Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PDMChubby
Feb 2, 2007

Mistletoe Donkey, I'm pleased to give you Pierrot Le Fou.

L.A. Confidential, while having it's full share of clichés and unoriginality, was pretty drat good. Its characters are what make the film what it is; despite being a hair short of overused archetype almost always, it still manages to be entertaining. They way the characters interact and change roles often is the most enjoyable part of this film's experience, for me. The acting and writing aren't top-of-the-line, perhaps, but they're certainly good enough to keep you invested in a pretty trite and unimpressive plot.

List:

1. To Have and Have Not - All the trappings of greatness!

2. Three Colors: Blue - Curious about this trilogy, seems to be highly regarded so I'm looking forward to it

3. La Notte - Oh boy, I love L'avventura!

4. Midnight Cowboy - I'm a little unenthusiastic about this one, but it's probably near-essential

5. *NEW* Spirited Away - I figure I'll mix it up a bit with some animation

6. Napoléon - I have this on my computer and I'm pretty excited about it but someone is definitely going to have to force me to watch a five-and-a-half-hour silent because holy gently caress

7. E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial - I hated this movie as a child but everyone has seen it and many people like it so maybe I was just a dick (I was)

8. Sideways - Paul Giamatti and Thomas Haden Church? I'm already uncomfortable. Also, I'm not sure I'll like this

9. Night and Fog - I need more documentaries under my belt so why not a Resnais? It sounds fairly intriguing

10. The Green Mile - People in this thread seem to be underwhelmed with this lately; I'll probably be in that boat

Watched:

Dawn of the Dead - 3/5; Adaptation - 5/5; Sullivan's Travels - 3/5; Touch of Evil - 4/5; Once Upon a Time in the West - 4/5; Boogie Nights - 4/5; Almost Famous - 5/5; Hiroshima Mon Amour - 4/5; City of God - 4/5; The Treasure of the Sierra Madre - 3/5; Brazil - 5/5; Sunset Boulevard - 5/5; The Conversation - 3/5; Trainspotting - 3/5; L.A. Confidential - 4/5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Worst of all, despite many deaths it's an incredibly sanitized depiction of war.

That's pretty par for the course for the era, with the exception of the exemplary Battleground, A Walk in the Sun, and Attack.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
PDMChubby, you get Napoléon just so I'm not alone in having to watch hours and hours of movie on one pick.

----------

MariusLecter posted:

[Lord Of The Rings]
Get this out of the way before you die a spiteful nerd guy who likes fantasy stuff.

The funny thing about that is that I have never been a fantasy guy or even interested in that type of stuff. It reminds me of when I was growing up and people would see me loving around, for most of the day, on the computer. They would always say "hey, you really like computers...you ought to be a computer programmer!". What? No, those are two separate things.

The Lord Of The Rings: I now understand why this is so beloved by alot of people. It feels just like a kid's movie (story/dialogue/music) and I don't mean that in a snooty type of way. It looked beautiful and the quality of actors they were able to put together is stunning. That said, it didn't pull me in.

The Fellowship Of The Ring: This was my favorite of the series. It was interesting, tightly put together and lighthearted. Liv Tyler felt miscasted though. Made me think that maybe I was wrong to put these movies off for as long as I did. Gave it a 70/100 on Criticker.

The Two Towers: And this movie confirmed that I wasn't. The whole thing felt like filler and I wasn't surprised to find out (after the fact) that the original plan was to make two movies. I did like the Gollum subplot but I loving hated that they made the dwarf into the comic relief. :ughh: at the elf surfing a shield down the stairs while shooting arrows. And the siege reminded me of Army Of Darkness. Gave it a 67/100 on Criticker.

Return Of The King: They were unable to get me back with this one. Gollum became alot less interesting. The whole fire pyre scene was retarded I was bored throughout but it was better than The Two Towers. It seemed disjointed and the ending went on for way too long. Gave it a 69/100 on Criticker.

----------

My list:

The Seven Samurai: I rented this one from Blockbuster Online a few years ago. Tried to watch it at 3 in the morning and fell asleep. Thought the picture looked lovely and I decided to wait for the HD-DVD Blu-Ray instead of holding up one of my BBO slots to watch the movie later.

City Lights: I have never watched a Chaplin movie and I have heard this is his best.

8 1/2: Mix the reasons for The Seven Samurai/The Seventh Seal (It sounds lovely but "deep" movies tend to intimidate me before I force myself to sit through them.) together and you'll have the reason why I haven't watched 8 1/2 yet.

Back To The Future: I think I seen part of 2 on tv (is that the one with the hoverboard scene?) but I have never felt the need to track this down.

Dazed And Confused: Sitting on my shelf, waiting for me to watch it. Bought this when HD-DVD died. Remember seeing part of it on TV and I enjoyed it.

*new* The Maltese Falcon: Never got around to watching it. I've seen three Bogart movies so far (Treasure Of Sierra Madre was one of the greatest films I have ever seen, In A Lonely Place I liked, Casablanca I didn't) but I have never been a big noir fan.

Aguirre: The Wrath of God: I went through a big Herzog kick a few years ago but stopped before I watched this movie. Why I didn't watch Aguirre before his remake of Nosferatu is beyond me.

Lawrence of Arabia: Waiting for the Blu-Ray but I do have a HD copy on my DVR.

Annie Hall: Haven't watched any Woody Allen yet and this one is sitting on my DVR.

Solaris: I haven't seen any Andrei Tarkovsky yet.

Woodstock: No excuse for this one. I own it on Blu-Ray, I've watched some of the song outtakes but I've never sat down and watched the whole thing. The runtime always make me grab a different movie over this one.

Watched: The Seventh Seal (83/100), The Man With No Name Trilogy (79/100 - 80/100 - 79/100), Once Upon A Time In The West (79/100), Alien (69/100), The Lord Of The Rings Trilogy (70/100 - 67/100 - 69/100)

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Mar 2, 2011

Dukket
Apr 28, 2007
So I says to her, I says “LADY, that ain't OIL, its DIRT!!”

Sporadic posted:

... but I loving hated that they made the dwarf into the comic relief. :ughh: at the elf surfing a shield down the stairs while shooting arrows.

Yeah, this enraged me. Not nerd rage - I didn't read the books until after I saw the first movie and felt that they did a pretty good job over al. I enjoyed the books and movies but I don't go ape poo poo for them. I just don't understand why they did these two things, they don't fit with the feel of the movies. Perhaps these were Jackson's Ewoks, something for kids. Cuz dwarves are funny.

TenSpadesBeTrump
Oct 22, 2010
Sporadic, I want to make you watch every one of those movies, but I'll have to settle for Annie Hall.

Opening Night delivered another stunning performance by Gena Rowlands. She is at once grating, charming and incomprehensible. The haunting subplot was out of place, but thankfully it was dropped as soon as it started to get out of control. I'm not quite sure what to make of the final performance. Were Rowlands and Cassavetes going off script? They seemed to be playing up the laughs, even though it was established that the play was not a comedy, and left littel room for improvisation. 5/5.

The Death of Mr. Lazarescu
I saw bits of this a few years ago, and have been wanting to see the whole thing for a while.
Europa
I've seen almost all of Lars von Trier's work besides The Idiots (unfortunately not available on Netflix) and this.
Bed and Board
The continuing adventures of Antoine Doinel.
Code Unknown
Haneke is a wacky guy.
Vernon, Florida
I will eat my shoe if this documentary isn't good.
Slacker
I think I started this once.
Seven Chances
I own the complete Keaton box set, so why haven't I seen them all?
Hearts and Minds
I always confuse this with Night and Fog
Night of The Living Dead
What is wrong with me? I should have seen this a long time ago.
Notorious
It's on a lot of lists.

Not ashamed anymore: Lawrence of Arabia 4.5/5, The Battle of Algiers 2/5, Toy Story 2 3.5/5, Sherman's March 3.5/5, His Girl Friday 4/5, Last Year at Marienbad 3/5, M 4/5, Stolen Kisses 3/5, The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp 4/5, Lost Highway 4/5, Gates of Heaven 3/5, Downfall 4/5, Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid 4/5, Grizzly Man 4/5, Wings of Desire 2/5, Z 3/5, A Shot in the Dark 2.5/5, Toy Story 3 4.5/5, The Fountain 4/5, Inland Empire 2/5, The Wild Bunch 4/5, Hunger 4.5/5, The Green Mile 3.5/5, The Ballad of Cable Hogue 4/5, A Woman Under the Influence 5/5, La Dolce Vita 4/5, Das Boot 4.5/5, Camera Buff 4.5/5, The Red Shoes 4.5/5, The Rules of the Game 3.5/5, Persona 4.5/5, Black Narcissus 2.5/5, The Battleship Potemkin 3.5/5, Departures 4/5, The Wages of Fear 4.5/5, Werckmeister Harmonies, 4/5, Blazing Saddles 1.5/5, Pickpocket 4/5, McCabe and Mrs. Miller 5/5, Le Cercle Rouge 4/5, Night and Fog ?/5, Opening Night 5/5

bluefire579
Dec 12, 2009
TenSpades, though Night of the Living Dead seems the obvious choice, I'm going to give you Notorious. I'm a sucker for Hitchcock movies and this is a good one.

Finally got to see Evil Dead 2, and really, there's little I can say beyond it's everything I expected. Having somehow skipped it and seen the first and Army of Darkness, I'd put it somewhere in between the two. The first movie rubbed me the wrong way for whatever reason, I just didn't find it near as good as Army of Darkness. This is what Evil Dead 1 should have been and as I already knew from Army of Darkness, Sam Raimi knows how to do over-the-top very well. 8/10

My List:

Girl with the Dragon Tattoo: It's not that I have an aversion to subtitles, but with the English version coming out soon, it's just seemed easier to wait thus far

Boys Don't Cry: I have a list of Oscar-nominated movies I still need to see, this is on it

The Devil's Backbone: I really enjoyed Pan's Labyrinth, just have not gotten around to seeing this one

A Soldier's Story: This was recommended to me by a family friend a while back, but I've never gotten around to it

Three...Extremes: Asian horror intrigues me after seeing a lot of interesting ideas ruined by Hollywood

Hoop Dreams: I guess I never saw this one because it was before my time and I never really heard much about it

Malcolm X: There are few Spike Lee movies I've seen that I haven't enjoyed. This is one I haven't seen.

The Passion of Joan of Arc: From what I've heard, a must-see classic

The Cove: Documentaries tend to get lost in the shuffle when I watch movies for Oscar season

Exit Through the Gift Shop: Same as the Cove

Watched: Thin Blue Line 8/10, Let the Right One In 9/10, Evil Dead 2 8/10

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

Posting this so I can find my last post in this thread.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Bluefire, you get Exit Through The Gift Shop. I just watched it and it's awesome.

