Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I'll just leave this here

SV650 Android app.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
Might buy a blue 2000 SV650 naked for the girlfriend. $2000. Looks to be in good condition. Has ZX-10R shock, .90 springs up front, R6 throttle tube, Avon tires, and 33,000 miles on the body but much less on the engine (2nd engine swapped in 4 years ago cuz 1st one was dead).

Guy's letting it go because he's moving out of state and taking only his DRZ with him.

Girlfriend has half year experience riding a Ninja 250.

Should I? Should I?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
What does she want?

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Z3n posted:

What does she want?

That's funny, that's exactly what I was going to post but held off. Don't just give your girlfriend something if she doesn't want it - that leads to poor, unused bikes. :(

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

That's funny, that's exactly what I was going to post but held off. Don't just give your girlfriend something if she doesn't want it - that leads to poor, unused bikes. :(

No, that's how you get around "you can only have one bike at a time".

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

I learned that one the hard way so I get to say it. :v:

I know what the wife is getting as her next bike, but that's only cause she shared her choice with me.

I can tell you right now though, that bike is sprung all wrong for her, so budget that into the purchase cost if it's really for her.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah, unless she is enormous, .90 springs are going to be way too stiff.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
She said, taken from Gtalk (she's at home on school break):

I LIKE IT!!!!!!!!!
A LOT
alkjsfdjlkasdfkljsdl;kfj
YES I WANNA *CRIES*
the more u talk about it
the more i fall in love

She weighs 170, winter weight. She's usually 150-160 lb. (tall girl)

If anything, my K3 would be more appropriate as it has stock suspension.

the walkin dude fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Mar 4, 2011

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

the walkin dude posted:

She weighs 170, winter weight. She's usually 150-160 lb. (tall girl)

If anything, my K3 would be more appropriate as it has stock suspension.
Looking at more like a .80kg spring then :v:
.90 would be for like a 220lb rider on the street.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
What would it be like for her? Would it be teeth-rattlingly stiff?

I just asked the owner for a test-ride.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

the walkin dude posted:

What would it be like for her? Would it be teeth-rattlingly stiff?

I just asked the owner for a test-ride.
Yes. It's not gonna be fun for her to ride, it's gonna be like having basically no suspension.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
I rode a 2005 SV650s from a guy in my class, I think I rather liked it! I was having problems shifting because most of his shifter was gone and there was some sharp rear end screw/bolt being used as a shifter :v, otherwise I really liked the power it had off of idle, it kind of surprised me at first. We'd done a compression test on both cylinders and replaced both sparkplugs, it's interesting working on that Vtwin configuration and how the radiator has to be unmounted a bit for better access, otherwise it was fairly easy to work on.

Hmm I kind of want one.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
What's everyone's opinion on the SV1000? Does it mostly only vary from the 650 in power and weight? 125HP and 70Nm torque sounds like a fun combination. It's a little less than the Z1000 I've been lusting over, but it's also going to be a lot cheaper.

edit: and how many parts transfer from the SV650?

hayden. fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Mar 10, 2011

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

hayden. posted:

What's everyone's opinion on the SV1000? Does it mostly only vary from the 650 in power and weight? 125HP and 70Nm torque sounds like a fun combination. It's a little less than the Z1000 I've been lusting over, but it's also going to be a lot cheaper.

edit: and how many parts transfer from the SV650?

I'd take an older Z1000 over the SV1000. Better suspension, better seating position (as we only got a handful of the SV1000Ns), and a lot more fun all around.

No significant parts transfer between the SV650 and the 1k. The 1k also doesn't have nearly the span of aftermarket parts either...

I'd take a 650 over a 1k, personally. Or an older Vtwin sportbike, if that's what you want...RC51s are finally coming down to a reasonable price, there's bikes like the superhawk and such available for cheap.

Basically, if you're happy with the SV1k as it sits, it's a fine motorcycle. If you want to tinker or mod, you should go with the 650 or a bike that was designed with what you want in mind. The 1k is noticeably heavier and less flickable/fun around town, IMO. The SV650 comes together to be better than the sum of it's parts, the SV1k seems to just come out as average.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

Previous gen Z1000 is pretty ugly to me, so I don't think that's really an option (I'm shallow, I know). SV650 seems like a great bike, but it's about as powerful as my Ninja 650 was and I really want something that's got a fair bit more punch to it. RC51s are torture racks from what I hear and aren't very common. I do appreciate the input even if I shoot it all down :)

edit: Superhawks aren't as ugly as I was thinking, but they're looking pretty sporty.

hayden. fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Mar 10, 2011

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

hayden. posted:

Previous gen Z1000 is pretty ugly to me, so I don't think that's really an option (I'm shallow, I know). SV650 seems like a great bike, but it's about as powerful as my Ninja 650 was and I really want something that's got a fair bit more punch to it. RC51s are torture racks from what I hear and aren't very common. I do appreciate the input even if I shoot it all down :)

edit: Superhawks aren't as ugly as I was thinking, but they're looking pretty sporty.

