Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I have a Intel Core 2 Duo E6550 in my HTPC (according to cpuz) and I need a new cooler for it. I noticed when I was swapping out the PSU the other day that the CPU fan is by far the loudest thing in the box. It's just the stock cooler that came with it. Looking at Newegg doesn't let me sort by CPU type, although the ones I looked at seem to be fairly interchangeable nowadays.

Any specific gotchas/brands I should be looking for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

EC posted:

I have a Intel Core 2 Duo E6550 in my HTPC (according to cpuz) and I need a new cooler for it. I noticed when I was swapping out the PSU the other day that the CPU fan is by far the loudest thing in the box. It's just the stock cooler that came with it. Looking at Newegg doesn't let me sort by CPU type, although the ones I looked at seem to be fairly interchangeable nowadays.

Just make sure its compatible with Socket 775, which essentially everythig is. If you have a full sized case, go with something like a Coolermaster Hyper 212, or something with similar design. If not, check out https://www.silentpcreview.com for their recommended coolers for slimmer cases.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Awesome!

I ended up ordering a drive off newegg with the 15% discount on wed and it's out for delivery today!

Hurray!!!!

55$ shipped for what amounts to overnight (ordered late wed, went out thursday) is not bad at all.

edit - Well, poop. Some of the reviews said it came with software, some said it didn't. Mine didn't :(

Stupid_Sexy_Flander fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Mar 5, 2011

Boody
Aug 15, 2001
Is there some reason go for an Acer 3610 over the 3700? I've some laptop memory and drives here along with an unused Win 7 license so was considering the basic 3700.

Strangely, the similar spec 3610 is 10-20% more expensive in the UK and only obvious differences are Atom 330 1.6Ghz versus D525 1.8Ghz, ION versus ION2 and the colour.

messiercup
Mar 2, 2011

Anyone familiar with Boxee on Windows?

I'm having a weird issue with jerkiness on playback, DXVA enabled. Not an issue with other DXVA-enabled players like MPC-HC.

Medikit
Dec 31, 2002

que lástima

EC posted:

You can decrease the fan speed in the bios if you are using the 4 pin connector. That's what I did.

rugbert
Mar 26, 2003
yea, fuck you
Whats a good replacement for Ember Media Manager? The project moved to google code and it doesnt look like the installer works anymore.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
EMM -R - http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?t=90682

xmm2 - http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?t=85696

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Medikit posted:

You can decrease the fan speed in the bios if you are using the 4 pin connector. That's what I did.

So I did this, but maybe y'all can help explain it. I switched the CPU fan mode from SMART to MANUAL, and then set the target CPU speed to the lowest setting (75 out of 225). I don't know what those numbers refer to. The fan is definitely quieter now (woohoo!) and I'll keep a watch on temps from here on out. I was just curious as to where the terminology is from.

Fox_Spy
Mar 19, 2006
Lifeguard of the Apocalypse
Lately I've been noticing that some video files won't play properly when streaming to my Revo 3610 running XBMC 10.0 over a wired connection. I assumed the file was messed up and got a new copy. This usually resolved the issue. Well, last night I discovered that the files actually play fine on other machines, like my netbook or my old P4 3Ghz. I suspect since I just have a standard Revo 3610 with a gig of memory running Win 7, that I need to add the Broadcom CrystalHD card and that should my problems. From checking some stuff online about it, I figure I just need to make sure I have the windows drivers for the card on hand after I put it into the Revo. Is there anything else I need to know about doing this? Or anything I may be overlooking as far as my problem goes? 99.9% of videos play fine for me.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004

Fox_Spy posted:

Lately I've been noticing that some video files won't play properly when streaming to my Revo 3610 running XBMC 10.0 over a wired connection. I assumed the file was messed up and got a new copy. This usually resolved the issue. Well, last night I discovered that the files actually play fine on other machines, like my netbook or my old P4 3Ghz. I suspect since I just have a standard Revo 3610 with a gig of memory running Win 7, that I need to add the Broadcom CrystalHD card and that should my problems. From checking some stuff online about it, I figure I just need to make sure I have the windows drivers for the card on hand after I put it into the Revo. Is there anything else I need to know about doing this? Or anything I may be overlooking as far as my problem goes? 99.9% of videos play fine for me.