Well, it felt like it took forever but I finally sat down to watch Once Upon a Time in the West. And to boot I also watched The Elephant Man.

The Elephant Man - This was magnificent. I can honestly say I've become obsessed with Lynch lately, and I'm not sure if that's a good thing. Regardless this movie is brilliantly acted and oddly some of the hardest scenes to watch are those where Merrick is finally treated like a real person, you just feel all the emotions he must be. The whole movie is just so tragic but amazing. On another note, I think I'll give Eraserhead another shot. 9/10

Once Upon A Time In The West - This was great. Honestly, I still prefer The Good, The Bad & The Ugly but I loved this nonetheless. It certainly feels more connected than TGTB&TU does, and Charles Bronson is always a pleasure to watch. Ennio Morricone has to be my all time favorite film composer, everything he does here is amazing. Definitely ranks above For A Few Dollars More, but I still feel there's something TGTB&TU has that this one steers away from. I don't want to say it lacks anything because it certainly doesn't, it's just very different from everything else Leone had done before, and that's a good thing. 9/10

#25 The Magnificent Seven - Might as well watch the Americanized version now. Plus I love Eli Wallach, Steve McQueen and Charles Bronson.

#31 Labyrinth - Is this a movie that had to be a part of your childhood to really love (such as The Goonies) or will I still enjoy it regardless? Either way, David Bowie.

#37 Rebecca - A Hitchcock film I didn't really even know existed til I got into classic films. I know absolutely nothing else about this one.

#39 The Rules Of The Game - It's held strong onto #3 in the TSPDT Top 1000 for a long time, although I honestly don't know anything else about it other than that it's French.

#43 Rosemary's Baby - I've been meaning to watch this for literally years.

#44 Dog Day Afternoon - Pacino at his prime.

#45 Persona - Bergmanbergmanbergmanbergmanbergman.

#46 The 400 Blows - In a row?

#47 Moon - I really want to watch this, but keep avoiding it for some reason.

#48 City Of God - I don't know anything about it other than that it takes place in Brazil. But I feel like I'll enjoy it.

Seen so far:
Pan's Labyrinth, The Wild Bunch, The Warriors, Chinatown, Dr. Strangelove, American History X, Barton Fink, Apocalypse Now, Eraserhead, The Maltese Falcon, Annie Hall, Who's Afraid Of Virginia Woolf?, Casablanca, M, Seven Samurai, Terminator 2: Judgement Day, The Godfather, The Seventh Seal, Mulholland Drive, 2001: A Space Odyssey, The Silence Of The Lambs, Pee-Wee's Big Adventure, Butch Cassidy And The Sundance Kid, Wild Strawberries, High Fidelity, Goldfinger, The Bicycle Thief, The Thing, Bonnie And Clyde, There Will Be Blood, 8½, Spirited Away, The Big Sleep, A Fish Called Wanda, The Man Who Wasn't There, 12 Angry Men, The Elephant Man, Once Upon A Time In The West

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

TrixRabbi: You get The 400 Blows. It is one of my favorite films, hopefully you enjoy it.

So, after the disaster of receiving two broken "What Time is it There" dvd's from netflix, coupled with not much free time to begin with, I have decided to once again brave this thread. It may take me a while, but I will do my best.

Here is my list:

Scent of Green Papaya - I've never seen a Tran film. That needs to change. I'm not sure if this is out on DVD/Blu-Ray, though. Leaving it here just in case.

Billy Liar - Want to explore more of the Angry Young Man film scene (I've only see Lonliness of the Long Distance Runner). Figure this is as good a place to start as any.

Yi Yi - I know it's from a Taiwanese filmmaker, and people seem to love it. That's about it.

Jeanne Dielman, 23 Quai du Commerce, 1080 Bruxelles - Sounds like it is right up my alley, and stars my now realized screen crush Delphine Seyrig.

Spring Summer Fall Winter and Spring - Haven't seen a Kim Ki-Duk film, and I don't think I want to start with The Isle.

4 Months, 3 Weeks, and 2 Days - Guess it is time to take that horrible plunge into Romanian film.

The Piano Teacher - Love some Haneke films, not so much with his other films. Let's hope this is the former.

After the Wedding - Want to see some Susanne Bier. If someone else has a better starting film, I'm open to that as well.

The Man Without a Past - Same with Bier, I have never seen a Kaurismaki film. Again, if you want to recommend a better starting film, I'm all ears.

Trust - I don't know how I managed to never see a Hal Hartly film. Like as above, if there is a better starting place, recommend it.

Seen because of this thread: The Sweet Hereafter (3/5); Elephant (3.5/5); Dogville (4/5, one scene made me laugh harder than any movie in a long time); The New World (5/5); In the Bedroom (3.5/5).

Mistletoe Donkey
Jan 26, 2009
VoodooFly, watch Billy Liar. It's outstanding.

Pierrot Le Fou was an impressive piece of cinema. I loved how Godard crammed every theme that was rattling around in his head and put it into this film. I loved this more than Breathless, which I liked as well. The Vietnam reenactment scene was probably the highlight for me, but there are so many other part of this movie I could talk about. Just brilliant.

1) Frankenstein- back to the Universal Monsters, I hope this is better than Dracula
2) The Asphalt Jungle- love those heist films
3) Sleeper- I've somehow missed this Woody Allen film
4) Army of Shadows- I've loved every Melville movie I've seen and I don't expect this to be any different
5) The Friends of Eddie Coyle- owned this for a while, but never gotten around to it
6) All The President's Men- all of the investigative journalism, none of the Russell Crowe
7) 2046- loved In the Mood For Love, never got to this, it's sister film
8) Old Boy- I've owned this for too long without watching it, even though I'm sure I'll love it
9) Steamboat Bill, Jr.- so far I've liked The General the best from my Chaplin/Keaton viewings, I'm ready to see some of Keaton's other stuff
10) Shane- this is another stop on my way to the Searchers, hope I like it as much as penismightier does

Watched: Blade Runner, Seven Samurai, Lawrence of Arabia, Alien, Breathless, Forbidden Planet, Night of the Living Dead, Days of Heaven, Bonnie and Clyde, Stagecoach, Once Upon a Time in the West, Blue Velvet, Bullet in the Head, The Shining, Jackie Brown, Mulholland Drive, The Godfather Part 2, The Right Stuff, The Big Sleep, My Darling Clementine, The Seventh Seal, Le Samourai, Vertigo, Le Cercle Rouge, Dog Day Afternoon, Double Indemnity, Requiem for a Dream, Singin' In The Rain, Serpico, 8 1/2, The General, Dracula, She Wore A Yellow Ribbon, Solaris, Brazil, City Lights, Aguirre the Wrath of God, The Day The Earth Stood Still, Planet of the Apes, 12 Monkeys, The Gold Rush, The Getaway, Dawn of the Dead, The Dirty Dozen, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, Zodiac, Chinatown, Memories of Murder, The Insider, The Thing From Another World, The Thing, The Wrath of Khan, Pierrot Le Fou

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
Mistletoe Donkey - you get Old Boy. You might want to watch this one by yourself, it's pretty brutal.

After many months of distraction (we had a baby, woo!) I finally watched There Will Be Blood this afternoon. Daniel Day Lewis was frightening in his portrayal of a focused oilman, and I think I need to see it again to really appreciate all the nuances. His spiral was incredible and kind of hard to grasp.

I have seen many movies in the past few months, most that were going to be on my list (Singin' In The Rain and Hannah & Her Sisters, among others) and a few from my list:

Tropic Thunder - pretty lame, not very funny, and the best parts were Matthew McConaughey's film agent.

Once Upon A Time In The West - much more interesting than I expected it to be. I cared more for the damsel in distress than I thought I would, and the cast was simply incredible. And it was funny! Didn't expect that.

My (still) shameful list:

1) A Serious Man - it's the only movie nominated for Best Picture from 2009 that I didn't see. I have an Academy screener of it sitting next to my TV.

2) Treasure of the Sierra Madre - I really know nothing about this film, except it stars Bogie, and I have seen too little of his work. I did record this on my DVR but had to erase it for space, which shamed me even more.

3) Nosferatu - I own it. I should really see it someday.

4) Errol Flynn's Robin Hood - My friends gave me crap for this a year ago. It has just never been something I considered a must-see, until I was told otherwise.

5) Lady Vengeance - I've seen the other two films in the trilogy, and I even had this from Netflix for a while, but I never got around to watching it. I'd also add Thirst to this since I was unable to see it when it got it's very limited release here in the US.

6) The Lives of Others - I have been told this is a must-watch, and considering it won the Oscar over Pan's Labyrinth (not to mention I've rented this a few times without getting around to watching it) I am ashamed to have not seen it yet. I am even more ashamed about it as I have had a disc of this from Netflix for months now, and just haven't watched it.

7) Body Heat - I love William Hurt, and Kathleen Turner from that era just can't be beat. I've always wanted to see this, I just never got around to it.

8) Lawrence of Arabia - this is currently taking up 4 hours of HD programming on my DVR, and I would love a push to watch it.

9) The Outlaw Josey Wales - This was one of my father's favorite movies, and I was on a roll with Clint Eastwood westerns.

10) True Grit - I really liked the remake, and I would love to see the original Rooster. I've never been a big John Wayne fan, but this might change all that. It's also taking up valuable HD space on my DVR.

Finally watched: The Good, The Bad and The Ugly, The Music Man, Goodfellas, Paths of Glory, Let The Right One In, Volver, Vertigo, City of God, Fistful of Dollars, Bridge on the River Kwai, Flesh+Blood, Shaft, Casablanca, Modern Times, RoboCop, Dolemite, Moon, The Birds, There Will Be Blood, Tropic Thunder, Once Upon A Time In The West

bluefire579
Dec 12, 2009
VorpalBunny, you can have Robin Hood, a great adventure movie. (Sorry for the delay)

Watched Exit Through the Gift Shop, and it was interesting, good but not great. The most redeeming factor was of course giving me a look into the street art scene that I had never had a chance to get before. The part I connected most with, however, was not with anything involving actual art, but in the first half when it talks about the filmmaker taking videos of everything, then simply packing the videos away for fear that he will never feel the same about whatever happened on the tapes. I'm not sure why, but I found that part very meaningful. 7/10

My List:

Girl with the Dragon Tattoo: It's not that I have an aversion to subtitles, but with the English version coming out soon, it's just seemed easier to wait thus far

Boys Don't Cry: I have a list of Oscar-nominated movies I still need to see, this is on it

The Devil's Backbone: I really enjoyed Pan's Labyrinth, just have not gotten around to seeing this one

A Soldier's Story: This was recommended to me by a family friend a while back, but I've never gotten around to it

Three...Extremes: Asian horror intrigues me after seeing a lot of interesting ideas ruined by Hollywood

Hoop Dreams: I guess I never saw this one because it was before my time and I never really heard much about it

Malcolm X: There are few Spike Lee movies I've seen that I haven't enjoyed. This is one I haven't seen.

