Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
reflir
Oct 29, 2004

So don't. Stay here with me.
Dementors are anthropomorphized instantiations of Rowling's actual IRL depression. The Patronus charm is very obviously applied cognitive behavioral therapy.

There are no coherent in-universe explanations for any of the other points raised.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Zore posted:

Worse, it was said both that they were multiplying due to the terror and fear that was spreading after book six and yet one of the few established things about them is they can't be destroyed. So you've got an ever increasing number of soul sucking monsters that can barely be held off by a fraction of a fraction of the human population. That's the real threat in these books, screw Voldemort the Dementors should be causing a near apocalypse.

Snape mentioned there were other ways (if only one) of fending off if not destroying a dementor on HBP, but it - like many other thigns - seemed to be dropped.

reflir
Oct 29, 2004

That is one possible interpretation. Here is the relevant quote:

HBP, The Unknowable Room posted:

Having wasted a lot of time worrying aloud about Apparition, Ron was now struggling to finish a viciously difficult essay for Snape that Harry and Hermione had already completed. Harry fully expected to receive low marks on his, because he had disagreed with Snape on the best way to tackle dementors, but he did not care: Slughorns memory was the most important thing to him now.

This could mean that there are different methods to tackle a dementor, or that there are different ways to perform a single method to tackle dementors (the Patronus charm; Harry would have written something based on his experiences whereas Snape would want to see definitions straight from the book. This mirrors their run-in over ghosts). As the second interpretation is congruent with what we're usually told about dementors I am inclined to favor it over the first.

reflir fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Mar 3, 2011

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I really should read this series again at some point. I haven't read it since the last book came out. Hopefully JKR comes out with a new series at some point. Although she really has no need to.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
Harry/Ron buddy cop series about their lives as Aurors
Gritty, noir-style series about the old Order of the Phoenix
The entire original series released from Crookshanks' point of view

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.

IRQ posted:

I'd love to know what irresponsible rear end in a top hat thought creating the dementors would be a good idea in the first place.
They're just so cute with their little hoods
/

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

My titan engine can kick your titan engine's ass.

Daric posted:

Harry/Ron buddy cop series about their lives as Aurors
Unfortunately, Rowling has stated that while she might write more in the Harry Potter universe, Harry's story is officially retired.

Daric posted:

That'd be an interesting change-up.

Daric posted:

:catstare:

reflir
Oct 29, 2004

Daric posted:

This already exists; The Order of the Phoenix is called the Grey Council and has Odin instead of Dumbledore, and Harry Potter is called Harry Dresden.

Blight
Jan 17, 2011
Would like to read about Harrys dad at Hogwarts. In that case Rowling have to make the things we already know from that time (the bullying of Snape) fit into it. Could be good.

Or when Voldemort first came to power. From James\Lily or Sirius point of view maybe.

Oh, and the life and lies of Albus Dumbledore!

njbeachbum
Apr 14, 2005

Daric posted:

I'd pay to read that. "I am so tired of that loving red headed monkey boy, how can he not see that his Rat is actually a human transformed. I think I am going to claw his nutsack while he sleeps...now where's Mrs. Norris? I want some tail..."

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.

reflir posted:

This already exists; The Order of the Phoenix is called the Grey Council and has Odin instead of Dumbledore, and Harry Potter is called Harry Dresden.

I'm reading Side Jobs literally right now.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

reflir posted:

That is one possible interpretation. Here is the relevant quote:

This could mean that there are different methods to tackle a dementor, or that there are different ways to perform a single method to tackle dementors (the Patronus charm; Harry would have written something based on his experiences whereas Snape would want to see definitions straight from the book. This mirrors their run-in over ghosts). As the second interpretation is congruent with what we're usually told about dementors I am inclined to favor it over the first.

It seems strange that a school would teach how to take down Dementors. Isn't that the equivalent of a real school teaching kids how to take down a cop?

Blight
Jan 17, 2011

GigaPeon posted:

It seems strange that a school would teach how to take down Dementors. Isn't that the equivalent of a real school teaching kids how to take down a cop?

They didn't learn it at school. Harry learned it secretly by Lupin and then thought the rest of the gang. The patronus charm was never a part of the education.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
They don't, Lupin taught it to Harry and he taught it to the DA. Then Harry busted it out during one of the exams and it was kind of a big deal for the examiner so it's obviously very rare for generic wizards to be able to do.

reflir
Oct 29, 2004

Be that as it may, there is still the fact of Snape setting them an essay that covers the best way of taking out a dementor, separate from Lupin teaching Harry the patronus charm.