Superhawks are fairly comfortable in my experience but limited by a small tank, we never got the bigger tank that was available in europe. Comfort is sort of a hit or miss thing, so it might be worth sitting on an RC51, I have a friend who does 800 mile days on his.

I guess the real question is...what do you want to do with the bike?

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
Next week, I'll be owning two blue naked SV650's. Years 2000 and 2003. :gizz:

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001
I bought the suzuki aftermarket gel seat. It was 1/2 price of corbin/sargeant, and I like it so far just sitting on it in the garage. Going to get out on it today.

Reviews are mixed.. some people like them others dont. I figure worst comes to worst I'll sell it on for $100 after reshaping the stock seat.

Ill write something more on it in a few weeks after I've done some proper mileage on it.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

Z3n posted:

Superhawks are fairly comfortable in my experience but limited by a small tank, we never got the bigger tank that was available in europe. Comfort is sort of a hit or miss thing, so it might be worth sitting on an RC51, I have a friend who does 800 mile days on his.

I guess the real question is...what do you want to do with the bike?

Just a fast (preferably 120HP+) torquey commuter with minimal weight on the wrists and a semblance of wind protection (not super important). Also preferably under $5k used because anything more I'd rather just make the jump to the 2010 Z1000.

hayden. fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Mar 11, 2011

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Suzuki Bandit 1200?
Aprilia Tuono/Falco/Futura?
Yamaha FZ1?
Kawasaki ZRX1x00, ZZR1x00?
Honda 919?

All of those can be had in that price range. There's also the rarer options like the KTM Super Duke, or the BMWs, or one of the more performance oriented Ducati Monsters.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

The ZZR is hideous, the ZXR is awesome except that terrible tail section that ruins it, Aprilias are also kind of ugly and too rare. Honda 919 looks a little slow.

The Bandit and FZ1 are definitely contenders after looking more closely. The Bandit has more torque, but the FZ1 does make considerably more HP with a few mods (though is a fair bit down on low-end grunt). They also both look awesome with their naked headlights, though the FZ1 naked wasn't brought to NA I don't think.

Anyway, thanks for the input and sorry for making GBS threads up the thread.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

The bandit 1200 has basically the ultimate freight train engine, it redefines flat torque curve, putting out drat near 80 foot pounds from 2k RPM. The FZ1 would be nicer up a twisty road, although in the right hands the bandit is definitely no slouch.

There's also the hayabusa and cbrxx options.

Isn't this the thread for bike recommendations anyways? ;)

Edit: no I guess it's the SV thread. Oh well :shobon:

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
So I bought the new SV. The girlfriend rode it back home alongside me. Happiness exploded all over. She's still a learning rider, and said that the SV was definitely different from her old Ninja 250.

I then took out the bike for a good hour. That bike has Sonic springs, a ZX-10R shock, 14/47 sprockets, and a R6 throttle tube. And a set of Avon tires.

Holy hell. My (other) SV is all of a sudden very, very diminutive. I need suspension upgrades for that thing. It makes for a world of difference. My confidence shot up way, way high with the new SV, and I found myself tossing it hard into corners like it was nothing. No longer do I fear the rear slipping under me, no longer do I fear the pogo-stick effect. :drat:

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.

Z3n posted:

Yes. It's not gonna be fun for her to ride, it's gonna be like having basically no suspension.

She seems perfectly fine with it. The bike does have gel seats and lead-weighted handlebars.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Most people ride around on bikes sprung wrong for them, and just don't know any better. Too soft (250) and too hard end up feeling kinda similar. One you bottom out all the time and it feels harsh, the other the suspension never moves through it's travel and it feels harsh.

But if shes happy with it and doesn't feel like it's too harsh, ride on :)

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Really feeling like rim tape and a proper HID/Halo conversion will look amazing this summer.

+

I want to be a rolling cauldron of neon blue retardation.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
I decided that I'm going to swap my crashed K3 SV for another with an upgraded suspension. The insurance adjuster will come by Monday to inspect the bike and let me know if insurance will total it or not. If it'll be fixed up, I'll then take it and sell it.

I found this K5 nearby, and will be picking it up very soon.