The Cove: Documentaries tend to get lost in the shuffle when I watch movies for Oscar season

Antichrist: I've heard interesting things about this one

Watched: Thin Blue Line 8/10, Let the Right One In 9/10, Evil Dead 2 8/10, Exit Through the Gift Shop 7/10

bluefire579 fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Mar 4, 2011

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.

VorpalBunny posted:

Once Upon A Time In The West - much more interesting than I expected it to be. I cared more for the damsel in distress than I thought I would, and the cast was simply incredible. And it was funny! Didn't expect that.
I agree with your appraisal of the film, but to be honest I never really thought of her as a damsel in distress. Claudia Cardinale probably had my favorite role in any Sergio Leone film. Outside of being a prostitute, I think Jill's the closest Leone ever came to writing a good, solid, strong, overall positive female character. I can't think of any other female Leone characters who either weren't promiscuous or weren't raped, killed, and/or just marginalized or discarded.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Yo, bluefire579, fix your post. I already gave Mistletoe Donkey a movie.

Cheers. :cheers:

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

bluefire579, I watched Hoop Dreams for this thread and it was great so watch that.

Mephisto is an interesting take on the rise of Nazism, following an actor's rise to power through a mix of happenstance, talent and self delusion. Klaus Maria Brandauer gives a great performance, giving us a character who is at once sympathetic and frustrating to watch since for every good thing he does there's a spiteful or selfish action which makes one question just where the character's sympathies lie. Of course it eventually becomes apparent that he's just someone so obsessed with his art the he makes himself believe this is the path to success despite the many warning signs, just as much of Germany did in the late 30s. It's funny because my reactions to his choices kept alternating, between "get out of there you fool" and "I guess things are working out," which makes me question just what I'd do in such a situation. It's easy to say in retrospect I'd get the hell out of there, but the film does a good job of showing how a mix of complacency and positive expectations can make one ignore otherwise obvious warning signs. The ending is very fitting and the ambiguity is better than the alternatives.

Updated list:

Coal Miner's Daughter Is this actually any good? It's one of those films whose name sounds familiar but I can't really place the context in which I've heard it referenced.

La grande guerra I get the feeling this is one of those overlooked classics.

Yeelen I've seen very few African films, this one seems highly regarded and the imdb summary sounds cool.

Barbarella I don't often watch movies for camp value but this is one I've been curious about.

Die freudlose Gasse I need some more Garbo in my life.

Cabiria I've heard that this is the first great silent film, and after seeing it mentioned by Scorsese I guess I need to see it.

Manila in the Claws of Neon I have no idea what to expect from this, I've never seen a movie from the Philippines though, and this seems to be the one to watch.

Fast, Cheap & Out of Control Another doc for the list.

D.O.A. One of those noirs I really need to see.

Offret Six months now I've been saying, I'll watch it this weekend. Still haven't seen it.

For the hell of it, here's what I've seen so far:
Last Tango In Paris 7.5/10 , Lola Montes 8.5/10 , First Blood 8.5/10 , Lolita 8.5/10 , The New World 8.5/10 , The Decalogue 9.5/10 , Neotpravlennoye pismo 10/10 , A Passage to India 8.5/10 , Yi-Yi 8.5/10 , The Last Emperor 7.5/10 , In a Year with 13 Moons 8.5/10 , The Big Red One 8.5/10 , Les Vampires 9.5/10 , Ballad of a Soldier 9.5/10 , Chelsea Girls 7.5/10 , Kin-Dza-Dza 9/10 , My Life as a Dog 8/10 , The Man who Fell to Earth 8/10 , Red Beard 8.5/10 , Satantango 9/10 , Napoleon 10/10 , Faces 9/10 , Godzilla 7/10, Olympia I 9.5/10 II 8.5/10 , Bad Day at Black Rock 9/10, Soy Cuba 9.5/10, Ossessione 8/10, Greed 10/10, Hoop Dreams 9.5/10, The Burmese Harp 9.5/10 , Éloge de l'amour 6.5/10 , Woodstock 7.5/10 , Die Nibelungen Siegfried 9/10 Kriemhild 8.5/10, Ceddo 10/10 , Wrath of Khan - 7/10 , Shoah 9/10 , City of Sadness 8.5/10, Fires on the Plain 9/10 , Berlin Alexanderplatz 9/10 , Heima 6.5/10 , Angels with Dirty Faces 8.5/10 , Juliet of the Spirits 7/10 Kings of the Road 8.5/10 , Farewell My Concubine 7.5/10 , Dodesukaden 10/10 , The Shootist 7/10 , Goodbye Lenin 9.5/10 , La hora de los hornos 9/10 , The Traveling Players 5/10 , Reds 9/10 , Werckmeister Harmonies 9/10 , Five Fingers of Death 8/10 , Dr. Mabuse: The Gambler 9/10 , Ong-bak 7.5/10 , The Devils 8.5/10 , Nostalghia 8/10 , Killer's Kiss 8.5/10 , Koyaanisqatsi 8.5/10 , Taegukgi hwinalrimyeo 9.5/10 , The Cove 9/10 , America, America 8.5/10 , Pour la suite du monde 5/10 , Lilja 4-ever 9/10 , The Cook the Thief His Wife & Her Lover 7/10 , Burma VJ 8.5/10 , The Testament of Dr. Mabuse 8.5/10 , Europa '51 9/10 , The Killers 9/10 , The Killers 7/10 , Pursued 8.5/10 , Pelle the Conqueror 8/10 , Brink of Life 9/10 , Fear and Desire 4/10 , The Naked Spur 6/10 , Stroszek 8.5/10 , Beau Travail 8/10 , Kanal 9/10 Field of Dreams 6/10 , Mishima 7/10 , Novecento 7/10 , A Face in the Crowd 9/10 , Floating Weeds 8.5/10, Heaven's Gate 8.5/10 , Days and Nights in the Forest 9/10 The War of The Worlds 6.5/10 , Fallen Angels 9/10 , The Crucified Lovers 8.5/10 , Sanxia haoren 8.5/10 , Fantomas 8.5/10 , The Ballad of Cable Hogue 9.5/10 , <---> 6/10 , The Devil and Daniel Webster 8.5/10 , Basic Instinct 8/10, Babette's Feast 5/10 , Wuthering Heights 8/10 , The Saragossa Manuscript 9.5/10 , The Public Enemy 7.5/10 , This Sporting Life 8.5/10 , A Nightmare on Elm Street 7/10 , Sans toit ni loi 9.5/10 Tales of Hoffman 7.5/10 , The Ten Commandments 7/10 , Underworld 8.5/10 , Showgirls 7/10 , La meglio gioventù 8/10 , Vidas Secas 7/10 , The Sorrow and the Pity 9/10 , The Human Condition I 9.5/10 , Russian Ark 8.5/10 , Brighton Rock 8.5/10 , Grey Gardens 9.5/10 , The Marriage of Maria Braun 9/10 , Tampopo 7/10 , Django 8.5/10 , Ballad of Narayama 8.5/10 , Baby Face 8/10 , David Holzman's Diary 8/10 , The Seventh Victim 8/10 , The Blue Kite 9/10 , Soylent Green 8/10 , Flesh and the Devil 9.5/10 , Branded to Kill 6.5/10 , The Golem 7.5/10 , A Personal Journey with Martin Scorsese Through American Movies 9.5/10 , Ryan's Daughter 7/10 , 8 Diagram Pole Fighter 8.5/10 , Fiddler on the Roof 7/10 , American Movie 9/10 , The Longest Day 6/10 , Mephisto 9/10

Peaceful Anarchy fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Mar 4, 2011

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Peaceful Anarchy, you get Barbarella. Although I wouldn't call it a good movie.

----------

Annie Hall. I had no idea what I was walking into with this one. The unconventional methods at the beginning (at least compared to other movies), put me off at first but after my brain finally started to walk in step with the movie, I enjoyed it. His overbearing style and overacting worked extremely well with the plot. I could write more but I won't. Gave it a 79/100 on Criticker.

----------

My list:

The Seven Samurai: I rented this one from Blockbuster Online a few years ago. Tried to watch it at 3 in the morning and fell asleep. Thought the picture looked lovely and I decided to wait for the HD-DVD Blu-Ray instead of holding up one of my BBO slots to watch the movie later.

City Lights: I have never watched a Chaplin movie and I have heard this is his best.

8 1/2: Mix the reasons for The Seven Samurai/The Seventh Seal (It sounds lovely but "deep" movies tend to intimidate me before I force myself to sit through them.) together and you'll have the reason why I haven't watched 8 1/2 yet.

Back To The Future: I think I seen part of 2 on tv (is that the one with the hoverboard scene?) but I have never felt the need to track this down.

Dazed And Confused: Sitting on my shelf, waiting for me to watch it. Bought this when HD-DVD died. Remember seeing part of it on TV and I enjoyed it.

The Maltese Falcon: Never got around to watching it. I've seen three Bogart movies so far (Treasure Of Sierra Madre was one of the greatest films I have ever seen, In A Lonely Place I liked, Casablanca I didn't) but I have never been a big noir fan.

Aguirre: The Wrath of God: I went through a big Herzog kick a few years ago but stopped before I watched this movie. Why I didn't watch Aguirre before his remake of Nosferatu is beyond me.

The Third Man: I bought it day one when it was released on Blu-Ray by Criterion but I have never gotten around to watching it. No real excuse. It just never crosses my mind when I go for a movie.

Solaris: I haven't seen any Andrei Tarkovsky yet.

Woodstock: No excuse for this one. I own it on Blu-Ray, I've watched some of the song outtakes but I've never sat down and watched the whole thing. The runtime always make me grab a different movie over this one.

Watched: The Seventh Seal (83/100), The Man With No Name Trilogy (79/100 - 80/100 - 79/100), Once Upon A Time In The West (79/100), Alien (69/100), The Lord Of The Rings Trilogy (70/100 - 67/100 - 69/100), Annie Hall (79/100)

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Sporadic, I don't think a Lawrence of Arabia BluRay is on the horizon, so go watch it. VorpalBunny, if bluefire579 doesn't give you something you can do the same.

