apart before they even knew what the gently caress hit them.

Only in a completely :downs: military environment does hot-dropping combat units from orbit make even a goddamn shred of sense. In our world, it's a great way to provide the enemy SAM crews and fighter crews with target practice.

The only possible way it works is if you've achieved total air superiority.

quote:

There's no way a cruise missile would be risked at that point, and the ground-attack aircraft would have a hard time of it if the mechs keep to the CBD.

Mechs... In a city...

Where infantry can move far, far more easily than the 'mechs.

Said infantry tend to be carrying things like LAW rockets, and can shoot from the 'mechs dead zones directly above it...

Oh, and combat engineers, who can rig the streets with a gently caress-ton of C4, blowing them out from under the 'mechs in an amazing fireball of gas main explosions, and/or dropping them into the sewers/subway tunnels.

And just plain batshit crazy guys can step out through a doorway while they're passing by and chuck a demo charge into the ankle joint...

UrbanMechs are not the kings of urban combat, they're the Emperor Nortons of urban combat. Fuckloads of infantry are the real kings of urban combat. Even under BTech rules this holds true, provided you've got the patience to manage an entire fuckload of infantry in a city.

Yeah, we'd take them apart more easily in a city than in open terrain. And in open terrain, we'd take them apart easily.

quote:

The best part is that the bog standard MG on a mech is fluffed as being the good old M1919 Browning .30 cal.....

Yes, the "1919" means exactly what you think it does.

No, it didn't stop the dumbassery.

Of course it doesn't help that other places have claimed it's the .50 cal M2 Browning MG either, and that's an earlier design....

Earlier or not, the M2 .50 is a far more powerful round than the .30. Either way, it's evidently clear that BattleMechs are, in fact, vulnerable to massed machine gun fire. Which is, oddly enough, what our early anti-tank strategies were - just shoot the drat thing enough and sooner or later some bullet will get somewhere the tank doesn't want it and bring to a grinding halt - you know, a TAC mobility kill. With .30s.

Helter Skelter posted:

Personally, I prefer to believe that the mech-mounted MGs are bigass .50-cal miniguns (or at least roughly equivalent given individual manufacturer differences) using crazy futuristic AP ammo.

Mech-MGs are, in my opinion, .50s. Light MGs are .30s, and HMG are either .50 miniguns or something more exotic which is approaching a (real-life) autocannon in nature.

Either way, the whole "21st century weapons don't do poo poo" is clearly just the line managers nerdraging about being called out on their game bullshit and applying word of god. gently caress it, we all know that a modern military would just tear the BattleTech world apart, just like we'd tear a World War II army apart.

Because BTech is WWII in space, of course. :P

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

Either way, the whole "21st century weapons don't do poo poo" is clearly just the line managers nerdraging about being called out on their game bullshit and applying word of god. gently caress it, we all know that a modern military would just tear the BattleTech world apart, just like we'd tear a World War II army apart.

The biggest reason for the blanket 'modern weapons don't do poo poo' was because every time it comes up it turns into a huge derailment of whatever else was going on. Since that's exactly what's happening, I'd also rather conversations stay clear of "modern technology vs. magic space technology."

VVVV Also not a good line of discussion. The answer is, of course, a Space Marine since they're not even remotely human anymore.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Mar 3, 2011

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Pretty much. Battlemechs are hillariously poo poo in practical terms. At best LAMs are a *potentially* useful niche unit, *if* we could get them to Macross levels of speed and agility.

[EDIT]FINE THEN!

Instead: Who would win in a fist fight, a Space Marine or a <REDACTED>?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Things like Macross still rely on bullshit to hide the fact that seeking missiles are just loving better than you.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Well, I was considering holding back a bit to wait for everyone else to catch up, but if FY is going for it, I sure as hell will, too. I'll be very careful to stay out of the launcher's way, so you can probably guess where exactly I'm moving.

Music of the Round Dick Dale's Misirlou

Poptarts, did you catch that we should be down to 5 I4 infantry?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I'm gonna see if I can punt the SRM carrier over the hill.

joneswt
Feb 22, 2011

Well you're a Caballero, so be sure to quick-draw and shoot it out of the air for maximum panache.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

bunnyofdoom posted:

I'm gonna see if I can punt the SRM carrier over the hill.