2001 Gixxer 1k front end
Converted from S to N
ZX-6R shock
automatic timing retard eliminater
cam swap for 1st gen cam
Power Commander III
shortened Yoshimura
dyno'd and adjusted for best power output (smooth up to redline)
rear sprocket dropped one tooth (I think), with 520 chain
Barnette clutch
Vapor gauge

I'm in love.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
:flashfap: Oh my.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Those rotors are really nice, I'm a big fan of them. Congrats on the new bike!

Although I'm not sure why you'd swap in Gen 1 cams. The Gen 2 cams are the better ones.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
Danke, real excited.

He said this about the cams

quote:

1st gen intake cam in place of 2nd gen exhaust cam. Gives a little more HP got rid of the engine braking.

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
Hey guys, I'm looking at purchasing my own bike and currently looking at this SV: http://www.dba.dk/suzuki-sv-650-abs-650-ccm/id-71725611/

The market here is sorta weird and prices are all over the place, however this seems like an OK deal considering new price for the 650SA is around 90k.

Is the Yoshi exhaust an improvement over the stock one? Is ABS a worthwhile option on the SV? Anything in particular I should be looking for if I go check it out?

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001

Icept posted:

Hey guys, I'm looking at purchasing my own bike and currently looking at this SV: http://www.dba.dk/suzuki-sv-650-abs-650-ccm/id-71725611/

The market here is sorta weird and prices are all over the place, however this seems like an OK deal considering new price for the 650SA is around 90k.

Is the Yoshi exhaust an improvement over the stock one? Is ABS a worthwhile option on the SV? Anything in particular I should be looking for if I go check it out?

Pretty much any aftermarket exhaust is an improvement over the stock can on the SV. For sound anyway.

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001

the walkin dude posted:

I decided that I'm going to swap my crashed K3 SV for another with an upgraded suspension. The insurance adjuster will come by Monday to inspect the bike and let me know if insurance will total it or not. If it'll be fixed up, I'll then take it and sell it.

2001 Gixxer 1k front end
Converted from S to N
ZX-6R shock
automatic timing retard eliminater
cam swap for 1st gen cam
Power Commander III
shortened Yoshimura
dyno'd and adjusted for best power output (smooth up to redline)
rear sprocket dropped one tooth (I think), with 520 chain
Barnette clutch
Vapor gauge

I'm in love.

That is a sexy bike.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

the walkin dude posted:

Danke, real excited.

He said this about the cams

Ahh, I did some research and you'll get an HP or 2 out of it, not the major change that you get from the Gen 1 getting the Gen 2 cams.

Congrats on the bike!

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001
After changing the fork springs/oil out my SV feels a lot better. I put in .90 springs and 20w (I weigh 195 or sol. From sonic springs it was 106$ shipped. I've had them sitting for months due not having time to change them and not having a front stand.

I can't recommend this enough. In corners where it used to feel squirrelly at 70 it now feels rock solid at faster speeds. Brake dive is much better also. It used to feel like the front end was bouncing around or something but now it tracks really well. It also seems to work better with the rear shock which I did a few months ago.. feels more balanced than it did with stock springs but I don't know how to actually articulate that feeling.
It actually surprised me because I wasn't expecting it to be that noticeable.

The strangest thing for me and it was mostly noticeable on the freeway is that the seating position seems to be better now too. I think the front sits up higher which takes some pressure off my wrists. I also got a gel seat a little while ago, and today I rode for 4 hours with a couple short gas stops and I feel pretty much fine. In the past this would have left me feeling pretty sore.

Next thing is to get the suspension sag set correctly cause right now both the fork and the zx-6r shock are pretty much randomly set.. the fork is adjusted preload half way, and the shock is set up as I got it. I think its a testament to how lovely the stock suspension is that this random mix of parts feels so much better.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
How hard was putting in the zx6r shock? Did you have to fabricate anything to make it fit?

I like turning wrenches but I'm not exactly a fabricator.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

the walkin dude posted:

Very nice. I might be a little biased, though. :D

...Does it have rearview mirrors?

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.

sirbeefalot posted:

Very nice. I might be a little biased, though. :D

...Does it have rearview mirrors?

Nope. The seller says "he doesn't need them." I think he's crazy. But my crashed SV had one mirror on it and I found that entirely sufficient. He's throwing in a free bicycle mirror which he uses for passing inspection.

Do y'all have any suggestions for wonderful bar-end mirrors? I might buy a pair of CRG Arrow mirrors through the SVrider forums (http://forum.svrider.com/showthread.php?t=133337)

def snow leppard
Sep 12, 2010

the walkin dude posted:

Does anyone know what the name of this headlight is? Or something similar? I've been thinking about converting my FZ6 to full naked and I've been looking for headlights like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
They're Buell headlights.

• Locked thread