Barbarella is not a good film, but it is a reasonably entertaining piece of camp. Jane Fonda is really pretty and her line delivery along with the general ridiculousness of the material gave me a lot of laughs. Also, while the plot has a million holes I can't help finding it particularly absurd that Barbarella's mission is to preserve piece in the galaxy and ends in wholesale extermination.

Updated list:

Coal Miner's Daughter Is this actually any good? It's one of those films whose name sounds familiar but I can't really place the context in which I've heard it referenced.

Yeelen I've seen very few African films, this one seems highly regarded and the imdb summary sounds cool.

Cabiria I've heard that this is the first great silent film, and after seeing it mentioned by Scorsese I guess I need to see it.

Manila in the Claws of Neon I have no idea what to expect from this, I've never seen a movie from the Philippines though, and this seems to be the one to watch.

Fast, Cheap & Out of Control Another doc for the list.

Offret Six months now I've been saying, I'll watch it this weekend. Still haven't seen it.

The Room This appears to have become a cult classic so I guess I should check it out.

Last Tango In Paris 7.5/10 , Lola Montes 8.5/10 , First Blood 8.5/10 , Lolita 8.5/10 , The New World 8.5/10 , The Decalogue 9.5/10 , Neotpravlennoye pismo 10/10 , A Passage to India 8.5/10 , Yi-Yi 8.5/10 , The Last Emperor 7.5/10 , In a Year with 13 Moons 8.5/10 , The Big Red One 8.5/10 , Les Vampires 9.5/10 , Ballad of a Soldier 9.5/10 , Chelsea Girls 7.5/10 , Kin-Dza-Dza 9/10 , My Life as a Dog 8/10 , The Man who Fell to Earth 8/10 , Red Beard 8.5/10 , Satantango 9/10 , Napoleon 10/10 , Faces 9/10 , Godzilla 7/10, Olympia I 9.5/10 II 8.5/10 , Bad Day at Black Rock 9/10, Soy Cuba 9.5/10, Ossessione 8/10, Greed 10/10, Hoop Dreams 9.5/10, The Burmese Harp 9.5/10 , Éloge de l'amour 6.5/10 , Woodstock 7.5/10 , Die Nibelungen Siegfried 9/10 Kriemhild 8.5/10, Ceddo 10/10 , Wrath of Khan - 7/10 , Shoah 9/10 , City of Sadness 8.5/10, Fires on the Plain 9/10 , Berlin Alexanderplatz 9/10 , Heima 6.5/10 , Angels with Dirty Faces 8.5/10 , Juliet of the Spirits 7/10 Kings of the Road 8.5/10 , Farewell My Concubine 7.5/10 , Dodesukaden 10/10 , The Shootist 7/10 , Goodbye Lenin 9.5/10 , La hora de los hornos 9/10 , The Traveling Players 5/10 , Reds 9/10 , Werckmeister Harmonies 9/10 , Five Fingers of Death 8/10 , Dr. Mabuse: The Gambler 9/10 , Ong-bak 7.5/10 , The Devils 8.5/10 , Nostalghia 8/10 , Killer's Kiss 8.5/10 , Koyaanisqatsi 8.5/10 , Taegukgi hwinalrimyeo 9.5/10 , The Cove 9/10 , America, America 8.5/10 , Pour la suite du monde 5/10 , Lilja 4-ever 9/10 , The Cook the Thief His Wife & Her Lover 7/10 , Burma VJ 8.5/10 , The Testament of Dr. Mabuse 8.5/10 , Europa '51 9/10 , The Killers 9/10 , The Killers 7/10 , Pursued 8.5/10 , Pelle the Conqueror 8/10 , Brink of Life 9/10 , Fear and Desire 4/10 , The Naked Spur 6/10 , Stroszek 8.5/10 , Beau Travail 8/10 , Kanal 9/10 Field of Dreams 6/10 , Mishima 7/10 , Novecento 7/10 , A Face in the Crowd 9/10 , Floating Weeds 8.5/10, Heaven's Gate 8.5/10 , Days and Nights in the Forest 9/10 The War of The Worlds 6.5/10 , Fallen Angels 9/10 , The Crucified Lovers 8.5/10 , Sanxia haoren 8.5/10 , Fantomas 8.5/10 , The Ballad of Cable Hogue 9.5/10 , <---> 6/10 , The Devil and Daniel Webster 8.5/10 , Basic Instinct 8/10, Babette's Feast 5/10 , Wuthering Heights 8/10 , The Saragossa Manuscript 9.5/10 , The Public Enemy 7.5/10 , This Sporting Life 8.5/10 , A Nightmare on Elm Street 7/10 , Sans toit ni loi 9.5/10 Tales of Hoffman 7.5/10 , The Ten Commandments 7/10 , Underworld 8.5/10 , Showgirls 7/10 , La meglio gioventù 8/10 , Vidas Secas 7/10 , The Sorrow and the Pity 9/10 , The Human Condition I 9.5/10 , Russian Ark 8.5/10 , Brighton Rock 8.5/10 , Grey Gardens 9.5/10 , The Marriage of Maria Braun 9/10 , Tampopo 7/10 , Django 8.5/10 , Ballad of Narayama 8.5/10 , Baby Face 8/10 , David Holzman's Diary 8/10 , The Seventh Victim 8/10 , The Blue Kite 9/10 , Soylent Green 8/10 , Flesh and the Devil 9.5/10 , Branded to Kill 6.5/10 , The Golem 7.5/10 , A Personal Journey with Martin Scorsese Through American Movies 9.5/10 , Ryan's Daughter 7/10 , 8 Diagram Pole Fighter 8.5/10 , Fiddler on the Roof 7/10 , American Movie 9/10 , The Longest Day 6/10 , Mephisto 9/10 , Barbarella 6/10

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Sporadic posted:

Let me guess - TMC HD's month of Oscar movies. My DVR couldn't hold everything I wanted to record! What would we do without DVRs?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

VorpalBunny posted:

Let me guess - TMC HD's month of Oscar movies. My DVR couldn't hold everything I wanted to record! What would we do without DVRs?

Actually, I think it was from back when HDNet or HDMov was showing it but I have been loving TCM with the DVR.

TenSpadesBeTrump
Oct 22, 2010
Peaceful Anarchy, I want to give you The Room, but there's an Errol Morris on your list, so go with Fast, Cheap & Out of Control.

Notorious was superbly paced (it's Hitchcock so I wouldn't have expected any less). One of the few faults I can give it is that there wasn't a real sense of danger until the final scene, but that scene was so intense that it made up for the rest of it. 4.5/5.

I saw bits of this a few years ago, and have been wanting to see the whole thing for a while.
Europa
I've seen almost all of Lars von Trier's work besides The Idiots (unfortunately not available on Netflix) and this.
Bed and Board
Code Unknown
Haneke is a wacky guy.
Vernon, Florida
Slacker
Seven Chances
I own the complete Keaton box set, so why haven't I seen them all?
Hearts and Minds
Night of The Living Dead
Faces
More Cassavetes/Rowlands.

Not ashamed anymore: Lawrence of Arabia 4.5/5, The Battle of Algiers 2/5, Toy Story 2 3.5/5, Sherman's March 3.5/5, His Girl Friday 4/5, Last Year at Marienbad 3/5, M 4/5, Stolen Kisses 3/5, The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp 4/5, Lost Highway 4/5, Gates of Heaven 3/5, Downfall 4/5, Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid 4/5, Grizzly Man 4/5, Wings of Desire 2/5, Z 3/5, A Shot in the Dark 2.5/5, Toy Story 3 4.5/5, The Fountain 4/5, Inland Empire 2/5, The Wild Bunch 4/5, Hunger 4.5/5, The Green Mile 3.5/5, The Ballad of Cable Hogue 4/5, A Woman Under the Influence 5/5, La Dolce Vita 4/5, Das Boot 4.5/5, Camera Buff 4.5/5, The Red Shoes 4.5/5, The Rules of the Game 3.5/5, Persona 4.5/5, Black Narcissus 2.5/5, The Battleship Potemkin 3.5/5, Departures 4/5, The Wages of Fear 4.5/5, Werckmeister Harmonies, 4/5, Blazing Saddles 1.5/5, Pickpocket 4/5, McCabe and Mrs. Miller 5/5, Le Cercle Rouge 4/5, Night and Fog ?/5, Opening Night 5/5, Notorious 4.5/5

Captain Lou
Jun 18, 2004

buenas tardes amigo
TenSpadesBeTrump: I can't PM you -- shoot me an email, captlou at gmail

Atheistdeals.com
Aug 2, 2004

TenSpadesBeTrump posted:

Night of The Living Dead

Only movie on your list that I've seen but it is a good one.

Lawrence of Arabia is truly awe-inspiring. The best thing about it is the beautiful desert landscapes, followed by Peter O'Toole's amazing portrayal of Lawrence. This film makes very good use of its hefty running time. Nothing seems drawn out just for the sake of it.

1. Eraserhead - This looks wholesome.

2. A Clockwork Orange - Biggest Kubrick film that I haven't seen yet.

3. The Asphalt Jungle - Don't have much noir under my belt.

4. Ikiru - All 3 Kurosawa movies that I've seen so far have been excellent. I would like to see more. :zombie: Has been on list the longest. :zombie:

5. The Wild Bunch - I do like violent westerns!

6. The Thin Red Line - Never seen a Malick picture. This looks like it has a pretty great cast.

7. Platoon - I don't think I've ever seen an Oliver Stone movie.

8. The Lady Vanishes - More Hitchcock.

9. The Sting - Sounds fun.

10. Lawrence of Arabia Jules and Jim - More French...stuff.

Watched: The Seventh Seal, Moon, Barton Fink, The Thin Blue Line, Cool Hand Luke, Citizen Kane, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Rear Window, North by Northwest, Goodfellas, Casablanca, City Lights, Seven Samurai, The Bicycle Thief, Do the Right Thing, The Battle of Algiers, On the Waterfront, Wild Strawberries, The Trial, Adaptation, Unforgiven, Annie Hall, The 400 Blows, Diabolique, Mulholland Dr., Dirty Harry, The 39 Steps, Aguirre: The Wrath of God, 8 1/2, Boogie Nights, A Streetcar Named Desire, Raiders of the Lost Ark, The General, Pickpocket, Pulp Fiction, Amadeus, Lawrence of Arabia

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit

Atheistdeals.com posted:

1. Eraserhead - This looks wholesome.
Only one I've seen is A Clockwork Orange and unlike most people, I wasn't a fan. However, I intend on seeing this and can't resist putting some Lynch on a person.

Psycho is certainly the landmark psychological thriller. You can see the influence it has on suspense as it does suspense very well. Good movie.