You don't need the broadcom card if you have a Revo. You should be able to offload the processing to the Ion. In XBMC make sure you have selected the hardware acceleration radial button and your windows drivers are up to date.

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010
e: oops intended for the xbmc thread.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Fox_Spy posted:

I have a revo3610 wired and I have zero issues playing local or streaming video. Do you have DVXA set as an option withing XBMC?

Fox_Spy
Mar 19, 2006
Lifeguard of the Apocalypse

savesthedayrocks posted:

You don't need the broadcom card if you have a Revo. You should be able to offload the processing to the Ion. In XBMC make sure you have selected the hardware acceleration radial button and your windows drivers are up to date.

Updated my ION graphics drivers via Windows Update and turns on DVXA. I still get the same odd behavior when I start the episode. The first second or two seems normal, although no sound, then it slows way down and doesn't work.

Hmmm.. just checked something, since Transparency is nicely showing me all sorts of info about the files. It's not my video, it's the sound. The MP3 works fine, It's the Dolby Digital 2.0 that doesn't work. Both are DIVX for video.

Edit: Ok, now I feel stupid, I unchecked the Dolby Digital Capable Receiver under settings, now it works fine.

Fox_Spy fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Mar 9, 2011

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
So I want a HTPC.

I also like to play flight simulator on my 52inch tv.

Am I going to be able to run xplane at all on a Revo3700?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Captain Apollo posted:

So I want a HTPC.

I also like to play flight simulator on my 52inch tv.

Am I going to be able to run xplane at all on a Revo3700?

Chrome is the only browser I can use on my 3610. Firefox takes ages to load. That ought to tell you something.

They're low-power machines that happen to play media really well thanks to acceleration.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Thanks. That's pretty good information :(

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
The Revos are known to not be gaming machines. They can do anything else you'd expect from an HTPC but that.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Bonzo posted:

The Revos are known to not be gaming machines. They can do anything else you'd expect from an HTPC but that.

For reference, I've got a 3700. Emulation stops at Sega CD/32x: Saturn and N64 emulators fall down. I've gotten Poker Night at the Inventory to run off Steam, but it takes forever to load and I have to play it at the lowest possible settings.

They're great for emulation before N64-generation and old DOS/Lucasarts games though!

Cream
May 6, 2007
Fett-kart

Peas and Rice posted:

For reference, I've got a 3700. Emulation stops at Sega CD/32x: Saturn and N64 emulators fall down. I've gotten Poker Night at the Inventory to run off Steam, but it takes forever to load and I have to play it at the lowest possible settings.

They're great for emulation before N64-generation and old DOS/Lucasarts games though!

Most N64 games run fine for me on a Revo 6310. Maybes it's the gimped graphics on the 3700 holding you back.

E. Typo

Cream fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Mar 11, 2011

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Is there a more expensive ready made computer that COULD run a game or two?

What would be the trade off, power consumption and heat?

rugbert
Mar 26, 2003
yea, fuck you
Whats a good media scraper for music? Ember is awesome for movies and poo poo, but I need something fantastic to start helping me organize my music collection.

Kash
Jul 17, 2003

It's ironic. I finally have love in my heart but, alas, there is blood in my urine.
Are there any HTPC cases with some kind of cover or something over the Optical drive bay? I recently got a new blu-ray drive, and while it works great, the blue activity light(/eject button) is really bright and distracting when it's reading a disc. I'd prefer not to have to put tape over it or something.

I'm intending to get a nice new case and some new guts soon, but this is concerning me somewhat.

Or if there's a way to turn off that light that would work too. It's a Samsung SH-B123L.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Kash posted:

Are there any HTPC cases with some kind of cover or something over the Optical drive bay? I recently got a new blu-ray drive, and while it works great, the blue activity light(/eject button) is really bright and distracting when it's reading a disc. I'd prefer not to have to put tape over it or something.

I'm intending to get a nice new case and some new guts soon, but this is concerning me somewhat.

Or if there's a way to turn off that light that would work too. It's a Samsung SH-B123L.