Hm. BTH 6. 72.22% chance of hitting.

You're so gonna whiff and fall over. That foot is just too lucky.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

This is an (amazing) change to gameplay, opens up a lot of extra physical attack options, and simplifies the hit-charts slightly; so counter to my usual strategy of "implement it next game", I had to implement it immediately so Tempest_56 could take advantage of it and kick the Goblin.

Ironically, it also meant I was in the Goblin's front arc instead of the right, severely cutting my chances of hitting the right side and killing it. Maybe I shouldn't have mentioned it!

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.
I forgot to mention this but kudos to those Zhukov gunners. They hit 9/10 times with those AC 10s. The Zhukov might not have put any mech out of the fight, but it certainly made its presence known. MvP? Probably not, but certainly a contributing member to the Death Commando attack.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Krumbsthumbs posted:

I forgot to mention this but kudos to those Zhukov gunners. They hit 9/10 times with those AC 10s. The Zhukov might not have put any mech out of the fight, but it certainly made its presence known. MvP? Probably not, but certainly a contributing member to the Death Commando attack.

Much more than the so-called Ace.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Krumbsthumbs posted:

I said it at the start of this fight and I meant it - Zhukovs are nasty bastards. And I'd say it's one of two competitors for MVP. Either the Zhukov or the god-damned Inferno missiles.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

joneswt posted:

Well you're a Caballero, so be sure to quick-draw and shoot it out of the air for maximum panache.

You're a Caballero. Quick draw and fire madly into the sky, hitting everything in the general radius of the target except for the target itself.

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

Tempest_56 posted:

Ironically, it also meant I was in the Goblin's front arc instead of the right, severely cutting my chances of hitting the right side and killing it. Maybe I shouldn't have mentioned it!

Vehicle attack direction arcs are not the same as mech ones, this is what helps to make them terrible. Firing arcs are the same but TO has optional ones that are different.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

PoptartsNinja posted:

The biggest reason for the blanket 'modern weapons don't do poo poo' was because every time it comes up it turns into a huge derailment of whatever else was going on. Since that's exactly what's happening, I'd also rather conversations stay clear of "modern technology vs. magic space technology."

Yeah, I've seen sperging of that sort when people on a forum I frequent were trying to write a BattleTech meets Tom Clancy's Ryanverse crossover. Oh the arguments they had on whether or not Abrams tanks and teen series fighters (F-14, F-15, F-16, F-18) could outfight Mechs. They did decide that the missiles fired by those fighters would qualify for TAG, but whether they would do any damage? :spergin:

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

GhostStalker posted:

Oh the arguments they had on whether or not Abrams tanks and teen series fighters (F-14, F-15, F-16, F-18) could outfight Mechs.

Probably yes, but you'd have to be really stupid to face them in a heads-on fight. Make a hot drop on top of White House and Capitol, take out the whole government and win the war within 15 minutes. Or if we run with the old Aerotech rules, just drop bombs on both buildings until they're gone. You'd need two fighters, lots of bombs and about half a minute of time (one round to drop from orbit to planetside maps, another to locate the appropriate mapsheet, one to drop the bombs). The toughest building possible is around 150CF (hit points) and that's trivial for almost anything that flies. It's like asking "who would win in a heads-on fight, US Army or Al Qaida?"

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
I don't know if this pertains to TW rules, but in older rulesets a mech with hands could rip an arm off of a destroyed enemy mech and use it as a club. Given that the Hunchback has hands, and may be passing over the destroyed Warhammer, perhaps he should stop and collect a trophy on his way past?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinguliten
Jan 8, 2007

Preechr posted:

I don't know if this pertains to TW rules, but in older rulesets a mech with hands could rip an arm off of a destroyed enemy mech and use it as a club. Given that the Hunchback has hands, and may be passing over the destroyed Warhammer, perhaps he should stop and collect a trophy on his way past?

Yeah, mech limbs only require one hand to wield right? I think I remember uprooting and using trees took two.
It is both badass and :ese:, which kind of is the same. :D
Bunny of doom jumping up and down on an sms carrier while the Hunchy tries it's best at Japanese flower arrangement by opening up holes with the AC20 and sticking in limbs from fallen foes into them.

• Locked thread