New List:

1. Duck Soup - And now for something completely different. Graucho has some of my favorite quotes ever. However, I've never seen a Marx brothers film.

2. To Kill a Mockingbird - I've seen a few bits but never the entire thing.

3. Black Swan - Not enough newer movies on this list. Kind of interested in it, don't know much about it other than it's nominated for stuff.

4. The Hurt Locker - Don't know anything about this movie. Just going to use this spot for every best picture winner going back.

5. Psycho - I have not seen this movie in a very long time and remember zero details outside of the shower scene and the stairway scene. I remember not liking it too much, but I was also really young.

6. On the Waterfront - Classic Brando that I've missed.

7. Up - There's only 2 Pixar films I haven't seen, and I've kind of been going in order by critical acclaim, so I'll throw this up there before Cars.

8. The Silence of the Lambs - I've seen bits of this, but never the entire thing.

9. Mr. Smith Goes to Washington - Movie that has always intrigued me, but I'm uncertain why I've never watched it.

10. Platoon - Hey its got 2 of the stars of Major League. I imagine this has a bit of a different tone.

Watched: Chinatown 9/10, 12 Angry Men 10/10, Gone With the Wind 7/10, Casablanca 8.5/10, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest 9.5/10, The Godfather Part I 10/10, The Godfather Part II 9.5/10, Goodfellas 10/10, Do the Right Thing 7/10, A Clockwork Orange 6.5/10, Wall-E 10/10, Citizen Kane 9/10, Aliens 9.5/10, The Shawshank Redemption 9.5/10, Back to the Future 8/10, Schindler's List 10/10, Saving Private Ryan 9/10, Dr. Strangelove 6/10, Raging Bull 7/10, Rear Window 8.5/10, The Green Mile 7.5/10, Braveheart 8/10, Apocalypse Now 10/10, Seven Samurai 9/10, The Great Escape 8.5/10, City of God 8/10, Vertigo 8.5/10, Blue Velvet 8.5/10, Ratatouille 8/10, All Quiet on the Western Front 8/10, Mulholland Dr. 9/10, Sunset Blvd. 9/10, Bridge on the River Kwai 8.5/10, Memento 9/10, Unforgiven 9/10, The Usual Suspects 9/10, Network 9/10, The Social Network 7/10, Psycho 8.5/10

SGRaaize
Jan 19, 2011
DONT YOU DARE TELL ME HOW THE FUCK TO HAVE FUN IN VIDEOGAMES!!! OR TO READ THE FUCKING OP!!!!
Just watched Good Fellas, pretty good movie, but I have some problems with it. The main one being the fact that there are certain useless storylines that I think were worthless to the Movie, I know its a true story, but I couldn't care less for the main character's wife, nor could I care about a guy buying a restaurant and burning it 3 minutes later (What was the whole point of that scene?). Overall, though, great characters, great story, with a lot of suspense, the only thing that moves it a little bit down are the "meh" scenes that screw the pacing. Very enjoyable
7/10

marioinblack, you're watching Black Swan

My list:

Shawshank Redemption - I am 100% sure it is incredibly over rated, and the concept bores me

The Godfather Part 2 - Enjoyed the first one, never got around to watching the second one, probably because I read the book and lost interest.

12 Angry Men - Actually don't know anything about this one

One Flew Over at the Cuckoo's Nest - Sounded boring

Seven Samurai - Never heard of this movie either, badass title

Once Upon a Time In The West - Not a big fan of Westerns, the Man With No Name trilogy being the exception

Rear Window - Been spoiled, know everything that happens in this movie, from start to finish, saw parodies of it, overall, I have absolutely no reason to watch this movie.

Usual Suspects - I was gonna watch this movie once, but for some reason, I just didn't watch it.

Memento - Now with the Cristopher Nolan craze due to Inception and The Dark Knight, I heard of this movie, which is apparently one of the best movies ever according to IMDB, and I was interested in it.

The Lives of Others - Never heard of it, read the concept now, sounds interesting

SGRaaize fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Mar 4, 2011

Choronzons son
Mar 1, 2011
Watch The Seven Samurai!

My list:

North By Northwest
I just began digging into Hitchcock. I recently watched To Catch A Thief, which was nice, Rear Window, which I thought was great, and Notorious, the ending of which is pretty much a How-To-Guide for creating suspense.
This is another classic I have yet to tackle.

Dracula (1931)
Have this one lying around for a while. I want to see it before watching the Christopher Lee takes on the Count.

Dune
The one by David Lynch. I think I might like it, couldn't bring myself to see it yet, for some reason.

Amadeus
Another one I had for a while. If it wasn't 160 minutes or so I would probably have watched it already.

Touch of Evil
I have seen the beginning of it a while ago, but I wasn't really getting into it. Still want to finish it at some point.

La Dolce Vita
Well, it's a must see I guess.

Breakfast at Tiffany's
No idea if I would like it. I like seeing Audrey Hepburn though.

Gone with the Wind
Even less of an idea if I'd enjoy it...

Brazil
Pretty sure I'd enjoy this one. Dunno why I haven't seen it yet.

Lost Highway
More Lynch waiting for me.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

Choronzons son posted:

Lost Highway
More Lynch waiting for me.

It's hard for a guy with a Lost Highway avatar to resist recommending someone to watch it ASAP! You get this.

I stopped doing this for a while due to cannae-be-arsed-itis, while I was gone I watched The Public Enemy as well as the last pick for me La Strada. The Public Enemy was a so-so movie, not as memorable as Scarface but James Cagney's performance comes close to being unforgettable - mostly because of that weird gentle fist pushing on his best friend/girlfriend/mother's face thing he kept doing really creeping me out. Did people in the early 30's really do this all the time? La Strada was a very interesting watch, 'enjoyed' isn't really the right word - it made me sad and it made me think a lot, most probably went right over my head but it's something I want to watch again after learning more about it, Fellini & neo-realism.

1. Intolerence (1916, D.W. Griffith)
Intolerence is like the automatic "important American silent" choice after Birth of a Nation which I find too disagreeable to sit through. Never seen a D.W. Griffith feature & considering how important he was to the medium of cinema I'm very much shamed by that.

2. Destiny (1921, Fritz Lang)
Fritz Lang has not let me down yet, Destiny seems to be an important film in his career & I won't be able to call myself a silent-era film fan until I see this.

4. Gone With the Wind (1939, Victor Fleming)
It's a massive film, I'm very aware of the amount of money & effort that went into it. I'm keen to see the results of the production on screen but not so much the prejudiced idea I have in my head of sitting about for 3 hours watching an old love story that's probably been through the wringer more times than your great grannies knickers. I just need a little push & this will be in my DVD player.

14. Battleship Potemkin (1925, Sergei M. Eisenstein)
Russian cinema has always eluded me, might as well start in one of the oldest and most famous places with this.

15. Shadow of a Doubt (1943, Alfred Hitchcock)
I mean to watch every Hitchcock film.

16. Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans (1927, F.W. Murnau)
I've only ever seen Nosferatu from Murnau but I'm well aware that he is considered as one of cinemas greatest directors & it seems like this is the obvious choice to see some more of his work.

20. The Thin Man (1934, W.S. Van Dyke)
It just sounds entertaining as hell.

22. Häxan: Witchcraft Through the Ages (1922, Benjamin Christensen)
Seems a very interesting film, some creepy screen-caps have been about all I know of it's imagery but it's definitely strange to me that a film about the history of witchcraft was made at this time.

24. The Red Shoes (1948, Michael Powell, Emeric Pressburger)
Yes, loving Black Swan has finally made me interested enough to see this movie. Read a lot about Powell & Pressburger, mostly on this forum so I expect to see this before too soon... even though other things have been on my list waaaaaaaaaay longer!

25. La Grande Illusion (1937, Jean Renoir)
I'm not quite sure what to expect but I have my hands on a copy & just need the excuse to throw it into my DVD player, never seen a Renoir film before & although the plot synopsis from IMDb sounds a little same-old... I am expecting something special.

No More Shame:
7. Rashômon - 8/10, 3. The 39 Steps - 8/10, 9. The Killing - 9/10, 6. Citizen Kane - 8/10, 11. Gojira (Godzilla) - 7/10, 8. A Streetcar Named Desire - 9/10. 5. The Grapes of Wrath - 9/10, 13. La Passion de Jeanne d'Arc (The Passion of Joan of Arc) - 8/10 17. Stagecoach - 7/10 19. Sullivan's Travels - 5/10 12. Un Chien Andalou (An Andalusian Dog) - 8/10 21. It Happened One Night - 6/10 10. Ben-Hur - 4/10. 18. The Public Enemy - 6/10. 23. La Strada - 7/10.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

I just finished The Thin Man and I loved it! It's a very fun movie that's remarkably well done for being shot in two weeks! It's almost never boring, it's still pretty funny even today (no Seinfeld is Unfunny Syndrome here!), and the chemistry between Loy and Powell is remarkable. I can easily see why they appeared together so often. Personally, I thought the film was quite unpredictable as well. It doesn't take long to figure out Wynant is dead, but the killer's identity still came as a surprise. There are a few parts that don't look so good today—Nick punching Nora to get her out of the line of fire and the only black character being a subservient porter who appears for seconds at the end—but the movie as a whole is quite a lot of fun.

Now go watch this film and enjoy it, BisonDollah!

The Hunt For Red October; The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford; Rashomon; Clash of the Titans; Tron; Enter the Dragon; The Karate Kid; Raging Bull; Cool Hand Luke; High and Low; Amores perros; City of God; Grand Slam; Robocop; The Maltese Falcon; Casablanca; Laura; Full Metal Jacket; Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid; Blue Velvet; Apocalypse Now; Tombstone; Natural Born Killers; Alien; Barton Fink; F for Fake; Boogie Nights; The Evil Dead; Annie Hall; Paris, Texas; Léon/The Professional; Amarcord; ; The 400 Blows; Do the Right Thing; Beauty and the Beast; Casino; American Graffiti; Death to Smoochy; Bram Stoker's Dracula; Serpico; Forbidden Planet; Au Revoir Les Enfants; Tremors; Vertigo; 12 Angry Men; Pierrot le Fou; Where Eagles Dare; Kagemusha; The Terminator; The Battleship Potemkin; The Bicycle Thief; The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert; The Constant Gardener; Walkabout; 3:10 to Yuma; What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?; Aliens; Rain Man; Xich Lo; Akira; Jules et Jim; Johnny Guitar; Rocky Horror Picture Show; The Thin Blue Line; The Thin Red Line; Blackmail; Slacker; The Cook, the Thief, his Wife, and her Lover; Terminator 2; Blazing Saddles; The Thin Man

Beverly Hills Cop: So I hear this one's better than the only one I've seen all the way through, Beverly Hills Cop III.
Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia: The closest I've ever seen to a Peckinpah movie was his nephew making Sliders completely jump the shark. I could use a violent Western.
Carlito's Way: I've seen as many mob movies as any self-respecting 20-something American male, but not only have I not seen this one, but somehow I managed not to know anything about this movie except that it stars Pacino.
Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!: Blind buy. I've never seen a Russ Meyer movie. I have no idea what to expect.
L'Avventura: I hated Blow-Up, but Antonioni deserves another chance.
The Natural: I always hear the greatest things about Redford, but I haven't seen much stuff with him in it. Levinson's hit-or-miss with me.
A Night at the Opera: I liked Duck Soup but it didn't blow me away. I do feel like I should see more Marx Brothers films, though. Plus anything Queen named an album after already gets a few points anyway!
Schindler's List: Highest movie on the IMDb Top 250 I haven't seen. I've been putting it off because there's nothing that appeals to me less than a movie I know will be a downer, no matter how good it is.
Sideways: I'm not sure if I'm in this movie's target audience, as I don't drink and I'm not middle-aged.
Uzak: I've never seen a Turkish film.

penismightier posted:

You loving LOVE this phrase.
No, I just forget when I say the same thing multiple times. gently caress.