There should be tons of HTPC cases that have doors for the optical drive, which should hide the eject button light.

If you want to hide it, some well placed nail polish should do it.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Kash posted:

Those bay doors never fit right. You often have to snap the front lip off the drive tray to make the tray fit through the door, making the drive more open to dust. The "push through" button on the doors never seem to line up with the eject button on the drive either.

Kalix
May 8, 2009
What's the take on using a Mac Mini as an HTPC these days? I know they added an HDMI port so it's a little easier than the past.

I also know that there are cheaper solutions (by about a 200-300 dollars) in the form of the Revo...but seems like it's not terribly capable in some aspects?

Basically; I was looking to use just a streamer. But it seems like with a NAS and a Streamer, might be tough for some things. Particularly, music playback, viewing some videos on different sites, that sort of thing.
Seems like for a streamer, you really need a desktop pc of some kind hanging around to make life easier.

For what it's worth, I have a desktop that I sort of use in a HTPC sense now- hooked it up to a 32inch tv as a monitor, mostly use it for video, music, browsing.
It's just large and it sounds like a small jet, but i've grown accustomed to the sound.

Quarantini
Aug 9, 2010
I am thinking about ditching my comcast cable television, I pay $50 for internet and something like $80 for TV. I just don't need it/can't afford it. Are any of the IPTV players (hulu/netflix) worth a poo poo? The biggest thing I am going to miss is general channel surfing and news, and I follow a couple TV series (house, breaking bad, burn notice, the office).

I am willing to accept some hassle for saving a fair amount of money a month, but I still feel like IPTV is still in it's infancy, or am i misinformed?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Quarantini posted:

I am thinking about ditching my comcast cable television, I pay $50 for internet and something like $80 for TV. I just don't need it/can't afford it. Are any of the IPTV players (hulu/netflix) worth a poo poo? The biggest thing I am going to miss is general channel surfing and news, and I follow a couple TV series (house, breaking bad, burn notice, the office).

I am willing to accept some hassle for saving a fair amount of money a month, but I still feel like IPTV is still in it's infancy, or am i misinformed?

Just FYI, "IPTV" generally refers to cable-like subscription TV service such as AT&T uVerse. You're the only one who can really say if you'll be satisfied with the content that's available online, but many of us have ditched cable in favor of streaming.

Be aware that appliance devices are limited in which services they can access (and sometimes how much they can access from those services. That's one reason why more capable "real computer" nettops are popular.

eddiewalker fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Mar 20, 2011

Quarantini
Aug 9, 2010

eddiewalker posted:

Be aware that appliance devices are limited in which services they can access (and sometimes how much they can access from those services. That's one reason why more capable "real computer" nettops are popular.

Yea I knew i was misusing the term IPTV, I am thinking about ditching my comcast cable TV service and building a beefy "PC" HTPC, (windows or linux or something), running xbmc, then having the hulu or netflix app tied into it. I guess I should just give it a try, I can always come back to cable.

edit: also, does live streaming of sports events exist? (not referring to FILEZ stuff, but with any of the providers like hulu/netflix) or is it just streaming "static" content?

Quarantini fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Mar 21, 2011

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Quarantini posted:

Yea I knew i was misusing the term IPTV, I am thinking about ditching my comcast cable TV service and building a beefy "PC" HTPC, (windows or linux or something), running xbmc, then having the hulu or netflix app tied into it. I guess I should just give it a try, I can always come back to cable.

edit: also, does live streaming of sports events exist? (not referring to FILEZ stuff, but with any of the providers like hulu/netflix) or is it just streaming "static" content?

Major League Baseball, the NBA, and the NHL have streaming services, though they may be subject to what's called "local blackout," which is a game being unable to stream in an area where it is showing on TV. ESPN3 is the current titan of online streaming sports but unfortunately it generally comes as part of an ESPN subscription (like through cable tv) and even then is only available through certain internet providers.

ControlledBurn
Sep 7, 2006

Frost his bag!

TheScott2K posted:

Major League Baseball, the NBA, and the NHL have streaming services, though they may be subject to what's called "local blackout," which is a game being unable to stream in an area where it is showing on TV. ESPN3 is the current titan of online streaming sports but unfortunately it generally comes as part of an ESPN subscription (like through cable tv).