GigaPeon posted:

There are several ways to respond here. The first is that at the point the Snape teaching about dementors part takes place, the Dementors have escaped Azkaban and are no longer under the control of the non-death eater ministry. It would therefore make sense to instruct the students in how to defeat them. The second is that even though Snape did cover dementors, it was in the theoretical way of DADA teaching, criticized in Order of the Phoenix in through the ineffectual Umbridge classes. He didn't actually make them perform the Patronus charm, he just made sure they knew that that was what they were supposed to do. It's the difference between knowing how and knowing that. The third is that security through obscurity (i.e., trying to somehow hide the information that the Patronus charm is the weakness in a dementor defence) is no security at all.

edit: And of course the analogy is inexact. It would be equivalent to a school teaching how to take out prison guards, if our prison guards differed substantially in their abilities from our policemen. Aurors are the cops of the wizarding world, and patronuses don't work on aurors!

reflir fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Mar 7, 2011

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
And by that stage Dumbledore is setting the curriculum, not the Ministry.

Dumbledore, cop killa~

big fat retard
Nov 11, 2003
I AM AN IDIOT WITH A COMPULSIVE NEED TO TROLL EVERY THREAD I SEE!!!! PAY NO ATTENTION TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY!!!

Blight posted:

Would like to read about Harrys dad at Hogwarts. In that case Rowling have to make the things we already know from that time (the bullying of Snape) fit into it. Could be good.

Or when Voldemort first came to power. From James\Lily or Sirius point of view maybe.

Oh, and the life and lies of Albus Dumbledore!

That would be AWESOME but J. K. Rowling would face the same problems that George Lucas did with the Star Wars prequels.

Harry Potter follows the classic hero's journey, has a story arc, and is about a single character's perspective into an entirely new world. This new world is full of mysteries to be solved, characters to fall in love with, and there's always more to learn about the setting.

Any Harry Potter prequel would not be able to recapture that magic, except for the "more to learn about the setting" part. Rowling would have to tell readers in advance that this is a book that is not a traditional Harry Potter novel, but takes place in the Harry Potter universe with some of the same characters. She would then have to specify what type of book she's writing.

Unlike Lucas, Rowling is a scholar in her field and I think she's more self-aware and doesn't have as much of an ego.

A Harry Potter prequel could have amazing characters (Rowling is an absolute genius when it comes to creating distinct characters that you care about), further flesh out an astonishingly creative and consistent fantasy world, broach on subjects which the original novels never fully addressed (or did a disservice to), and could generate some badass plots and character studies. But recapturing the original magic isn't possible.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Yeah if it was set at Hogwarts before the Harry Potter era it would be pretty much a wacky hijinks at magic school book. A book about all the crazy stuff that happened in the past could be pretty cool, the founding of Hogwarts, the Goblin wars/rebellion and the rise of Grindlewald and Dumbledore kicking his rear end could be good.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I kind of hope she keeps her promise and doesn't write any more in the Potterverse. It's a complete series, no need to beat it into the ground.

Blight
Jan 17, 2011
One thing I always wondered was when Dumbledore and Harry visit the house og Gaunt in HBP. They all speak parseltongue, so Harry understands it of course. But do Dumbledore? I find it weird that he didn't want Harry as a translator.

reflir
Oct 29, 2004

He understood parseltongue

http://www.accio-quote.org/articles/2007/0730-bloomsbury-chat.html posted:

Delailah: How does dumbledore understand parseltongue?
J.K. Rowling: Dumbledore understood Mermish, Gobbledegook and Parseltongue. The man was brilliant.

This seems rather hand-wavy to me, but there you go.

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

HIGH FIVE! I'M GAY TOO!!!!!!

Blight posted:

One thing I always wondered was when Dumbledore and Harry visit the house og Gaunt in HBP. They all speak parseltongue, so Harry understands it of course. But do Dumbledore? I find it weird that he didn't want Harry as a translator.

It's a language, so I always thought you could just learn it like any other language.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Ron learns to say a phrase in Parseltongue in Deathly Hallows.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I think Rowling was trying to create a parallel "lovely as hell childhood" to Harry's, and show that Voldemort reacted differently and made different choices. After all, Harry did a lot of things with magic that were "over the line" -- blowing up his aunt, etc.

Most of the stuff he did though was accidental.

Actually, that was the only thing he did, wasn't it?

Blight
Jan 17, 2011

Dickeye posted:

Most of the stuff he did though was accidental.

Actually, that was the only thing he did, wasn't it?

sectumsempra against Malfoy

njbeachbum
Apr 14, 2005

Blight posted:

sectumsempra against Malfoy

He uses the imperious curse against the Goblin in DH.

Speaking of the sectumsepra incident, Snape gives Harry detention for this but Dumbledore never mentions it to Harry. I mean this was a big loving deal! Harry used some pretty significant Dark Magic against Malfoy and Dumbledore doesn't even say anything to Harry about it? This strikes me as odd to say the least.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
He knows Harry feels pretty loving guilty about it and that Malfoy is trying to kill him and has only by luck not killed two students? Harry didn't know what the spell did when he used it and Malfoy used cruciatus didn't he?