CloseFriend fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Mar 5, 2011

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

CloseFriend posted:

(no Seinfeld is Unfunny Syndrome here!),

You loving LOVE this phrase.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill! is pretty silly, but it's fun, so give it a shot CloseFriend.

Fast, Cheap & Out of Control was really interesting, though maybe a little lacking. It's essentially four different stories of people with unique professions intertwined with some basic connections. It lacks some cohesion, but makes up for it by each of the individual pieces being captivating and fun to watch.

Updated list:

The Room This appears to have become a cult classic so I guess I should check it out.

You, the Living I've liked my other Roy Andersson film, should be cool.

Last Tango In Paris 7.5/10 , Lola Montes 8.5/10 , First Blood 8.5/10 , Lolita 8.5/10 , The New World 8.5/10 , The Decalogue 9.5/10 , Neotpravlennoye pismo 10/10 , A Passage to India 8.5/10 , Yi-Yi 8.5/10 , The Last Emperor 7.5/10 , In a Year with 13 Moons 8.5/10 , The Big Red One 8.5/10 , Les Vampires 9.5/10 , Ballad of a Soldier 9.5/10 , Chelsea Girls 7.5/10 , Kin-Dza-Dza 9/10 , My Life as a Dog 8/10 , The Man who Fell to Earth 8/10 , Red Beard 8.5/10 , Satantango 9/10 , Napoleon 10/10 , Faces 9/10 , Godzilla 7/10, Olympia I 9.5/10 II 8.5/10 , Bad Day at Black Rock 9/10, Soy Cuba 9.5/10, Ossessione 8/10, Greed 10/10, Hoop Dreams 9.5/10, The Burmese Harp 9.5/10 , Éloge de l'amour 6.5/10 , Woodstock 7.5/10 , Die Nibelungen Siegfried 9/10 Kriemhild 8.5/10, Ceddo 10/10 , Wrath of Khan - 7/10 , Shoah 9/10 , City of Sadness 8.5/10, Fires on the Plain 9/10 , Berlin Alexanderplatz 9/10 , Heima 6.5/10 , Angels with Dirty Faces 8.5/10 , Juliet of the Spirits 7/10 Kings of the Road 8.5/10 , Farewell My Concubine 7.5/10 , Dodesukaden 10/10 , The Shootist 7/10 , Goodbye Lenin 9.5/10 , La hora de los hornos 9/10 , The Traveling Players 5/10 , Reds 9/10 , Werckmeister Harmonies 9/10 , Five Fingers of Death 8/10 , Dr. Mabuse: The Gambler 9/10 , Ong-bak 7.5/10 , The Devils 8.5/10 , Nostalghia 8/10 , Killer's Kiss 8.5/10 , Koyaanisqatsi 8.5/10 , Taegukgi hwinalrimyeo 9.5/10 , The Cove 9/10 , America, America 8.5/10 , Pour la suite du monde 5/10 , Lilja 4-ever 9/10 , The Cook the Thief His Wife & Her Lover 7/10 , Burma VJ 8.5/10 , The Testament of Dr. Mabuse 8.5/10 , Europa '51 9/10 , The Killers 9/10 , The Killers 7/10 , Pursued 8.5/10 , Pelle the Conqueror 8/10 , Brink of Life 9/10 , Fear and Desire 4/10 , The Naked Spur 6/10 , Stroszek 8.5/10 , Beau Travail 8/10 , Kanal 9/10 Field of Dreams 6/10 , Mishima 7/10 , Novecento 7/10 , A Face in the Crowd 9/10 , Floating Weeds 8.5/10, Heaven's Gate 8.5/10 , Days and Nights in the Forest 9/10 The War of The Worlds 6.5/10 , Fallen Angels 9/10 , The Crucified Lovers 8.5/10 , Sanxia haoren 8.5/10 , Fantomas 8.5/10 , The Ballad of Cable Hogue 9.5/10 , <---> 6/10 , The Devil and Daniel Webster 8.5/10 , Basic Instinct 8/10, Babette's Feast 5/10 , Wuthering Heights 8/10 , The Saragossa Manuscript 9.5/10 , The Public Enemy 7.5/10 , This Sporting Life 8.5/10 , A Nightmare on Elm Street 7/10 , Sans toit ni loi 9.5/10 Tales of Hoffman 7.5/10 , The Ten Commandments 7/10 , Underworld 8.5/10 , Showgirls 7/10 , La meglio gioventù 8/10 , Vidas Secas 7/10 , The Sorrow and the Pity 9/10 , The Human Condition I 9.5/10 , Russian Ark 8.5/10 , Brighton Rock 8.5/10 , Grey Gardens 9.5/10 , The Marriage of Maria Braun 9/10 , Tampopo 7/10 , Django 8.5/10 , Ballad of Narayama 8.5/10 , Baby Face 8/10 , David Holzman's Diary 8/10 , The Seventh Victim 8/10 , The Blue Kite 9/10 , Soylent Green 8/10 , Flesh and the Devil 9.5/10 , Branded to Kill 6.5/10 , The Golem 7.5/10 , A Personal Journey with Martin Scorsese Through American Movies 9.5/10 , Ryan's Daughter 7/10 , 8 Diagram Pole Fighter 8.5/10 , Fiddler on the Roof 7/10 , American Movie 9/10 , The Longest Day 6/10 , Mephisto 9/10 , Barbarella 6/10 , Fast, Cheap & Out of Control 8.5/10

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

Peaceful Anarchy: I kinda hate to give you "The Room", but it's the only movie on your list that I've seen. It's by no means a great movie, but if like movies that are retarded you're sure to enjoy it.

I watched "Aliens". I could only get my hands on the extended cut, but I thought it was pretty good. The action was awesome, the characters were great (Bill Paxton was hilarious), and it's a pretty neat story. I didn't like it better then "Alien", but I did like it.

My new list:

1. Any Fellini movie NOT "La Strada"

2. 400 Blows:
Not a huge fan of French cinema, but looks interesting

3. The Great Escape:
Just never saw it, and know nothing about it.

4. The Great Dictator:
Now that I've seen some Chaplin, this is one that always interested me.

5. To Kill a Mockingbird:
Honestly I don't know much about it other then that it's a movie that exists and is supposed to be good

6. The Elephant Man:
It's Karl Pilkington's favorite movie, which is enough reason for me to check it out sometime

7. In Bruges:
I know nothing about this, but it seems to be highly rated.

Already watched: Jaws, Scenes From a Marriage, The Searchers, Fanny and Alexander, Sawdust and Tinsel, Stagecoach, Silence of the Lambs, Modern Times, Do the Right Thing, Schindler's List, Mr Smith Goes to Washington, Magnolia, La Strada, Die Hard, Persona, Aliens

bluefire579
Dec 12, 2009
zandert33, I'll give you The Great Escape, Steve McQueen at his best.

Friday night was movie night and I finished Hoop Dreams. Though it's a bit older, it's certainly still relevant, a touching look at two young kids who hope to use basketball to escape the ghetto. While a touch long, it managed to hold my interest throughout. I found it a little upsetting that neither managed to make their dream come true, but it was pleasant to see that the success of the movie allowed both to greatly improve their lives. 9/10

My List:

The Pianist: This is part of my unseen Oscar nominee list

Watched: Thin Blue Line 8/10, Let the Right One In 9/10, Evil Dead 2 8/10, Exit Through the Gift Shop 7/10, Hoop Dreams 9/10

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

To answer your questions, the movie is charming and the acting is pretty solid. It stars Sissy Spacek and Tommy Lee Jones. I wouldn't say it's up there with the greats, but it's certainly not horrible. My husband describes it as a "nice piece of Americana."

Atheistdeals.com
Aug 2, 2004

bluefire579 posted:

Haven't seen anything on your list, but I do want to watch this soon so there you go.

Eraserhead is one of the creepiest movies that I have ever seen. The constant droning noises, the baby, and the black and white colors really add up to a perfect nightmare. It's a great movie, and I never want to loving see it ever again.

1. Eraserhead Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas - Internet favorite, I really don't know much about it.

2. A Clockwork Orange - Biggest Kubrick film that I haven't seen yet.

3. The Asphalt Jungle - Don't have much noir under my belt.

4. Ikiru - All 3 Kurosawa movies that I've seen so far have been excellent. I would like to see more. :zombie: Has been on list the longest. :zombie:

5. The Wild Bunch - I do like violent westerns!

6. The Thin Red Line - Never seen a Malick picture. This looks like it has a pretty great cast.

7. Platoon - I don't think I've ever seen an Oliver Stone movie.

9. The Sting - Sounds fun.

10. Jules and Jim - More French...stuff.

Watched: The Seventh Seal, Moon, Barton Fink, The Thin Blue Line, Cool Hand Luke, Citizen Kane, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Rear Window, North by Northwest, Goodfellas, Casablanca, City Lights, Seven Samurai, The Bicycle Thief, Do the Right Thing, The Battle of Algiers, On the Waterfront, Wild Strawberries, The Trial, Adaptation, Unforgiven, Annie Hall, The 400 Blows, Diabolique, Mulholland Dr., Dirty Harry, The 39 Steps, Aguirre: The Wrath of God, 8 1/2, Boogie Nights, A Streetcar Named Desire, Raiders of the Lost Ark, The General, Pickpocket, Pulp Fiction, Amadeus, Lawrence of Arabia, Eraserhead

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit

Atheistdeals.com posted:

More Hitchcock it is.