ESPN3 has nothing to do with having a television subscription, but is instead dependent on your ISP

http://espn.go.com/espn3/affList?device=null

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004

Quarantini posted:

I am thinking about ditching my comcast cable TV service and building a beefy "PC" HTPC, (windows or linux or something), running xbmc, then having the hulu or netflix app tied into it. I guess I should just give it a try, I can always come back to cable.

FYI there is no Netflix support for linux, so include windows licencing into your cost/features mix. I already have it on my ps3, so duplicating it wasn't a big deal and saved money by going linux.

Quarantini
Aug 9, 2010

savesthedayrocks posted:

FYI there is no Netflix support for linux, so include windows licencing into your cost/features mix. I already have it on my ps3, so duplicating it wasn't a big deal and saved money by going linux.

Yea i figured as much, no big deal, getting my cheapo MCE remote working under linux is a PITA and I really don't have a good reason to not run windows.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

ControlledBurn posted:

ESPN3 has nothing to do with having a television subscription, but is instead dependent on your ISP

http://espn.go.com/espn3/affList?device=null

On Time Warner cable, at least, you need both.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

Captain Apollo posted:

Is there a more expensive ready made computer that COULD run a game or two?

What would be the trade off, power consumption and heat?
Most ready-made computers that can act as both media centers and casual gaming machines are still in full ATX-sized cases from companies like Sony, HP, Lenovo, etc. They also seem to come with TV tuners and other crap you could get for a lot cheaper building the system yourself as well as some proprietary media center software that has maybe 20% of the capability of XBMC due to software companies being deadly careful about DRM and pissing off RIAA, MPAA, or cable TV networks. I think they've started to phase these machines out due to low sales.

The trade-off with a more powerful GPU and CPU setup is that of more power drawn (even during idle), which translates into more heat, more heat requires more cooling capacity, which in turn typically requires fans, heatsinks, and / or (the most common case) a bigger case, excluding the fact that most gaming capable graphics cards wouldn't fit into a small mini ITX case to begin with.

rugbert
Mar 26, 2003
yea, fuck you
Are there any benefits to using Windows7 over Ubuntu for my setup? Right now I have XBMC auto launching on my HTPC and torrentflux running in the background.

I guess my roommate would want to use Netflix on it instead of turning on the Wii but thats not that big of a deal.

Also - Whats a good music scraper? Ember only does TV and Movies.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

rugbert posted:

Also - Whats a good music scraper? Ember only does TV and Movies.

I hate recommending products that cost money, but for Windows, TuneUp actually is quite amazing. Out of my library of 3000 or so songs, it only messed up 2, all I had to do was select my entire library, add it to the TuneUp queue and come back a couple hours later.

If you do decide to get it, be sure to use a coupon code to save a few bucks.

Sudden Loud Noise fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Mar 23, 2011

Chris Awful
Oct 2, 2005

Tell your friends they don't have to be scared or hungry anymore comrades.
So, my receiver thinks 1360x768 is a 1080p signal and outputs 1080p to my HDTV. Can I use HDMI for digital audio to my receiver and HDMI-DVI to my HDTV for video? I was going to buy a powered HDMI splitter, but seeing as I have a DVI port in addition to HDMI, that is unnecessary?

Umph
Apr 26, 2008

Is there any HTPC software that runs amazon/netflix/hulu+ and local library all in one? So far I know Plex/boxee/roku/xbmc do not. I don't want to have to exit one program and fire up another every time I want to switch providers whos content I'm paying for.

Why won't someone make something that works with every payed service and become a billionaire? Like Roku looked neat but it won't play files on my server. Do any of you know a box/frontend that actually wants my money?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Umph posted:

Is there any HTPC software that runs amazon/netflix/hulu+ and local library all in one? So far I know Plex/boxee/roku/xbmc do not. I don't want to have to exit one program and fire up another every time I want to switch providers whos content I'm paying for.

Why won't someone make something that works with every payed service and become a billionaire? Like Roku looked neat but it won't play files on my server. Do any of you know a box/frontend that actually wants my money?

That's what all of us want.

It doesn't exist.