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

reflir posted:

Be that as it may, there is still the fact of Snape setting them an essay that covers the best way of taking out a dementor, separate from Lupin teaching Harry the patronus charm.

I always took that as a giant hammer from the author that Snape was visibly on the good guys' side and trying to prepare the kids for bad poo poo that might go down. Since the patronus charm is 'rare' (even though simple bitches like Umbridge can do it, I guess, whatever. She can do a patronus charm but she can't drive off a bunch of centaurs ) I can see where Snape would disagree with Harry. :colbert:

I don't remember Harry feeling guilty at all for the Imperius charms.

Blight
Jan 17, 2011

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I always took that as a giant hammer from the author that Snape was visibly on the good guys' side and trying to prepare the kids for bad poo poo that might go down. Since the patronus charm is 'rare' (even though simple bitches like Umbridge can do it, I guess, whatever. She can do a patronus charm but she can't drive off a bunch of centaurs ) I can see where Snape would disagree with Harry. :colbert:

I don't remember Harry feeling guilty at all for the Imperius charms.

Not the imperius charm, that was necessary. But he did feel bad about the sectumsempra.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
The loving worst is Jason Isaacs in the second movie going "Avada..." right after Harry frees Dobby, but then is stopped by Dobby.

He was going to outright murder Harry Potter, in a school corridor, with hundreds of people in rooms nearby, and loving DUMBLEDORE about 30 metres away. At this point he didn't even know the Dark Lord would return, thus Harry was no threat, and Lucius had to keep up a respectable front to the rest of wizard society. But nope, kid is being a brat, house-elf freed, welp, murder time! :downs:

The scriptwriter should be punched in the loving face for that.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Hedrigall posted:

The loving worst is Jason Isaacs in the second movie going "Avada..." right after Harry frees Dobby, but then is stopped by Dobby.

He was going to outright murder Harry Potter, in a school corridor, with hundreds of people in rooms nearby, and loving DUMBLEDORE about 30 metres away. At this point he didn't even know the Dark Lord would return, thus Harry was no threat, and Lucius had to keep up a respectable front to the rest of wizard society. But nope, kid is being a brat, house-elf freed, welp, murder time! :downs:

The scriptwriter should be punched in the loving face for that.

Haha, that's exactly how I felt when I saw this scene. Probably the dumbest and most mindboggling "did the guy read and understand the story?" moment in the movie adaptions.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I figure the Patronus is difficult to use against massed Dementors(Once they get their mindscrew into your head, good luck summoning up the joy to Patronus with), so presumably Snape's method might actually work better than the more 'action-heroey' Patronus.

Figure a Mind Blank potion would be ace for letting you fight Dementors the usual way.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Also Snape thinks all the students with rare exceptions are morons and using the Patronus curse is advance magic. Harry also knew that Snape would give him bad marks no matter what he said since he is that petty. I am sure it also had to be nonverbal as that seemed to be the major theme of his class that year and would make it easier to get past them with out bring to much attention to yourself. Snape always seemed to prefer using cunning then just attacking like a Patronus does.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
Way I saw it he thinks ALL the students are morons.

Some are just more salvagable and might grow into non-morons one day.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

veekie posted:

Way I saw it he thinks ALL the students are morons.

Some are just more salvagable and might grow into non-morons one day.

The Slitherens are not and he used to think Malfoy was okay.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
Hard to think much of the dunce duo though. Favorite house or not.

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

thebardyspoon posted:

Yeah if it was set at Hogwarts before the Harry Potter era it would be pretty much a wacky hijinks at magic school book. A book about all the crazy stuff that happened in the past could be pretty cool, the founding of Hogwarts, the Goblin wars/rebellion and the rise of Grindlewald and Dumbledore kicking his rear end could be good.

Honestly I'd be pretty excited if she just wrote "A History of Magic" or "Hogwarts: A History." Also I never understood why Harry would think wizarding history would be boring, except comedy value "kids hate history" stuff. I'd read the poo poo out of a wizarding history book!

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

"Harry needed desperately to listen to this boring lecture about the the Goblin/Dragon/Werewolf vs. Orc/Giant/Kraken Wars but he couldn't take his mind off blahblahblah..."

No Harry sit the gently caress down and pay the gently caress attention you unappreciative prole.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I think it's mostly because Professor Binns was such a crappy teacher that he could make any subject boring. He was so bad, in fact, that he killed all his potential replacements' interest in wizard history!

EDIT: I am tempted to write a terrible fanfic about a brash young professor who tries to shake up the history curriculum, much to Binns' (and a certain ferrety Slytherin's) consternation.

Pththya-lyi fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Mar 10, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

Pththya-lyi posted:

I think it's mostly because Professor Binns was such a crappy teacher that he could make any subject boring. He was so bad, in fact, that he killed all his potential replacements' interest in wizard history!
Its what happens when you get tenure and you're undead.

• Locked thread