Black Swan was much different than I expected it to be, but I wasn't really sure what I expected it to be. I'm not sure what to say now outside of the cinematographer got robbed last Sunday. Portman is amazing and possibly insane.

New List (with 2 movies since I failed to replace Psycho last go around):

1. Duck Soup - And now for something completely different. Graucho has some of my favorite quotes ever. However, I've never seen a Marx brothers film.

2. To Kill a Mockingbird - I've seen a few bits but never the entire thing.

3. The Professional - Know nothing about it other than Gary Oldman and young Portman.

4. The Hurt Locker - Don't know anything about this movie. Just going to use this spot for every best picture winner going back.

5. Dial M for Murder - Hitchcock all day every day.

6. On the Waterfront - Classic Brando that I've missed.

7. Up - There's only 2 Pixar films I haven't seen, and I've kind of been going in order by critical acclaim, so I'll throw this up there before Cars.

8. The Silence of the Lambs - I've seen bits of this, but never the entire thing.

9. Mr. Smith Goes to Washington - Movie that has always intrigued me, but I'm uncertain why I've never watched it.

10. Platoon - Hey its got 2 of the stars of Major League. I imagine this has a bit of a different tone.

Watched: Chinatown 9/10, 12 Angry Men 10/10, Gone With the Wind 7/10, Casablanca 8.5/10, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest 9.5/10, The Godfather Part I 10/10, The Godfather Part II 9.5/10, Goodfellas 10/10, Do the Right Thing 7/10, A Clockwork Orange 6.5/10, Wall-E 10/10, Citizen Kane 9/10, Aliens 9.5/10, The Shawshank Redemption 9.5/10, Back to the Future 8/10, Schindler's List 10/10, Saving Private Ryan 9/10, Dr. Strangelove 6/10, Raging Bull 7/10, Rear Window 8.5/10, The Green Mile 7.5/10, Braveheart 8/10, Apocalypse Now 10/10, Seven Samurai 9/10, The Great Escape 8.5/10, City of God 8/10, Vertigo 8.5/10, Blue Velvet 8.5/10, Ratatouille 8/10, All Quiet on the Western Front 8/10, Mulholland Dr. 9/10, Sunset Blvd. 9/10, Bridge on the River Kwai 8.5/10, Memento 9/10, Unforgiven 9/10, The Usual Suspects 9/10, Network 9/10, The Social Network 7/10, Psycho 8.5/10, Black Swan 8/10

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

I like The Professional, watch that marioinblack.

The Room :stare:
This is sincerely the worst movie I have ever seen. I wasn't expecting something good, obviously, but I expected a campy low budget movie. Instead I got astonishingly bad delivery of already terrible dialogue, a plot with no continuity, random scenes with absolutely no purpose, horrid music choices and all around awfulness. Normally one might describe a bad film as a train wreck, but even that is too much praise for this since aside from one, maybe two scenes, it is the most mundane crap imaginable. I do see why it's become a cult classic, though. The absolute worthlessness engenders a sort of Stockholm syndrome, where disbelief just numbs all senses and makes you sympathetic for the obviously mentally deficient mind that created this disaster.

Updated list:

Les amants du Pont-Neuf French movie featuring Juliette Binoche with an eye-patch, that's the extent of my knowledge.

Last Tango In Paris 7.5/10 , Lola Montes 8.5/10 , First Blood 8.5/10 , Lolita 8.5/10 , The New World 8.5/10 , The Decalogue 9.5/10 , Neotpravlennoye pismo 10/10 , A Passage to India 8.5/10 , Yi-Yi 8.5/10 , The Last Emperor 7.5/10 , In a Year with 13 Moons 8.5/10 , The Big Red One 8.5/10 , Les Vampires 9.5/10 , Ballad of a Soldier 9.5/10 , Chelsea Girls 7.5/10 , Kin-Dza-Dza 9/10 , My Life as a Dog 8/10 , The Man who Fell to Earth 8/10 , Red Beard 8.5/10 , Satantango 9/10 , Napoleon 10/10 , Faces 9/10 , Godzilla 7/10, Olympia I 9.5/10 II 8.5/10 , Bad Day at Black Rock 9/10, Soy Cuba 9.5/10, Ossessione 8/10, Greed 10/10, Hoop Dreams 9.5/10, The Burmese Harp 9.5/10 , Éloge de l'amour 6.5/10 , Woodstock 7.5/10 , Die Nibelungen Siegfried 9/10 Kriemhild 8.5/10, Ceddo 10/10 , Wrath of Khan - 7/10 , Shoah 9/10 , City of Sadness 8.5/10, Fires on the Plain 9/10 , Berlin Alexanderplatz 9/10 , Heima 6.5/10 , Angels with Dirty Faces 8.5/10 , Juliet of the Spirits 7/10 Kings of the Road 8.5/10 , Farewell My Concubine 7.5/10 , Dodesukaden 10/10 , The Shootist 7/10 , Goodbye Lenin 9.5/10 , La hora de los hornos 9/10 , The Traveling Players 5/10 , Reds 9/10 , Werckmeister Harmonies 9/10 , Five Fingers of Death 8/10 , Dr. Mabuse: The Gambler 9/10 , Ong-bak 7.5/10 , The Devils 8.5/10 , Nostalghia 8/10 , Killer's Kiss 8.5/10 , Koyaanisqatsi 8.5/10 , Taegukgi hwinalrimyeo 9.5/10 , The Cove 9/10 , America, America 8.5/10 , Pour la suite du monde 5/10 , Lilja 4-ever 9/10 , The Cook the Thief His Wife & Her Lover 7/10 , Burma VJ 8.5/10 , The Testament of Dr. Mabuse 8.5/10 , Europa '51 9/10 , The Killers 9/10 , The Killers 7/10 , Pursued 8.5/10 , Pelle the Conqueror 8/10 , Brink of Life 9/10 , Fear and Desire 4/10 , The Naked Spur 6/10 , Stroszek 8.5/10 , Beau Travail 8/10 , Kanal 9/10 Field of Dreams 6/10 , Mishima 7/10 , Novecento 7/10 , A Face in the Crowd 9/10 , Floating Weeds 8.5/10, Heaven's Gate 8.5/10 , Days and Nights in the Forest 9/10 The War of The Worlds 6.5/10 , Fallen Angels 9/10 , The Crucified Lovers 8.5/10 , Sanxia haoren 8.5/10 , Fantomas 8.5/10 , The Ballad of Cable Hogue 9.5/10 , <---> 6/10 , The Devil and Daniel Webster 8.5/10 , Basic Instinct 8/10, Babette's Feast 5/10 , Wuthering Heights 8/10 , The Saragossa Manuscript 9.5/10 , The Public Enemy 7.5/10 , This Sporting Life 8.5/10 , A Nightmare on Elm Street 7/10 , Sans toit ni loi 9.5/10 Tales of Hoffman 7.5/10 , The Ten Commandments 7/10 , Underworld 8.5/10 , Showgirls 7/10 , La meglio gioventù 8/10 , Vidas Secas 7/10 , The Sorrow and the Pity 9/10 , The Human Condition I 9.5/10 , Russian Ark 8.5/10 , Brighton Rock 8.5/10 , Grey Gardens 9.5/10 , The Marriage of Maria Braun 9/10 , Tampopo 7/10 , Django 8.5/10 , Ballad of Narayama 8.5/10 , Baby Face 8/10 , David Holzman's Diary 8/10 , The Seventh Victim 8/10 , The Blue Kite 9/10 , Soylent Green 8/10 , Flesh and the Devil 9.5/10 , Branded to Kill 6.5/10 , The Golem 7.5/10 , A Personal Journey with Martin Scorsese Through American Movies 9.5/10 , Ryan's Daughter 7/10 , 8 Diagram Pole Fighter 8.5/10 , Fiddler on the Roof 7/10 , American Movie 9/10 , The Longest Day 6/10 , Mephisto 9/10 , Barbarella 6/10 , Fast, Cheap & Out of Control 8.5/10 , The Room 1/10

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Peaceful Anarchy, you get D.O.A., one of the most noir-ish noir films I've seen.

I just finished Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill! and I liked it, but it wasn't as good as I thought it'd be. Some lines are just absolutely cringeworthy. It's still a fun little movie with some well-directed action scenes and a very distinctive look to it. I particularly liked the opening narration, which was vaguely reminiscent of what you see in horror movies from decades earlier.

The Hunt For Red October; The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford; Rashomon; Clash of the Titans; Tron; Enter the Dragon; The Karate Kid; Raging Bull; Cool Hand Luke; High and Low; Amores perros; City of God; Grand Slam; Robocop; The Maltese Falcon; Casablanca; Laura; Full Metal Jacket; Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid; Blue Velvet; Apocalypse Now; Tombstone; Natural Born Killers; Alien; Barton Fink; F for Fake; Boogie Nights; The Evil Dead; Annie Hall; Paris, Texas; Léon/The Professional; Amarcord; ; The 400 Blows; Do the Right Thing; Beauty and the Beast; Casino; American Graffiti; Death to Smoochy; Bram Stoker's Dracula; Serpico; Forbidden Planet; Au Revoir Les Enfants; Tremors; Vertigo; 12 Angry Men; Pierrot le Fou; Where Eagles Dare; Kagemusha; The Terminator; The Battleship Potemkin; The Bicycle Thief; The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert; The Constant Gardener; Walkabout; 3:10 to Yuma; What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?; Aliens; Rain Man; Xich Lo; Akira; Jules et Jim; Johnny Guitar; Rocky Horror Picture Show; The Thin Blue Line; The Thin Red Line; Blackmail; Slacker; The Cook, the Thief, his Wife, and her Lover; Terminator 2; Blazing Saddles; The Thin Man; Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Beverly Hills Cop: So I hear this one's better than the only one I've seen all the way through, Beverly Hills Cop III.
Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia: The closest I've ever seen to a Peckinpah movie was his nephew making Sliders completely jump the shark. I could use a violent Western.
Carlito's Way: I've seen as many mob movies as any self-respecting 20-something American male, but not only have I not seen this one, but somehow I managed not to know anything about this movie except that it stars Pacino.
The Natural: I always hear the greatest things about Redford, but I haven't seen much stuff with him in it. Levinson's hit-or-miss with me.
A Night at the Opera: I liked Duck Soup but it didn't blow me away. I do feel like I should see more Marx Brothers films, though. Plus anything Queen named an album after already gets a few points anyway!
Schindler's List: Highest movie on the IMDb Top 250 I haven't seen. I've been putting it off because there's nothing that appeals to me less than a movie I know will be a downer, no matter how good it is.
Sideways: I'm not sure if I'm in this movie's target audience, as I don't drink and I'm not middle-aged.
Sweet Sweetback's Baadassss Song: I've heard a lot of stories about the production of this film, and how much Melvin Van Peebles had to overcome to make it, but I've never seen the finished product.
Uzak: I've never seen a Turkish film.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

CloseFriend posted:

She ain't an easy watch, but I swear it's fascinating if you put yourself in the right mindset.

The French Connection was so triumphantly grungy, and I mean that as a compliment. This New York City is the anti-Woody Allen NYC, with garbage everywhere, scuzzy people, cheap beer, and Gene Hackman as Santa Claus. The train scene is hailed as the stuff of legend, and I can see why; Doyle driving like a maniac through the streets is a hell of a rush. It's justifiably an action classic.

1. Gaslight: I might as well start charging through some classic noir.

2. Cries and Whispers: I want to keep watching Bergman.

3. Grand Illusion: All I know about this movie is that all film buffs think it's great and that Woody Allen references it at least once. Sounds like my cup of tea.

4. Forbidden Planet: I feel especially bad about this because I am really into science fiction.

5. Earth: I'm really curious to see what Dovzhenko was all about. I saw a really interesting documentary about him and feel obligated to check him out.

6. The Hidden Fortress: Kurosawa movies tend to put me in a nice glow after watching one of his movies, and I gather that this one is no different.

7. Singin' in the Rain: I've put this off long enough. What you got, Gene Kelly?

8. Tokyo Story: Might as well start banging out these They Shoot Pictures movies. I really want to check out Ozu.

9. Satantango: Lot of love floating around this forum for this movie.

10. Any John Wayne movie with Rio or River in the title: I'm pretty sure I've seen all of them, but I was probably 6 or 7 and don't remember a thing about any of them.

Watched - The Godfather Part II, City of God, Paths of Glory, North by Northwest, The Bridge on the River Kwai, Fanny and Alexander, 8 1/2, The Rules of the Game, His Girl Friday, The Wages of Fear, Rashomon, Stroszek, The French Connection

bluefire579
Dec 12, 2009
There are only 3 musicals I truly enjoy and Singing in the Rain is one of them, so Kull the Conqueror, you have your next movie

Watched The Devil's Backbone, one of Guillermo del Torro's early works. It was decent, certainly reminiscent of Pan's Labyrinth and the del Torro produced Orphanage, both of which I thought were better. There were some creepy moments and some interesting parts, but just didn't have the same effect on me as the other two I mentioned. 6/10

My List:

The Producers (2005): Loved the original, but have heard from some that this one is better

The Pianist: This is part of my unseen Oscar nominee list

Watched: Thin Blue Line 8/10, Let the Right One In 9/10, Evil Dead 2 8/10, Exit Through the Gift Shop 7/10, Hoop Dreams 9/10, The Devil's Backbone 6/10

TenSpadesBeTrump
Oct 22, 2010
bluefire, Antichrist is definitely interesting.

I just finished Night of the Living Dead. The first thrity minutes or so were boring, but once the rest of the survivors showed up it got quite interesting. Their personalities played nicely off each other. This movie hasn't aged very well, mostly due to the extreme oversaturation of zombies in popular culture now. 3.5/5

I also watched Seven Chances. Keaton never seems to get old for me, and while this certainly isn't his funniest, it still packs in a lot of laughs, mostly concentrated in the final third, during the chase between Keaton and the women (and the ever increasing boulders). 4/5

Europa
Bed and Board
Code Unknown
Haneke is a wacky guy.
Vernon, Florida
Slacker
Hearts and Minds
Faces
More Cassavetes/Rowlands.
Three Colors: White
I liked Blue, haven't gotten to this one yet.
Close Encounters of the Third Kind
Pretty popular I guess.

Not ashamed anymore: Lawrence of Arabia 4.5/5, The Battle of Algiers 2/5, Toy Story 2 3.5/5, Sherman's March 3.5/5, His Girl Friday 4/5, Last Year at Marienbad 3/5, M 4/5, Stolen Kisses 3/5, The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp 4/5, Lost Highway 4/5, Gates of Heaven 3/5, Downfall 4/5, Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid 4/5, Grizzly Man 4/5, Wings of Desire 2/5, Z 3/5, A Shot in the Dark 2.5/5, Toy Story 3 4.5/5, The Fountain 4/5, Inland Empire 2/5, The Wild Bunch 4/5, Hunger 4.5/5, The Green Mile 3.5/5, The Ballad of Cable Hogue 4/5, A Woman Under the Influence 5/5, La Dolce Vita 4/5, Das Boot 4.5/5, Camera Buff 4.5/5, The Red Shoes 4.5/5, The Rules of the Game 3.5/5, Persona 4.5/5, Black Narcissus 2.5/5, The Battleship Potemkin 3.5/5, Departures 4/5, The Wages of Fear 4.5/5, Werckmeister Harmonies, 4/5, Blazing Saddles 1.5/5, Pickpocket 4/5, McCabe and Mrs. Miller 5/5, Le Cercle Rouge 4/5, Night and Fog ?/5, Opening Night 5/5, Notorious 4.5/5, Night of the Living Dead 3.5/5, Seven Chances 4/5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

TenSpadesBeTrump, Faces is wonderful, enjoy.

D.O.A. was pretty cool, not quite in the top tier of noirs but for such a strong genre that's no shame. Aside from a few weak spots early on, slidewhistles being the most prominent, it's wonderfully constructed and Edmond O'Brien is pretty great even if he's no Bogart. It's tightly paced, has some great lines and had my full attention for the entire 80 minutes. And for a noir with so many day scenes it still manages some good shadow play.

Updated list:

Les amants du Pont-Neuf French movie featuring Juliette Binoche with an eye-patch, that's the extent of my knowledge.

Cross of Iron The last of Peckinpah's acclaimed films I haven't seen. He hasn't let me down yet.

Last Tango In Paris 7.5/10 , Lola Montes 8.5/10 , First Blood 8.5/10 , Lolita 8.5/10 , The New World 8.5/10 , The Decalogue 9.5/10 , Neotpravlennoye pismo 10/10 , A Passage to India 8.5/10 , Yi-Yi 8.5/10 , The Last Emperor 7.5/10 , In a Year with 13 Moons 8.5/10 , The Big Red One 8.5/10 , Les Vampires 9.5/10 , Ballad of a Soldier 9.5/10 , Chelsea Girls 7.5/10 , Kin-Dza-Dza 9/10 , My Life as a Dog 8/10 , The Man who Fell to Earth 8/10 , Red Beard 8.5/10 , Satantango 9/10 , Napoleon 10/10 , Faces 9/10 , Godzilla 7/10, Olympia I 9.5/10 II 8.5/10 , Bad Day at Black Rock 9/10, Soy Cuba 9.5/10, Ossessione 8/10, Greed 10/10, Hoop Dreams 9.5/10, The Burmese Harp 9.5/10 , Éloge de l'amour 6.5/10 , Woodstock 7.5/10 , Die Nibelungen Siegfried 9/10 Kriemhild 8.5/10, Ceddo 10/10 , Wrath of Khan - 7/10 , Shoah 9/10 , City of Sadness 8.5/10, Fires on the Plain 9/10 , Berlin Alexanderplatz 9/10 , Heima 6.5/10 , Angels with Dirty Faces 8.5/10 , Juliet of the Spirits 7/10 Kings of the Road 8.5/10 , Farewell My Concubine 7.5/10 , Dodesukaden 10/10 , The Shootist 7/10 , Goodbye Lenin 9.5/10 , La hora de los hornos 9/10 , The Traveling Players 5/10 , Reds 9/10 , Werckmeister Harmonies 9/10 , Five Fingers of Death 8/10 , Dr. Mabuse: The Gambler 9/10 , Ong-bak 7.5/10 , The Devils 8.5/10 , Nostalghia 8/10 , Killer's Kiss 8.5/10 , Koyaanisqatsi 8.5/10 , Taegukgi hwinalrimyeo 9.5/10 , The Cove 9/10 , America, America 8.5/10 , Pour la suite du monde 5/10 , Lilja 4-ever 9/10 , The Cook the Thief His Wife & Her Lover 7/10 , Burma VJ 8.5/10 , The Testament of Dr. Mabuse 8.5/10 , Europa '51 9/10 , The Killers 9/10 , The Killers 7/10 , Pursued 8.5/10 , Pelle the Conqueror 8/10 , Brink of Life 9/10 , Fear and Desire 4/10 , The Naked Spur 6/10 , Stroszek 8.5/10 , Beau Travail 8/10 , Kanal 9/10 Field of Dreams 6/10 , Mishima 7/10 , Novecento 7/10 , A Face in the Crowd 9/10 , Floating Weeds 8.5/10, Heaven's Gate 8.5/10 , Days and Nights in the Forest 9/10 The War of The Worlds 6.5/10 , Fallen Angels 9/10 , The Crucified Lovers 8.5/10 , Sanxia haoren 8.5/10 , Fantomas 8.5/10 , The Ballad of Cable Hogue 9.5/10 , <---> 6/10 , The Devil and Daniel Webster 8.5/10 , Basic Instinct 8/10, Babette's Feast 5/10 , Wuthering Heights 8/10 , The Saragossa Manuscript 9.5/10 , The Public Enemy 7.5/10 , This Sporting Life 8.5/10 , A Nightmare on Elm Street 7/10 , Sans toit ni loi 9.5/10 Tales of Hoffman 7.5/10 , The Ten Commandments 7/10 , Underworld 8.5/10 , Showgirls 7/10 , La meglio gioventù 8/10 , Vidas Secas 7/10 , The Sorrow and the Pity 9/10 , The Human Condition I 9.5/10 , Russian Ark 8.5/10 , Brighton Rock 8.5/10 , Grey Gardens 9.5/10 , The Marriage of Maria Braun 9/10 , Tampopo 7/10 , Django 8.5/10 , Ballad of Narayama 8.5/10 , Baby Face 8/10 , David Holzman's Diary 8/10 , The Seventh Victim 8/10 , The Blue Kite 9/10 , Soylent Green 8/10 , Flesh and the Devil 9.5/10 , Branded to Kill 6.5/10 , The Golem 7.5/10 , A Personal Journey with Martin Scorsese Through American Movies 9.5/10 , Ryan's Daughter 7/10 , 8 Diagram Pole Fighter 8.5/10 , Fiddler on the Roof 7/10 , American Movie 9/10 , The Longest Day 6/10 , Mephisto 9/10 , Barbarella 6/10 , Fast, Cheap & Out of Control 8.5/10 , The Room 1/10 , D.O.A. 9/10